New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Misfortunate soul Sorcerer

Misfortunate soul

Have you ever just had “one of those days?” where everything just seems cursed to the touch? Imagine if every day was like that! However, fate really likes to keep you alive oddly? Like, to the point where deus ex machina will gladly step in when you’re on the brink of death to save you.

Here we go again
    Starting at the 1st level, fate either really hates you, or really likes you.
    When you force a creature to make a saving throw, or make an attack roll, instead of rolling normally, you can call even/odds on the die roll. If it matches up with what you called, it counts as a natural 20, if it doesn’t it counts as a natural 1.
    You may use this feature a number of times equal to your charisma modifier plus your proficiency bonus, before needing to take a short long rest.

Somebody up there really hates me
    Starting at the 1st level, when you use a spell slot of 1st level or higher, immediately roll a d6. If the outcome is equal to lower then your current hit point total you gain temporary hit points equal to 3x the number rolled, or your charisma modifier (whichever is higher). If it is instead lower then your current hit points, the spell you cast causes something to fall from the sky equal to the number rolled;
    D6 - Object
    1 - Cow
    2 - Lightning bolt from a nearby storm. (1d6 lightning damage, 1d6 thunder damage in a 10 foot radius)
    3 - 1d4 Poisonous Snakes. (Roll; Odds = Hostile/Evens = Hostile to enemies.
    4 - 1d4 gold pieces from the nearest bank/treasury vault.
    5 - A single Brown bear; (Roll; Odds = Hostile/Evens = Hostile to enemies.
    6 - A boulder; (3d4 bludgeoning damage)

The Object falls on something determined by a roll of a d20;
    1-17; Nearest hostile creature, or creature that could be hostile.
    18-19; Highest health player character within 10 feet.
    20; You.

Any living creature that is summed by this spell vanishes after 1 minute.
    This has no effect if the target is considered heavily obscured by anything above them.

Unlucky aura
    Starting at the 6th level, if you use your “here we go again feature” and cause yourself to roll a natural 1, you may spend 3 sorcery points to steal the luck of someone within 10 feet of yourself to turn it into a success; causing their next ability check or attack roll to have disadvantage.
    The range of this ability starts out as 10 feet, but increases to 30 feet at the 18th level.

Fate’s blessing.
    Starting at the 14th level, while below half your hit point maximum; your armor class increases by 3, and you gain a +3 bonus to all strength, dexterity and constitution saving throws.

Deus Ex Machina
    Starting at the 18th level, the first time you are reduced to 0 hit points, roll a d6; on a 4-6, 1d4 Storm Giants step through a portal in the nearest unoccupied space and are immediately hostile to whatever had reduced you to 0 hit points.
    They will disappear; after 1 minute, if whatever reduced to 0 hit points is gone, if you die or regain consciousness.
    You may use this feature once, before needing to take a long rest.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Misfortunate soul Sorcerer

First off, let me start by recommending you change some wording to match those used in already existing features. Specifically the bit about rests:
    "You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest."
    as your "before needing to take an x rest" sounds like they'll be exhausted and forced to take a rest there and then.

Here we go again, a short long rest... does that mean a short or a long rest? or did you forget to remove one of the words?
    Either way, I suspect that the current amount (prof mod + cha mod) is already too many uses, even if it only recharges on a long rest. So yeah.
    (Basically what I mean here is that many save or die spells are available to a sorcerer. And being able to force them into a 50/50, even against high level, strong in that kind of save enemies... is VERY powerful. So doing that between 5 and 11 times per short and/or long rest is... jikes)

I could see this kind of thing working defensively. So when you are attacked, you can force them. As that would mean either "fail to hit me" or "hit me really hard", which is a good trade off.
    My spell succeeds or fails, combined with a normally lower then 50% chance of succeeding = pure profit for the player (crit success and fails don't mean anything by the rules)

Alternatively, but more complex, would be adding extra results to those critical succes/failures that don't go your way. So that fate punishes you instead. But yeah, that'll be hard to create in a gene

Somebody up there really hates me First off, both statements are now "lower" or "lower/equal" to your current hp. Which I doubt is intentional. But it's also the only way this remains in check. But it also means this stuff will very rarely trigger (thankfully) especially after the first few levels.

The "falls from sky table" is... odd. But I'm going to be ignoring it for now.
    Who it targets on the other hand is also odd, but mostly the "highest health player" thing is meh. Make that a random non-hostile or something. Instead of picking the person that has the highest chance of surviving. (also, the thunder strike probably still kills you due to the radius and the range)

For the cow, bear and gold pieces, you'll need to define how far they fall (both for amount of damage done to what they hit and in the creatures cases for themselves)
    For the boulder, you need a size and what effect it has after having fallen (does it disappear, does it make things difficult terrain, etc?)
    Also, for pretty much all of them, wouldn't a DC (dex?) be in order to avoid some/all of it?
    And how about the creatures, will they attack as they drop? When do they take their turns? etc)

Unlucky aura So, not only are we super charging (guaranteed success) an already really powerful ability, we add a secondary effect to it? (Which can either be a small cost, or a boosted positive).
    The only really positive I see here is that it can't be used for saving throws you force others to make, thus not making the save or die debacle even worse.

Fate’s blessing while I see what you are going for here, this is massively powerful.
    Not only do you get a massive stackable AC boost, you also get a stackable boost (roughly equivalent to permanent advantage) on all 3 physical saves (which, with dex and con includes 2 of the big saves)

Deus Ex Machina a funny feature. Not really balanced, but when are the very level ones ever? Makes the feel of this being a NPC class much stronger though.

My suggestions:
    Avoid the cartoony/Discworld side (random stuff dropping from the skies, deus ex machina-ing).
    Focus instead on the rolls of the lucky dice.
    Give... prof mod? Amount per long rest. (or 3 per short rest, to represent a hopped up lucky feat)

• Start like the lucky feat, giving you a chance to re-roll, but don't allow the player to choose, instead make them take the new one (to represent the callousness of fate)
    • Then give the ability to use this feature without spending a use by cursing an ally within x distance with bad luck (disadvantage) (max 1 or 2 use per short rest?)
    • at level 14, something like fate's blessing, but make it use up your luck for a time in response. So you can boost your ac/saves, but in return your luck is going to utter crap for a while after (no idea about the length of the plus and the negative, though the negative should be substantially longer).
    • Then finally give the ability to force fate on an enemy (giving them a 50/50 roll, but make sure that it gives a special boost when they still succeed)

And maybe an overal (so level 1) thing where their crit success/crit fails are more spectacular than normal folk?
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey, thanks for the input!

It really helps me figure out what I do wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

How's this?;

Fortunate soul

Fortune of fate
    Starting at the 1st level, fate really likes to toy with you.
    When you make an attack roll or saving throw, you can forgo rolling to instead call evens/odds. If the correct number is called you automatically succeed regardless of the number rolled. However if the wrong number is called; for all intents and purposes you roll a natural 1. An automatic success bypasses the chance of a critical success, meaning even if you were to roll a natural 20 and call evens, it still counts as a regular hit.
    You can forgo rolling a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Lucky break
    Starting at the 1st level, when you fail an attack roll or saving throw, you can expend a 1st level spell slot to re-roll the die, potentially turning the failure into a success.

Lucky number
    Starting at the 6th level, choose a lucky number between 2 and 19. You may not change this number, as it is your ‘lucky’ number. Whenever a friendly creature within 10 feet of yourself makes a saving throw or attack roll and rolls your ‘lucky’ number, you gain 3 temporary hit points.
    The amount of hit points gained from this increases by an additional 3 at the 11th (6), and 17th (9) levels.
    You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Fate’s blessing.
    Starting at the 14th level, while below half your hit point maximum, and below 10 hit points; your armor class and spell save dc both increase by 2.

Deus Ex Machina
    Starting at the 18th level, if you are forced to make a death save; on a successful save, you regain 1 hit point, as well as 20 temporary hit points, and 1 expend spell slot of 3rd level or lower.
    You can use this feature a once, regaining its use when you finish a long rest.
    Last edited by mcumoric; 2022-03-18 at 12:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Better.

A few notes though. For both Lucky break and Deus ex machina, I'd give them one of these for free (so no spellslots used) and then give them the ability to use it again with the spellslot. (Also, I'd not say "level 1 spellslot" but "a spellslot of at least level 1" which gives them more uses, sure, but also the cost seriously goes up.

Lucky number is now the weirdes and probably weakest ability.
    I'd probably look back at your original ideas and go with "stealing/granting luck in return for bad luck elsewhere". Which can have 2 options.
    • Give yourself/an ally advantage, but an ally/yourself gets disadvantage in return.
    • Give an enemy disadvantage, but you also get disadvantage

Or something in that direction.
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.