New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Touch spells on allies

I remember it being 6 touch attacks.
    But when checking up on it on page 175 of plaha 3.5 it says as many as you can reach as part of the casting.

where did I get that 6 from? any idea?
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Touch spells on allies

Warweaver is a Heroes of Battle PrC that allows you to apply a single spell to several allies, up to your INT bonus. That could be six allies (ten in the case of my current Warweaver). There are some fundamental limitations to the class, the most important being that you lose a caster level and that you can't put higher than 5th level spells into the tapestry that connects your group.
    If you're playing Core and using a spell that allows multiple targets but requires touching (such as Teleport), then your group must be in the squares surrounding you, totalling eight.
    Last edited by nargbop; 2010-04-25 at 08:39 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    I remember it being 6 touch attacks.
    But when checking up on it on page 175 of plaha 3.5 it says as many as you can reach as part of the casting.

where did I get that 6 from? any idea?
    PHB 141, under Touch Spells in Combat:

Holding the Charge: If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

From the Combat chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Actions In Combat
    Holding the Charge
    If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.
    EDIT: Ninja'd!
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-04-25 at 11:00 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I'm not sure that works. It says you can touch up to six friends as a full-round action. That's great if you've got a spell that specifically allows multiple targets, like Teleport. If you've got a spell that affects only one target, however, then you discharge the spell on the first target and give a massage to the remaining five.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I'm not sure that works. It says you can touch up to six friends as a full-round action. That's great if you've got a spell that specifically allows multiple targets, like Teleport. If you've got a spell that affects only one target, however, then you discharge the spell on the first target and give a massage to the remaining five.
    If by "not sure that works" you mean "that doesn't let you add multiple targets to a single-target touch spell," you're right, and the text doesn't imply you can. It's for spells like chill touch that allow multiple touches but don't have a "all targets must be in contact"-type clause.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    If by "not sure that works" you mean "that doesn't let you add multiple targets to a single-target touch spell," you're right, and the text doesn't imply you can. It's for spells like chill touch that allow multiple touches but don't have a "all targets must be in contact"-type clause.
    *nods* Yes, it was spells like chill touch that I was thinking of.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!