New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Fantasy powered armor

My soon-to-be-used character is faced with a quandary: on one hand, it has a low Dex score and is psionic, and therefore has no reason not to hide in Mechanus Gear armor. On the other hand, it has a low Strength and small size; it can't carry heavy armor, and can't move at all quickly inside it. My question is: can the armor be enchanted to move , ideally at 30 feet/round, on its own, and if so, how cheaply may this be done?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fantasy powered armor

This might be a good starting point. Problem is it's rather expensive.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

-Hollowed out Iron Golem (possibly created with the help of a manual)
    -Permanent Animate Objects on a Suit of armor
    -Control Body on yourself while wearing a normal suit of armor (have your psicrystal concentrate for you)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Control Object on your armor, the saving throw is the wearer(you), so you can voluntarily fail the save.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Control object doesn't work because the target has to be unattended and there is no saving throw. In essence you cant fail the saving throw because anything that would let you make the throw cancels the power.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If you're small size you could just ride something, since it'll be a medium creature like the rest of the party. Mithril will cut the weight of the armor in half, and small size will cut that in half again to less than 20lbs. It'll cost a bit more than 10,000gp, but that's probably a lot cheaper than finding some way to animate it. After that if you need more strength, a quick Bull's Strength should give you enough to speed up. Or just apply an enhancement bonus, such as Expeditious Retreat.

Otherwise, why not just ride something else? Just being small drops the weight to around 40lbs, so even a medium mount shouldn't have much trouble carrying you and your gear around. How about a custom at-will item of mount to summon infinite ponies? For those with some money to throw around, there's the Onyx Dog or a pair of Golden Lions. A few Bags of Trcks (Rust or Tan) will give you enough mounts to adventure every day of the week, and no one will know what you're gonna charge in on next. Or take Wild Cohort and get a replaceable animal companion.

Not that I'm objecting to powered armor, it's just that it's pretty difficult territory to get right. Either it ends up way too good, because that's just how powered armor is supposed to be, or it ends up just being armor with built in Gauntlets of Ogre Power. I think a series of sacrificial ponies is much more amusing (you might specify that they disappear if not ridden, to prevent trap springing abuse). You could also buy a Talisman of the Disk, and ride the Floating Disk around sidecar style.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Are you allowed third party books? I found a golem in one that is basically power armor.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Malkar View Post
    Control object doesn't work because the target has to be unattended and there is no saving throw. In essence you cant fail the saving throw because anything that would let you make the throw cancels the power.
    Use generic telekinesis then, the real kind, not that glitchy spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Homebrew solution?

Also, it's not that hard to get magical or psionic flight, which usually ignores your encumbrance. Or you can just use Inertial Armor, which is superior to most armor you can buy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

you could do animate dead on a medium or large creature. Now that it is a skeleton build a suit of armor for it out of glass steel and some other metal. once done you sit in the chest area looking out through the glass steel window you put in the armor. now enchant as you see fit. oh do not forget to make the animate undead permanent.
    current avatar by Nathan

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
    Originally Posted by Randel
    A dwarven monk got drunk
    and sat on an elephants trunk
    the elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
    and that was the end of the monk

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

There is an epic artifact for this...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magic...htm#golemArmor

There it is.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    I really haven't. The players quickly move to the tavern after the campaign starts but they never start there. Even the three which have taken place in a city.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Well, first of all, there's the Apparatus of Kwalish to use as a base. My idea, and it works mostly from the point of view of an artificer-type:

1) Obtain some very good full plate; of a size larger than you if you prefer to sit, rather than wear. Adamantine would be ideal, but anything awesome would be good.

2) Enchant it with Animate Objects, as one would do for an Apparatus; instead of being a random attacking thingy, it's a full-on suit that responds to your commands.

3) If possible, bind it as an item familiar.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    you could do animate dead on a medium or large creature. Now that it is a skeleton build a suit of armor for it out of glass steel and some other metal. once done you sit in the chest area looking out through the glass steel window you put in the armor. now enchant as you see fit. oh do not forget to make the animate undead permanent.
    That is quite possibly the best idea I have heard in the last month. Seriously, I have a character running right now who will now be doing something virtually identical to this, and I suspect that another of our characters will do the same once I introduce the concept. We can put together a whole squad of necromantically-assisted power-suited characters! Consider this idea stolen, with my thanks!