New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Applying a template via magical item? Perhaps Cursed? Pathfinder-based

I like the idea of applying templates to critters (or PCs) via magical items, perhaps cursed ones. I was wondering how you all might think about creating and pricing this kind of item.

My first magic item idea is to use Simulacrum as the base spell in the magic item. It lets you apply a template, and I choose the 1 per day pricing condition. That lets the user of the item assume that template for 13 rounds per day.

My second idea uses Bestow Greater Curse as the base spell in the magic item. More expensive, Remove Curse would still allow him to be rid of the item even though he would still retain the template.

So, any other ideas on how one might fairly create a magical item to apply a template temporarily or permanently? Feedback?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Applying a template via magical item? Perhaps Cursed? Pathfinder-based

For pricing, start by looking at the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis in Tome of Magic. It allows a character to gain the Dark Template (a +1 template) for 10 mins per day and is priced at 10,800 (the continuous version is 22k). It's actually underpriced for what you're getting imo, but it's an existing item to work with.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Applying a template via magical item? Perhaps Cursed? Pathfinder-based

For Pathfinder?

It's a Continuous item of the appropriate X-Shape spell, with a limitation that it's only doing one specific form. So an item that turned the wearer into a Medium Red Dragon would be based on Form of the Dragon I (and you could use the breath weapon... maybe 1/day, or once every 11 minutes?) and would give the user "a +4 size bonus to Strength, a +2 size bonus to Constitution, a +4 natural armor bonus, fly 60 feet (poor), darkvision 60 feet, a breath weapon, and resistance to one element. You also gain one bite (1d8), two claws (1d6), and two wing attacks (1d4)", "All breath weapons deal 6d8 points of damage and allow a Reflex save for half damage", and "30-foot cone of fire, resist fire 30, vulnerability to cold"

It's a 6th level spell, so Caster level 11. Minutes/level. Formula for a continuous item is thus:
    Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp * 2 (Minutes/level) / 2 (Red Dragon only) = 6 * 11 * 2,000 gp * 2 / 2 = 132,000 gp. A little refluffing also lets you have it grant a variation on the half-dragon template.

On the other hand, if it always turns someone into a human, it's instead based on Alter Self, with the same formula, just different numbers. Spell level 2 * caster level 3 * 2,000 gp continuous base * 2 for minutes/level /2 for specific form only = 12,000 gp, and it grants a land speed of 30 and a +2 Size bonus to strength.

If you're the DM, just grab the appropriate Form or Shape spell for what you want to apply, snatch the actual mechanics from there, price it out, and refluff as needed. A curse making it hard to remove is optional, and probably should not affect the market price much.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There is a magical location that grants a limited-duration per day template in one of the FR Tearing of the Weave adventures. The Broken Shadow Gate, it is called. I believe it is in Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. I'd look to that for some insight.