New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 15)

Alistair will indeed forgive you if you let Loghain live but send him to kill the archdemon without the ritual.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Dragon Age: Origins! (Spoilers and large images: Update 15)

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    I did do it. He's actually ok at endgame ("But I'm not angry, no"),
    Stage direction on that line in the toolset: Cold, distant. He doesn't choose to fight with the Hero of Ferelden, at least not yet; that doesn't mean he doesn't hate your guts.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

What Carrot probably would've done:

Ask if Alistair wants to be king, and if he does, allow him to "Choose what he wants to do." (Like Carrot did himself)

Kill Loghain because he broke really important laws.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2010-05-24 at 08:50 PM.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I concede, I concede!

Luckily for me, I still have a way out, based on a duel. It wraps those changes up nicely, though I still have the rather illogical ending of prior update.
    I suppose retconning is silly, so we'll leave that.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    I concede, I concede!

Luckily for me, I still have a way out, based on a duel. It wraps those changes up nicely, though I still have the rather illogical ending of prior update.
    I suppose retconning is silly, so we'll leave that.
    In this case, retcon away.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I do so wish people posting didn't have to load 400 pictures into spoilers for previous posts.
    Anyways. Update 22: The Alienage (aka Elven Ghetto)
    Spoiler
    Show

It seems there is unrest in the elven Alienage. I'm not sure what sort of lawbreaking is going on, but we'd best get over there. Particularly since Loghain may be behind it.

We run off elves harassing this man.

And offer some coins to this poor war vetern.

This Templar senses some great evil, so we begin searching.

Ma'am, are you all right? Ma'am?

Apparently the Orphanage is part of the problem. We enter with our nearly-blind templar friend.

Ok... crazy ghosts. I still don't like undead.

It seems our problems are being caused by demons.

After dealing with the demon, our problems aren't over.

Over in the next building is another demon.

Ouch.

We sucessfully drive out the demon, despite our loss, and have calmed the deranged woman.

We are accosted by beggars again.

This "orphan" seems suspicious. I get the feeling these elves are shaking me down.

In the end, I decline to offer them additional coin, as it seems they are taking advantage of me.

More important, however, is this line outside of a hospice.

It seems that these Tevinter mages have been quarantining elves with a plague. No one has ever seen them again.

I decide to enter the quarantine to investigate.
    Police here. Allow me to enter this quarantine to investigate.

They refuse me access. I request again.

I believe you are obstructing an investigation. Get out of my way, or I will be forced to arrest you.
    We eventually get in.

Uh huh. Bring 8 males? Sounds like... slavers. We release the caged elves.

Sounds like more elves are trapped in a warehouse. We start to travel that way, and encounter guards in the alley.

It seems my reputation is increasing. If only people would surrender.

Slavers!! You are under arrest for human trafficking!!

Agh. We finally find the trapped elves, along with a mage who seems to be running the operation.

Interestingly, he's also heard of me. It seems Loghain is behind this operation.

He tries to bribe me. Not the best way to deal with the law.

Sir, you are under arrest. If you come quietly, I cannot promise leniency, but you won't be harmed until legal judgement is passed.

Or, you could attack me. Unwise.

He is shortly surrendering. However, his first offer, is, to murder all the elves to augment my health.
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!

I decline. He asks if I will let him leave. No, you're under arrest. Why won't you come quietly?

Stupid lack of respect for the law. We free the remaining elves, and report back to Eamon.

And now I need to replay the rest of the game to take new screencaps. Oh well, it's only about an hour's work.

7. - Top - End - #97

That alienage part with the crazy Elf Mage was totally Carrot.

Good job.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 23: The Landsmeet
    Spoiler
    Show

Alistair seems less than enthusiastic about the prospect of Anora becoming Queen. He's also unsure if he wants to be king, but doesn't exactly fear the prospect.

With directions from Riordan, we come across a Warden cache in Denerim. It has a shield that I immediately give to Alistair. He is very thankful for something to physically remember Duncan by.

With that, we head to the Landsmeet.

(Alistair is wearing Executioner's helm, gloves of Diligence, Knight-Commander's Plate, Fade Wall, Topsider's Honor, Ring of Ages, Runic Worry Token, Magister's Shield, and Boots of the Juggernaut (I wasn't looking for good boots, and I lack DLC armor sets))

Eamon is giving a rousing speech as we enter.

Loghain immediately goes on the social offensive. He seems strangely obsessed with Orlais.

Loghain!! You are charged with Slavery poiso,ning two counts, of attempted assassination public, mischief torture, regicide jaywalking, treason harboring a ,maleficar, aiding and, abetting a demon illegal imprisonment, of a monarch, and vandalism!! Surrender and submit to this trial!!

Your daughter? I freed her from YOUR illegal imprisonment. We're discussing YOUR crimes here.

Anora wanders in to give testimony.

Jury!! What is your profession decision!?

Who is this guy, and why is he wearing a silly outfit?

Loghain!! The jury has found you guilty. Do you have anything to say?

Well, he does.

We do not judge. The law judges, and finds you guilty. If you wish, you may duel me or a champion to dispute my claim, because the laws in this country have strange loopholes.

Fine, fine. Alistair, if you'd care to take this?

Alistair is quite enthusiastic about this opportunity. I pass him some magical equipment to prepare him (Spellward, Key to the City, Lifegiver, Keening Blade)

Alistair doesn't exactly handily win, but he nonetheless succeeds.

Loghain, you are hereby found guilty of the stated charges. Your punishment, as determined by our new monarch, is execution.

Alistair, you are now the king of Fereldan.

Anora is immediately dismayed and locked away, as a threat to the kingdom's stability. We can't afford civil war right now.

Alistair gives an inspiring speech.

Afterwards, in Eamon's estate he confronts, me. He seems ok with the entire "king" concept, actually.

Anyways, now we need to march for Redcliffe. It seems the horde is attacking there.

Egh, formatting issues. Refresh if you just started reading, and are finding redundant images.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-27 at 03:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Now if you want to help out Alistair's love life, get him to sleep with Morrigan.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-27 at 05:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU
    2 updates left after this.
    Update 24: Redcliffe and the Truth
    Spoiler
    Show
    It appears Darkspawn have hit Redcliffe.

More opportunity to trim the horde.

We get to Castle Redcliffe to defend, and the main gate is held easily.

Apart from the Ogre. Owwww.

The King shows us how it is done.

We leave the relieved guards outside to defend against any leftovers.

Riordan greets us inside. Alistair is mildy discomfited.

Anyway, looks like the actual horde is hitting Denerim. How we didn't notice this, when we walked straight from Denerim to here, I don't know.

And the Archdemon has been seen. Yaaay.

Well, no time to waste then. What's this, sleep? Bah.

Team overview: Last time we see everyone. Mostly mechanics and gear.
    Spoiler
    Show

Carrot (Champion/Templar)

Wielding the Keening Blade and Veshaille, with various Grandmaster and Master Elemental runes. Evon the Great's mail, Wade's Superior Dragonscale Boots and Gloves. Spellward, Lifegiver, Key to the City, Anduril's Blessing, and of course, Helm of Honneleath.

Alistair: Approval 100 (Friendly) (Templar/Champion)

Wielding Fade Wall and Topsider's Honor, with Executioner's Helm, Knight-Commander's Plate, Gloves of Diligence, Juggernaut boots, Runic Worry Token, Ring of Ages, and Creationist's Cord.

Wynne: Approval 100 (Friendly) (Spirit Healer/Shennanigans)

Wielding Staff of the Magister Lords, Destructionist's Belt, Anerim's Token, Surveyor, Dreamsever, Magus War boots, Black Hand Gauntlets, Reaper's Vestments.

Leliana: Approval 100 (Friendly) (Bard/Ranger)

Wielding Marjolaine's Recurve, Magister's Cinch, Felon's Coat, Gloves of Guile, Bard's Dancing Shoes, Harvest Festival Ring, Dusk Ring, Seeker's Circlet.

Zevran: Approval 97 (Friendly) (Assassin/Duelist)

Wielding The Edge, Dragonbone Crow Dagger, Red Jenny Seekers, Cadash Stompers, Shadow of the Empire, Mixed Metal Rounds, Silverleaf, Athras' Pendant.

Morrigan: Approval 95 (Friendly) (Lost 5 for bringing her to Caladrius, not taking bargain. Silly loss, couldn't find an extra gift) (Shapeshifter/Spirit Healer)

Wielding Wintersbreath, Robes of Posession, Apprentice's Cowl, Wildstone Clasp, Imperial Weavers, Ashen Gloves, Frostshear, Belt of the Magister Lords

Oghren: Approval 100 (Friendly) (Berserker/Champion)

Wielding Chasind Great Maul, Helmet, Armor, Gloves, and Boots of the Legion, One for the Ditch, Blood-Gorged Amulet, Ring of the Warrior

Shale: Approval 100 (Friendly)

Currently wielding small Brilliant Fire crystal and Large Brilliant Spirit Crystal.

Gaspode!

Currently wearing Pure Bitch Braid and Kaddis of the Lady of the Skies.

Finally, Sten. Approval 98 (Friendly) (Berserker)

Wielding Asala, Duty, Effort's boots, gloves, and armor.

YEAH PARTY!! WE CAN DO THIS!

Going up to Riordan's room, he has a serious discussion for me and Alistair.

Apparently when the Archdemon is killed, its soul migrates to the nearest darkspawn, and posesses it. If the archdemon is killed by a Grey warden, its soul migrates to the Warden...

Alistair grasps the obvious.

Dammit. If Riordan can't take that blow, its mine. I have a duty to the kingdom, the world. I can't let Alistair take it.

Back in my room, Morrigan has arrived. What are you doing here?

Wait, what sort of ritual are we talking about?

*Blushes up to ears*
    ALRIGHTMOVINGON

YES. YES I WOULD.

Morrigan is extremely angry, and leaves because of this.

Well, with one party member gone, and a high probability of death tommorrow...
    I get some sleep.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-27 at 09:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

That really does strike me as what Carrot would do, sadly.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Suddenly quick update pace: I had a lot of free time today, and finished the game, so I just cut screenshots, and wrote a bit.

Update 25: Endgame

Spoiler
    Show

Well, we have our armies. We'll have to move fast.

Alistair gives a proper inspiring speech. A good reason for him to be king.

The onrushing human army routs the darkspawn outside of Denerim effectively.

We pursue the stragglers into the city gates, and mop up.

Riordan has some advice for me about chasing down the archdemon. We're going to enter the main city, and get as high as we can. That means Fort Drakon.
    There also are going to be darkspawn "generals" in the city we should take down, to minimize damage, and because they'll also go after us when the archdemon calls them.

I select my group. Alistair, Wynne, Leliana. Let's go, team.

Everyone else guards the gates. Sten leads them.

And it is time for goodbyes.
    Wynne. Thank you for saving my life repeatedly with healing.

Oghren. It's been an honor working with you.

Shale, I know you care. Be safe.

Goodbye Gaspode. I probably won't be able to get you any more chicken. Be good.

Thank you for your help, Sten.

I've enjoyed working with you, Leliana. Thank you for your friendship, support, and inspiration.

Thank you for your help, Zevran.

I am not going to let you die, Alistair. Thank you for being my friend.

LET'S DO THIS!!

We head over to the market district to clear out a general over there.

The Alienage also has a general in it. We clear out the civilians to minimize casualties.

The archdemon attacks us as we leave the Alienage. Close call.

As we head on to Fort Drakon, I recieve a report of an assault on the gates. It claimed Sten, Shale, Oghren, and Zevran appeared to be counting their kills, and waiting for the darkspawn impatiently.

That's when I saw Riordan, on top of a tall tower.

The man has guts.

Alas, they aren't enough. He ends up on a wing.

And while he cripples the Archdemon...

Dammit. Well, looks like it's up to me. Death? You there?

We walk through hordes of darkspawn. Nothing too difficult.

Whoa, well fortified position. After a few minutes of cutting up darkspawn, they eventually stop pouring out of the fort.

We enter. Time to get to the roof.

Shades and a NASTY genlock mage. He's wiped out quickly by Alistair and I alternating Holy Smites, War Cries with Superiority (huge AOE knockdown), and generally keeping him down.

That is a lot of dead darkspawn, and I didn't have to kill them...

What.

WHAAAT.

Whoa, a lot of archers. If they were actually dangerous, I might be in trouble.

We finally make it out onto the roof.

The archdemon appears to be snacking on Redcliffe soldiers. DAMMIT I WORKED HARD TO GET THOSE TROOPS.

Ouch.

Right. Let's go.

We hack away at the archdemon. Fire arrows at it from across a chasm. Throw Magic Missiles at it. We don't seem to be having any effect.

Finally, however, Alistair cripples it.

Beautiful. I pull Yusaris, the Dragon Slayer, (because it's been in my inventory for most of the game) out of my pack.

Alistair tries to stop me.

Alistair, you can be a king. You have the drive, the ability, and more than capable advisors. I... I have to go. I'm not letting you sacrifice the leadership of this land for me.

I'm sorry. I have to do this.

Death? I guess I'm ready.

Epilogue will be sometime tommorrow. Probably 24ish hours from now.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2010-05-27 at 10:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-05-27 at 11:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

This LP was... was... Simply beautiful.

Arbitrarity, you just won the internet.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2010-05-28 at 08:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update 26: Epilogue

Spoiler
    Show

Roll credits. Pull down curtain.

I'd like to thank everyone who was reading for their comments, for caring enough to point out when I was doing it wrong, and for putting up with the ridiculous delay at one point.

I'd like to thank Chiasaur11 especially, for introducing me to the concept of the Let's Play, and giving me an interesting schtick to make this LP on. Even if I occasionally failed to mess up commas.

I'd like to thank Bioware for making awesome games, the Playground for being my internet home, and Terry Pratchett, for making a memorable and hilarious series of book.

Thanks for reading, though I probably won't be doing this again any time soon.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Firbolg in the Playground

Very quick slightly off topic mechanics question:

I just bought the Ultimate Edition, which includes Origins and Awakenings and all the DLC.

If I play through Awakenings and open up all of the Specializations, can I start a new game in Origins and use the Awakenings Specialization in it? For example, if I open up Battlemage and Keeper, can I start a new game as a Mage and take the Keeper Specialization at level 7?

17. - Top - End - #107