Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Riposte, Scout alternative class feature

    Having seen this ability a couple times, I've started to like the idea of it more and more. Specifically, I've been wanting to throw it on a "tank" character. But reading the ability more thoroughly made me stumble upon the fact that it doesn't work in medium or heavy armor, something that I believe would compliment this ability the most.

    Really what I'm looking for is an alternative to riposte for a heavily armored character. I can't think of anything, and it may not exist, but I thought I'd try.
    The NPC.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pluto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    This is pretty much how Stormguard Warrior (ToB) and either Karmic Strike (CW) or Robilar's Gambit (PHB2) interact.

  3. - Top - End - #3

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    This is pretty much how Stormguard Warrior (ToB) and either Karmic Strike (CW) or Robilar's Gambit (PHB2) interact.
    Nitpick: Stormguard is the oddball there. It doesn't grant AoOs, it works with them.


    If you can get Riposte house ruled to work with Swift Hunter, it makes a TWFing Ranger very deadly. There's a feat that lets you take AoOs with both weapons you are wielding. Combine with Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike (and Stormguard Warrior, if you can squeeze in the requirements), and you will be a blender.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    I guess I should specify. The main thing I was looking for from riposte was the bonus damage. Those feats do interact very well with riposte, but unfortunately, I'm looking to make a heavy armor (and therefor low dex) character, which means not relying on attacks of opportunity. I know it won't be very optimized. I'm just looking for something more than a sword-and-board "I hit you with my longsword again" build. Riposte looked like a creative way to enhance a tank.

    (jeeze I'm so picky)
    The NPC.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    ...I looked at a few options: Dwarf, Tooth of Savnok, Dragonscale Husk ACF, Warforged with Adamantine Body etc. but none actually overcome the restriction of light or no armor.

    Most other items that grant an Armor Bonus (Bracers of Armor, Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor) cap out at +8, which is no better than a Chain Shirt +3. A custom item is an option, but it would be quite expensive compared to magical full plate. Bracers of Armor +13, for example (equivalent to Full Plate +5) would cost 169,000 gp.

    One option is the Ring of Arming. It allows you to "store" a second set of armor & weapon in a magical non-space, and summon/change it as a standard action. You could wear heavy armor for general fighting, and swap it out for light when you want to use riposte. Far, far from ideal, but all I can come up with off the top of my head...

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Person_Man's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    If you're looking for a non-boring tank, consider:
    • Binder: Dahlver-Nar vestige grants Shield Self ability: One enemy gets 50% of your damage (Will negates) for as long as he stays within range (10 ft per Binder level). Also gives you a natural armor bonus = 1/2 your Con bonus and a burst attack that Dazes enemies. There are plenty of other weird vestige options. The Binder doesn't have a strait forward bonus to damage - it's a special ability class (sort of like a Warlock tank). But being Cha based, a short dip synergizes very well with Paladin, Hexblade, Blackguard, and Crusader, which opens up your standard Power Attack and divine/domain feat combos.
    • Incarnate: Mantle of Flame soulmeld grants 1d6 + (1d6*essentia invested) retributive Fire damage every time an enemy hits you. You also get DR, SR, bonus hit points, and plenty of other tank goodness. A Lawful Incarnate can also get huge bonuses To-Hit, while an Evil Incarnate gets big bonuses to damage.
    • Totemist 2: The more violent and reckless brother of the Incarnate. Gets easy access to LOTS of natural weapons, boosts to damage, and great mobility.
    • Psychic Warrior 7: Hostile Empathic Transfer. You can also use Expanded Knowledge to get access to Forced Share Pain. You can also get large bonuses to damage from Claws of the Beast + Expansion + etc.
    • Crusader: Chock full of interesting things to do. I'm not even going to get into it, as it would take too long to explain in bullet format.
    • Knight 4+: King of Aggro. Your bonus damage comes from Spirited Charge (which you get as a bonus feat), and enemies must attack you (and not your friends).

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manchester NH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    In ebberon i could see that.

    Theres a feat called dancing with shadows or path of shadows or something for kala****es . It basicaly allows them to fight defensivly and get bonus's. turns your combat expertise/fighting defensive bonus into an offensive attack. plus with deadly defense or what ever feat it is that lets you do an extra 1d6 dmg when you fight defensivly or use combat expertise this could synergise quite well.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

    I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pluto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by EnnPeeCee View Post
    IThose feats do interact very well with riposte, but unfortunately, I'm looking to make a heavy armor (and therefor low dex) character, which means not relying on attacks of opportunity.
    Stormguard Warrior gives bonuses based on the number of AoO's you neglect to take. Dex is irrelevant.

    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Nitpick: Stormguard is the oddball there. It doesn't grant AoOs, it works with them.
    You're right.
    I wasn't clear.
    I meant the Stormguard Warrior/Karmic Strike combination or the Stormguard Warrior/Robilar's Gambit combination.
    Both grant a Fighter large damage increases based on the number of attacks made against him each round.
    (Both also require some strong defenses to survive, but I'm sure most players can find a way to make it work out.)
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-04-20 at 10:06 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...I looked at a few options: Dwarf, Tooth of Savnok, Dragonscale Husk ACF, Warforged with Adamantine Body etc. but none actually overcome the restriction of light or no armor.

    Most other items that grant an Armor Bonus (Bracers of Armor, Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor) cap out at +8, which is no better than a Chain Shirt +3. A custom item is an option, but it would be quite expensive compared to magical full plate. Bracers of Armor +13, for example (equivalent to Full Plate +5) would cost 169,000 gp.

    One option is the Ring of Arming. It allows you to "store" a second set of armor & weapon in a magical non-space, and summon/change it as a standard action. You could wear heavy armor for general fighting, and swap it out for light when you want to use riposte. Far, far from ideal, but all I can come up with off the top of my head...
    Hmm, that is one thing I failed to consider, alternatives to heavy armor. I'll look around to see if there is anything else that will work.


    Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    If you're looking for a non-boring tank, consider:
    • Binder: Dahlver-Nar vestige grants Shield Self ability: One enemy gets 50% of your damage (Will negates) for as long as he stays within range (10 ft per Binder level). Also gives you a natural armor bonus = 1/2 your Con bonus and a burst attack that Dazes enemies. There are plenty of other weird vestige options. The Binder doesn't have a strait forward bonus to damage - it's a special ability class (sort of like a Warlock tank). But being Cha based, a short dip synergizes very well with Paladin, Hexblade, Blackguard, and Crusader, which opens up your standard Power Attack and divine/domain feat combos.
    • Incarnate: Mantle of Flame soulmeld grants 1d6 + (1d6*essentia invested) retributive Fire damage every time an enemy hits you. You also get DR, SR, bonus hit points, and plenty of other tank goodness. A Lawful Incarnate can also get huge bonuses To-Hit, while an Evil Incarnate gets big bonuses to damage.
    • Totemist 2: The more violent and reckless brother of the Incarnate. Gets easy access to LOTS of natural weapons, boosts to damage, and great mobility.
    • Psychic Warrior 7: Hostile Empathic Transfer. You can also use Expanded Knowledge to get access to Forced Share Pain. You can also get large bonuses to damage from Claws of the Beast + Expansion + etc.
    • Crusader: Chock full of interesting things to do. I'm not even going to get into it, as it would take too long to explain in bullet format.
    • Knight 4+: King of Aggro. Your bonus damage comes from Spirited Charge (which you get as a bonus feat), and enemies must attack you (and not your friends).
    /sigh
    Thus my group's restrictions of no ToB, Incarnate, or Psionics gets in the way again. Granted, I'm just working on the character concept, but I like to stay within the rules of my group.
    I actually started thinking about this when I was looking at the knight.


    Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    In ebberon i could see that.

    Theres a feat called dancing with shadows or path of shadows or something for kala****es . It basicaly allows them to fight defensivly and get bonus's. turns your combat expertise/fighting defensive bonus into an offensive attack. plus with deadly defense or what ever feat it is that lets you do an extra 1d6 dmg when you fight defensivly or use combat expertise this could synergise quite well.
    Sounds interesting, I'll look for it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Stormguard Warrior gives bonuses based on the number of AoO's you neglect to take. Dex is irrelevant.

    edit:

    You're right.
    I wasn't clear.
    I meant the Stormguard Warrior/Karmic Strike combination or the Stormguard Warrior/Robilar's Gambit combination.
    Both grant a Fighter large damage increases based on the number of attacks made against him each round.
    (Both also require some strong defenses to survive, but I'm sure most players can find a way to make it work out.)
    Huh, so it does. Maybe I could look into making a no-ToB version of it.
    The NPC.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Maybe just modify the prerequisites (take out the needed Maneuvers and remove the Iron Heart references), and then use it as-is? ToB didn't invent tactical feats, they're present in force in both CWarrior and PHBII, so it should be fine even if your group doesn't use ToB. Nothing in the feat's actual abilities relates to maneuvers except the third function, which can be used with Iron Heart strikes or normal melee attacks anyways.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-04-20 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Bahh, there's really no easy way around this armor restriction is there? I doubt it would be at all gamebreaking to handwave away the restriction, but I hate resorting to homebrew.
    The NPC.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by EnnPeeCee View Post
    Bahh, there's really no easy way around this armor restriction is there? I doubt it would be at all gamebreaking to handwave away the restriction, but I hate resorting to homebrew.
    If the restriction was worded the same way as, for example, Tumble, then being a Dwarf or using the tooth of Savnok would overcome it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You canít use this skill if your speed has been reduced by armor, excess equipment, or loot.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    If the restriction was worded the same way as, for example, Tumble, then being a Dwarf or using the tooth of Savnok would overcome it.
    Yeah, but unfortunately, it isn't. It specifically says no medium or heavy armor.

    There is the halfweight armor enchantment from Underdark, but that's awfully expensive at +3 just to make a character concept work.

    The Knight's armor mastery also just removes the speed reduction on medium and heavy armors.
    The NPC.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ernir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    How about just a Mithral Breastplate? Counts as light.

    If all else fails, you can always ask the party Cleric to cast Luminous Armor (Book of Exalted Deeds) on you or something. Wearing armor is not the only way to not get hit.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

    My sarcasm is never blue.

    Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    How about just a Mithral Breastplate? Counts as light.

    If all else fails, you can always ask the party Cleric to cast Luminous Armor (Book of Exalted Deeds) on you or something. Wearing armor is not the only way to not get hit.
    True true, I was just hoping to design a heavy armor, low dex, character. If I use something like mithril armor I might as well just make a dex based character, which I tend to make a lot of. I'm in a shambling pile of armor kind of mood.
    The NPC.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    I found something!

    Tesselated Armor (3.0 AEG, p.95): essentially, it's +2 Full Plate that counts as medium. If you can get a mithril suit of this armor, it would count as light! Since it is a unique armor, and is 3.0, would probably require Dm approval to allow a mithril version of it...

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The Rabbler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    the 64th layer
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I found something!

    Tesselated Armor (3.0 AEG, p.95): essentially, it's +2 Full Plate that counts as medium. If you can get a mithril suit of this armor, it would count as light! Since it is a unique armor, and is 3.0, would probably require Dm approval to allow a mithril version of it...
    or. a bit more expensive, but completely legal by RAW: +1 halfweight (UD) mithril fullplate of nimbleness (MiC). totals fullplate AC bonus, treated as light armor for all purposes, 0 ARP, and +4 max dex.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

    Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

    I have salty tastes.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I found something!

    Tesselated Armor (3.0 AEG, p.95): essentially, it's +2 Full Plate that counts as medium. If you can get a mithril suit of this armor, it would count as light! Since it is a unique armor, and is 3.0, would probably require Dm approval to allow a mithril version of it...

    Nice find. I feel like you're putting more effort into this than I am.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    or. a bit more expensive, but completely legal by RAW: +1 halfweight (UD) mithril fullplate of nimbleness (MiC). totals fullplate AC bonus, treated as light armor for all purposes, 0 ARP, and +4 max dex.
    If I'm not mistaken, halfweight makes any armor light, so the mithril isn't necessary. But yeah, definitely an expensive option.
    The NPC.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by EnnPeeCee View Post
    Nice find. I feel like you're putting more effort into this than I am.
    I love a challenge, not to mention that it could be beneficial on some builds I am looking at for my game.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    If you're looking for a non-boring tank, consider:
    • Binder: Dahlver-Nar vestige grants Shield Self ability: One enemy gets 50% of your damage (Will negates) for as long as he stays within range (10 ft per Binder level). Also gives you a natural armor bonus = 1/2 your Con bonus and a burst attack that Dazes enemies. There are plenty of other weird vestige options. The Binder doesn't have a strait forward bonus to damage - it's a special ability class (sort of like a Warlock tank). But being Cha based, a short dip synergizes very well with Paladin, Hexblade, Blackguard, and Crusader, which opens up your standard Power Attack and divine/domain feat combos.
    Nitpick: you can't dip binder with paladin without losing your class abilities, as I recall; many DMs would also enforce this on Crusader even if it's not RAW.
    -E3
    Homebrew (PEACH):
    The Defender

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The Rabbler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    the 64th layer
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by EnnPeeCee View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, halfweight makes any armor light, so the mithril isn't necessary. But yeah, definitely an expensive option.
    It does, but I was adding on the mithril to get the max dex higher and lower the ARP to 0. if that doesn't matter to you, ignore it, but I generally like not having my armor hinder me in the slightest bit.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

    Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

    I have salty tastes.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Riposte Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicEvokerElf View Post
    Nitpick: you can't dip binder with paladin without losing your class abilities, as I recall; many DMs would also enforce this on Crusader even if it's not RAW.
    Not correct: absolutely no reason you can't be an LG binder, and no reason it would affect Paladin abilities, other than possibly deity specific ones. ToM even has sidebars to deal with "Heterodoxy", and how to be a Binder/Cleric or Binder/Paladin even if your deity doesn't approve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •