New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Am I being a douch?

Okay I am playing in a campain (pathfinder) in which I am playing a fighter with quite a few feats. My lowest damage would be 17 points per round (a huge greatsword with a feat that allowed me to double my str mod when wielding said sword with both hands)

Normally in battle I would cleave at least 1 enemy and so on but this one player started to get angry with me and calling me a powerplayer/munchkin and so on.

I will admit that I have always found munchkins awesome since they find one thing that they get extremely good at. And for my case it is battle.

So my question is: Am I ruining the entire campain by playing such a character even if I play him as a loner that only getsin battle by himself? Or should I just stop being a sexy shoeless god of war and just pick.. well I dont know what I should pick as a fighter if I shouldnt take feats that improved my combat abilities

What do all of you say? Previous experiences with 1 character that dealt extreme damage per round? (And basially couldnt do anything else since his or her skillpints were in the negatives)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Am I being a douch?

Well, what level are you?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-dude View Post
    Okay I am playing in a campain (pathfinder) in which I am playing a fighter with quite a few feats. My lowest damage would be 17 points per round (a huge greatsword with a feat that allowed me to double my str mod when wielding said sword with both hands)

Normally in battle I would cleave at least 1 enemy and so on but this one player started to get angry with me and calling me a powerplayer/munchkin and so on.
    Huge greatsword?
    Are you sure you aren't cheating?
    Unless you are enlarged, there should be no way for you to weild a huge greatsword.

Monkey grip + powerful build do not stack (in case that was your combo).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

This character hardly sounds overpowered, but this sounds like something you need to work out with your group.

If you're interfering with other people's fun, then yes, you're being a douche.

If you just rubbed one guy the wrong way on a bad day, you probably shouldn't worry about it.

Listen to the people involved. They're the ones who might know what's going on.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-04-24 at 01:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NO
    you are not
    you can't do anything but fight, prolly
    if your dm only uses battles as challenges thats what causes the problem.
    In which case you should not have been the only god of war anyways.
    so..no
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'm guessing he's around level 6.

More importantly: what is your fighter's AC and Hp? If you can't take hits for the other players you've little business mainlining fighter. This is especially true in Pathfinder, where characters get 1 feat every odd level and other classes (notably Rogue) can pick up bonus feats galore (every even level for the Rogue).

Tell the whiner to pick up the slack. Unless he's playing a monk or bard, he should be capable of matching you almost stride for stride power wise. Fighters, even in Pathfinder, are not overpowered (or rather, everyone in Pathfinder is overpowered!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

17 points of damage isn't much.

Orc Fighter 1
    Power Attack
    22 STR
    Greatsword

Swings for 2d6+9 (average 14) without PA, 16 average with PA. And it still gets another feat. Lowest would be 11 (13 with PA), only 4 points under your lowest.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2010-04-24 at 01:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post

Orc Fighter 1
    Power Attack
    22 STR
    Greatsword

Swings for 2d6+9 (average 14) without PA, 16 average with PA. And it still gets another feat.
    2d6+9 (Average 14) with normal greatsword. Upgrade (?) to large greatsword, gives 3d6+9, average 17 (with penalty to hit). That sounds about like where OP is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post

Orc Fighter 1
    Power Attack
    22 STR
    Greatsword

Swings for 2d6+9 (average 14) without PA, 16 average with PA. And it still gets another feat. Lowest would be 11 (13 with PA), only 4 points under your lowest.
    17 damage is a lot when it's your lowest damage, as the OP said.

EDIT :
    That's 2d6+15
    Hence, the OP has a Str modifier of +10, which is multiplied by 1,5 as he fight with a two-handed weapon.
    Last edited by Johel; 2010-04-24 at 01:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Not really, actually, not past 3rd level or so.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-04-24 at 01:49 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

11. - Top - End - #11

A 4 point gap can be easily closed with Leap Attack and wealth from levels, assuming that the OP isn't level 1.

If the OP is level 1, then his attacks aren't killing the enemy any more dead than this Orc Fighter's are, so there's still no problem.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Unless you are enlarged, there should be no way for you to weild a huge greatsword.

Monkey grip + powerful build do not stack (in case that was your combo).
    He could just be playing a Large character, like a half-ogre or a Maug.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oh. You're right.

So Level 4 Fighter Str 20
    Greatsword +1
    Feats: PA, Monkey Grip,

3d6+1(wpn) + 7 (Str) +6 (Power attack, PF rules) = min 17. Something like that?

14. - Top - End - #14

Well, he gets double STR mod. So... 20 strength makes 10, a huge greatsword is how much, around 4d6? Then he makes the sword +1 and gets weapon spec.

Really though: dealing a lot of damage is rarely a problem. From mid levels on, fighters don't win combat by dealing a lot of damage if the DM doesn't tailor combat that way. From level 8 or so on, other defenses come into play, and the goal is reaching the enemy in the first place.

What could make you a douche is, as you said, walking off all the time and doing solo combat. If you do it too often, it means that the others get to watch you fight enemies while waiting for the DM to shift the action back to them. And waiting just isn't that much fun in DnD.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15

Additionally, remember that you're eating penalties for that oversized weapon and Power Attack. A character with a better to-hit and less damage could still end up doing more than you.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I am frightened that your lowest damage per round is not 0. What kind of rules-witchcraft do you have to pull to be guaranteed to deal at least 17 damage every round as a fighter?
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-04-24 at 02:00 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Did anybody consider OP was using figure of speech when he said huge and not the literal size of the weapon?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Minimum 17 Damage? I once had a barbarian at 9th level who could deal over 100 damage purely using core and PF feats and abilities.

Greatsword (Average 7)
    Strength 20 (7 Damage with Two-Handed Weapon)
    Rage (+3 Damage due to increased strength)
    +2 Enhancement I believe it was? (+2 Damage)
    Bulls Strength (+3 Damage)

So far that’s two greatsword attacks dealing an average of 22 each, so that’s 44 damage.

TWF with unarmed strike (with amulet of mighty fists that we found), which should grant an average of 10 Damage.

Can’t remember this rage power’s name (This was PF), but it granted a natural bite attack as well, so that would also deal an average of 11.5
    Throw in the PF Power Attack and thats...+18 for the two greatsword attacks and +6 for the unarmed strike and natural bite.

So we’re looking at 44 + 10 + 11.5 + 18 + 6

That equals an average of 80.5

A critical hit (which wouldn’t be out the ordinary due to improved critical and well...it’s 4 attacks) or even just a lucky roll with the greatsword and it breaks the 100 damage at level 9. That’s not even close to optimisation compared to some of the things you see around here. In fact, given that the character was a half-orc barbarian, using a big weapon and feats like Power Attack are par for the course.

If they’re calling 17 damage minimum “Gamebreaking” then it sounds like they don’t have too strong a grasp on the game. 17 Damage isn’t unusual at low levels for a damage focused character, even less so once you hit 6th level and start getting iterative attacks.

My advice? Let them have what they want. Just hold back on your character for a few games (for instance, don’t power attack unless you’re in a kill or be killed situation). When they struggle to cope with CR appropriate challenges they might get a better perspective.

Admittidly, if you are going off on your own, that may be part of the problem. Even if you character isn't that powerful, fighting solo fights may unintentionally exaggerate your character's strength.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    I am frightened that your lowest damage per round is not 0. What kind of rules-witchcraft do you have to pull to be guaranteed to deal at least 17 damage every round as a fighter?
    Thanks, thanks a whole friggin lot.
    You just broke my sarcasmometer.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    A sarcasmometer? Oh thats a really useful invention there...

*sarcasmometer explodes*

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    If you hit, you always deal at least 1 damage point.
    If your Str modifier is positive, you'll deal more, as it is a net "+"
    If your weapon rolls more than 1 dice, you'll deal more, as lowest result on 1 dice is "1" and on 2 dices is "2"

The garanteed here is conditionnal to "if the blow hits" but yeah, even a first level fighter with 10 in Str would deal at least 2 damage points with a greatsword...if he hits.

(stuff)...9th level...(stop reading)
    Using rage, AVERAGE damage figure, a buff spell, two weapons... is hardly giving you your LOWEST damage capability, which was what the OP said.

Also, we don't know the OP's level but I assume he's low-level, as nobody will whine against him if he's a 9th level fighter.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    Thanks, thanks a whole friggin lot.
    Sounds like its working just fine.

----------

@OP, 17 damage minimum on a single hit isn't over the top, past like level 2. Seriously, I've heard said in more than one place that expected damage in 3.5 for a damage oriented character 6*ECL. If you're L4 or higher, you're actually doing *less* than you should be doing.

For example, this is what a more power-gaming charge would look like at ECL 5:

Raging Charging Pounce:
    Full attack: Claw +12 melee (1d4+6) and 3 Claws +10 melee (1d4+3) and Bite +9 melee (1d6+2) and Tail +9 melee (1d6+2) and Tail +9 melee (1d8+2)

Average damage if they all hit: 42.5

I can post the build if you like, its not even that original.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

23. - Top - End - #23

Using rage, AVERAGE damage figure, a buff spell, two weapons... is hardly giving you your LOWEST damage capability, which was what the OP said.

Also, we don't know the OP's level but I assume he's low-level, as nobody will whine against him if he's a 9th level fighter.
    Try reading the rest of my post then. The point wasn't to say "this is achievable at 9th level", it was to emphasis my point - that it sounded to me that the other players in the group seemed to think 17 damage minimum was alot, even though it isn't really.

Also, the OP isn't really going for "lowest damage capacity", he admits to havinga Huge Greatsword, a weapon dealing 3D6 Damage, an ability allowing him to add double his strength modifier instead of 1.5 (which would actually overtake the Rage of a barbarian easily since, as shown above, my barbarian only gained +3 damage from rage. This particular feat only requires the character to have a strength score of 22 or higher, which shouldn't be hard to gain if he/she is big enough to be wielding a huge weapon), and lastly, he is using the PF version of cleave, which, as a standard action, grants two attacks.

So if we look at that, 3D6 which averages out to 11.5, then add strength. Even if he gets the cleave off he's already doing more than 17 damage.

It should be noted as well that my post wasn't just my experience with such a character, I also told the player what I felt was the best way to handle the other players calling him a munchkin.

Also, the OP actually asked in his Origonal Post for posters to share experiences with similer characters. I did.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Lots of damage is pretty much all a Fighter does, so he'd better be good at it. And really, 17+ damage? That's perfectly reasonable, even for low level. It sounds like this guy is:
    A) A "real roleplayers play one-legged Commoners" type.
    B) Also playing a melee-type and not as good at it.

If the answer is A, just ignore him and hope the DM isn't taken in. If it's B, then with some help in differentiating and making his character effective, the problem may be solved. Whether he's willing to take advice from a "munckin" is another question.

25. - Top - End - #25

RangerGuy

a fighter specialized in fighting? my word, what is this world coming to?
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

26. - Top - End - #26

Default Re: Am I being a douche?

No, OP. You're not. Anyone that says you are is probably unfamiliar with D&D past 5th level or so. Yes, your character will be quite powerful during the first few levels, but he should be. That's what fighters are supposed to do. Your average rogue is going to do about half your damage when he gets flanking (which your character should be providing), but he's got a lot of out-of-combat usefulness. A fighter doesn't. A fighter fights. Do everything you can to keep his damage high so you can at least contribute some of the time at higher levels.

I believe douche has an E in it.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    a fighter specialized in fighting? my word, what is this world coming to?
    Yeah I assumed everyone built their fighters to be the arcanist, I know I did. I'm kicking some major ass too with this wand of magic missile, thankfully stupid party plays by RAI though, why did the developers forget to leave UMD out of the fighter class skills anyways?

28. - Top - End - #28

Daemon

This is the third time I've posted about this today, but I just started a 3.5 campaign at level 7 and saw the players eat my encounters. Part of this was following the rules for CR, but the barbarian tearing the bearded devil (CR 5) in half with one hit (from spiked armour) didn't help. So no, your power isn't really that high.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Also compare that to just your basic 3rd level ubercharger on horseback.

Fighter 3 of any race that's not -STR

Feats: Ride-by attack, Mounted Combat, Spirited Charge.

Stats:
    STR 16 (rest are whatever)

Weapon: +1 hvy lance

Damage: 3d8+12

That's a minimum of 15 damage on a hit without anything like Power Attack or even a particularly high strength. *shrugs* Your character isn't super special awesome with those benchmarks

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Negative skill points? You should have a minimum of 4 plus 1 for every level after 1st, unless PF changed this.

In regard to your whether you're being a douche: if you're fighting solo battles outside the presence of the party, then you probably are. If you're just soloing a beastie during combats when the rest of the party is present, then no. There is reason this is a cooperative game.

I had a player (fighter) in one of my games use a large 2-handed sword with MG and almost always enlarged. Yes he was doling out excellent damage, but nothing near broken. The Mystic Theurge in the group was still superior in most ways. The Dwarven sword and board tank didn't mind that the other fighter was doing more damage, as the dwarf was much harder to hit and could stand in combat longer. Everyone thought both builds were fine and pretty much balanced out. YMMV
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2010-04-24 at 03:44 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall