New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [A/T] Acro-Imperial Territory

"Ah, that's understandable. Have you tried to mention that most places call themselves Empires for no good reason?"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

[Labs]

I've tried lots of things. They just don't think we should expect you guys to treat us any better than the last human empire that has ever ruled goblins in our homeworld. Silly, I know, but that's goblins for you.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

[Labs]

"I'm not Empire actually. I'm freelance. This is just another job for me. And these guys don't seem big into slavery anyways."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

[Labs]

Tell that to Krugzim and his guys. Grimzig sighs. At least Krugzim's cousin is more progressive. You probably don't know that, but we goblins can be convservative like hell.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Viscose simply shrugs. "Eh, everyone can be like that. It's nothing new. I hope you can convince them otherwise though."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

[Labs]

Yeah, I hope I can. So, anyway, what kind of enchantments could you use on this thing?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

He looks over the designs again. "I'd have to implant a powerful shield spell into the hull, possibly a barrier spell to repulse earth as well. As for powersources, I have several that I can modify to fit into the machine. But with something that size, you'll probably have to replace the battery every 6 or so months, so I'll give you spares to keep on board."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

[Labs]

Good, good. Can those batteries run on coal?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

[Imperial Territory-General]

The Empire has begun building a road system connecting Inside and the towns and villages it controls. This will take quite a long time, but DC-the-player felt like mentioning it anyway. <.<
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Labs]

Good, good. Can those batteries run on coal?
    "I can make ones that do, but they're mostly just stored energy. The coal could refuel dead ones."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

[Labs]

Sounds good. I'll see if Krugzim can provice coal. I have the amount of required construction materials mostly calculated.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

[Imperial Laboratories]

Affidavit will be notified that the shield is no longer an issue, though the labs may retain the two shield generator samples for possible applications later.

Instead, he will be informed-by General Noir via e-mail once again-that the labs are to focus on vehicles, particularly hover vehicles. It's not specifically said, but Affidavit might consider that Noir may be pushing for the use of the technology to make the boundary between land and air forces a bit more blurry, given the Empire's fondness of, say, airships.

A suggestion for an actual start to that focus is a new APC/IFV model, given the technological inferiority of Imperial APCs next to much of the rest of the military.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside]

Grimzig and his team are working on something that looks like a set of huge metal cylinders with lots of additional parts.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Yeah, I'll put some more work into the AI! Full charge, one laser, sweep. Iggy says, as the laser that's pointing the right way takes a couple of seconds to charge, before unleashing a foot-wide sustained laser beam of brilliant blue-ish white on whichever tank is furtherest to the left, sweeping the beam through all of them.
    Bleh...this is what happens when I get lazy. I forget about things...

Anyway, for the next few minutes the Prof continues to test Iggy's piece of work with increasingly challenging combinations of moving targets, but considering how capable it's already proven to be, I think it's safe to say the robot can handle it.

Meanwhile, the other Affidavit stares at the new orders, then shrugs and has them passed on to the inventors. If they don't come up with anything, well, hover technology is nothing too hard. He could probably manage it himself.

For now though, Affidavit decides to go and have a bit of a tinker with the empire's old shield generator. He could probably find some use for the technology, if not for the empire then certainly for himself.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Barbarian in the Playground

After the roboty thing destroys the last of the target, Iggy tells it to standby, and hops off.

So, like it? He says to Affidavit as I aim wildly for his text colour.

He rests his wrench up against his shoulder, grinning.

I can probably get a servicable AI up in a week or so. I'll need a set of Imperial armour for that, though.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

The large drill-like structure on the grounds outside is growing. The goblins are working diligently and some of the engines are already being tested.

17. - Top - End - #257

"Indeed. Your robot is a very impressive piece of work. Go ahead. You have my permission to use whatever you need to get the AI up to scratch. I look forward to seeing the final model." Affidavit grins and heads off...

...and then he sees the goblins working on, erm, something. A giant drill, maybe? Whatever it is, Affidavit can't resist having a quick peek. He walks over and watches from what he judges to be a safe distance. A moment later he remembers what their last project was and steps a little further back, just to be sure.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Grimzig approaches Affidavit. He's visibly tired and sleep-deprived.
    Good afternoon, Professor. How do you like our newest creation?

19. - Top - End - #259

"Erm...that depends. What exactly does it do?" Affidavit still looks rather cautious, as if expecting their invention to suddenly go out of control or something.

20. - Top - End - #260

Sweet! Iggy says, running towards the labs. He'll grab the nearest guard on his way in and try and pull him to the labs, shouting that he needs him.

Probably not gonna work, but hey.

Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    "Erm...that depends. What exactly does it do?" Affidavit still looks rather cautious, as if expecting their invention to suddenly go out of control or something.
    As you can see, it's a giant drill. It's supposed to be used to get through soil, rock and walls with ease and speed. We plan on it to be able to operate both underground and above ground in all directions.

22. - Top - End - #262

((So they've basically created The Mole from Thunderbirds? Wow...that's pretty damn useful!))

"So it's a high speed giant drill. Could be quite useful. I'll contact the empire, see what they think of the idea. I'll need to see a test run once it's fully operational, but considering the nature and frequency of disasters around here, it could certainly be useful bringing a giant drill or two into the empire's emergency services. Keep up the good work!"

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

((It was actually inspired by the drill from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Of course, it's a lot more technologically advanced than that.))
    Grimzig salutes. Thank you, proffessor. We hope to get it operational soon enough.

24. - Top - End - #264

((It reminds me of The Mole anyway. That thing was more useful than Thunderbird 4! It could drill through anything! And the goblins certainly sound like they're making something about as useful.))

Affidavit nods and heads off back to his office. Once there he sends a report to...the person he's supposed to send reports to, I dunno. Anyway, he sends a report to the empire people about the drill and the progress on the robot.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

The goblins continue working on the drill. It looks ready for the first testing phases now.

26. - Top - End - #266

Iggy's certainly made some serious progress.

The AI was finished, giving the machine an advanced target recognition system, which would stop it from targetting Imperial Soldiers in their uniform or ISF troops in theirs.

In the event of plain clothes soldiers, Iggy's designed a device that can be keyed with a target's genetic structure (to prevent theft) so that the steel-golem-bot won't fire at them.

Now he just needs the go ahead from Affidavit to start mass-producing these things.

But, first, Iggy is wracking his brain at his workstation for an idea.

Some call it the most important part of any new invention.

He must have a name!

Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

[Outlying Settlements]

On the outskirts of the Empire, people are growing uneasy. While times had been relatively calm within the nation, some refugees from outside the borders, and away from any other major powers, have fled into border areas, yelling warnings of a 'phantom ship' in the sky, striking only at night and under cloud cover.

The government has publicly declined an investigation into the matter, saying that it is outside the Empire's borders and jurisdiction.

Some deeper in the Empire even dismiss it as nothing more than a rumor.

((whoo plot buildup post))
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

[Acronymian Empire-General]

Outside the capital city of Inside, times for the greater Empire had been quite calm.

The non-Inside territories had prospered, unmarred as threats seemed to focus almost entirely on Inside itself or areas outside the Empire's borders.

Not all news was good, however. The Imperial Laboratories had remained stagnant and unproductive (as no one bothered posting there), and the IA's main base outside Inside, the Mountain Base, has been basically dormant since the Spectre incident.

Reports of that giant flying menace had leveled off as the former Director, Drelin, took the craft out of the Nexus.

But maybe the base hadn't been so dormant after all.

[Imperial Mountain Base-The Empire Supreme]

The base has always had a single main purpose, its use as an IA fortress a secondary objective.

It is a construction, launch, and landing site for the Empire's most remarkable military craft-gigantic and extremely powerful aerial vessels. The Empire's current one, the Sanctuary, was constructed here.

It was here that the Empire's second constructed behemoth, the Spectre, was constructed and stolen by the traitor Drelin.

It is here and on its products that the Acro-Imperial Air Force makes its command centers.

And a new one has emerged. The enormous mega-vehicle buster called the Supremacy (described in the Empire link in my sig) has launched from the base, out into the Nexus.

((I have thread necromancy permission, by the way. A note: This is for the territory of the Empire. All posts in Outside are treated as being outside the Empire. Just so people know.))
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Caravan Rendezvous Point

Wagons are gathering here for the caravan that will be leaving soon.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Caravan]

The rugged elf will already be there before the caravan starts to gather, helping out with necessaries if needed while only settling with using a minimum usage of words.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2010-12-14 at 01:57 PM.