New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default [4E] Quick question on Serene Initiate PP (Avengers)

Hi,

So one of my players is currently an Avenger (Lvl14), and has taken the Serene Initiate Paragon Path (from Divine Power). However, his Avenger build is Int based, rather than Dex based, and there are two Paragon Path Features that key off of Dex:

Serene Edge (11th level): When you miss your oath of enmity target with an encounter attack power, the attack deals damage to the target equal to your Dexterity modifier.
    Certain Cut (16th level): When you miss your oath of enmity target with an at-will attack power, the attack deals damage to the target equal to your Dexterity modifier.

The Paragon Path fits with his character theme, but his Dex is crap. Is there any reason not to allow him to use Int instead of Dex for these abilities?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Quick question on Serene Initiate PP (Avengers)

I see no problem with that. Ability scores are intended to be interchangeable (which is why you see so many racial or PP abilities like "str, dex or con vs reflex"), and the few ones that aren't tend to be errata-bait (e.g. the battle mage riposte).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Especially since both of these effects trigger off of a miss, I don't really see a huge problem in swapping it to INT.
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I think you should go further. It shouldn't be Int on a miss. It should be Int*level on a miss. And it should knock people prone. And daze them. And when he hits, it should be even more awesome! They should be double-prone! YEAH! That would be AWESOME!
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2010-04-21 at 03:11 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I think you should go further. It shouldn't be Int on a miss. It should be Int*level on a miss. And it should knock people prone. And daze them. And when he hits, it should be even more awesome! They should be double-prone! YEAH! That would be AWESOME!
    ...so you would be the player in question, then?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tbarrie View Post
    ...so you would be the player in question, then?
    No. I am a completely unbiased observer, only seeking to bring balance to the table.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2010-04-21 at 05:18 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.