New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: An Idea...

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Question An Idea...

So here's an idea:

A vast war has embroiled a land for decades, and the winds of battle have finally slowed. The group of adventurers have been working together since their town was razed to the ground by the enemy. However, they hear news of a new settlement, far(insert direction) of their ancestral home. Their town was a simple settlement in the middle of a vast forest, the (insert generic forest name here). They decided to go off towards that, but, (PLOTPLOTPLOT).

Any ideas for the PLOTPLOTPLOT?
    Homebrew:
    Endless Thanks go to Akrim.elf for the excellent avatar of an antique Gordon-Style Letterpress. With haberdasherical accessory.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: An Idea...

Well, their town was destroyed by enemies, so presumably the forest will be teeming with enemy scouts and bandits preying on the villagers. Alternately, the villagers have risen as undead, perhaps raised by one of the army guys (because you don't fight a decades-long war without a way to resupply troops). Maybe they have been acting behind enemy lines and now need to cross the front to get "home"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not sure which part of this you want our help with. Does the village need to be special? Do you want ideas for a location-based campaign set in the village that the PCs are turning into their new (and more fortified) home? Should there be obstacles in the way, the quest being to get to the village?
    Last edited by Swordgleam; 2010-04-20 at 08:48 PM.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

What I mostly want is the plot following their egress, and what kind of subtle plot hooks I could put in the forest for them to find.
    Homebrew:
    Endless Thanks go to Akrim.elf for the excellent avatar of an antique Gordon-Style Letterpress. With haberdasherical accessory.