New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default If there were 5 stats

Suppose you eliminated Wisdom entirely.
    Gave the "perception" gig (Spot/Listen) to Dexterity; folded the rest of it into Charisma (maybe calling it Psyche). All wisdom-based class powers would go to Charisma, except for the few that were perception-based.
    How much would this screw up game balance? Obviously it'd help Paladins a lot and provide a small benefit to rogues/scouts. Would it unbalance clerics much?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: If there were 5 stats

If Wisdom stuff was kinda equally distributed between Intelligence and Charisma (with more to Charisma, I guess) it could be fairly interesting.

I don't know how Dexterity should have anything to do with it.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

A few issues:

1. I don't understand the thematic link between Dexterity and Perception, other that that the perception stuff has to go somewhere.

2. Dexterity would become even more useful, as it is already the stat used for ranged attacks and defense. Rogues would love Dexterity even more when perception skills become part of dex, which makes Dex almost the sole attribute they need for anything the ever want to do. I think this would likely be very unbalancing.

I don't think it will unbalance clerics much.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yeah, you lost me with the Dexterity bit. I don't think it means what you think it means.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Sounds fun, but then what would I do without my precious dump stat?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    I don't know how Dexterity should have anything to do with it.
    Well, I see having good coordination and good senses as being related. I mean, I'd stereotype archers as having good eyes.
    Also, the scout/ranger/rogue types seem to all have light armor/high dex.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Clerics now need to pump Charisma. This only makes it so they have Turn undead uses.

Of note:
    Spirit Shaman and Favored Soul are now SAD classes
    Will saves, in general are a lot higher. (Incoporeal undead especially)

----
    In general though, there are a bunch of ways to get Charisma to most things Wisdom covers, so I don't think it'd be that big of a change.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe put the perception skills under Constitution? This is following the same logic that Concentration is there (in fact it's the only skill it affects, never noticed that), so maybe for skills it can represent ability to focus?

I know Con is a big stat for every class, but it might give a teeny boon to the skill deprived Melee types
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Maybe put the perception skills under Constitution? This is following the same logic that Concentration is there (in fact it's the only skill it affects, never noticed that), so maybe for skills it can represent ability to focus?

I know Con is a big stat for every class, but it might give a teeny boon to the skill deprived Melee types
    I agree. It makes sense that a healthy person would have better eyes/ears than a sickly old person.

Also, I think that Will saves would probably go to Charisma, due to the whole "force of personality" thing.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think dumping Charisma makes more sense than dumping Wisdom.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    I think dumping Charisma makes more sense than dumping Wisdom.

obnoxious
    sig
    Me too. Try giving everything it does to Wisdom--maybe even go to the logical conclusion and throw diplomacy checks and the like out of the system entirely.
    Last edited by Haven; 2010-05-02 at 11:42 AM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Me too. Try giving everything it does to Wisdom--maybe even go to the logical conclusion and throw diplomacy checks and the like out of the system entirely.
    you'll have to throw out charisma based classes (sorcerer, bard) as well as all the other charisma based skills like handle animal, bluff, intimidate and gather information.

13. - Top - End - #13

Those could easily be ported to wisdom, and "force of will" casters like sorcerers, could easily be ported to a mix of wisdom and constitution.
    This avatar brought to you by ThreeShades.

14. - Top - End - #14

If you're going to ditch Wisdom, I'd change it so that, instead of Intelligence, you have "Mental" or "Mind" or "Thought" and rolled all of Wisdom into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

At that point, you could just go with an entirely new system, of course. Like Unisystem or GURPS or Riddle of Steel.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGirl

I considered rolling up Wisdom and Charisma into one stat and calling it Guile, Aquity, or somesuch.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

feel like posting this since it is mildly related.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0218.html

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomeWizardGuy

The only stat I can see which you could reasonably drop would be merging Strength and Constitution.

Adding more STATS to a system is simple, but removing any from the current one (3.5 at least) is not evident at all.

Most people I know would agree that Wisdom and Intelligence is not the same thing and that it is quite possible to have one without the other. The same goes for Charisma.

Being resilient without strength is not that common though. And a tough character that is not too strong (say a turtle) could be explained via Damage reduction.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

so basically, you want to eliminate charisma (a useless dump stat), and rename wisdom into psyche... I am all for it.
    Charisma as written is plain dumb. Rolling it and wisdom into one stat sounds fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    Most people I know would agree that Wisdom and Intelligence is not the same thing and that it is quite possible to have one without the other. The same goes for Charisma.
    Excuse me, but how would people all agree that charisma is not wisdom?
    The best explanation of what charisma actually IS that I have ever heard is "it is your willpower and force of personality"... well guess what, will-power is a function of wisdom.

Everyone I talked to could explain exactly what strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, and wisdom are... charisma is the one that is completely undefinable in a way that separates it from the other stats or is somehow related to what it is supposed to do. So I ask you, what IS charisma in DnD?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-05-02 at 12:13 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

20. - Top - End - #20

The only stat I can see which you could reasonably drop would be merging Strength and Constitution.

Adding more STATS to a system is simple, but removing any from the current one (3.5 at least) is not evident at all.

Being resilient without strength is not that common though. And a tough character that is not too strong (say a turtle) could be explained via Damage reduction.
    I agree. DR puts in the "tough but not strong" part. The only reason STR and CON are different is for balance, I think.
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with merging wisdom into charisma is that, from an RP standpoint, I really don't think of sorcerors and bards and such as "wise" characters. In fact, quite the contrary. Then how will we be able to create our lovable low-wisdom vagabonds?
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by waterpenguin43 View Post
    I agree. DR puts in the "tough but not strong" part. The only reason STR and CON are different is for balance, I think.
    Hmmm, I don't think so.

Stuff under Constitution is usually something very different from the stuff under Strength.

D&D is of course very simple anyway, but it's easily possible to visualize someone who is very endurable, pain, shock resistant, healthy etc, but not strong.

Vice versa is also easy with some fluff of course, but quite "realistic".

On the other hand, you can put things from Wisdom to Intelligence of Charisma pretty easily, because those are much more abstract attributes.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I don't know . . . Wisdom and Charisma seem very distinct to me. One's perception, mental balance, and insight, the other's social presence and likeability.

Game-balance wise, I guess it would be fine, but I'd find it hard to see how perception-related stuff would go under anything but Wisdom.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

If you need to do this, I suggest replacing Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma with two stats - Mind and Soul. Mind would have all the elements of Intelligence, some of Wisdom and a few of Charisma (such as bluff, for example), while Soul would be responsible for the rest of Wisdom and Charisma.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

This logic is undeniable. If you are strong of body, that is strength. Intestinal fortitude is not will because that is wisdom, it is strength. Of body, not of mind, which is Wis and Int. This would actually boost all chars considerably because it would make everybody who adventures have reasonable strength of body. Even wizards. A turtle could also be spoken for by Natural armor. Toughness has always been linked to hit points, but we all know toughness is strength of body, stronger body equal more fortitude.

Here I was going to suggest Wis and Cha being put together because they are so similar, as well as, perceptions being more a Wis stat then Cha or strength of body, but now I'm sold on getting rid of Con.
    Think what you want. I can't stop you.

26. - Top - End - #26

I played football with this fellow, Trevor. He was huge and strong as an ox. He also screamed like a little girl, when he was tackled. That is why I will never believe Strength and Constitution should be rolled into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Yeah, I'd agree with the anti-Con camp. It's the black sheep of the stats. Everybody needs it, but it just kind of sits there and doesn't contribute much actively (for most characters, it's more hp, higher Fort. save, and a boost to Concentration; even the Incarnum classes and DFA enjoy it passively as a save DC booster).

The question becomes: with a loss of an ability score, how would one alter point buy?

Edit: More random thoughts:

If you just had STR and DEX as the physical ability scores, you could do some interesting stuff.

DEX could apply to all melee and ranged attack rolls, while STR would apply to melee damage rolls. Skills would largely remain unchanged, perhaps making Concentration either STR-based or WIS-based.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2010-05-02 at 12:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I don't know . . . Wisdom and Charisma seem very distinct to me. One's perception, mental balance, and insight, the other's social presence and likeability.

Game-balance wise, I guess it would be fine, but I'd find it hard to see how perception-related stuff would go under anything but Wisdom.
    I could very well see perception-related stuff going under Intelligence. After all, Search and Appraise are Int-based.

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

I played once a variant with 4 stats.
    STR + CON = "fortitude" and WIS + CHA = "will".
    It helps a lot MAD classes and actually makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Schubert Guy What Wrote that Vampire Article
    In the D&D game, so much of a character’s identity is expressed by the powers that character can use.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Bayaseda View Post
    I could very well see perception-related stuff going under Intelligence. After all, Search and Appraise are Int-based.
    Those are based on focusing on something, though. How observant you are doesn't have any necessary connection to how intelligent you are.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!