New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Jack Chick Fanfic

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Jack Chick Fanfic

I want to see Chickniverse as a campaign setting. Homebrewers, your challenge is here!

[Edit]: Why, of course I write a reply before reading the link! Anyway, that's pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-04-26 at 04:06 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Jack Chick should ask that guy (girl?) to write for him. It's so much better than the original.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Jack Chick should ask that guy (girl?) to write for him. It's so much better than the original.
    Well, to be honest, a monkey with a typewriter could compete with ol' JC pretty evenly.

Also, I don't think I'd want to live in a world where someone like Chick has such writing skills.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's so awesome and yet so very awful at the same time.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

6. - Top - End - #6
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm going to let this go for now because there's nothing inherently religious about it or the discussion, but it's probably going to end up locked because Chick's work is a religious tract.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-04-26 at 07:23 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

That's why we are on the safer femslash fic discussion
    Last edited by Arakune; 2010-04-26 at 07:56 PM.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

8. - Top - End - #8

I just read the About page. The guy who wrote that works for White Wolf and designs games. Now it's a whole new level of hilarious.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

That is, in fact, pretty good. I'm shocked and impressed.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was pretty good. I really liked the characterization. Thanks for that.

On a related note, I'd never even heard about Jack Chick before now. Although, I must say, I don't feel compelled to read more of his comics. Not that I have anything against preachieness, but his particular brand of preachienss just rubs me the wrong way.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

lol
    read the comic-link. It's so horrible I had to close-tab fast. But the 50's mentality with the "real spells, evil dm thing" is hilarious.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

That is certainly an impressive feat, having a 50s mentality about Dungeons and Dragons. I mean i didn't know they were prescient back then and ready to be frightened by a game that wasn't published until 1974.

13. - Top - End - #13

This version is quite more emotionally charged than the original one, not to mention much more sensible, realistic, well-written and deepened, but at least it ends slightly better for Debbie. Can I say that without it being considered "about religion" ?
    Last edited by Murdim; 2010-04-27 at 02:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Goblin

I've been playing Mage the Awakening for a year now, and I still wanna know when I'm getting taught real space magic. It's the only reason I'm playing

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem View Post
    I've been playing Mage the Awakening for a year now, and I still wanna know when I'm getting taught real space magic. It's the only reason I'm playing
    No way, it's all about the Entropy Fate/Death. (Dammit, nWoD)

I liked that the fanfic really stayed with the basic plot rather than taking it off in a different direction. I also like that it left a few things ambiguous.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

16. - Top - End - #16
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    No way, it's all about the Entropy Fate/Death. (Dammit, nWoD)
    Are you down with entropy?

The lyrics are a touch NSFW (two f-bombs).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    I just read the About page. The guy who wrote that works for White Wolf and designs games. Now it's a whole new level of hilarious.
    Wait; is he the same guy that wrote the faux-tract marketing Demon: the Fallen? Or is he just another WW guy who seemingly has a thing for Chick parodies?

...Albeit, this isn't a parody. It's well-written; there's a better grasp of D&D than on the original tract, and it shows the GM as someone who's a bit sadistic. I mean, that kind of railroading is really, really terrible!

...So maybe it *is* a parody to bad GMs, even if only a bit. In any case, it is nice how the writer keeps to the spirit of the story, but perhaps he could have done something a tad different. Maybe it's because of how many times I've played (and the few ones I've DMed), but I don't think that would be a typical gamer's reaction, supporting the DM with that harsh comment of "things happen, deal with it". Maybe the GM was a...you might already know, but that attitude was a bit unrealistic (though, sadly, close to the original interpretation of the character).
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    ...Albeit, this isn't a parody. It's well-written; there's a better grasp of D&D than on the original tract, and it shows the GM as someone who's a bit sadistic. I mean, that kind of railroading is really, really terrible!
    Ms. Frost/Gina isn't sadistic, just jealous. She has a crush on Debbie and tries to move her best friend Marcie away from her, so that she can get more intimate (not intimate that way, well, not at first at least) with her. Really, it makes so much more sense than Chick's version.
    Last edited by Murdim; 2010-04-27 at 03:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Are you down with entropy?

The lyrics are a touch NSFW (two f-bombs).
    Oh yeah, that song is awesome.

So I think that the DM in the story was reacting to the fact that Marcie seemed to be trying to get Gina to allow her to disarm the trap without having seen it.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

I'm sorry, you cannot do Jack Chick parodies (or slashfic, or whatever) without cartoons. That's just...wrong. It's like saying you're going to perform a Miles Davis song and then just reading the sheet music out loud.
    Last edited by JonestheSpy; 2010-04-27 at 04:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Thanks for all the kind words!

Wait; is he the same guy that wrote the faux-tract marketing Demon: the Fallen? Or is he just another WW guy who seemingly has a thing for Chick parodies?
    I had nothing to do with the one for Demon (which is framed in the office), but the ones in the Daeva clanbook were commissioned by me. (They were written by Ben Baugh and drawn by Kenneth Max Brooks.)

...So maybe it *is* a parody to bad GMs, even if only a bit. In any case, it is nice how the writer keeps to the spirit of the story, but perhaps he could have done something a tad different. Maybe it's because of how many times I've played (and the few ones I've DMed), but I don't think that would be a typical gamer's reaction, supporting the DM with that harsh comment of "things happen, deal with it". Maybe the GM was a...you might already know, but that attitude was a bit unrealistic (though, sadly, close to the original interpretation of the character).
    This isn't a parody. It's a love story, and a completely straight-faced one. And these aren't typical gamers, they're just themselves.

Basically, I looked at Chick's characters, and I asked "what would make a real person behave that way?" And the answer, here, is that there's a love triangle going on.

Marcie has a deep, if probably non-romantic, love for Debbie. She's always been in Debbie's shadow, because she wants Debbie to pay her attention.

Debbie wants to find her own place in the world. Her relationship with her father is toxic, and being successful and the center of things makes her feel independent and powerful. She's attracted to Gina.

Gina wants Debbie romantically, and goes a tad soft on her. She's also got a very domineering attitude towards DMing, and promotes a strong "you are not your character" vibe at the table. To her, losing a character means you weren't playing well enough. (Never mind that "playing well" seems to mean reading Debbie's mind.)

Gina probably matures a lot when she gets to college and plays in other people's games. Still in the hobby in '91, she drinks the White Wolf philosophy in wholesale, before drifting out completely sometime during the heyday of the urban LARP... say, '94, maybe.

These are early, if not original gamers -- their exposure to D&D materials includes Holmes, Moldvay, Gygax and Hargrave. The DM is an authority not to be contravened, and they've been given "save or die" tournament dungeons as a model to play the game.

Yet, and this is important... they're friends. Mike may be creepy, Gina may be manipulative, Debbie self-absorbed, and Marcie terminally depressed, but they're friends, and this is what they do together <i>as</i> friends.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

That was awesome.

Incidentally, I'm going to be starting a Demon: The Fallen game sometime soon, does anyone know where I can find the faux Chick Tract for that?
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

But... Elfstar! Did she ever get resurrected!?

I want to see Chickfic where they run through Tomb of Horrors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    That was awesome.

Incidentally, I'm going to be starting a Demon: The Fallen game sometime soon, does anyone know where I can find the faux Chick Tract for that?
    E-mail me at russell THATLITTLEATSIGN white-wolf.com. I'll see what I can do. :)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    That was awesome.

Alternatively, you can google for it. There's an unofficial Wiki for White Wolf products that has a mirror page of the original, complete with a PDF copy of the page.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The fact that this was produced by taking Jack Chick seriously makes the end result even more impressive...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

White Wolf, you may be crazy and in need of more vigorous editors, but don't you ever stop being awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show