New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images)

It's set in the options. Click "more options" right under the big blue upload button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bah. They're all 4:3, while I'm using a 16:10 screen. Looks like I'm left manually resizing in GIMP, or else I get fuzzy interp and/or stretching.

Oh well. I'll post next update (finishing off origin) later tonight, hopefully.

In retrospect, I'm stupid. It's already rescaled them, I just had to look at the resolution.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-20 at 03:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

It preserves aspect ratio when scaling. It works fine, don't worry.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update the Second: A Mission, a Betrayal, an Escape
    Spoiler
    Show

Carrot here again. After a good night's sleep wherein, I wasn't assasinated I've been sent, on a mission! Retrieving a shield from these "darkspawn" the cause, of this Blight apparently. Sort of a symbolic blow.

Sirs I am placing, you under arrest!

Are you resisting arrest?

Good to meet you, sir. I designate you an Acting Constable. Please assist me in restraining these lawbreakers.

Hello sir. You're an Acting Constable as well. Please provide fire support if necessary.

Interesting, it appears someone has already arrived here to retrieve the shield. Since we're the only designated operation in the area it appears, we have an illegal retrieval operation.

Sirs put down, your weapons. You're all under arrest for attempted theft of royal property.

Unsurprisingly they resist, arrest. I need to start teaching the importance of deferring to authority.

Interesting. They had Trian's signet ring. This seems to implicate him in an illegal, attempt to retrieve the shield. I shall report this to Endrin as soon as I return.
    The shield is guarded by a fiendish puzzle. Thankfully, I've been instructed on how to operate this convoluted device. Pressure plates in the floor... clever.

Sucess. We return outside and are greeted, by even more darkspawn. Unavoidable hostilities commence.

What is this? It appears Trian has been murdered! Axe wounds... this was the work of a dwarf.

No sirs, I'm innocent. Don't worry I'll help, you find the murderer.

It appears that I have picked my Acting Constables... poorly. Plants I suppose.

Gorim speaks up in my defence, of course, but is overruled due to bias. What is going on...
    Aha. The pieces come together. This was Bhelen's work. A play for the sucession. I suppose I should comply with the officers of the law I'll deal, with Bhelen when I have the chance. Murder one is pretty obvious here.

Day 3: Prison is remarkably boring. I can understand why people don't like being here. I wonder what's going on.

Constable Gorim! Report!

Not precisely what I hoped for. Execution isn't how I expected to end my first diplomatic commission.
    Wait so I'm being released in the tunnels, near Duncan and the Grey Wardens? Excellent. All the chance I need. Good luck on the surface Constable I, hope to see you again.

Time to go into the Deep Roads.
    A sword? Thank you very much Lord, Harrowmont.

SPIDERS. I HATE SPIDERS.

OW. WHY IS EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY HOSTILE.

Ah, here we go. Duncan! Good to see you. If you have any ideas for fighting this Blight I'd love, to hear them.

Travel with you to a battle? Certainly. Be inducted as a Grey Warden? I'd be honored.

Next update:
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyways, feedback, anyone? Am I speaking to empty internet? Do I need to refine my narrative style? I admit I am having difficulties translating Carrot to a rather foreign situation, so any further advice there would be useful.
    By Chiasaur's request, comma mangling. It hurts to do that
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-21 at 04:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Needs more wanton cruelty to the common comma.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Chapter the Third: Ostagar and the Joining
    Spoiler
    Show

Having arrived at the human fortress, of Ostagar where it appears the human army is preparing a major action, against the darkspawn. The mountains are large here.

Oh hello, your Majesty!

King Cailain seems very optimistic, about his chances against the darkspawn. I'm not sure if he's correct, or not.

Duncan, disagrees. He thinks we haven't seen some "archdemon" that, is very dangerous.

Anyways he wants to start, a ritual to make me a, Grey Warden called "The Joining". Apparently it has some risks, associated but if it's necessary I'll certainly do it.

First, I have to find his other candidates for Grey Wardens. I'm sure they'll be happy to help enforce the law.

I designate you Acting, Constable Alistair. I'm not entirely sure I understand you, were raised by dogs?

Hello Commander Loghain. Captain Carrot reporting. Your assessment of the situation?

Loghain is rather pessimistic. He believe Cailain is a fool for trusting so much to the Wardens. Treason? No disputing, is necessary in a command structure.

I designate you Acting, Constable Jory. I'm sure we'll get along well.

Sir, that dog... my, GOD GASPODE! What are you doing here!?
    Ill? What can I do to help?

Retrieve a flower? As soon as possible my, friend.

A prisoner. He seems to be kept under, inhumane conditions. Food and water? I'll get some, for you.

The man is going to die! Final requests are protected by, the law sir.

Here you go.

I designate you Acting, Constable Daveth. Don't break any laws and, we'll be fine.

Hello, ma'am. How will the mages be assisting us?

Interesting. According to, Wynne the mage the darkspawn, are the result of mages trying to go somewhere in the "Fade". What a strange conception, of the world.

I've found my Constables now what, Duncan?

Ah retrieving the blood, of our enemies. Not a particularly civilized, concept. Also you want some treaties recovered? Certainly.

Wolves. They don't attack, people they don't attack people... they're attacking. This country is far, too hostile.

An injured soldier his group, wiped out by darkspawn. Poor man we'll help him, back.

Acting Constable Jory is concerned by the darkspawn. Take heart they, aren't too dangerous.

See? They're dangerous but, survivable. Ah, found the flower!

Poor dead, missionary.

I later retrieve his strongbox to bring to his wife in Redcliffe. I'm not sure, where Redcliffe is but, I'll bring it.

Darkspawn have MAGES? NOT GOOD.

Hm let's sprinkle some, ash on these rocks... supposedly it summons a genie who grants us three wishes.

NOT A GENIE

We finally cut our way through the last of the darkspawn and get to the tower where the treaties are kept. Unsurpisingly they're, not, there.

This woman wearing very few clothes is here.

Her name is Morrigan and she claims her mother Flemeth, took the scrolls. We go with her to recover them.

Apparently this Blight is unusually hazardous. Ok ma'am.

We return to camp. Gaspode? GASPODE? Oh you're alive. Here's this flower.

Yaay we can get this ritual going.

Well there goes, Acting Constable Daveth. Suddenly this Joining seems like not such a good idea. Jory agrees, and is summarily killed by Duncan.

Ouch. I suppose I don't have much choice then. Here goes.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

It feels awkward posting closely in sucession.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-21 at 04:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Don't worry about that. Making the dog into Gaspode is funny. Not exactly "right", but I honestly didn't expect you to try playing a "Discworld" Carrot in the first place. I figured you'd play a "Fereldan" Carrot - adopted by the Aeducans, good man in a very dirty world style of thing. I was at first worried that this approach would be too awkward to maintain, but you seem to have found an angle that works quite well. Nice job.

8. - Top - End - #38

If I may make a suggestion, including more dialogue might help those who haven't played the game to keep up. You can even take liberties with it, to make it a more Carroty one. Comparisons/references to Ankh-Morpork or characters that Carrot knows might help establish the feel, too.

I like the acting Constable thing, and the dog name, though.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thank you, I'll start with that. Probably means I'll be ripping dialogue from the wiki or something, but I can certainly try. Liberties are difficult because making anyone from Diskworld ingame is already awkward. Dog is about as far as I can plausibly stretch. Similarly, references, except for talking about background, are quite odd. Comparisons work though, and I can probably make up some dialogue from memory. Framing it will be interesting.
    Meh, I took it and ran with it literally. It's actually pretty hard to maintain, because no one fits the world quite right, and the situations given seem out of his normal range. But presumably, I'll eventually forgo most of the major references, because most people going through the events of DA:O would probably be changed quite a bit.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-21 at 05:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, you could portray Morrigan as a substitute for Angua. Just make her use wolf as her primary form.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alright, then I need to retcon her intro, and... well, get her trained in wolf shapeshifting (eewww). Also, that means she's a romance option, which is weird for poor Carrot. I think I'll compare, but avoid, since that sort of magic isn't exactly Angua, and I'm not lugging around a wolf-form Morrigan all the time

Anyways, the brief update 4: Resolving a Cliffhanger, Climbing a Tower, and another Cliffhanger
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well I'm, still alive. Won't deny that was painful and, a mite scary but, I'm a Grey Warden now.

Carrot: I can't believe you killed Sir Jory!
    Duncan: Jory made his decision. When he drew his blade, he left me no choice.
    Carrot: It wasn't necessary. You're better than that.
    Duncan: Maybe. Are you willing to do what needs to be done?
    Carrot: What needs to be done.

Duncan gives me some time to recover before we go, to the strategy meeting for the battle.

Loghain feels Cailain's plan is foolish. Cailain in, turn recommends that we wait for the "Orlesian" wardens. Loghain adamantly opposes this something, about Orlesians, once enslaving Fereldan. They hash out a plan where, Loghain flanks the darkspawn horde while Cailain draws their attention. The signal will be a fire lit, in the Tower of Ishal. Apparently our mission is to go, light that torch. Alistair seems to feel, this is an excellent idea (unless it's that human sarcasm...)

Duncan sends us off. We get a nice view of the battle down below. Looks good so far...

Tower is overrun by darkspawn? Looks like this is going to be more interesting than expected. I designate you Special Constables Mace, and Stick since, you don't actually have names of your own. Good luck don't wear, too much red.

Darkspawn outside the tower...

Darkspawn inside the tower...

Alistair notes the unexpected presence of darkspawn after some time. Yes, Alistair, there are darkspawn. I thought you were complaining about being bored.

Apparently dogs, here are rather brutal combatants. Ouch.

Well we're at, the top of the tower.

Crap.
    Some punching of ogre later...

Lance-Corporal Alistair you've earned, a promotion. Good work.

Meanwhile, outside...
    Spoiler
    Show

Loghain pulls out of his flank without engaging, leaving the rest of the army to die.

Cailain's dead.

Duncan acts like a badass, but dies shortly after.

Agh, more darkspawn

Whew. Four updates, 3ish days. Of course, ingame, I'm in the mage tower now, about... 3-4 updates ahead of where I am here. Need to catch up...
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-21 at 07:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

This is pretty good, but I think it would be even better if you showed Carrot's account of things in the form of letters written to his parents (Dearest Mume and Dad). I think his atrocious use of commas and double exclamation points will make a little more sense that way, as opposed to simply making him sound like William Shatner.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Really like where you are going with this. Will be reading.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 5: Awakening and Lothering
    Editing narrative style again. Hmm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Report 5: Date unknown
    I woke up in a bed a, rather confusing place to be after being shot, by darkspawn.
    The first thing to greet me was this... woman.

Morrigan: I see your eyes are finally open. Mother will be pleased.
    Carrot: I remember you, Morrigan.
    M: Indeed. How does the rest of your memory fare? Do you remember mother's rescue?
    C: Wait, what happened the the army? To the king?
    M: Your other commander withdrew his troops. Those who remained were massacred. Your friend... is not taking it well.
    C: You mean Alistair? Where is he?
    M: He's outside, by the fire.
    C: Thank you for your help, Morrigan.
    M: Thank you ; but Mother did most of the work.

Outside by the fire I, find Lance-Corporal Alistair.

A: Duncan's dead. The Grey Wardens, even the king... they're all dead. This doesn't seem real. If it weren't for Morrigan's mother, we'd be dead on top of that tower.
    Flemeth: Do not talk about me as if I wasn't present, lad. (YIKES!! Where did she come from?!)
    C: Thank you for your help. Is there any way we can repay you?
    F: Certainly. Do your duty as Wardens. It has always been the Grey Wardens' duty to unite the lands against the Blight. Or did that change when I wasn't looking?
    C: No it hasn't.
    A: But we were fighting the darkspawn! The king had nearly defeated them! Why would Loghain do this?

F: Now that is a good question. Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature. Perhaps he believes the Blight is an army he can outmaneuver. Perhaps he does not see that the evil behind it is the true threat.
    A: The Archdemon.
    F: Indeed.
    C: What is this Archdemon?
    A: One of the Tevinter Old Gods, sealed underground by the Maker. When the darkspawn come across one, they corrupt it, and it becomes their leader, and raises them in a blight.
    C: Sounds like we have to kill it.
    A: Essentially. But no one's done that without the armies of at least half-a-dozen nations... of course!! The treaties!!

C: Convenient. So we raise an army. What do we do about Loghain?
    A: If Arl Eamon knew what happened, he wouldn't stand for it. There would be civil war!!
    C: So, where is he?
    A: At Redcliffe. So, are we doing this? Going to the elves, mages, dwarves, and Eamon, raising an army, and cleaning up this Blight?
    C: Sounds like a plan.

F: So you are ready to be Grey Wardens then?
    C: Indeed. Thank you for your help Flemeth.
    F: Before you go, I have one more thing to offer you.

M: The stew is bubbling, Mother dear. Shall we have two guests for the eve or none?
    F: The Grey Wardens are leaving shortly, girl. And you will be joining them.
    M: Such a shame-- What?
    C: Are you sure about this, Flemeth?
    F: You need her. She has potent magic, and knows how to get out of these wilds, past the Darkspawn.
    A: Not to... look a gift horse in the mouth, but won't this add to our problems? Out of the Wilds, she's an apostate.
    F: If you do not wish help from us illegal mages, young man, perhaps I should have left you on that tower.
    A: Point.
    M: Mother... this is not how I wanted this. I am not even ready--
    F: They need you, Morrigan. Without you, they will surely fail, and all will perish under the Blight. Even I.
    M: I... understand.

And we, have a shapeshifting mage join our new force. Lance Constable Morrigan, welcome.

We travel along the road out of the wilds and, encounter... GASPODE!! Who's a good doggy!! Who's... oh, nice darkspawn. Thanks Gaspode.

After some combat, we arrive at Lothering, the nearby town. A lot of refugees here, looks like a good job for the Law.

Our first meeting is with some bandits outside. Ok, you're all under arrest. Put down your weapon and come quietly...

And this is why I TL:DR dialogue. Oh my god. I even cut out a good chunk of it. Well, that's all the exposition you hopefully need. Any readers who haven't played, you can follow, correct?

Already used 2% of my bandwidth. I'll have to keep that in mind. After I hit around 50%, create a new account, or what?

AHAHAHA after finishing circle tower, everyone automatically acts like I'm in a relationship with Morrigan, and I haven't even gotten the "cold bedroll" dialogue. Hilarious.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-22 at 05:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 6: Lothering, Leliana, and Sten
    Spoiler
    Show

Entry 6: Date: 9:30 Dragon Age, August 29

Ah, Lothering. Finally a town, to improve and render safe for the people.

What... the Wardens didn't betray Cailain!! This must be Loghain's work!!

Sir what can we do, to help? We did remove those bandits on the road.

Ah a, templar. Warriors of the Chantry designated, to hunt down illegal mages. Ironic he doesn't notice Morrigan.

Sir, what seems to be the problem here?

Honestly sir you'd still make a fine profit, at lower prices. Help the people, here it's the right thing to do.

Sir please, stop this commotion.

What's really bothering, you sir? You can tell me.

I'm sorry for your, loss but scaring these people won't help you. Move along.

We enter the local Chantry (Church), and talk with the Templar-Commander. Hello sir. I'm a Grey Warden and, I helped deal with your bandits. What else can I do here?

More bandits in the field outside? I'll deal with them.

Child what are you, doing here?

Your mother, is probably not alive. I'm sorry. Get to the Chantry.

You poor people what, happened to you?

Those bandits robbed you? Your possessions may still be up there, go get them.

Entering the local tavern we, immediately encounter some of Loghain's men. Why am I unsurprised.

A short fight later...
    Take a message to Loghain. We know what really happened.

Leliana, a sister of the chantry, wishes to join our group. She's extremely insistent claiming she, had a religious vision saying she had to follow me. Ok...
    Well I'm not one, to turn away help. Welcome, Lance-Constable Leliana.

Who is this man in the cage?
    [IMG]http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Arbitrarity/DAO
    %20Lothering/Screenshot20100420191901568.jpg[/IMG]

Huh. His name is Sten of the Qunari, people. Sten isn't really, a name it's a rank but, it will do, for now. Morrigan seems to think he'd be a useful addition to our Watch. First, however, we have to free him.

Apparently the Revered Mother of the Chantry has the key. We visit and make, a charitable donation.

And learn of Sten's crime. He murdered an entire family on a farm. Well nothing, like that will happen on my watch. Perhaps we can give him a chance to redeem himself.

All right. Lance-Constable, Sten, we're watching you. Make us proud. Beat down some darkspawn.

SPIDERS

We slay the local bandits preying on the town.

Ok really. Really?

Sorry attacking, an officer of the law means I am allowed to defend myself.

Recover a keepsake...

Wipe out some darkspawn...

And meet Bodahn and Sandal. Sandal seems, nice if a bit... odd. "ENCHANTMENT?!". Bodhan seems reasonable, except his prices are absolutely ridiculous.

And we're out, of Lothering. Time to make camp before, we go to Denerim to restore order. A good time to get to know our companions.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Recruiting Sten is always the last thing I do before heading out of Lothering to the bridge. Well, that and killing those refugees. (It's not what you think! They attacked me first!)
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-04-23 at 12:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 7: Meet the Team, Denerim
    Spoiler
    Show

AAAAAAAAHHH

Archdemon again. Alistair says the nightmares are common. Doesn't make them fun.

Anyways, we're camping on our way to Lothering. As good a time as any to talk with the others.

Sandal and Bodahn Feddic. Sandal is adopted, he's not too bright, but he's polite, and can enchant weapons with lyrium (magical metal) runes. Bodahn's a scavenger. He searches ruins and abandoned locations for lost treasures. He was exiled from Orzammar after he found some noble's bracers, and it was claimed he killed the man.

Alistair is a bastard of an unknown father, raised by Arl Eamon (of Redcliffe). He was sent to the Chantry at a young age (which he hated) and was trained as a Templar. Since then, he was recruited as a Warden by Duncan, whose loss has hit him hard. Alistair tends to deflect most questions, with humor making it difficult to interpret his answers (He might be raised by giant slobbering dogs... he mentioned that at some point). He is generally kind and law abiding a solid, if occasionally, slow companion.

Morrigan is a shapeshifting mage. She can turn into various, forms including a spider () and wolf. She's a fundamentally good person, with some flaws. She espouses a "survival of the fittest" philosophy is often unkind, to others ("And now we have a dog. And Alistair is still the stupidest member of the party.") and doesn't care about the law except isofar, as she can manipulate it. She's rather like Angua if Angua let her, instincts run wild and was generally harsher. Probably due to her mother. Hopefully I can help her show her caring side a bit, more through example.

Leliana is a sister of the Chantry, and an Orlesian bard. I've heard such bards are often spies which, implies something interesting about her background. However, she evaded such questions handily. Her vision from the Maker seems genuine on her part though, strange. It appears Orlais is the cultural hub of the area, having many luxuries and nice shoes.

Sten is very reserved. He tends to respond to questioning with short, responses which could be interpreted as humor. I'm uncertain what to do with him. Want to talk, Sten?

Enough time at camp. Onwards to the capital of Ferelden, Denerim.

Captain Kylon, I'm Captain Carrot. Are you in need of assistance?

Trouble at the local seamstresses? I'll do what I can.

Who is this...

This knight demands a duel. I suppose I have to indulge him, though he seems too eager.

I suppose some people can't leave well enough alone.

Interesting, a meeting of Wardens at the seamstresses?

Dwarven crafts, fine dwarven...
    Constable Gorim!!!

Yaaaaaay!! Gorim is here!! Tragically injured, so he can't help me directly. However, he's willing to purchase any gear I find at DOUBLE the price of any other merchant, which I immediately take advantage of, to lighten my backpack.

Apparently this city has gang problems in the back alleys. We go out to arrest them.

This city has problems with lethal force everywhere. I need to teach these people to behave.

This man is a deserter from a mercenary company, who stole supplies. I'm here to recover them.

Of course, he attacks me. Why am I not surprised?

Ah, the seamstress'.

Troublemakers, the "white falcons", a group of soldiers. By order of the guard, vacate the premises!!

Of course, they also attack me. Thankfully, they know when they've lost a fight, and leave peacefully.

I talk to the head seamstress.

Alrightmovingon

Captain Kylon again. This time he's been followed.

Indeed. I don't understand why people attack me either. Another group of mercenaries at a local bar? I'll deal with it.

With the law upheld and reinforced in Denerim, it's time to start collecting allies from our various treaties. First, we go to the Circle of Mages.

Of course, as we set out, we immediately run into an "abomination" a, mage twisted by a demon into a terrifying creature that thankfully tends not to cast spells.

Oh, and after you kill them, they explode. Argh.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-24 at 09:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Apologies for the delay in updating. I've had some unusual circumstances at home that made access to my computer with screenshots difficult.

Anyways. Update 8: Arriving at the Circle.
    Spoiler
    Show

On our way to the Circle, Tower we were ambushed.

It was not a significant threat.

It appears someone from Lance-Constable Leliana's past is threatening her. We'll deal with the problem on our next trip back to Denerim.

We arrive at the docks near the Tower.

Another deserter. He also attacks unsurprisingly.

Sir, we need to get accross the lake to the Tower.

Ummm... can we consider a diplomatic exchange? I really need to get across, as a Warden.

Morrigan is scary

As we arrive at the Tower, we find Knight-Commander Gregoir, holding the main doors.

Apparently the Circle was overrun by abominations, "blood mages" and demons. I volunteer to assist by clearing the tower of such threats. Gregoir grudgingly agrees but, will not allow me back out until the tower is free of all hostiles.

Wynne!! Hello again!!

Wynne informs us that the abominations likely are to do with one, mage Uldred. He's likely a very powerful abomination. Anyways no change, to the game plan. Go up the tower clear, everything, in the way and free any mages we can.

Abominations abound. Luckily weaker than the one we encountered before.

ARGH EXPLODING ON DEATH IS UNCOOL

We accidentally summon up a giant spikey bear from the fade. Oops.

After slaying, it we proceed up the tower to find Owain.

Owain is a "tranquil". They are mages who had their connection to the Fade (realm of dreams) severed and, so they have no emotions. At all. Talking to Owain is somewhat unnerving.

We find a group of "blood mages". Blood mages use blood to power their spells (duh), and so may be involved in, sacrifice or cut themselves. However they also are, the only mages to have mind control powers. Not good, not cool. Apparently there's an item in the, tower the "Litany of Andralla" that counteracts this mind control.

Poor mage. You can go free. The only reason you do anything wrong is because of the Chantry's oppression. Everyone deserves another chance if, we can give it to them.

Cutting through undead, abominations, and demons. Ladeedaaah.

Found a mage in a closet. He seems to think he's safe there so he can stay.

Found a black glass vial. Let's see that... Ooops.

agh giant undead possessed by a demon
    Cutting down the Revenant, we cut through undead mages, more demons, and... mind controlled templars!!?

A demon appears to be manipulating this templar. Desist and release this man immediately!!

Semantics was never my strong point. You will follow the law. Release him from your control.

In the, end the demon was uncooperative, and we slew her. She induced the templar to attack us, and we were unable to save him

Now, what's this? Demon begone!!

What...tired...zzzzzzzzzzz

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

This is ridiculous. You cannot expect me to fall asleep on a floor sticky with blood...

I never spare that Desire Demon either. Why should I? Because she's given that templar false happiness while she's slowly killing him? How is that so different than what every other demon does when they possess someone?
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-04-27 at 02:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

The demon could have made a cushion for you out of your own organs. You had only to ask.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, the various responses to the Sloth demon are amusing. Tragically, I missed them in screencap, but meh.

Update 9: The Fade

Spoiler
    Show

Whaaa...
    Where am I?

Duncan!! But... you're dead. Aren't you?

Something's not right here...

Well, I killed Duncan. I don't think that was really Duncan though.

Aha a, gate. Now, where does this go...

Huh. So we're trapped in "the fade", the realm of dreams, demons, and other problems. Perfect. I suppose I'll escape the same way I beat everything in this country. With Great Justice.

Now I can transform into a mouse. FEAR ME.

Cutting through illusory opponents...

Yay, I can become a flaming man.

Now I can become a golem!

Beating down the demon's lieutenants. With all of these dispatched I, can get to the demon.

Constable Wynne!! Snap out of it. This is the realm of dreams. Those aren't real dead people.

Creepy. Well after, the necessary "symbolic battle with nightmare" Wynne disappeared.

Lance-Constable Leliana!! Snap out of it. Realm of dreams. You aren't really at the Chantry.

Yes, she was a demon.

And poof, another magical disappearance. Argh. All my constables are leaving me.

Alistair!!

Wait you, have a sister? Huh. She's a demon you, realize?

Yeah I, predicted that one.

DAMMIT STOP DISAPPEARING.

Alright, let's do this.

I win. Let's get out of here.

Back in the real world, in the Tower, we woke up, recovered the Litany of Andralla, and have almost reached the top of the tower.

Poor templar. He seems to have been driven crazy by the blood mages. Well, we're here to secure the, tower not kill everyone. Let's go.

Well this, is Uldred. He makes the normal silly, offer UNLIMITED POWER.

Time to, die Uldred.

WHAT IS THIS

Too many transforming opponents. Uldred falls like everyone else after a lot of sword hits.

Yaaay, sucess.

Mages can help us now and, Corporal Wynne has been recruited. Excellent. Back to Denerim to deal with Leliana's past then, to the Brecilian Forest to recruit the elves.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember pausing for a moment of silence after coming out of the Fade while standing over Niall's body.

If nothing else, following your LP has been worth it for the close-up of the Pride Demon/Uldred. I never noticed all those little eyes before.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

True. I had some issues where screencaps failed if I hadn't performed some action in windows like looking at my screenshot directory. Made no sense, but I lost quite a few shots. I cut more, of course, but it still annoys me.
    Oh my god, every time anyone sees this page, it loads so many images. Ouch. I'm glad photobucket gives so much bandwidth.

Update 10: A Detour
    Spoiler
    Show

Back at camp after cleaning up the tower. Immediately I, was ambushed by Sten. In Sten's words; unexpected.

Pretty simple. Kill the Archdemon. Why were you in that cage, Sten?

Apparently Sten was part of a group, of Qunari fell against darkspawn lost, his sword and slaughtered, the farmers who found him thinking, they stole it. We'll go to find that sword. By Lake Calenhad?

I found this book in the tower Morrigan. Seems to be related to your mother.

Umm... get a thicker blanket?

Alistair continues mourning Duncan.

And then asks for juicy gossip.

Fundamentally Alistair, all of our constables are decent people. Some of them are, strange some may not do what, you expect but none of them are evil.

I chat a bit with Wynne.

She's a circle mage who believes strongly in the importance of duty and doing the right thing. We'll get along. She tends to ask a lot of abstract questions about responsibility but, approves of my responses.

Travelling to Denerim, Wynne collapses.

She later explains this is because she's dead and reanimated by a spirit of Faith. Not precisely what I expected.

Comes in handy when we get attacked by Darkspawn.

At Denerim, Gaspode finds a child. I'm... not sure exactly why.

We find Marjolaine the woman, from Leliana's past. Guards attacked us without warning.

She leaves. Later at camp Leliana, has a crisis of conscience.

I reassure her that she's a good person. Not too difficult.

Morrigan seems to have found something interesting in the book I gave her.

Right... adding killing Flemeth to my list of things to do.

Travelling to the forest, we encounter a group of refugees.

Or not. Assassination attempts as well? Agh.
    We wake the assassin for questioning.

He proves cooperative, and seems to want to join us. I'll accept that he has no further intent to kill me. Welcome, Lance-Constable Zevran.

Later on in our trip, we come across a merchant.

He tells of a golem in a village to the south. I can imagine having a warrior of living stone would be useful, so we're making a detour to pick it up.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Morrigan's sexy dialogue always gives me a laugh. For an evil seductress, she really needs to work on her seduction techniques.

Granted, it's not as bad as "Heavy risk, but the PRIIIIZE ..."
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Honneleath is KEY. Harvest Festival Ring and Helm are so important to early game stat boosting.
    Update 11: Getting on Track

Spoiler
    Show

Arrived at Honneleath the, village where the golem should be.

Lots of darkspawn here. After dispatching around 20 of them I, find the golem in the middle of the town.

Of course the rod, doesn't work. Well where, are the villagers? Probably hiding from more darkspawn. Looks like its up to me to save the day.

After a bit of travel... Aha.

Apparently the golem is named "Shale" and it killed its last master. Interesting but, what's the activation phrase?

Oh, no more fetch quests. Argh. Fine.
    I find the man's daughter. She appears to be playing with a kitten.

That... is not a kitten. Apparently its a trapped demon. I inform the demon that it will leave the girl alone and allow her to come with me. Predictable response? Check.

That... was an odd choice of phrase. I dispatch the desire demon as easily as you've probably come to expect. Willhelm is overjoyed to be reunited with his daughter, and I get the slightly different activation phrase.

Welcome Constable, Shale. Your job is to carry heavy objects and crush, the heads of darkspawn.

And that's the end of my gameplay buffer. Argh.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-04-30 at 01:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 12: Elves, Elves, Elves
    Spoiler
    Show

The trip back from Honneleath allowed a few quick conversations. I found Shale appears to be vaguely dwarfish but, has some strange obsessions and little, memory of its past. Mostly it hates, pidgeons loves crushing, heads and seems, to like the shiny crystals in its skin.

Looking for Sten's sword, I found this scavenger near the place where Sten fell. He points me to the Frostback Mountains near, Orzammar. I suppose that will be my destination after I recruit the elves.

Aha. Found the Dalish. They seem unfriendly.

It seems they've been attacked by werewolves.
    More fetching of objects. This time its the heart of a savage wolf. I'm sure there's another, option but this "Keeper" Zathrian seems to be very aggressive about this point.

This poor elf has lost his wife. Don't worry Sir. I'll find her in the woods and bring her back if possible.

Apparently, a great healer Anerim was seen in these woods. Wynne seems to recognize him as possibly being one of her old students.

Walking through the woods we find some werewolves. They seem intelligent albeit, relatively uncontrolled. I wish Angua were here. She knows how to deal with werewolves better.
    I attempt negotiations.

They go into aggressive negotiations.

I find a pretty flower. Leliana likes it claiming, it reminds her of her mother.

Feral wolves.

An injured Dalish hunter. We return him to camp.

Now, what's this campsite?

So... comfortable....

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

AGH lost my post TWICE

Right, I hate internet explorer. Officially.

Update 13: Awakening and Elves
    Spoiler
    Show

Ahhh... good night's rest.
    Right guys?
    Guys?
    Why are there all these skeletOH GOD SHADES AGAIN

Right, bad place to rest.

This tree has lost his acorn. Yessir, we'll retrieve it. I tree to treet the differently alive equally.

Found Danyala the lost, wife of a hunter in camp.

Ma'am, hold on a moment, we can heal you...

Dammit. Have to deliver the news.

That hunter we returned to camp is doing well.

Cutting through bears, ogres, another Revenant, and a few blood mages. This forest is full of foes.

Found Wynne's old, apprentice Anerim.

Yaay, happy reunion. He gives us a token which seems to strengthen Wynne`s connection to her Spirit of Faith (Wynne now gets up from being downed in combat spontaneously, and her Vessel of the Spirit power doubles in effectiveness)

This mad hermit stole the Oak`s acorn. Since he`s mad, but we don`t have facilities to treat him, I leave him (he seems harmless) after acquiring the acorn.

Your acorn, sir.

He gives us a branch, allowing passage through the fogs of the forest.

Alright. We encounter the wolves again, who remain hostile. Argh.

And we enter the great ruined temple.

WHY IS IT ALWAYS SPIDERS

Slay a dragon loot, the hoard...

Encounter ghostly child and, mother who summon hordes of undead and shades...

Slay another Revenant...

Finally, the wolves are willing to negotiate.

Shale disapproves.

The "Lady of the forest" presents a much different tale. This bears investigation.

We find Zathrian conveniently hanging around the ruins.

We confront him. He seems unreasonable.

Eventually we coerce, him into negotiations.

He's not diplomatic, either...

A short fight later...

Zathrian breaks the curse dying, in the process and, the wolves are returned to their normal forms. Sucess.

I return to camp. The new keeper seems more able to help so looks, like the elves are now ready to march on the darkspawn. Excellent.

Next up: Another trip to Denerim, then to Orzammar. Again.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 13)

Update 14: Sten, Flemeth, and Orzammar

Spoiler
    Show

Camp yields some awkward moments.

Morrigan appears to think I'm dumping her for Leliana. Comments about "Marital Bliss" abound. Rather far from the truth.

Leliana takes this surprisingly well.

Morrigan is unhappy so, I had better finish her request. I travel to Flemeth's hut.

Flemeth turns into a dragon.

Luckily, Sten shows us the art of dragonslaying.

I recover the grimoire and return it. Yaaay

The Frostback Mountains are guarding the door to Orzammar. Mercenaries are were waiting for us.

Another deserter from the Blackstone Irregulars. He doesn't cooperate.

Sten wants his sword.

The guards don't want to let me past. Luckily as a, warden I have, the right to speak with their king according, to these treaties.

We return to Orzammar, Dwarvish (?!) capital.

Immediately, I get snark from the guards.
    Sir, I will do my best to aid you and the people of Orzammar.

Surpringly the, people don't give me many insults for being a so-called kinslayer. Respect for the Wardens is great in Orzammar.

Specifically, I offer to find this woman's child

Help this merchant take this box to the Circle of Magi

Find this homeless woman, and confront her father over her status

Encounter a madman babbling over some "Unbound" myth.

Buy Morrigan a pretty mirror. It makes up for any bad feelings between us.

Offer to help this dwarvish girl study at the Circle of Magi. Dwarves can't use, magic but study? Sure.

Find some thieves in the Royal Palace. They attack me.

Wipe out a Revenant, and a Dragon in the Palace. Orzammar's palace seems hazardous.

Find the dwarvish assembly. It appears to be in chaos, since King Endrin died.

I suppose I should help Lord Harrowmont. He isn't a criminal like, Bhelen and he aided me before.
    Entering the Provings again? No problem.

I find a witness to a theft, and offer to track down the criminal.

This woman is looking for some records in the Deep Roads. If I go that way I'll retrieve, them.

I witness an extortion in progress, and drive off the criminals. It appears that the Carta, a group of criminals will, be something I should break up. And they don't have a legal quota.

This dwarf isn't competing, because he is being blackmailed. I deal with the problem.

This dwarf has been convinced Lord Harrowmont is conceding the throne. I convince him he has been fooled and, he is righteously upset.

Found the thief. He sold the book to someone in the Proving Grounds, who I track down.

BUSTED. I retrieve the book for the Shaperate.

I enter the Provings in Harrowmont's name.

After a few fights my, opponents begin to get the picture.

Victory. My loyalty proven, I go see Harrowmont.

He, of course wants me to wipe out the Carta. It will be my pleasure, to help you stop those criminals, m'lord.

Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-08 at 06:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 14)

What was that awkward conversation with Morrigan about?

What about the dwarves walking about the commons or in the Proving? Do they give you any guff?

And did you take that dwarf's offer to buy that book from the Shaperate?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 14)

Excellent points. I'll be revising a bit. Currently being annoyed at losing post a couple of times. Need to start writing in text files, and using proper sentences.