New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Complete adveturer multiclass feats

I was wondering what the playground thought about the feats that bring 2 classes together by letting their class levels stack for certain class features...

An example would be the...
    Daring outlaw feat for Swashbucklers and Rogues.
    Acetic Mage feat for Sorcerers and Monks.
    Acetic Knight feat for Paladin and Monk...
    The list goes on...

Which ones are real winners (IE: GOOD) and which ones are real losers (IE: BAD)...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Complete adveturer multiclass feats

I have a very fun character who uses the Acetic Rogue feat in an RP/investigation heavy campaign.
    Rogue1/Monk1/Rogue the rest of the way. He can walk around (Seemingly) unarmed, his fists count as light weapons for weapon finesse, but they hit harder than any light weapon in the book. He can clock somebody with a stunning fist sneak attack (or, as I did once, a stunning knee to the groin sneak attack).
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-04-29 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3

I know they are from Complete Scoundrel, but Ascetic Stalker (ninja/monk) and Master Spellthief (Spellthief/Arcane caster) are worth mentioning
    Last edited by ~LuckyBoneDice~; 2010-04-29 at 01:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

sorcerer+monk build + 3lvls in enlightned fist + swiftblade = WIN

darning outlaw is a very good choise to for spellcasting rouge prestige classes like assasin
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Two more from CS that are awesome are Swift Hunter and Swift Ambusher, which lets Ranger and Rogue, respectively, count as Scout levels for Skirmish. Both are way better than sticking with Scout, IMO. That would make them poorly designed feats, but they're more like patches to a poorly designed class.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-04-29 at 01:45 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by pilvento View Post
    sorcerer+monk build + 3lvls in enlightned fist + swiftblade = WIN

darning outlaw is a very good choice to for spellcasting rouge prestige classes like assassin
    I think for one, Sorcerer/Monks are underpowered (even with ascetic mage) because there's no PrC that encompasses that really...

Daring Outlaw makes deadly Scarlet Corsairs, Dread Pirates, and Legendary Captains

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Two more from CS that are awesome are Swift Hunter and Swift Ambusher, which lets Ranger and Rogue, respectively, count as Scout levels for Skirmish. Both are way better than sticking with Scout, IMO. That would make them poorly designed feats, but they're more like patches to a poorly designed class.
    Much like Psitheif and Master Spellthief. Fixes for a crappy class (spellthief was average at best, and don't get me started on scout...)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

None of them are particularly good. In each case, you're delaying or denying yourself the high level abilities of each class. For example, a Swift Hunter (one of the more popular and potent feats) typically nerfs the Ranger's casting and Animal Companion, and delays Evasion, Camouflage, Hide in Plain Site. I'm sure there are some good counter examples for specific builds at specific ECLs, but for the most part I avoid them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Master Spellthief is the best one in the bunch, though it's not in CAdv.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-04-29 at 02:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    None of them are particularly good. In each case, you're delaying or denying yourself the high level abilities of each class. For example, a Swift Hunter (one of the more popular and potent feats) typically nerfs the Ranger's casting and Animal Companion, and delays Evasion, Camouflage, Hide in Plain Site. I'm sure there are some good counter examples for specific builds at specific ECLs, but for the most part I avoid them.
    To expand on Person_Man's post, they are best-suited for situations where a) you don't expect to see high-level play where the base classes in question get their most potent abilities or b) you have a prestige class in mind that would require multi-classing anyway, and will provide its own level-appropriate high-level abilities.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

In a L20 build, Ascetic Mage is a great feat. Totally worth the caster level for that +10 or greater AC in light armor that dipping unarmed swordsage 1 gets you. In a gestalt Sorcerer build, it seems like a given.

The problem is, its a lot harder to justify the dip in an actual game cause sorcerers are already half a spell level behind as they are. And qualifying without the dip isn't pleasant, due to IUS being a wasted feat on most sorcerers.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    In a L20 build, Ascetic Mage is a great feat. Totally worth the caster level for that +10 or greater AC in light armor that dipping unarmed swordsage 1 gets you. In a gestalt Sorcerer build, it seems like a given.
    Swordsage doesn't get the AC bonus until level 2.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Swordsage doesn't get the AC bonus until level 2.
    Why do I always forget this? I'd still take a 2-level dip to get it, though.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):