Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default White mage? (3.5)

So, I was thinking about different characters it would be interesting to make, and the idea of a 'white mage' occurred to me. Virtually no lethally offensive magic, but healing and defensive magic, along with some non-lethal deterrent and debuffing spells. Doing things like making the enemy's sword too heavy to wield, making the enemy fall into uncontrollable laughter, strengthening yourself and your allies...

So, I'd like to know how you would build something like this. Using 3.5 rules, what would you do to make this? What class? What spells would you use?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: White mage? (3.5)

Cleric to Apostle of Peace (BoED). Maybe with some Radiant Servant of Pelor thrown in there.

Honestly, you can probably do it with just a regular Cleric, and choose only defensive spells. Bard could work too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    So, I was thinking about different characters it would be interesting to make, and the idea of a 'white mage' occurred to me. Virtually no lethally offensive magic, but healing and defensive magic, along with some non-lethal deterrent and debuffing spells. Doing things like making the enemy's sword too heavy to wield, making the enemy fall into uncontrollable laughter, strengthening yourself and your allies...

So, I'd like to know how you would build something like this. Using 3.5 rules, what would you do to make this? What class? What spells would you use?
    Other than the obvious Healer class? Probably cloistered cleric->RSoP and a few other normal cleric PrCs.
    BEEP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Other than the obvious Healer class? Probably cloistered cleric->RSoP and a few other normal cleric PrCs.
    2nded. Cloistered Cleric is a white mage. Combat Medic (HoB), RSoP (CD), and many others will help, but overall, a straight up Cloistered Cleric would be a white mage.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

Follow me on Facebook!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Healer or Cloistered Cleric are probably best, although Healer is rather limited.

If there is a way to get the Healing subschool spells added to a Wizard's list, a wizard who doesn't use offensive magic would work mechanically. You can fluff it as that his training did not cover those types of spells.
    I think a wizard would give you the versatility for spells like 'Weight' or 'Touch of Joy' more than cleric, although I might be wrong, and his lack of weapon or armor proficiencies is in line with a white mage. Of course, you could just as easily refluff a cleric as not having those, saying he wasn't trained.
    An archivist could work similarly.

I imagine Book of Exalted Deeds would have a number of useful spells.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You could do this with Bard

7. - Top - End - #7

For a purist white mage, here's my combo:

Healer/Apostle of Peace/Combat Medic

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

How about archivest? That could make a decent white mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic