New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 14)

Another question: how did you get both Morrigan and Leliana interested in you?
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-08 at 06:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 14)

Accident, I swear. Just gave Leliana appropriate gifts (chantry related things, shoes), treated her respectfully. Morrigan, gave her gifts as well (jewellery, which is omnipresent), and she seems to assume I'm hers. Both of them are now at +100 approval, of course.
    Interestingly, Leliana won't do her "confession" thing till after you ditch Morrigan, if you're romancing her. Additionally (from last playthrough) if you take up Morrigan on her "cold bedroll" offer, Leliana will confront you next time you talk with her, and ask if she means anything to you. You then have to either dump Morrigan, or dump Leliana.

Best part about giving both of them gifts is the following conversations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Morrigan: I am not fond of sharing. You should know this.
    Leliana: I haven't asked to borrow anything of yours.
    Morrigan: Nor would I lend it if asked. You would be best to desist and find your own.
    Leliana: Find my own what?
    Morrigan: (sigh) This facade of yours is unconvincing. If 'tis a competition you wish, a competition you shall have.
    Leliana: You wild folk are very odd. And possessive.

Morrigan: I see you yet continue to be where you are not welcomed.
    Leliana: Are you jealous? Is that what this is about? Because I don't think it's for you to decide what I should or should not do.
    Morrigan: Oh, you may continue on as you have. I am merely informing you that you will suffer the consequences.
    Leliana: You forget, Morrigan. I am not without my own pointy ends, as well. Do not make promises you cannot keep.
    Morrigan: I always keep my promises.
    Leliana: Talk is cheap.
    Morrigan: And this from a bard?

Morrigan: You can't possibly think, he would prefer you?
    Leliana: Funnily, I was about, to say the same thing, to you.
    Morrigan: Oh, and what exactly is it, you believe, you have to offer?
    Leliana: I don't know, but if we are together, it will be because, he wants me and he loves me, these things are real.
    Morrigan: And yet love, grows rotten on the vine, so quickly. A sour fruit, that offers only a memory of sweetness, what is it worth, truly?
    Leliana: Everything, only a dried up shell of a person would not know that.
    Morrigan: We shall see.

(and if you bed one of them, you may get these)
    Morrigan: The way you look at him so intently, so hungrily... one would think you have never seen a man before.
    Leliana: Where I look is not your concern.
    Morrigan: True enough. There is no way I can deny you this... but why would he choose you, when he could have me?
    Leliana: You're confident, for a woman raised in a swamp, far from anything remotely resembling civilization.
    Morrigan: And maybe that is my appeal? A woman like you, why, he could find in any city in Thedas. You think you are cultured? Worldly?
    Morrigan: Powdered, perfumed, you ooze elegance, but what man wants a woman who lies limp beneath him, frozen in place by the thought that she might ruin her hair?
    Leliana: So you're saying you're wild and uninhibited? I suppose he must like your shrieking, you sound like a genlock being murdered--a sweet, sweet sound to a Grey Warden.
    Leliana: You should try a little harder next time he takes you. I don't think they heard you in the Anderfels.
    Morrigan: Tsk, tsk, Leliana. Watch your jealousy, or you'll give yourself wrinkles.
    Leliana: Get away from me, or I shall have to take drastic measures.
    Morrigan: Resorting to violence. And here I thought you were civilized.

Morrigan: So he has chosen you. You think this is a triumph? Look at him... look at him and know that you will never truly have him.
    Leliana: Jealousy, Morrigan. Tsk, tsk... it is not becoming--
    Morrigan: You mock me, but when he is in your arms, in your bed, telling you he loves you, know that there will be moments when he is thinking of me.
    Leliana: Andraste forgive me, but you, Morrigan, are a bitch. A cruel, cruel bitch, and you will get your comeuppance.
    Morrigan: Perhaps. But even so, you know in you heart that I am right.

And, the more friendly dialogue!

Leliana: You are very beautiful Morrigan.
    Morrigan: Tell me something I do not know.
    Leliana: But you always dress in such rags. It suits you I suppose. A little tear here, a little rip there to show some skin. I understand.
    Morrigan: You understand I lived in a forest, I hope?
    Leliana: Maybe we could get you in a nice dress one day. Silk. No, maybe velvet. Velvet is heavier, better to guard against the cold in Ferelden. Dark red velvet, yes. With gold embroidery. It should be cut low in the front of course, we don't want to hide your features.
    Morrigan: Stop looking at my breasts like that. Tis most disturbing!
    Leliana: You don't think so? And if it's cut low in the front we must put your hair up to show off that lovely neck.
    Morrigan: You are insane. I would sooner let Alistair dress me.
    Leliana: It'll be fun, I promise! We'll get some shoes too! Ah, shoes! We could go shopping together!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow. I had no idea their conversations together grew so ... acidic. O_O

The only interest Morrigan expressed in me was when she told me she considered me a friend.

Morrigan: Tell me could there ever be anything more between us? Have you ... ever considered it?
    Me: Maybe. Under the right circumstances.
    Morrigan: And yet there is another. I understand completely.

Zevran, on the other hand, was hitting on me after just a little approval. I had to practically beat him off.

WITH A STICK! WITH A STICK!
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-08 at 06:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Morrigan's soo easy to get in bed, actually. If you try, you can get the bedroll dialogue right out of Lothering. Just buy as many shinies as you can, give them to her. You should have quite a few in Lothering, and Bodahn's stock.
    If her approval goes over 50, she'll do the bedroll dialogue. Otherwise, flirty dialogue will start romance, which gives you great options like "Paying a compliment" with "I am brilliant and amazing"

Anyways, that's where I am ingame at the moment. I plan on wiping out the carta, taking a shopping trip to Denerim and the Circle to sell gear and finish a few quests, then going after Branka. I'll try posting my gear and stats sometime.
    I'm not entirely sure how to properly increase audience participation, because most of the options seem clear to me, given that I'm playing a distinct, lawful awesome character.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-08 at 07:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of your choices have been my choices, so ...

*Shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Anyways, that's where I am ingame at the moment. I plan on wiping out the carta, taking a shopping trip to Denerim and the Circle to sell gear and finish a few quests, then going after Branka. I'll try posting my gear and stats sometime.
    All the way to Denerim? But ... Bhelen is forcing a vote within a couple of days!
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-08 at 07:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Obviously, I teleport. Or, make use of Take Your Time

Alternatively, I wait until later, and put my loot in my Bag of Holding, since selling it in Orzammar is inefficient.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Morrigan's soo easy to get in bed, actually.
    I am shocked SHOCKED! to hear that Morrigan is quick to hop into bed with you. She dresses so conservatively, I would have thought her a nun.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-09 at 12:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sorry I haven't been posting for the last week. School's been busy, and I just haven't found the time to play and post. I expect the next week will remain sporadic, but after that posting should be easier.

Update 15: Jarvia and the Deep Roads
    Spoiler
    Show

Found a source for information on the carta hideout.

Apparently Nadezda here used to run with the carta. She knows how, to get into their base. But I need a key.

Conveniently the carta, sends out a hit squad.

They don't do so well. I send them into custody after I get the key.

Finally someone sees reason and, doesn't fight to the death. Sheesh.
    Anyways we enter the carta hideout.

Of couse, we don't know the password. Looks like getting in will be violent.

Leliana proves useful at removing traps.

We find an imprisoned dwarf. He seems sane so, we release him since the carta's ideas of justice seem counter to mine.

Assassins. Again don't, work so well.

AAAAGH

EAT, STEEL VERMIN!!

Finally we, reach Jarvia.

She doesn't accept the offer to surrender.

Harrowmont seems pleased.

However, Bhelen is focing a vote in the next few days so, we have to get support quickly, from a Paragon. Paragons are the exemplars of dwarven society those, who contribute meaningfully. Branka is the only recent Paragon and, she disappeared into the Deep Roads years ago.

To the Deep Roads then. A dwarf smelling strongly, of booze assails, us with his odor.

Apparently this is Oghren and, he wants to help. He's Branka's husband. Welcome, Acting Constable. Follow my orders and the law and we'll, be fine.

Into the Deep Roads then. First stop Caridin's, Cross.

Of course Bhelen, hired mercenaries.

Leliana and Wynne have an interesting conversation.

Leliana: It must be a wonderful thing, to be able to weave spells.
    Wynne: Wonderful? To you, perhaps. Most do not feel the same way
    Leliana: Oh, what do they know? They are just jealous. The Maker gives you magic; you must use it.
    Leliana: You do it so effortlessly. It's like breathing for you. I wish I had such talent.
    Wynne: Oh, but you do. You have your music, your dancing. You are more graceful than anyone I've ever met.
    Wynne: I think that perhaps the Maker gives us all magic... but of different sorts.
    Leliana: Even Oghren?
    Wynne: Oghren is a dwarf. He doesn't really come from the Maker.
    Leliana: Oh, yes. That explains it.

Darkspawn everywhere of course.

And the occasional vermin. Deepstalkers are nasty.

More Revenants. Of course.

With a bit of searching we locate, a treasure cache. Shinies!!

We get to the abandoned Ortan Thaig. We have records to retrieve, and a Paragon to find.

AND IT IS OVERRUN WITH SPIDERS.

DIE!!

This spider seems to be standing here peacefully. I try to kill it just, to make sure. It seems to be immune to conventional weapons.

We have what looks like an insane scavenger.

Apparently he drank darkspawn blood. Unwise for those who aren't Wardens.

OF COURSE HE CALLS SPIDERS ON US

We follow him to what looks like Branka's old campsite.

No we aren't, stealing your shinies. It turns out this is, Ruck the lost son we were looking for. He stashed the Ortan clan records in a nearby chest, which we take.

Poor soul. We leave him to continue searching.

I'm trying to work on sympathy for the differently alive, but it is hard when they shoot me with crossbows.

Hm. We've been finding body parts in bags. This alter looks related to that...

Hey presto a, demon!!

PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND SURRENDER... this is not working here.

After the ghosts... MORE SPIDERS ARGH

SO ANNOYING

We finally charge the nastiest spider, yet the Corrupted Spider Queen. Spammable, stacking poison spit dealing 100 damage each use, webs the entire party at once while calling down more spiders, and jumps on your face a lot.

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT. No more spiders!!

Also, Branka's Journal. Looks like she moved on to the Dead Trenches.

Some travel later... there are darkspawn in these "dead" trenches.

OSH-

Close call.

Looks like a division of the Legion of the Dead is here.

Well, if you won't go I, will.

What do you think of that?

Yeah. We keep going past the doors, encountering quite a few darkspawn and some relatively wimpy spiders on the way.

There're some odd growths here...

And a chant.

The chant is from Hespith, a dwarf tainted by the darkspawn.

Apparently this is the result of darkspawn... and Branka allowing something. What, though?

Ogre slaying is fun!!

Oghren acquires a set of Legion of the Dead massive plate. It looks nice on him.

Hespith keeps telling us something.

Darkspawn corrupt the women... and what happens?

OH GOD MY EYES I CAN'T UNSEE IT

I have to cut its throat twice but, it eventually dies.

Now that I know more about darkspawn reproduction than I EVER NEEDED OHGOD

Branka's fault. She'll answer for her crimes when, we get to the Anvil's location.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-16 at 09:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 15)

You ... told Ruck that you wouldn't lie for him?

I know Carrot is extremely lawful, but telling her the truth can only cause her more pain.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-16 at 11:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 15)

On a related note, how do you know Ruck calls spiders on you? I know that they appear when he runs away, but correlation does not necessarily mean causation. In fact, he suggests that you could tell his mother he died in a spider's web.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2010-05-16 at 11:44 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FoE View Post
    You ... told Ruck that you wouldn't lie for him?

I know Carrot is extremely lawful, but telling her the truth can only cause her more pain.
    Yeah, that was hard. My initial playthrough I didn't do that, but I'm not lying to Filda, nor am I killing Ruck. Actually, I was careful never to lie for the entire playthrough, even things like "what did the Paragon say?"

And those spiders are probably correlation = causation fallacy, but it seems convenient they show up just as he runs away. Additionally, I have a semi-irrational hatred of spiders (obviously), which is responsible for some leaps of logic. Stupid whites with huge DOT poison, 8 second stacking stuns which aren't easy to resist, and overwhelm. Worse than wolves, and almost as bad as the scattershot spam in Howe's estate (Hurr hurr, auto hit aoe damage and stun. At least the stuns stack poorly.).

I feel like I'm losing Carrot's narrative voice and devolving into a generic one. I'm going to have to explore how the entire "no one surrenders, kill people and loot their stuff" affects him, I guess, because it doesn't really have a parallel in normal police work. Also, the ending is bugging me, but I suppose I'll justify my choice. It makes sense to me, but contradicts another aspect of his personality...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 16: The Anvil of the Void

Spoiler
    Show

Well we've, found Branka.

She isn't very sociable or, understanding. Indeed she, seems obsessed.
    She's looking for the Anvil of the Void, an ancient artifact allowing one to forge golems.

Anyways traps, are blocking her from the anvil, so we've been trapped to get to it. Darkspawn...

Golems....
    '

And a very strange rotating series of faces.

We soon make it through to a LOT of golems.

This is Caridin. Longer ago than he cares to think, he was a Paragon for the dwarves of Orzammar.

He also forged Shale. (who is a woman?! Who knew?)

It appears that the Anvil is more than it seems. It eats souls to forge golems. Who are summarily enslaved with a control, rod like Shale was. This is a bad artifact.

Branka disagrees of, course. But she's obsessed her, judgement can't be trusted.

We're siding with Caridin.

Shale approves.

Oghren does not. I'm sorry but, artifacts that enslave souls shouldn't be given to the obsessed.

Branka whips out a control rod. Argh.

Fight lasts a while but, ultimately the same result as always. No surrender. Justice hasn't really been served for the murder of her entire, house but such is life here.

I couldn't agree more, Caridin.

Caridin is thankful, and offers a boon. I give it to Oghren.

His demand is a bit odd, and ultimately he instead opts for creating a crown for Orzammar.

I shatter the anvil.

Caridin is released from his task of destroying the anvil (it couldn't be touched by golems), and goes gladly to death.

We find a list of dwarves who volunteered to be made into golems. Shale finds this quite interesting, it seems to prompt her?? memory.

With the crown, we return to the Assembly.

Looks like the vote is being forced.

Oghren speaks up explaining, my quest.

Bhelen is typically derisive but, his role here is about to end.

What did Caridin say? He said I would decide. And I'm not choosing a murderer.

Bhelen. You are under arrest for murder of your brother Trian, blackmail, and various other indictable offenses!

Of course his, guards attack the new King Harrowmont. Well that, adds to his crimes. He's killed during the ensuing fight.

I am getting my dwarven army, though.

And the Legion of the Dead will help. Huzzah!

We return to the city with the recovered book, records of Ortan Thaig, the records of golem volunteers, and news of Ruck.

I'm sorry ma'am. I couldn't convince your son to return with me. May you find peace.

And with that, we leave. Oghren is finally exposed to the sky. With all our treaties fulfilled, we travel about randomly for some time then, head to Redcliffe to speak with Arl Eamon!!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

You know, I'm starting to think Branka was a little mentally unbalanced.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 17)

Maybe. Anyways, this is essentially filler, finishing a bunch of sidequests, getting better equipment, and a few other things.
    Update 17: Loose Ends

Spoiler
    Show

A trip back to Denerim to sell some darkspawn gear ended up with us finding going to a "Brother Genitivi"'s house to see if he knew anything about the Urn of Sacred Ashes. Instead, we found Weylon, his assistant.

Lake Calenhad? Down near the Circle, I was going there anyways. Perfect.

On the road, we chat with Shale in camp. She seems to recall her ancestral home, Cadash Thaig, so we'll travel there.

Morrigan realizes the true value of friendship. See, developing friends pays off!!

Oghren asks us to look up a girlfriend of his at the Spoiled Princess, the inn at Lake Calenhad.

Wynne thanks me for finding Anerim back in the Brecilian forest.

And Leliana seems to have reaquired her belief in her essential goodness.

The innkeeper at the Spoiled Princess seems on edge. I suspect he's not telling me the truth...

Ah, threatened? We'll get the the bottom of this...

Suicidal cultists. Couldn't ask them any questions, but I suspect Weylon just tried to kill me.

We return to the inn with Oghren, and he spots his ex.

He moves in...

Get rejected. We start to leave...

What... what just happened?

I feel dirty.

In the tower, we deliver the lyrium.

Only to learn that we just unknowingly smuggled it out of Orzammar, and Godwin is selling it to the Templars. Argh. We report this to Gregoir.

We inform Irving of Dagna's wish to become a mage. He allows it, though she cannot cast spells, as a dwarf.

Dagna is overjoyed to hear the good news.

And we go to Cadash Thaig. Brightly lit place, considering it's underground...

Kill some darkspawn, an ogre, and we reach a huge statue.

Shale has an awesome moment of self-discovery.

We head back to Denerim and confront Weylon. He immediately attacks us.

Turns out it wasn't Weylon. This imposter killed Weylon, stashed his body, and Genitivi's research, in the back room. We recover it. It seems to point to a village called Haven. Hmmm...

If you're wondering what the Urn might be useful for, there are rumors that Arl Eamon at Redcliffe might be ill. Then again, those might just be rumors, so we should see him first.

We wipe out a warehouse of Blood Mages who've been terrorizing a district of Denerim...

And set off for Redcliffe.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-19 at 04:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 18: Redcliffe Village
    Spoiler
    Show

Well here, we are. Redcliffe. We just have to talk to Arl Eamon and, we can unite the humans to help against the Blight.

First though Alistair, has something to tell us.

Seriously? Alistair is apparently the son of Maric the old, human king. Which makes him next in line for the throne.
    Why didn't you tell us this sooner?!!

I suppose I can understand. It's not like I would want that sort of responsibility either. I'm just a policeman. On the other hand we, certainly need some sort of leader now, and Alistair isn't a bad choice...
    Anyways. Along with this revelation, Alistair wants to see his half-sister in Denerim. Couldn't have brought that up sooner like, when we were there?

It seems Redcliffe is in trouble. Additionally Eamon, appears to be, disabled since the monsters are coming from his castle. Time to save the day again.

This is Bann Teagan, brother of Arl Eamon. He seems relieved to see us, but concerned.

While we're here we deliver the strongbox, we've been carrying around for the last few weeks to the widow Jetta.

We find this girl Kaitlyn concerned about her younger brother. Don't, worry ma'am, we'll find him.

We talk with Murdock, the mayor of Redcliffe and, offer some encourangement. Be not afraid, good sir.

He asks us to get, Owen the blacksmith to help repair equipment, and to get, Dwyn a dwarf, merchant to help with the fighting. Dwyn... waitaminute, he has Sten's sword. Remember to get Sten here.

We go to Owen's smithy, which is locked tight. I persuade him to let us in.

Eugh. The man's been drinking.

Anyways. He asks us to help find his daughter Valena, in the castle. Certainly, sir. I will do my best.

Yessir, I promise I will find her. Thank you for your help.

Leliana is a bit shocked by Alistair's revelation, and they have a conversation.

Leliana: There are many great tales of lost kings who return to their lands to reign in glory...
    Alistair: I am not lost. Nor, for that matter, a king. And there is nothing glorious about me.
    Leliana: You are Maric's son; you are the rightful king of Ferelden.
    Alistair: I am the son of a star-struck maid and an indiscreet man who just happened to be king. Look, I can't be king. Some days I have trouble figuring out which boot goes on which foot.
    Leliana: Complete fools are made leaders of kingdoms all the time, and you're not a complete fool.
    Alistair: What an utter relief.
    Leliana: And don't worry about the boots. Kings don't need to dress themselves. that's what advisors are for, isn't it?
    Alistair: And star-struck maids, apparently.

I then pick up Sten, to visit Dwyn. I attempt to ask Dwyn to let us in, but with no response, Sten kicks down the door. We're technically not breaking and entering, since Dwyn is interfering with an officer of the law.

Dwyn is very cooperative. Might be Sten.

I also offer to put in a good word for him with Eamon, if he helps in the fighting.

Excellent. Sten is quite pleased.

Of course, as we leave the house, Leliana starts teasing Sten.

Leliana: I saw what you were doing back there.
    Sten: Oh?
    Leliana: Don't play innocent with me.
    Sten: What are you talking about?
    Leliana: Outside, you were picking flowers!
    Sten: ...No, I wasn't.
    Leliana: You were!
    Sten: ...They were medicinal.
    Leliana: You're a big softie!
    Sten: We will never speak of this again.
    Leliana: Softie!
    Sten: Stop that.
    Leliana: (Giggles) Stop what?
    Sten: That. Looking at me and giggling.
    Leliana: I can't help it! You are so big and stoic! Who would have thought you'd be a big softie?
    Sten: Stop saying that. I am a soldier of the Beresaad. I am not a "softie."
    Leliana: (Giggles) Softie.
    Sten: ...I hate humans.

After this revelation of Sten as a giant softie he, returns to camp in shame. We then go and find Bevin, Kaitlyn's brother. He's not lost, but hiding in his house. Wynne gets him out effectively.

We reassure him, and send him back to the Chantry.

We chat with Murdock, and do our best to reassure him things will go well.

We find this suspicious elf in the local bar.

Leliana proves useful again, with her nose for subterfuge.

Turns out this elf was hired by Teryn Howe, a close advisor of Loghain. We get his orders, and send him to help the militia.

We quickly check on Kaitlyn, to make sure Bevin made it back.

And prepare for nightfall.

We fight the incoming horde. Not particularly impressive skeletons, they fall to the fire trap we set up. I spent a bit too much time in that trap, but that's ok.

(sorry, forgot to screencap during this fight )

The militia holds up quite well, and suffers minimal casualties. The next day dawns with, no deaths on our side.

Now, to get into the castle and find Eamon. Teagan has a suggestion...

Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-20 at 03:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

1) Ensuring there's no casualties during the night is hard effing work, but so worth it.

2) Stop complaining about Alistair! It's not his fault! You should have gone to Redcliffe first!

3) Also, Felsi is easily the hottest dwarven girl I've ever seen. Grr-rowr. Why Oghren was so obsessed with finding Branka when he had a hot piece of tail like Felsi on the side, I'll never know.

4) Can you actually report the lyrium smuggling ring to Greagoir? When I tried to talk to him, there was no dialogue option available to do so. So instead I blackmailed the mage and killed his partner in Orzammar.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-20 at 04:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No, you can't actually report the lyrium smuggling, annoyingly. Should've been implemented, but I'm left saying "I'm going to report you" without the option to do so.

Update 19: Redcliffe Castle
    Spoiler
    Show

As we're planning, a woman from the castle runs down, looking distressed.

I believe it would be hazardous for you to venture into the castle, Teagan.

If you think it will help. I'll get all of you out of this alive.

Entering via the cellar, we first enter the dungeons, to find an imprisoned mage.

It seems this Jowan, a blood mage, poisoned Arl Eamon. He seems repentant, but I think it best he remain imprisoned for his crimes.

Entering the main castle, it seems overrun with undead.

We sucessfully find Valena, and get her out of the castle.

Another revenant. This one was easier to kill than the others.

Entering the main hall of Redcliffe Castle, we are greeted with an odd sight.

Ummm... Teagan? What are you doing?

Oh, that's not good. SCARY VOICE.

Fear not, Lady Isolde. I don't plan on killing anyone, if possible.

Ok, Teagan has gone crazy.

And we get attacked by mind-controlled guards. We subdue them as best we can.

Teagan seems to have recovered from his insanity by being hit a few times.

I'm guessing Connor has been posessed by one of the stronger demonic varieties. Looks like we'll have to remove it, somehow.

The imprisoned mage Jowan seems to have an idea.

His plan, however, is untenable. I'm not killing the mother to save the child.

Better solution is to just ask the Circle of Magi. The trip will take a few days, but leaving most of the party in the castle should be enough to subdue Connor if he becomes a threat.

Clearing the undead out of the castle, I find an amulet, which has great sentimental value for Alistair.

A few days of forced march later...

And back...

Looks like we're ok. Morrigan enters the Fade, since she's the best-equipped mage, offensively.

In the Fade, Morrigan encounters a spirit of Arl Eamon. It seems paralyzed, unable to act.

Morrigan also seems to find Connor. She's not particularly diplomatic.

NOT CONNOR

Morrigan beats down the resulting demon in roughly 2 seconds, with a Cone of Cold.

Finds another Connor...

Same result. No particular difficulty in this fight, either.

Finally, Morrigan reaches the "abode" of the Desire Demon. (Images censored to some extent to follow Photobucket rules)

Again, easy enough. Surprisingly weak, for a demon.

Afterwards, out of the fade, we burn the corpses of the undead.

Teagan and Isolde are greatful, but Eamon is still incapacitated.

Jowan's fate isn't really ours to decide. He seems repentant, but I feel he should remain in the dungeon, to be judged by the Circle of Magi.

Looks like it's time to go after the Urn of Sacred Ashes.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 20: Haven and the Urn of Sacred Ashes
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, first we have to get some sleep in camp!

NOT GOOD SLEEP!!
    Alistair wakes me up.

And we get attacked by some rather pathetic Shrieks. No one really has any difficulty with this fight.

Indeed, I think the Archdemon knows we're coming. And it is scared.

Yes, Alistair. I'm glad we can enforce, law and order as well.

Anyways, we quickly head to Denerim to meet Alistair's sister and sell some gear. The usual.

Of course Alistair's sister chews, him out. Ouch some family, spirit.

I ask her to show some consideration and they both sort of make, up.

Alistair is rather, shocked outside. I explain to him that most people are out for themselves, despressing as it may be. He takes some time to consider this.

Back in camp Sten and I, have a happy bonding moment.

Oghren gets really drunk.

We also share a happy bonding moment.

Moving on we travel, to Haven. The guard seems quite hostile and Wynne's Rock Armor, makes her look like she has some terrible disease.

The shopkeeper is hiding something. No obstructing investigations!!

Oh, look they've been killing, the Redcliffe knights.

And they all go hostile on me. I fight my way up to their Chantry where, the Revered Father (unusual. Normally the heads of the Chantry are Revered Mothers) is preaching.

He's a fanatic. And protecting something.

And attacks me. We find a medallion on his body.

We rescue Genitivi. He's hurt but he knows, how to get to the ashes.

Using the medallion on the Father's body he opens, the door to the temple. Clever.

The temple is, beautiful in an old, broken way. Genitivi stays behind to look at carvings, as we travel inward.

Oghren beats down more cultists. There are a lot of them.

Wraiths, interesting.

Wait, dragons?

That is a lot of dragon eggs. Looks like a cult devoted to a dragon.

We find the cult leader. He refuses to surrender.

We recover a horn on his body. It may come in handy.

We walk out of the temple...

WHOA

High Dragons are bad news. They terrorize the countryside, and are remarkably hard to kill.
    We can do, it though. Oghren runs out into the middle of the plain, and blows the horn.

Hooks onto the dragon...

Nicely done. For some reason, the dragon is carrying a LOT of treasure.

Finally we reach the Guardian, of the Ashes. First we have to pass through "The Gauntlet" a, series of tests to determine if we are worthy.

He begins to ask questions about our pasts. I really wish that I could have subdued more of my opponents, but they refuse to surrender. Does this make me a murderer?
    Also, this "looting corpses" bit. I need equipment for my quest but it seems, almost like I'm a murderous hobo.
    Justice is being ill-served by this, but I honestly can't do much better.
    I CONFESS!! I've abused forcefield to beat some bosses. I've abused Potent Lyrium potion sales to equip my party with the best.

Wait you, only care about Trian? I couldn't really have anticipated that one.

He accuses Leliana of making up her vision. She denies it maybe, too vehemently.

Oghren cuts to the point.

We go past the Guardian to a hall of riddles. Not especially difficult.

With the various riddles solved we find ghost, Trian. He seems friendly enough.

Slay ghostly duplicates....

Pass through "teamwork" bridge puzzle...

And purify ourselves in the flame.

Finally we've reached, the Urn.

Leliana and Wynne are both impressed.

Oghren senses something strange...

Anyways. We get a pinch...

And go back to Genitivi.

Back to Redcliffe with the, Ashes then.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, Oghren's response is so depressing.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

So that's what's behind Oghren's "I'm drunk and I don't care" attitude. Of course, most players will do Urn of the Sacred Ashes before Orzammar, so seeing Oghren answer the Guardian is rare.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    So that's what's behind Oghren's "I'm drunk and I don't care" attitude. Of course, most players will do Urn of the Sacred Ashes before Orzammar, so seeing Oghren answer the Guardian is rare.
    It also presents an interesting alternative explanation as to why the Gauntlet works and how the Sacred Ashes acts as a curative. It might not be "The Maker Did It!" as much as it could be "The Lyrium Did It!"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 21: Denerim and Howe's Estate

Spoiler
    Show

In camp, Wynne and Zevran are having a fascinating conversation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Wynne: You must know that murder is wrong, I assume.
    Zevran: I'm sorry... are you speaking to me?
    Wynne: That is why you wish to leave your Crows. A crisis of conscience.
    Zevran: Yes, that is exactly it.
    Wynne: Joke if you wish, but I have the feeling that deep down you regret the life you have lived.
    Zevran: It's true. I regret it all.
    Wynne: Must you be such a child? Are you incapable of a single, serious conversation?
    Zevran: I know. I am terrible and it makes me sad. May I rest my head in your bosom? I wish to cry.
    Wynne: You can cry well away from my bosom, I'm certain
    Zevran: Did I tell you I was an orphan? I never knew my mother.
    Wynne: Egad. I give up.
    ─────────
    Wynne: Have you changed your mind yet? Are you willing to speak seriously?
    Zevran: Of your bosom? As you wish.
    Wynne: (exasperated) No, I do not wish to speak of my bosom.
    Zevran: But it is a marvelous bosom. I have seen women half your age who have not held up half so well. Perhaps it is a magical bosom?
    Wynne: Stop... talking about my bosom.
    Zevran: But I thought you wished to speak seriously?
    Wynne: I do. I thought, however foolishly, that you might be willing to speak of your past.
    Zevran: We could do that. There have been many bosoms in my past, though only few as fine as yours.
    Wynne: Enough. I am ending this conversation.

I interrupt it to check on Zevran.

Wait...

WHAT IS THIS. I walk away rapidly.
    (Zevran disapproves -19)

He resumes his conversation with Wynne.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zevran: You have not asked my about my conscience for some time, my darling Wynne.
    Wynne: That is correct. And I am not your "darling."
    Zevran: (Sigh) So once again I am rejected, just as I am by the cruel, cruel fates. They are harsh mistresses to the elves.
    Wynne: Zevran, I am old enough to be your grandmother.
    Zevran: You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Wynne: And what would you do with me if you had me, hmm? This is a game you play, nothing more.
    Zevran: Ha, you are a cynical woman, Wynne.
    Zevran: Cynical and powerful. It drives me mad with desire.
    Wynne: ...
    Wynne: I am going to walk away now.

Sten confesses his love for certain confections.

And then talks to Gaspode about his sword.

And Alistair is still considering what I told him.

Leliana is telling a story about a soldier and a noblewoman.

The next morning, we go to Redcliffe to revive Arl Eamon.

He recovers quite quickly, and is soon making decisions again.

He immediately proposes Alistair as out best option as a candidate for the throne.

Alistair is not happy, unsurprisingly. I wouldn't be either.

Eamon also passes judgement on Jowan. I note that he's been very cooperative but that, isn't quite enough for Eamon who sentences, Jowan to death. Jowan takes this well.

At least it is justice by a legal authority.

We travel to Denerim, once again, to call the Landsmeet, a meeting of ALL nobles in Fereldan.

Loghain is there to greet us.

Ouch. Eamon is unsure why Loghain is acting like this, as am I.

We travel around Denerim for a bit. Handing over some ancient scrolls from the temple...

Going by Genitivi's house...

And dropping off some dragon scales with the armorer Wade. The man has, skills I must admit.

And checking out this strange house which, various sources and scrolls have pointed at as being the source of a great evil.

SON OF A

Well, that was unusual. We go back to talk with Eamon.

It appears Anora Loghai,n's daughter and the Queen, of Fereldan has been locke,d up by Arl Howe. Her maid proposes an alliance, so we set out to rescue Anora.

On our way to Howe's estate, Zevran and Wynne keep talking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zevran: So let us pretend that I do, indeed, believe that murder is wrong.
    Wynne: (coldly) We are not having this conversation.
    Zevran: Were I to believe such a thing, what would I do with it? Feeling guilt about things one can no longer change seems to very time-consuming with little hope for actual gain.
    Wynne: But you could change what you do in the future.
    Zevran: (Sigh) What would that require, exactly? It seems to me that feeling guilty would take up a great deal of my time as it is.
    Wynne: Perhaps you could save a life, instead? One for every life you have taken.
    Zevran: That is a great many lives to save and feel guilty as well. Perhaps I could do one or the other?
    Wynne: It is not a game, Zevran. You either know right from wrong or you do not.
    Zevran: I... I am so confused. I think I may cry. May I lay my head in your bosom?
    Wynne: (Cry of frustration) No! No! You may not!
    Zevran: You are so very cruel. How is it that you do not feel guilty?
    Wynne: I feel guilty for having ever spoken to you.

And we run into a group of Crow assassins.

Zevran opts to stay though, he's as safe leaving, with the Crow assassins dead.

At Howe's esta,te we sneak around to a back door.

Anora's maid distracts the guards and we put on disguises, to slip in.

However Anora seems, to be locked away, magically. We go to the dungeons to remove the mage sealing her up.

In the dungeons a guard, notices us... but is taken down by the prisoner in the cell behind him.

That prisoner is Riordan, a fellow Grey Warden.

He leaves, however being weakened, by his time in prison.

Bah. The guards figured out that we weren't part of their group. Wholesale slaughter, commences frustratingly.

We rescue the son of an Arl who goes to tell, of Howe's crimes.

A war vetern of Ostagar seems to be too, traumatized to leave but we release him anyways.

A random elf from the city is also allowed freedom. It seems he's been there for months.

A traumatized Templar is also let go but he, instead asks us to bring a ring to his sister.

Finally someone claiming, to be the Arl of Denerim.

He seems exceedingly hostile and is mostly, responsible for the uprising of elves in the Alienage. Elven ghettoes are not cool, neither is putting them down when "they start to think they're people"

We find Howe with his mages. He tries to play the moral high card but that's undermined, by the torture and imprisonment here.

He lasts about 30 seconds.

With the door unlocked we return, upstairs. The guards have no sense of self-preservation.

Anora seems a little short for a stormtrooper guard

Finally on our way out Ser Cauthrian, tries to arrest us.

I was going to stand down but remembered, that my mission is more important. I need to account for my crimes but, Fereldan can't afford it right now. Ultimately necessity, is my defense.

That army of archers proves a pain (Scattershot spam!!). We have to use the hallway behind us for cover and then Ser Cauthrian, chases us to her death.

We deliver the Templar's ring.

And drum up support against Loghain.

Zevran is finally willing to relate the details of his mission before he went after me.

Ouch. I... don't have much I can add to that. (Zevran approves +8. Acquired skill: Massive Deterity)

Upstairs Anora, is having a discussion about the sucession.

Riordan is quite informative about the Wardens as a whole, and I give him some papers I found in Howe's estate.

Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-25 at 10:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

You'd subject Alistair to marrying Anora, would you? What's he ever done to you?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

That was twisted. I don't think Carrot would subject his friend to marrying someone he hates. That's just not Carrot.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ok, so here are my options, then. I can let Anora rule alone, which means either Alistair leaves and becomes homeless, is executed, or goes after the archdemon with me, meaning one of us dies. Frankly, I don't think leaving Anora as sole monarch is a good idea, possibly due to latent sexism.
    I can let Alistair rule alone, which means Anora backstabs me (since I cannot lie), and is probably the worse fate for him.
    Or, I can do what I did. I feel that their strengths and weaknesses as rulers synergize nicely, letting Anora handle administration, while Alistair makes a great leader.
    I suppose I could let Anora rule, but that means Alistair or I must die, both of which are problematic in their own way. I suppose I could just sacrifice myself, but that seems... odd.
    Oh, and anyone who sees what I'm doing with hardened Alistair marrying Anora that doesn't involve dying, hush. Two updates before that happens.
    Too late now though, unless I retcon like crazy. That's what I picked, and it's odd.

For the lulz, I am now replaying to see what happens if I go with another option at Landsmeet.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-23 at 09:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

Why on earth would ruling without also being forced to marry Anora be worse for Alistair than ruling and being forced to marry Anora?

Also, huh?
    Ok, so here are my options, then. I can let Anora rule alone, which means either Alistair leaves and becomes homeless, is executed, or goes after the archdemon with me, meaning one of us dies.
    One of you dies unless you do Morrigan's ritual. Alistair being king is irrelevant to that. Unless...oh wow. I get it. You're going to spare Loghain.

Well, it's certainly a much more negative interpretation of Carrot than I would have chosen to play, but it's your game, and "won't kill anyone if he has a choice" is a way to play Carrot. Going to let the Tevinter slaver live?
    Last edited by Kish; 2010-05-23 at 10:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually no. But that's because slavery is illegal in Fereldan. And because his first move is to offer to kill a bunch of elves.

Anyways, this discussion is obviously massive spoilers. Then again, so is this thread.
    Hm. I appear to have caused massive disapproval. -20.
    Originally when planning, I considered the heroic death, with Anora on the throne. However, I was concerned about reinserting into continuity, which in retrospect was silly. Furthermore, I don't like Anora solely on the throne. I just don't.
    The main thing was Loghain. Sparing Loghain is for the same reason as the achievement name. Redeemer. Giving him a chance to do the right thing, because like everyone, he should get another shot. This was one of my major goals, because it fits the "everyone is good inside" concept. However, the only ways to accomplish it involve making Alistair disappear forever, or marrying him.
    Of course, this is seriously metagame, because I'm pretty sure I have no way, IC, of knowing this. Nor should I know that Alistair eventually is ok with the result.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually no. But that's because slavery is illegal in Fereldan.
    Treason and Loghain's other crimes--including slavery, actually--are legal in Ferelden now?
    Nor should I know that Alistair eventually is ok with the result.
    Erm. I hope you don't think you know that OOC, either. Alistair will be very, very hurt and betrayed by what you're doing, and he'll probably never forgive you. I've never done it, of course, but I've looked at his lines and the stage direction for them in the toolset. Don't expect him to be anything but cold to you at the end.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I did do it. He's actually ok at endgame ("But I'm not angry, no"), though not so much prior to archdemon slaying. This may depend on if I get Loghain killed or not, didn't try it.

Now, there's some hypocrisy indeed. I only submit that I don't have dialog options in most cases for redemption, and that Loghain... I dunno. I feel like he has a lot of evil companions, who certainly don't help his portrayal. Howe is especially bad here, arranging for a "solution". Also, letting Caladrius live is just silly, really. It's about as far from reasonable policing as you can get. You can't arrest him, or do anything but let him go free, or kill him. Comparatively, Loghain you can redeem.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Not only are you subjecting Alistair to a loveless marriage, but a loveless marriage with a hateful, backstabbing cow.

But if you wish to spare Loghain, it's the only way to keep him from getting executed or turning into a penniless drunk.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-24 at 12:40 AM.