New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Jack of All Trades?

I seem to recall there being a feat which allowed you to treat all skills you had no ranks in as if they were cross-class skills that you did have ranks in.

(IE: If I never put any ranks into Swim, and I'm a 10th level character, then I have the same number of ranks as a character who did not have Swim as a class skill and put as many ranks into it as they could)
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Jack of All Trades?

It sounds kind of like you are combining a few feats in your head.

There is Jack of All Trades which just lets you use all skills untrained regardless of ranks.

Then there is Able Learner which is human only and lets you buy cross class skills at the non-cross class rate (1 for 1)

There is also the Bardic Knack alternate class feature that replaces Bardic Knowledge and lets you use 1/2 your level instead of ranks in skills you're trained in. This combines well with Jack of All Trades.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's in Complete Adventurer (I think). Essentially, it means you are capable of doing things that cannot be done untrained. For example, you could use Open Lock (Only with your Dexterity Bonus+1d20) without putting ranks into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #4

Kobold

Hmm. I am somewhat disturbed by this. I shall have to re-question my friend who has been using this feat for three campaigns
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    It sounds kind of like you are combining a few feats in your head.

There is Jack of All Trades which just lets you use all skills untrained regardless of ranks.

Then there is Able Learner which is human only and lets you buy cross class skills at the non-cross class rate (1 for 1)

There is also the Bardic Knack alternate class feature that replaces Bardic Knowledge and lets you use 1/2 your level instead of ranks in skills you're trained in. This combines well with Jack of All Trades.
    Which leads many "skillmonkey" builds into Human Bard, which is almost a trap

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ~LuckyBoneDice~ View Post
    Which leads many "skillmonkey" builds into Human Bard, which is almost a trap
    Why is it a trap?
    I'm playing a Bard in my weekly group now (Gnome, albeit).

I have tons of skill points to work with (14 INT). Those skills that can be really useful sometimes but useless most of the time (eg, Balance, Decipher Script, Forgery, Sleight of Hand, Use Rope,) I don't need to put ranks in. I still have have effectively 5 ranks in all of them. With all my actual skills ranks going to what Bards care about most.

Also, I am able to make EVERY knowledge check decently.
    I've even saved the group with Profession Sailor checks a few times.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Before someone posts that Jack of All Trades doesn't work with Bardic Knack by RAW (BK requires at least 1 full rank in trained-only skills to use them), I'd just like to point out that Jack of All Trades does nothing by RAW (half a rank in a trained-only skill doesn't allow a character to use that skill).

Interpretation on how JoAT's intended function combines with BK is going to vary wildly by DM.

That said, Bards with the Improvisation spell from SpC and JoAT/BK are some of my favorite do-anything characters.

Also, Harmonizing Crystal Echoblades + Melodic Casting makes straight-classed Bard a pretty nifty gish, even if it misses out on Warblade maneuvers or Sorcerer spells or whatever. Definitely better than most classes.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-04-26 at 02:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doodleface View Post
    Why is it a trap?
    Because Factotum is the better skill monkey.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by gorfnab View Post
    Because Factotum is the better skill monkey.
    Yeah, and wizard, druid or cleric do everything better than everyone else. So everybody who plays not one of this classes is an idiot. I call this the Only Gandalf fallacy.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Also, Harmonizing Crystal Echoblades + Melodic Casting makes straight-classed Bard a pretty nifty gish, even if it misses out on Warblade maneuvers or Sorcerer spells or whatever. Definitely better than most classes.
    Misses out on Warblade maneuvers? Why? There's still feats and items to give you maneuvers!

I have a favorite Bard build that buys a Crown of the White Raven (3k gp), learns some worthless maneuver with it, takes the Martial Stance (Leading the Charge) feat, then uses the stance as the prerequisite to change the Crown's maneuver to White Raven Tactics. Not a bad payoff for 3000gp and a feat, at least if there are any charge-happy characters in your party.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

*Ahem* I doubt you can get much clearer than that.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    *Ahem* I doubt you can get much clearer than that.
    The 3.5 version isn't so straightforward:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    trained: Having at least 1 rank in a skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of All Trades, 3.5
    Benefit: You can use any skill as if you had 1/2 rank in that skill.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-04-26 at 04:36 PM.