New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How come all robots dont have the Glowy bits showing their weak spots?

So i am looking for a way to Crit and do sneak attack damage to Constructs and have basicly no luck in finding anything to let me do that. Does any one know of any feats or PrC or well anything that would allow that ability?

Its always so much easier in the video games with their brightly coloured joints...
    The Bard's Song
    Carpe DM! (Seize the Dungeon Master!)
    "If you help their Verse you'll just make things Worse"
    Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    May not operate a travelling kitchen since not all wandering monsters taste like chicken, even if we do add garlic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: How come all robots dont have the Glowy bits showing their weak spots?

What game are we talking about? In D&D3.5e constructs don't have weak spots.
    They SHOULD, but they don't.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: How come all robots dont have the Glowy bits showing their weak spots?

not sure about critting, but there's a rogue variant that allows said rogue to deal partial sneak attack damage. don't remember the source though.

although, if this is specifically for constructs, you could pick up a greater demolition crystal (MIC). it's a weapon crystal that lets you crit and sneak attack constructs. now that I think about it, that sounds like exactly what you were looking for. there are others for undead and oozes and stuff, but yea.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-04-29 at 08:51 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

4. - Top - End - #4

Well for undeads there's the greater truedeath crystal... I heard about a feat that allowed half sneak attack damage versus undeads and constructs. Sorry can't think of anything off the top of my head.

EDIT: @^ Ah, forgot about that one.
    Last edited by Krazddndfreek; 2010-04-29 at 08:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah sry it is in 3.5 that I am looking into. I know there are a few ways to get the ability to crit and sneak attack vs undead and i think i even found one for oozes at one point... but yeah so far nothing for constructs...
    The Bard's Song
    May not operate a travelling kitchen since not all wandering monsters taste like chicken, even if we do add garlic.

6. - Top - End - #6

It's in the Magic Item Compendium. the one I'm sure about is a weapon crystal and yes, it is in 3.5. I'm more shaky about this, but I think there is a weapon ability that lets you sneak attack and crit constructs similarly to ghost strike (also from MIC).

EDIT: typed too quickly.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-04-29 at 08:55 PM.

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's always Golemstrike, a spell from the SpC. You could UMD that, although it's expensive both in gold and, more importantly, actions in combat.

I can confirm that there's a feat (or ACF?) somewhere that lets you SA for half damage on constructs, undead, oozes, elementals and plants, but I can't remember what it's called or where it's from, sadly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

While we're looking at magic items.
    Is there a disruption (insta-kill on undead) version for constructs? Because if there is, might want to look into that.
    If not, construct bane might help. Also, as far as I can tell, golems would probably be vulnerable to spells like web and grease.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    I can confirm that there's a feat (or ACF?) somewhere that lets you SA for half damage on constructs, undead, oozes, elementals and plants, but I can't remember what it's called or where it's from, sadly...
    I'm pretty sure it's a rogue ACF. maybe from dungeonscape (to venture a guess).

I have salty tastes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have found Razing Strike feat in the C.Adv which is kinda close to what i want but not close enough.....
    The Bard's Song

11. - Top - End - #11

check dungeonscape and MIC.

I have salty tastes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_Wing View Post
    I have found Razing Strike feat in the C.Adv which is kinda close to what i want but not close enough.....
    Greater demolition crystals don't work?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #13

Put five ranks in Craft: Construct and have a logical discussion with your DM?
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Greater demolition crystals does seem to work and if i cant find anything else that is what i will liky use though i was hopping on something that would allow the character to crit/sneak constructs and not just an item. you get disarmed your boned.....
    Last edited by Ravens_Wing; 2010-04-29 at 09:27 PM.
    The Bard's Song

15. - Top - End - #15

MonkGirl

Just looked it up... yes, a Greater Demolition Crystal: 1) Does an extra 1d6 of damage to Constructs, 2) Treats your weapon as Adamantine for the purpose of overcoming the DR of Constructs & 3) Allows Critical Hits & Sneak Attacks against Constructs.

TrueDeath Crystal does the same against Undead except instead of the Adamantine property it gives the Ghost Touch property.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a rogue ACF. maybe from dungeonscape (to venture a guess).
    It is, and it is. Although I can't remember what it is called. It allows 1/2 Sneak attack dice vs normally immune creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

17. - Top - End - #17

Greater demolition crystals does seem to work and if i cant find anything else that is what i will liky use though i was hopping on something that would allow the character to crit/sneak constructs and not just an item. you get disarmed your boned.....
    how often do you get disarmed? especially by constructs? and besides, gauntlet chains solve this problem quite nicely.

I have salty tastes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    It is, and it is. Although I can't remember what it is called. It allows 1/2 Sneak attack dice vs normally immune creatures.
    It's called Penetrating strike, replaces trap sense and allows you to do half SA damage to immune creatures.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

19. - Top - End - #19

RangerGuy

Golems are much different from Robots however; A golem is basically a big piece of some material that is somehow able to bend and move fluidly. Not much of a weakspot on an iron golem for example.

IMO, just split your Constructs into two types; Robot type ones that can be sneak attacked, like clockwork beings, and Golem type ones that don't have moving parts.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

20. - Top - End - #20

MonkGirl

Finally dug out my Dungeonscape...

It's a Rogue ACF called Penatrating Strike. It replaces Trap Sense at 3rd level. (and you never get Trap Sense afterward, so be careful...) Also, the wording is brutal...

Whenever you flank a creature that is immune to extra damage from sneak attacks, you still deal 1/2 your dice in sneak attack damage. Does not work if opponent is immune to flanking, nor against creatures that are otherwise denied their Dex or are flat-footed but not flanked.

Overall, I don't think it's worth it... especially when Weapon Crystals are available.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

The only downside to it replacing Trap Sense is that you can't get another ACF that also replaces Trap Sense. Trap Sense is useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    how often do you get disarmed? especially by constructs? and besides, gauntlet chains solve this problem quite nicely.
    Agreed.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    Golems are much different from Robots however; A golem is basically a big piece of some material that is somehow able to bend and move fluidly. Not much of a weakspot on an iron golem for example.

IMO, just split your Constructs into two types; Robot type ones that can be sneak attacked, like clockwork beings, and Golem type ones that don't have moving parts.
    Of course, even the Golem type ones have thinner parts, joint type deals, etc. A golem is formed to some extent, just a much less one, and should be susceptible to sneak attack. Now, an Earth Elemental is sketchy, though I would still probably allow it unless it took the form of a sphere.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #24

I second third fourth fifth the Greater Demolition Crystal.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Techsmith allows you to do that. And steal control of constructs. And gives you one for free. Faiths and Pantheons.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Know vulnerabilities actually does the whole glowing weakness thing
    Last edited by Escheton; 2010-04-30 at 04:25 PM.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok true its not often that one gets disarmed by a construct but the nice thing about sneak attack and the ability to crit is that it can be done with any weapon. it doesnt matter what your character is using at the time... I know thats nit picking but i was hoping for that kinda utility with out limiting it to a weapon. Actually i was hoping to posibly combine rogue with soccerer and sneak attack with spells. (with in 30 feat of course). I think thats allowed for normal sneak attack isnt it? using spells...

That techsmith Prc looks interesting I will have to give it a proper read when i get back to my books...
    The Bard's Song

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ok true its not often that one gets disarmed by a construct but the nice thing about sneak attack and the ability to crit is that it can be done with any weapon. it doesnt matter what your character is using at the time... I know thats nit picking but i was hoping for that kinda utility with out limiting it to a weapon. Actually i was hoping to posibly combine rogue with soccerer and sneak attack with spells. (with in 30 feat of course). I think thats allowed for normal sneak attack isnt it? using spells...

That techsmith Prc looks interesting I will have to give it a proper read when i get back to my books...
    Ah... weapon crystals can be switched from weapon to weapon. That part of the reason they rock.

29. - Top - End - #29

MonkGirl

Yes, you can sneak attack with spells... but only with spells that require a hit roll.

No sneak attacking with Fireball or Magic Missle, for example.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    Yes, you can sneak attack with spells... but only with spells that require a hit roll.

No sneak attacking with Fireball or Magic Missle, for example.
    Yeah thats what I thought.... besides you can only crit with spells that require a hit roll.
    The Bard's Song