New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Wizard duels and other things regarding a High Magic adventure

Okay, tired of seeing the same stupid martial builds my players come up with all the time, I've been thinking of forcing them all into a picking caster classes (that is, tier 1-2 classes) for our next game. I don't know if it'll be a campaign out of it or not, but that doesn't matter.

What matters is how I should structure the game to maximize the fun, right? well, I was thinking of level capping them at level 10 (so we'd have a gang of level 10 wizards/clerics/psions running amok). Now, how am I supposed to challenge them (especially when it comes to encounters. These are kick the door adventurers), and what kind of tricks will they try to pull at me with their combined magic might?

(I got two players who are notorious for trying to find loopholes in the rules just for the satisfaction of slapping each other on the back for a game well abused. If I'm not reigning them in, it usually leads to a lot of what I like dumb ****)

Also, I'm aware that the only way to challenge a wizard is with another wizard. So, how has magic duels worked out to you in the past? I got some experience of my own (The party had one especially notorious fight between a player telepath and an enemy wizard. Tentacles and body switch hilarity ensued). And what kind of normal monsters would prove challenging to these guys? If I just throw sorcerers at them they'll get bored.

And no, I'm not putting any limits on my players here. This is meant to become a no holds barred magic beatdown adventures, and I'm expecting everyone to do their best/worst.
    Totally getting something nice here, when the time is right that is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Wizard duels and other things regarding a High Magic adventure

Not got a lot of advice here, but if you want to panic them, a combat monster with SR would be amusing. Not too high, but it'd force them to buff each other into being able to fight. Also, read: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...s+Batman+guide
    That's a lot of advice on being a wizard. Ought to give you some ideas what they can do.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If your players normally make melee-ers are they going to be the usual Batman Wizards? If not then there's no reason to necessarily rely on other Mages as enemies. Paladins can have a decent bonus to all Saves if their Cha is up to scratch, which means a lot of their spells are less likely to work. Maybe a Spellthief who stalks them and steals one of their spells whenever they aren't looking before doing a runner.

Monsters: A Rakshasa is dangerous to Mages because it has relatively powerful Spell Resistance. Or Golems are immune to most magic if you're feeling particularly cruel.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Learnedguy View Post
    Also, I'm aware that the only way to challenge a wizard is with another wizard.
    i would have thought the "best" way to counter a Wizard would be with either a Noctumancer or a Sorcerer dedicated to counterspelling (dip into Cleric probably required).

an adventuring Batman type wizard with a general utility spell and feat list would get creamed by either of those two.

at least, that's what i'm hoping (i'm currently playing a noctumancer in a pbp game and i'm building him especially for caster duels. at least i think i'm building him for caster duels. will have to wait until i have a couple of them to be sure.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Learnedguy View Post
    Okay, tired of seeing the same stupid martial builds my players come up with all the time, I've been thinking of forcing them all into a picking caster classes (that is, tier 1-2 classes) for our next game. I don't know if it'll be a campaign out of it or not, but that doesn't matter.

What matters is how I should structure the game to maximize the fun, right?
    Call me crazy, but I'm thinking the best way to maximize fun might be to not force your players into classes they don't seem to have any intrest in playing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darcand View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'm thinking the best way to maximize fun might be to not force your players into classes they don't seem to have any intrest in playing.
    This.
    They can have fun, playing something different, but definitely not for a whole campaign.
    I suggest a single short adventure, i've done it with my group and it was a moderate success.

Here's a link to my old (and hopefully useful) thread regarding some enemy.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Complete Arcane has rules for wizard duels, but Darcand is right.
    -E3
    Homebrew (PEACH):
    The Defender