New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Applying different templates to different monsters in the summon monster line

with summon monster 3 for example, I can summon a Fiendish huge monstrous centipede.Is it possible to instead apply the celestial template to the centipede or can I only use the monsters provided on the summon monster list? If the latter is the case, is there any way to get the evil descriptor off of summon spells?

Also, are there more monsters I can use somewhere? like a list of summonable monsters from later monster manuals?

and last question. Is there any easy way to reduce the casting time from one full round to Standard action?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-04-19 at 12:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Applying different templates to different monsters in the summon monster line

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    with summon monster 3 for example, I can summon a Fiendish huge monstrous centipede.Is it possible to instead apply the celestial template to the centipede or can I only use the monsters provided on the summon monster list? If the latter is the case, is there any way to get the evil descriptor off of summon spells?
    Celestial and fiendish templates cannot be swapped, but you do have a few options. If you have access to the Planar Handbook, you can choose to replace ALL celestial creatures or ALL fiendish creatures with either axiomatic or anarchic creatures. Alternatively, you can replace either with entropic or vivacious creatures, but this bumps all altered creatures up by a summon monster level.

Unfortunately, if you couldn't summon a creature due to your alignment, i.e. a LG cleric summoning fiendish creatures, you still can't summon it even if you replace the template. Likewise, you can't change a template to one that your alignment is opposed to, so the cleric in question could not summon anarchic creatures.

Also, are there more monsters I can use somewhere? like a list of summonable monsters from later monster manuals?
    http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...ster_List?pg=1
    This is an awesome thread, and as far as I know they haven't missed any supplements.

and last question. Is there any easy way to reduce the casting time from one full round to Standard action?
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...rapidSummoning
    Lose your familiar, gain the ability to stand-action summon. If you're not a wizard, though, you're out of luck.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2010-04-19 at 08:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Applying different templates to different monsters in the summon monster line

In theory you can summon everything. In practice it's rather difficult to know what creatures would be appropriate for what spell level.

Swapping Celestial and Fiendish templates seems to be a very save way, though. The templates are more or less identical, so a celstial creature shouldn't be any stronger or weaker than a fiendish one.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I see no reason to disallow swapping fiendish and celestial templates, unless you and/or the DM is convinced that the heavens are packed with kittens, bunnies and ponies and that hyena's and vermin only exist on the lower planes. Though I must admit that I do not recal any 'official' rule on the matter.

As for the standard action thing...there is a feat in complete divine called rapid spell. It does exactly what you want, at the cost of an increased spell level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Talk to your DM about allowing for critters that aren't on the standard lists.

Those lists are quite limited, anyway.
    Epic levels: Where things finally start to get interesting.
    I have been accused of being a walking, talking Spell Compendium.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    Yes, but in D&D, no matter how effective your shield might be, you're still better off charging into combat with a two-handed, pouncing, leaping, power attack from horseback using shock trooper to drop your AC into the basement while retaining your full chance to hit.

Or you know, just asking the wizard to deal with it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't see why not. Like Star said, the lists are limited, and that's before you account that there are even more monsters to put on them. Personally, I'd talk to your DM about doing a custom summon monster list from Unearthed Arcana.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft