New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Maximizing one's undead cap

How is it done? Can it be done as a cloistered cleric rather than a Dread/True Necromancer?

Also, does Deathbound increase total undead cap or just the per-spell cap?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Maximizing one's undead cap

The DN's Undead Mastery feature effectively makes it impossible for anyone to come close to the same HD cap of controlled undead.

I'd have to scour through my books to double check on Deathbound's interaction with spells - what spells specifically it affects, and all. I can't guarantee I'll be able to do so any time soon, though.

If I remember right, though, I had a lot of fun putting together a BBEG who was a DN with the Deathbound Domain accessed through the feat that gives Arcane Casters domain access.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    How is it done? Can it be done as a cloistered cleric rather than a Dread/True Necromancer?

Also, does Deathbound increase total undead cap or just the per-spell cap?
    All deathbound does is allow you to create more undead in a single casting.
    The normal control limit is 4HD per caster level, the creation limit in one casting of animate dead is 2HD per caster level. So normally it would take two castings of animate dead to reach your control limit.

The simplest way to control more undead is with a rod of undead mastery,
    Anyone who holds the rod can control more undead. Instead of 4HD/level it would be 8HD/level. The one draw back is it says anyone who holds it, which means simply possessing the rod is not enough.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There is something similar here. A 20th Dread Necromancer can directly control more than 1600 HD of undead which is awesomely awesome undead army.
    I am willing and able to evaluate and critique homebrew material. PM me a link if you want an evaluation or a critique. If this applies to you too, put this in your sig.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

My epic-level DN had several thousand HD of undead controlled. Rather than deal with all of them while adventuring, I built a stronghold and left most of them to guard it while taking the best two or three of them along with me. It's hard to get anywhere near that with another class.