New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Swordsage Discipline Focus

Can someone explain Discipline Focus to me, please? If I choose Stone Dragon at 1st level, obviously I get Weapon Focus for Stone Dragon Weapons. If I then chose Setting Sun at 4th level, would I get weapon focus for both Stone Dragon and Setting Sun disciplines? Would I get the Wisdom bonus to both Stone Dragon and Setting Sun Maneuvers?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I am not understanding how the ability progresses.

Thanks in advance!
    My girlfriend(non-gamer) after watching me play an RPG on the Xbox: "So, you're just killing people and taking their stuff?"
    Me-.....Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    "You weak minded fools! If you had the strength of will to look past his illusionary fire, you would see that - OH GOD, IT BURNS! IT BURNS EVEN HOTTER THAN THE REAL THING!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Swordsage Discipline Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Saintjebus View Post
    Can someone explain Discipline Focus to me, please? If I choose Stone Dragon at 1st level, obviously I get Weapon Focus for Stone Dragon Weapons. If I then chose Setting Sun at 4th level, would I get weapon focus for both Stone Dragon and Setting Sun disciplines? Would I get the Wisdom bonus to both Stone Dragon and Setting Sun Maneuvers?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I am not understanding how the ability progresses.

Thanks in advance!
    You get what it says for each level. Level 1 is Weapon Focus. Level 4 is Insightful Strikes. Etc.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3

SwashbucklerGuy

So in my example, I get Weapon Focus for Stone Dragon weapons, but only get the Insightful strike bonus for Setting Sun Maneuvers?
    My girlfriend(non-gamer) after watching me play an RPG on the Xbox: "So, you're just killing people and taking their stuff?"
    Me-.....Right!

"You weak minded fools! If you had the strength of will to look past his illusionary fire, you would see that - OH GOD, IT BURNS! IT BURNS EVEN HOTTER THAN THE REAL THING!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

You can't do that, at least, not at 4th. You may only choose two schools, the first at 1st and the second at... uh... 12th, is it? Anyway, you get Weapon Focus, Insightful Strikes and... that other feature... for the first school, then you choose a second school to also get Insightful Strikes and that third feature.

I am completely and utterly wrong. Don't know where I got that idea.
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-05-02 at 01:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    You can't do that, at least, not at 4th. You may only choose two schools, the first at 1st and the second at... uh... 12th, is it? Anyway, you get Weapon Focus, Insightful Strikes and... that other feature... for the first school, then you choose a second school to also get Insightful Strikes and that third feature.
    No, you choose a new discipline each time you get Discipline Focus. It doesn't care what you chose at earlier levels.

Exact wording:
    Discipline Focus (Ex): As a swordsage, you can focus your training to take advantage of each discipline's fighting style. Each time you gain the discipline focus ability, select one of the six swordsage disciplines to which that focus applies. You can select a different discipline each time you gain discipline focus, but you must know at least one martial maneuver from the selected discipline. Even if you select a different discipline at higher levels, your discipline choice for earlier abilities does not change.
    I'm not, honestly, quite sure how much more explicit you can get.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-05-02 at 01:17 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6

You can choose a new discipline- or you can choose the same one every time.

There is a "must have at least one manuever from that discipline" rule though.

So you can't take "Discipline Focus: Setting Sun Weapons" without at least one Setting Sun manuever.

Choosing a new one doesn't change previous choices though.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-05-02 at 01:15 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

Thank you all very much. I think I have it figured out now.
    Me-.....Right!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Wow, I'm sorry. I have been mistaken on this for a long time, then.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Wow, I'm sorry. I have been mistaken on this for a long time, then.
    *pats* We all make mistakes.

This is why I always pull out the relevant book and double check before I answer questions now.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Heh, I can't actually do that right now, cuz I have it in electronic format and I'm still in the process of recovering my harddrive (well, actually, that's not entirely true; I'm in the process of reinstalling Windows having finished recovery).

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Since you all were so quick to help with that explanation, perhaps you can help me with another ToB question. How does the Tiger Claw manuever "Sudden Leap" work? The text says that you jump a distance determined by a Jump check, but how does one interpret the jump check? Do you just jump the number of feet that you rolled( that is, 1d20 + jump mod)?
    Me-.....Right!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since you all were so quick to help with that explanation, perhaps you can help me with another ToB question. How does the Tiger Claw manuever "Sudden Leap" work? The text says that you jump a distance determined by a Jump check, but how does one interpret the jump check? Do you just jump the number of feet that you rolled( that is, 1d20 + jump mod)?
    Pretty much. The DC for jump checks is 5/5 ft, so you would just round down to the nearest multiple of 5. Granted, you would need something that makes you count as having a running start for jumps.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Do you just jump the number of feet that you rolled( that is, 1d20 + jump mod)?
    Yeah, rounded to the nearest interval of 5.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

The distance you move is determined by the DCs given in the Jump skill in the PHB. Treat it as a standing horizontal jump. Its main use is to move more than 5ft and still use a full round action, such as a full attack.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

15. - Top - End - #15

SwashbucklerGuy

Ok, cool. Next question: How do Improved Natural Attack, Superior Unarmed Strike, the Monk's belt, and Unarmed swordsage interact with each other? In other words, I am a 10th level unarmed swordsage. I have both improved natural attack and Superior unarmed strike. I am wearing a monk's belt. In this case, Do I look at the line for Monk 10, raise it by four from the superior unarmed strike, and raise it by another five levels from the monk's belt, and then increase the die size from Improved Natural attack?
    Me-.....Right!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, that's exactly what you do. So your damage would go from 1d10 to 2d6 to 2d8 to 3d8. Add on Enlarge Person and it would jump to 4d8 from the size increase, etc.

Next level (monk 20 damage at swordsage 11) would probably go from 2d10 to 4d8, then Enlarge Person would make it 6d8. After swordsage 11, your base damage won't increase any further, so at swordsage 16 you can swap out the monk's belt for a different item.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

I was hoping that that's what would happen. Thank you.

Also, what book is Necklace of Natural Attacks in?
    Last edited by Saintjebus; 2010-05-02 at 02:04 PM.
    Me-.....Right!

18. - Top - End - #18

I was hoping that that's what would happen. Thank you.

Also, what book is Necklace of Natural Attacks in?
    Savage Species, but it's on one WoTC online article too. And honestly, it should've been in Core instead of Amulet of Mighty Fists; that PoS is one of the (many) big issues unarmed combatants have.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.