New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default 3.5 Assassin Build

My friend wants to play an assassin and use the assassin class. I am trying to convince her to use factotum as her base class.

Looking for build ideas. All books are legal, but she is new so the learning curve should be as shallow as humanly possible.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: 3.5 Assassin Build

Well 1 have you thought about just going strait rogue?
    Rogues are pritty strait forward.

Some other easy rogue esc ones are

Rogue3/swashbuckler3 -Takeing daring outlaw
    Scout 3/Rogue 3 -taking swift ambusher
    Ninja 5-6

Assasin is dreadfully easy to get into just skill requirement so these could:
    Ranger or monk could qualify

If you want something a bit more difficult:
    Spellthief 2/Swashbuckler 3

Edit:

What is the rest of the party so i know what type of optimisation there is.
    Last edited by RagnaroksChosen; 2010-04-21 at 09:56 AM.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I think if you're looking for straightforward that going Rog3/Rgr 2 using TWF wouldn't be too bad.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rogue 1/Evil Incarnate 4 could be fun, if a bit MAD.

But Rogue 5 is my prefered entry, regardless: good sneak attack, good skills, good use of high Int.
    Not very tricky, but I'm not sure why it should be.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-04-21 at 10:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

I suggest a Dromite (size + psionics) Sneaky Thug Fighter 4/Soulknife 2/Assassin 10/Invisible Blade 4. The Soulknife is in only for look/flavor

Then take Deep Impact, Expertise and Improved Feint to be able to hit your foe every time. All you must do is beat a 10AC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If you're hitting your target every time, why bother with the fighter levels?

This is the build I've suggest for her:

Human Rogue 1/Factotum 4/Assassin X

Feats:
    Human: Craven (Champions of Ruin)
    1- Point Blank Shot
    3- Precise Shot

6- Arterial Strike
    9- Ability Focus: Death Attack
    12- Font of Inspiration
    15- Font of Inspiration
    18- Font of Inspiration

Any thoughts?
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    If you're hitting your target every time, why bother with the fighter levels?

This is the build I've suggest for her:

Human Rogue 1/Factotum 4/Assassin X

Feats:
    Human: Craven (Champions of Ruin)
    1- Point Blank Shot
    3- Precise Shot

6- Arterial Strike
    9- Ability Focus: Death Attack
    12- Font of Inspiration
    15- Font of Inspiration
    18- Font of Inspiration

Any thoughts?
    As far as I know, Death Attack only applies to melee attacks, so i don't see the use of the ranged feats.

Weapon Finese would probably be a better option, and Darkstalker from Lords of Madness (able to hide from things with blindsense and the like).
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I think Ranger is the best class for an assassin. Hide and Move Silently as class skills allow you to qualify easily at level 5, full bab and d8 HD helps. Favored enemy and sneak attack would give you a pretty nice bonus damage source to use with TWF.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    As far as I know, Death Attack only applies to melee attacks, so i don't see the use of the ranged feats.
    Wow, did not notice that. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rogue5, Rogue3/SneakAttackFighter1/PsionicRogue1 (or something similar - maxing out Sneak Attack dice), Rogue3/SS2 (maneuvers), or Rogue3/Swashbuckler3 (Int synergy) can all be good entries.

ACF from Dungeonscape (sneak attack immune enemies while flanking for half damage), and PHB2 if you go 4+ levels in rogue (sacrifice SA on your first hit, target takes a -5AC for a round, don't sacrifice SA on all remaining hits).

Feats-wise, Weapon Finesse, TWF chain, Craven, Darkstalker, and a way of getting Dex to damage.

My preferred method is something along the lines of:
    Focus on Dex > Con > Wis [make sure to have enough Int to cast your spells, but the spells will have a pitiful save whether or not you pump Int, and an assassin's 4+Int skills makes a poor skill monkey no matter how high your Int. Go with Wis, for scouting ability and Will saves now and AC later]
    Rogue1 - +1SA, TWF, Weapon Focus
    Rogue2
    Rogue3 - +1SA, Weapon Finesse, Penetrating Strike ACF, retrain Weapon Focus to Craven
    Rogue4 - Distracting Attack ACF [personal preference]
    Rogue4/SS1 - Weapon Focus (bonus feat); Island of Blades, Cloak of Deception, and Distracting Ember (essential maneuvers)
    Rogue5/SS1 - Shadow Blade
    Rogue5/SS1/Asn1 - +1SA
    Rogue5/SS1/Asn2
    Rogue5/SS1/Asn3 - +1SA, Alter Self!
    Rogue5/SS1/Asn4 - Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
    Rogue5/SS2/Asn4 - +2SA from Assassin's Stance (maneuver), Wis->AC
    Continue with Assassin.

Attack bonus isn't outstanding (likely 14/14/9/9, assuming 16Dex +2lvlups +4item), but the -5AC to the target after hitting once helps a lot (both you an your allies). Next feat should probably be Darkstalker, to fool (almost) every sense while hiding.

EDIT: Death attack is horrible, horrible, horrible. Unless you can manage to do it before combat starts. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of time. Pumping a feat you can't afford (Ability Focus), and Int score you can't afford (18), and 8000gp on top of that (bracers from DotU), you can hit DC20 at level 10 - something an NPC wizard will even make half the time. Let's not even mention a brawler-type.
    Though Death Attack and poisons are two things that could easily use a fix of some kind, if you're willing to do so.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2010-04-21 at 02:14 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

2 ways around the melee only thing.

Whirling Blade allows you to attack all foes in a 60' line as if they were melee attacks. Its not on the Assassin spell list, but its non-CL dependant and goes great on a wand (which you could put in a wand chamber within the focus weapon). Assassins get UMD, so you can keep your ranks up. Its only a DC20.

The other involves 4 levels of Bloodstorm Blade, which would also probably require at least 1 Warblade level to keep from bleeding feats out the wazoo. This is probably less desired given that you'd probably want to be taking Assassin levels when you'd be taking BSB levels, but you could qualify for Assassin as a Rogue4/Warblade1 to get some 2nd level manevuers. That means you could deliver a Death Attack with Emerald Razor, which in most cases, would be an attack against AC10. Nifty.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-04-21 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Factotum is useful for Brains Over Brawn. But unless your Assassin is going to be doing a lot of Trip or Bull Rush attempts, that's not much help.

IMO, if you can swing decent Dex, Int, and Cha, then the best entry for Assassin would include some Paladin of Tyranny, Binder, Hexblade, and/or Blackguard. Each of these classes can a penalty on enemy Saves, which is needed to give Death Attack a chance of working. And being Cha based makes Fear based feats and class abilities workable, which can further debuff your enemy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Although HIGHLY unoptimized, I'm partial to Beguiler 5/Assassin 10/Beguiler 5. Spells to improve stealth, light armor use, maximum INT, etc. But you give up sneak attack and caster level...mainly a flavor thing for me, but to each his/her own.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In the Spell Compendium there is a spell called "Snipers Eye" that let's Assassins do Death attack at range (Spell level 4). There is also "Snipers Shot" which removes range limitations for sneak attacks (Spell level 1).
    Considering that a Death attack seems to be a sort of "enhanced" sneak attack, I let the assassin in my group stack these spells to do death attacks at any range. Combined with a high int it can be pretty effective when ambushing casters.
    Last edited by Gahrer; 2010-04-22 at 04:52 AM.
    In the light of all your burning bridges, does the world seem like a warmer place to you?

When in doubt: Assasinate everyone.

The Burning mage