New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Why is Arcane Magic better than Psionics?

i guess the title says it all, why are wizards better than psions? are sorcerors, then, also better than wilders?

also, do psions have a counter-power ability, like how arcanists can counter-spell?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Why is Arcane Magic better than Psionics?

More and more abusable spells than powers, wizards can amass more of them and change them daily, low-level spells autoscale, metamagic is more abusable than metapsionics because the latter has the psionic focus cost; those are the main points.

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    also, do psions have a counter-power ability, like how arcanists can counter-spell?
    You can't counterpower a psion, but I think a psion can counterspell an arcanist using dispel psionics. And because of the flexibility of augmentation, they can actually do it pretty well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In most cases, arcane spells are more powerful than their psionic equivilants.

However, if the powers were equal in strength to spells, psions would be far and away more powerful than wizards as the flexibility in manipulation of one's Power Points makes conservation and approriate use of force far easier than the Vancian fire and forget system. As a result giving greater range of power and less restriction on when/how it is used.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Also, Psion is more like a stronger Sorc. It does not have unlimited powers known.

Wilder is an even more limited Sorc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

There are rules for countering powers in Hyperconscious. Third party, but it's written by Bruce Cordell, the mastermind behind the XPH.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

What happens if we consider the Erudite?
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coplantor View Post
    What happens if we consider the Erudite?
    Do you refer to the Spell-to-Power Erudite? It's not strong due to being psionic. It's strong due to being an Archivist on crack.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The normal Erudite is about equal with a Psion. More Powers Known, but the UPD is severely limiting early on. The free psicrystal is a very nice touch though.

Sadly, no Autohypnosis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

UPD power depends if you play by the table or by the text, as far as I understand, the text makes it ridiculously powerful.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

More support, generally more abusable results of said support.

Main reasons, in my mind.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalsneerg View Post
    Do you refer to the Spell-to-Power Erudite? It's not strong due to being psionic. It's strong due to being an Archivist on crack.
    is spell-to-power erudite an ACF? and if so where can i find it?

and how do you figure that it is an archivist on crack?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

When you know all the Psionic powers + Discipline and Arcane and Divine, 11 UPD per spell lvl is still probably isn't all that much. :P

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    is spell-to-power erudite an ACF? and if so where can i find it?

and how do you figure that it is an archivist on crack?
    Web expansion: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a

You can learn Arcane spells as powers. And some cheese lets you take divine ones too (people with Divine as Arcane spells).

You now know all magic.

(Also, like Mantled for full Magic Transparency. Hello breakage.)

However, you need a ton of XP to learn them all (mostly because there's so damn many spells)
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2010-04-22 at 11:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

An StP Erudite unfortunately can't learn 9th-level spells until Epic, because he can only learn spells below his maximum power-level.

But he's broken the game long before that - getting infinite power points with Mental Pinnacle, or tossing out Forcecages free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    When you know all the Psionic powers + Discipline and Arcane and Divine, 11 UPD per spell lvl is still probably isn't all that much. :P
    If your DM goes with that interpretation, he deserves what he gets.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    An StP Erudite unfortunately can't learn 9th-level spells until Epic, because he can only learn spells below his maximum power-level.
    Teleport through time.

I send my Epic Thrall Erudite back in time to Psychic Chirurgery all lvl 9 spells to me. Also, Thought Bottle to help XP.

Heck, do it on your lvl 1 erudite. I'm lvl 1 with an Epic Thrall!

(Expect the DM to throw books at you).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

More support for the casting style, and a mechanic that tends to promote more endurance than psions, combine to make arcane generally superior, all else being equal.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Teleport through time.

I send my Epic Thrall Erudite back in time to Psychic Chirurgery all lvl 9 spells to me. Also, Thought Bottle to help XP.

Heck, do it on your lvl 1 erudite. I'm lvl 1 with an Epic Thrall!

(Expect the DM to throw books at you).
    you could probably pull off psicrystal leadership shenanigans for this, too.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

By 'better', I assume you mean more broken? It isn't by much, if at all, really. The Psion is tier 2, which is tier 1 powerful, but with limited scope.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    By 'better', I assume you mean more broken? It isn't by much, if at all, really. The Psion is tier 2, which is tier 1 powerful, but with limited scope.
    well, even the non-StP erudite can be game-breakingly powerful. it's just harder than for wizards, due to lack of as many choices.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In my humble and fragmented opinion, the power gap between arcane and psionics increases in direct proportion to the number of supplements used. Core spells are indeed more broken than XPH powers, but every additional book adds new spells, while few add new powers. Thus, if you want to run a campaign in setting X where standing still for more than five seconds lights your ears on fire, there is probably a spell they added to prevent that, but not a power.

This gets even worse in third-party material, where you have entire books of nothing but new spells for specific schools and perhaps a single book dealing with all things psionic.

In short, arcane magic gets MUCH better than psionics when you allow more books, and they stay competitive if you limit the books used to a minimum. Of course, those limits can mean psionics players get really creative with the powers they have...and really bruised from the books thrown at them in response.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Psionic powers are better at some things - like time travel, as previously noted. Also, not being counterable, not requiring components, suffering no failure chance in armor, and being designed for a more modular points-system.

While you can make up the difference in lists by researching powers (that are identical to the spells you want to copy,) researching spells that mimic powers will still at least require a component to cast, thereby having at least that inherent limitation.

21. - Top - End - #21

Divine is better than both combined. Divine is the ultimatum. An archivist thats 20th level will ALWAYS beat a wizard of the same level. A Favored Soul 20 will always beat a Sorcerer 20. How? Healing spells, and real class features.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ~LuckyBoneDice~ View Post
    Divine is better than both combined. Divine is the ultimatum. An archivist thats 20th level will ALWAYS beat a wizard of the same level. A Favored Soul 20 will always beat a Sorcerer 20. How? Healing spells, and real class features.
    What about Wings of cover for a funny:no!

FS: Destruction!
    Sorceror: Power Word No! (wings of cover)

Really, Sorcerors can beat FS.
    Cleric are the harder one due to turning feats (DSP, DMM, Champion Devotion feats, etc).

Edit: I meant Wings of cover

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Divine is better than both combined. Divine is the ultimatum. An archivist thats 20th level will ALWAYS beat a wizard of the same level.
    I can see your argument from a base class perspective, but arcane does tend to get the better PrCs, and ACFs.

A Favored Soul 20 will always beat a Sorcerer 20. How? Healing spells, and real class features.
    I disagree here; Favored Souls are decent at healing, but MADness means they'll either have very weak magic, or blow through it much too quickly. A Sorcerer meanwhile only has to focus on one stat.

@ Starbuck - I think you mean Wings of Cover there.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I could probably beat an Archivist with a Cerebromancer. The action advantage from both powers and spells is very potent in pvp.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    I think I could probably beat an Archivist with a Cerebromancer. The action advantage from both powers and spells is very potent in pvp.
    That Archivist can do the same to you, with Archivist/Psion/Psychic Theurge.

In fact, they get even more action abuse thanks to Battle Blessing powering their heals and dispels.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-04-22 at 12:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Right... Go ahead and use 7th level spells and powers, while I use 9th level divine spells. Seems underpowered, eh?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    That Archivist can do the same to you, with Archivist/Psion/Psychic Theurge.
    I concour. and, this is a powerful combo, being as how Archivist has every spell in the books. Although personally, I'd go with a Spell-to-Power Erudite on the other side

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

You said divine was better than arcane and psionic combined. If the Archivist has access to all the wizard spells, then he's using arcane, as far as I'm concerned. If he's a Psychic Theurge, then he's not just divine anymore.

At any rate, I agree that an Archivist with access to any spell has a bit of an edge over the Wizard, and retract my challenge if that's the case.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

29. - Top - End - #29

You said divine was better than arcane and psionic combined. If the Archivist has access to all the wizard spells, then he's using arcane, as far as I'm concerned. If he's a Psychic Theurge, then he's not just divine anymore.

At any rate, I agree that an Archivist with access to any spell has a bit of an edge over the Wizard, and retract my challenge if that's the case.
    Archivist has spells off the Wizard's, Bard's, Paladin's, Cleric's, Druid's, Assassin's, and all others in his list.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

For the record, I don't think Divine beats Arcane/Psionic combined. Combining two systems is generally superior to one, unless one of them is Truenaming.

But a straight Archivist vs. a Cerebremancer of equal level will have a bit of an edge due to class features and higher-level spells. The right powers (e.g. Synchronicity) can offset this. It's a bit too complicated to tell.