New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Unsatisfied Players

How do you deal with a player who doesn't like his character, or how it is playing? They even seem to be suicidal with their character, jumping into the forefront of danger just so they could roll up a new one.

On a somewhat related note, Is ninja overpowered or underpowered?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Unsatisfied Players

Mention to them that it seems like they might not be satisfied with their character, and ask them if there's anything they would like help with.

If they say yes, proceed from there. If they say no, leave them to it.

Ninja's generally considered on the underpowered side, weaker than a straight Rogue. They can make good solo antagonists, but don't work well in a group environment.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Tell them to stop whining and create a character they do like.

Also, I have no Idea with the Ninja; I'm more of a Pirate-man myself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kill them. Not the character, the player. No more complaints.

*cough*

If a player doesn't enjoy playing his character, he should change his character. There are a host of ways to do this and which are appropriate depends on the circumstances. The character may be weak, and a DM-sanctioned rebuild that doesn't change anything in character could give it a greater ability to contribute. The character concept itself may be flawed, and have to be altered. It might be entirely a matter of the character's personality or backstory and how they interact with the campaign, rather than anything mechanical. In any of these cases you can go for an in-game change, a retcon to say "oh, he's always been a Swordsage!" or "no, he was never wanted by the government" or the like, or an outright replacement of the character with a new one. Be generous, but make sure it's not taken as an invitation to change the character around every other session for the sake of novelty alone.

Ninja (3.5 Complete Warrior?) is generally considered underpowered. They also have the problem of being a very solitary class whose strengths don't come out much when cooperating with the party.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Ninja's generally considered on the underpowered side, weaker than a straight Rogue. They can make good solo antagonists, but don't work well in a group environment.
    Well, going from monk to ninja would be considered an upgrade, yes?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Depending on the level of work put into it, and especially the stats, yeah, I'd think so.

Personally, I find ninjas very more fun than monks, too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

It might not be an option, but IMO an Unarmed Swordsage (Tome of Battle) with focus on Shadow Hand would get the desired flavor and more functionality.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

What Dragon magazine was it that had all those extra Ki feats?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

What Dragon magazine was it that had all those extra Ki feats?
    you could mix the two with asthetic stalker(i think thats the name) from C. Scoundrel.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Depending on the level of work put into it, and especially the stats, yeah, I'd think so.

Personally, I find ninjas very more fun than monks, too.
    QFT

Anyway, ask him what is wrong. In short tell him to be more open and tell you if there is some way you can help that both of you can work with. If he then tell you the problem then advice and/or suggest him the things that you think will work out.

There is this guy who wants to be Shiki Tohno in our game so we give it to him(sneak attack on "everything", does not need to be flatfooted or flanking). Of course we worked it out with convincing him he gets only small con(does not go up even with magic), abhors spell casting(but not using magic items) and cannot deviate from the rouge class. He also automatically fails all vampire domination except from a vampire named Satsuki.

Is'nt it sad Satchin?
    LET IT FLOW!!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146752 - Dal Mori(3.5 race)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you deal with a player who doesn't like his character, or how it is playing? They even seem to be suicidal with their character, jumping into the forefront of danger just so they could roll up a new one.

On a somewhat related note, Is ninja overpowered or underpowered?

In such cases I allow one complete remake of the character, but only one time so better think carefully what you want to do. Reasoning behind this is that always changing characters every session breaks immersion but one time is okay especially if the player tried something new and it just did not work the way the player imagined it to.

Depends on the overall powerlevel of the group/campaign in most cases ninja, monks and other tier >4īs are decent enough to not be a liability during combat.