A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fae-o-matic. You find the folklore, I make the beasty!

The Hawaiians have legends about gnomes. Make one of theirs.
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

How about some stats on Giwakwa/Cheeno/Kiwakwa? (Female Giwakaweskwa)

They're essentially Frost Giant Wendigo. They're cannibals, who's hearts have turned to ice from horrific acts (usually cannibalism or hording food). They can regenerate, their rage makes them grow, they always hunger, and their shriek can be deadly.

"According to Frank Speck's 1935 article "Penobscot Tales and Religious Beliefs" in The Journal of American Folklore, the word "kiwakwa" means "going about in the woods." If you don't want to see one of these monsters stay out of the woods during the winter."

"Much like the Incredible Hulk, they get larger as they get angrier, and often tower above the tallest tree. Unlike the Hulk, they are emaciated, have enormous fangs, and often have eaten their own lips in hunger. They are always hungry, and their scream will kill any human who hears it. Sometimes, a dead shaman of great power may return from his grave as a chenoo. Chenoos usually appear in the winter."

"Chenoo get their evil powers from a lump of human-shaped ice in their stomach. There are several tales where clever people make a chenoo vomit up the ice lump, which returns it to human form. In some stories, making a chenoo eat salt will melt the lump."

"Chopping a chenoo into many small pieces is the only way to be certain it won't regenerate, and even after it's killed people will avoid the spot where it died."

Some links to stories to help: The Story of the Great Chenoo, as told by the Passamaquoddies and The Young Man who was Saved by a Rabbit and a Fox.

Also: Some info.

Edit: I don't know how much/often we're allowed to request, or how many fey you want for your endeavor, but I decided I'd give it a try.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2011-03-22 at 08:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Edit that to have sources, preferably more than just wikipedia [if you can find text from an atual Aboriginal legend, it'll go faster] and i'm sure something can be arranged.

I included the Court of Stars in preparation for this moment.

Edit:
    Right, because I actually feel a little bad about the way Unosarta felt about the policy, I'm going to officially repeal the ban on Japanese critters. I will, however, make no more than one of these creatures for every two others, before i get flooded with requests.

The Stack at the moment:
    1. Alp
    2. Kitsune
    3. Bunyip
    4. Hu Ji Jing assuming i can manage to make it sufficiently different to the former critter
    5. Yowie
    6. Tsuchigumo
    7. Something else, probably finally getting around to Nakken

As i've said before, just to restate, primary sources, i.e. actual stories and legends are the most useful sources; if you can find at least one in addition to the Wikipedia, it makes things a lot quicker as i don't have to search myself...
    Herp, I told you Hu Ji Jing, but apparently it is Hu Li Jing. My fault for not distinguishing the "j" and "l".

Here is a PDF about Kitsune and other morphic Shamanistic Spirit Animals in Japan. It mentions Kitsune early on.

This is a linguistical index for the term "Sunbeam", but if you search "kitsune-no yome-iri", it describes a pattern of light found in the late afternoon when the sun is low, and is known as the Fox's Wedding. Could have something to do with the Tweening.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-03-22 at 09:16 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    ibid?
    Me too. Basically. Or so I have always beleived...

That is the intention, yes, though the literary ones are always more tricky than thhinks that appear in multiple sources. I'll sort out the fox thing, possibly a version of Kitsune and see about the Bai Gu Jing because i have access to Journey to the West. Timescale is another issue entirely.
    Oh, good I'm glad. As long as you get it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd love to give you more material on the Alp, but all I can find is German sources. And most of the things found in those are, in one form or the other, already in the Wikipedia entry, just without the prose and legends around them.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Alp:
    The alp is a small humanoid creature with butterfly wings, the ability to change shape and size and a faecraft hat that grants them certain magics. They are the troubling offspring of a demon called the horerczy, a large and hideous creature that breathes out such creatures. How this is done is unclear, though the little evidence available seems to indicate that the Alps are a form of imp; a product of asexual reproduction, a cutting or seedling.

The alps themselves do not seem to act at the behest of their master, though it is questioned why a creature would be adapted for a binary diet. For one, they are adapted to rest upon the chest of a sleeping victim, increasing both their physical and psychic weight until the victim awakes from nightmares and the panic caused by suffocation. They then deploy a lengthy, sticky tongue into the nose of the victim to retrieve the knot of fear that this situation produced. On the other hand, they plague the teats of almost anyone, but favouring the breast milk of mothers to the blood of men and children.

Despite their dubious heritage, these creatures are not all that powerful; their abilities stem from their improbable slipperiness. Few hunters are able to trap these cunning shapeshifters and fewer still can slay them properly when they do.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tiny Fey (Fae, Shapechanger)
    Hit Dice: 2d6-2 (5 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 20ft (4 squares), Fly 60ft [Good]
    Armor Class: 17 (+5 Dexterity, +2 Size), touch 17, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-8
    Attack: Tentacle Tongue +2 melee (1, 5ft reach)
    Full Attack: Tentacle Tongue +2 melee (1, 5ft reach) and 2 Claws -3 (1d2-1)
    Space/Reach: 2.5-ft/0-ft
    Special Attacks: Evil Eye, Nightmare Curse, Weight
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 12/Natural, Low Light Vision, Shapechange, Tweening
    Saves: Fort -1, Ref +8, Will +4
    Abilities: Str: 8/-1 Dex: 20/+5 Con: 8/-1 Int: 16/+3 Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 15/+2
    Skills: Appraise +8, Bluff +7, Hide +18, Intimidate +7, Knowledge [Arcane] +8, Knowledge [Nature] +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +10, Sense Motive +7, Spot +6
    Feats: Ability Focus [Curses]
    Environment: Germany
    Organization: Solitary or Flock (2-50)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: 3-5 [Tiny] 6-10 [Small]

Dissolve: When slain, an Alp transforms into a shower of smashed moth wing fragments

Disturbing [Ex]: Alps are unsettling to look at [though comical at times] and until an Alp takes an aggressive action, those wishing to attack one must succeed on a Will save, DC 12 [10 + HD + Cha mod] or lose their action.

Evil Eye [Sp]: Gaze 20ft, Standard action to use, Will DC 17, Slow 2 rounds. This save is Cha based.

Nightmare Curse [Sp]: While grappling with a foe, the Alp can inflict horrible nightmares or waking dreams on the victim. Doing so is a Swift action and counts as either a Bestow Curse spell, save DC 17, for waking targets or a Nightmare spell, save DC 17, if the target is sleeping. This save is Cha based.

Spell-Like Abilties [Sp]: CL 2, at Will: Invisibility

Shapeshifting [Su]: As a Standard action, the Alp may adopt the form of any Insect or Predatory animal that moves on the ground. They favour the forms of a cat, snake, butterfly, pig or sickly looking dog. Amusingly, or perhaps disturbingly, all of these forms are found wearing the Tarnkappe that is so standard for the breed.

Tarnkappe [Item]: A tarnkappe is a faecraft item that serves as the root of most of the Alp's powers. If the kappe is lost, the Alp is unable to use any of its spell-like abilities until it is reclaimed or it makes a new one, taking a month.

Tweening: Alps are weak f and so are only able to tween during times of Dusk and Dawn, when they may move through Physical Boundaries.

Weight [Su]: The alp's most overtly dangerous ability is its power to increase its mass a great deal without changing size. Doing so is a Standard action; the alp's weight doubles, granting it a cumulative +4 on Grapple checks and it makes a Grapple check as a free action. The first time this is used, its Fly speed is halved. The second, it cannot fly. This ability lasts for 2 rounds [equal to the Alp's Constitution +3 so Bear's Endurance or the like would increase the duration and the number of copies of this that can be stacked]

MV Version
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tiny F Shapeshifter Thing 2 CP 4
    Init: + 6 , Senses: Listen + 1 , Observation +7
    Languages: Teutonic, German
    Defence: 14 Flatfooted: 12 +5 Swift action
    Hardness: DR 12/Natural
    HD: 2d6 - 2 + 8 Hp: 13
    Massive Damage: 8
    Thresholds: Green, [ 6 ] Yellow, [ 3 ] Orange, [ 1 ] Red
    Resist: Evasion
    Fort: + 0 Reflex: + 6 Will: + 4 Psyche: 17 Tussle: 4
    Speed: 30 ft, Fly 60ft Space: 2.5 ft Reach: 0 ft, 5 for shifting

Melee: +8 Tentacle Tongue (1, 5ft reach) and +3/+3 Claws (1d2-1)

BAB: + 1 Grapple: -8
    Special Actions:
    • Evil Eye [Swift; one target within 30ft; target suffers -3 on checks with one stat, DC 14 Will ends [Shake it Off]]
    • Invisibility [Swift; Alp becomes Invisible for 5 rounds or until it attacks]
    • Nightmare Curse [Swift; targets wrestled foe; target suffers a -3 penalty on checks with one stat, DC 14 Will ends [Shake it Off]]
    • Shapechange [Standard; adopt form of any incest or carnivorous animal [not birds].]
    • Weight [Standard; the Alp's weight doubles, though its size remains the same. It gains a +4 bonus on Grapple, then makes a Wrestle check. Stacks, lasts 5 rounds]

Abilities: Str: 8/-1 Dex: 20/+5 Con: 8/-1 Int: 16/+3 Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 10/-
    SQ: Dissolve, Disturbing DC 12, Tweening

Feats: Ability Focus [Curses]B, Fcraft (Tarnkappe), Weapon FinesseB

Skills: Hide +19, Intimidate +6, Manipulate +6, Move Silently +11, Observation +7, Sense Motive +7

Possessions: Tarnkappe [Grants Invisibility and Weight abilities. Neither ability can be used if it is removed.]
    Special Abilities:
    Dissolve: When slain, an Alp transforms into a shower of smashed moth wing fragments

Disturbing [Ex]: Alps are unsettling to look at [though comical at times] and until an Alp takes an aggressive action, those wishing to attack one must succeed on a Will save, DC 12 [10 + HD + Cha mod] or lose their action.

Shapeshifting [Su]: As a Standard action, the Alp may adopt the form of any Insect or Predatory animal that moves on the ground. They favour the forms of a cat, snake, butterfly, pig or sickly looking dog. Amusingly, or perhaps disturbingly, all of these forms are found wearing the Tarnkappe that is so standard for the breed.

Tweening: Alps are weak f and so are only able to tween during times of Dusk and Dawn, when they may move through Physical Boundaries.
    This version of the Alp's combat tactics are fairly simple. If they are presented with an unconscious target, they simply begin a grapple, use Nightmare Curse to get a bad dream brewing and consume at their leisure, using Weight if the victim looks to be stirring.

In the case of a mobile target, it uses its superior stealth to gain ambush, using its tongue to start a grapple with the drop on the target. From there, it attempts a pin and then pours on the applications of the Weight ability while sapping the target's Strength with Nightmare Curse. If it can manage an Evil Eye from hiding, that never hurts either.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Lore:
    {table]DC|Lore

2|Alps are a kind of vampire

7|Alps come in the night and force themselves on young women. They end up pregnent with the babies always being wrapped in their afterbirth, making them monstrous Fexts

12|Alps are malevolent blood eating fairies that bring nightmares and prefer to prey on young women. They eat dreams by sticking their long prehensile tongue up your nose.

17|Only small, Alps have the ability to increase their weight massively, crushing the chest of the victim and causing panic as they cannot breathe. Alps are so small that they cannot enter a room where the cracks, keyholes and knots in the boards have been plugged; they cannot work doorhandles.

22|For unknown reasons, Alps are really fond of coffee. An offer of such is actually enough to get the insane little creep to stop attacking you until morning, when you are obliged to serve it your best coffee with cream or face many more nights of misery

27|Alps find lemon juice toxic; the stuff is a powerful paralytic to them. Forcing lemons down their throats is one way to paralyse them and if you can manage to coat the inside of your nose with it before bed, the alp could be in for a nasty surprise.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.

Right, Kitsune are taking a while because I seem to have folded them and the Huli Ling into one subsystem, with the Huli being the more fox like version and the Ninko [Fox-men] being the more humanoid ones...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:23 PM.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #247

I like it.

Not sure on the type and size? You left them just as the words in brackets.

Also, on the nightmare curse: I'd give it an effect too. The Nightmare spell says that the target is fatigued the next day, perhaps include that?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Bestow Curse not permanent?

To the SRD!
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

9. - Top - End - #249

Probably is. I'm mostly just talking about the dreams themselves. Having constant nightmares should IMO have a tangible game effect, and fatigue seems good.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

I've allowed the D&D version the choice between Bestow Curse or Nightmare.

11. - Top - End - #251

If I may ask, what exactly is the MV version for? I haven't found an explanation anywhere. System you wrote?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, Mecha Victoriana, my system; a derivative of D&D which was originally just a heavily modified version of the Dragonmech but is now basically different barring some names and the basics of the mech design rules.

The actual creation process here goes:
    1. Do research, get picture in head of what the creature needs to do
    2. Use my MV monster toolkit to build it as quickly as I can [i made this ages ago and it works so well]
    3. Convert to D&D
    4. Revise anything that works on rules that aren't in D&D like Psyche, Tussle and the like
    5. Do the lore section
    6. post

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Kitsune, Fox-spirits:
    A kitsune-kami [fox spirit] is a Yokai that is common in Japanese, Chinese and Korean folklore; a kitsune is what happens when a fox manages to survive for long enough to gain demonic status, becoming a yokai. As with all yokai, it takes on human like features; intelligence, cunning and cruelty, along with increasingly powerful magic as they grow older.

While myth [or the Japanese for that matter] rarely chooses between them, there are two forms of kitsune; the more humanoid ones, known as Ninko [man-foxes] and the more fox-like ones, known by their Chinese name of Huli-jing or simply as "kitsune."

The powers of a kitsune are derived from their tails, in that they are a bijuu; their powers are tied into their tails and by waving these, they are able to draw upon varied illusionary and movement magics, including the infiltration of the human body and mind. Traditionally, the more tails a kitsune possesses, the wiser they are, with the nine tailed version being basically omniscient; the truth is slightly paler, with the nine tails being gifted with the ability to perceive at incredible range and snoop easily, gathering enough information to seem omniscient and smarter than they truly are.

Ninko:
    The ninko are, like Tanuki, a true breeding race of humanoid animal yokai that have been making their homes in the forests of Japan and China for a long time. Their breeding cycle is slow, however, and most of their increase in numbers is from the rare generation of new ninko as natural foxes get older and join the ranks of the yokai; around 70% of kitsune become ninko when they turn.

A ninko in its natural form looks like a spindly human with a dense covering of red fur all over its body and fox's tails emerging from beneath their specially made hakama or lose pants. The face of a ninko is basically human with close set and round eyes and narrow chins. The females tend to have strong, sharp cheekbones and rattier tails, while the males have broad, fluffy tails and more fox-like feet.

D&D Example Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    your work here

D&D Racial Traits:
    Spoiler
    Show

Note: Racial traits that are red additional abilities intended to upgrade the race to Pathfinder standards. If using D&D 3.5, ignore them.

Ninko [Foxfolk] Racial Traits:

• Humanoid [Fox, Yokai]: Ninko are humanoids with the Fox and Yokai subtypes and are treated as humans for most purposes, though see Vulpine Spirit below. A Yokai is similar to a f, though they are created from other things that get very old. Yokai are treated as f and unholy for purposes of exorcisms and the like.
    • +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution. Ninko are quick and agile but not hugely reslient, a remnant of their flimsey vulpine bone structure
    • Medium
    • Speed: 40ft
    • Bijuu [Su/Sp]: Ninko, like all Kitsune, are Bijuu and possess one tail. They may select further tails as feats at or beyond 3rd level.
    • Bite: The Ninko has a pair of fierce jaws that deal 1d6 damage as a natural attack. If you wish to use this in combination with other attacks, it suffers a -5 penalty to hit as a secondary natural attack.
    • Vulpine Senses: The Ninko have a limited form of Scent that helps little with detection but grants a +8 bonus on Survival checks made to track other creatures when tracking by scent.
    • Vulpine Spirit: While tricksters, the ninko are still fundamentally foxish in their thinking; they just can't shake it. The ninko can be affected by any spell that can affect animals, though it gains a +5 bonus on saves against these effects unless they also affect humanoids. For similar reason, however, ninko treat all Dexterity and Wisdom based skills as class skills for all classes.
    • Yokai Resilience: the ninko has DR /Natural equal to its HD. This defence is also ignored by the first blow from freshly washed blades.
    • Level Adjustment: +1 [D&D only]
    • Favoured Class: None. The downside of the adaptable flighty nature of a kitsune is that they suck at specialising.

The Tails:

Bijuu Tails:

The defining point about bijuu [tailed beasts such as kitsune and bakeneko] are their tails. Each of these tails carries a specific magical power that can be activated at will, usually by waving the tail. Waving the tail is either a Swift action or a Move action. The powers manifest by a tail endure until the next turn of the bijuu unless stated otherwise; at the beginning of her new turn, the bijuu was the option to immediately wave the tail again. If the creature chooses to do so, the effect remains intact and unbroken with no trace of disruption.

Obviously, there are limits to the number of tails that can be waved at any one time, based on the bijuu's actions and they cannot be waved while the bijuu is Stunned, Paralysed or Unconscious.

{table]Tail |Ability
    First tail [Ichibi] |Human form: the kitsune can wave its tail to make a change in appearance to a human of their choice; either one seen or an imaginary one. Doing so requires a "tails check" [1d20 + number of tails] against the target's Charisma score. Each point of failure leaves a tell in the disguise. This power grants a +20 bonus to Disguise checks, -5 per tell. This ability lasts for ten minutes and can be renewed with further waves of the tail.

Second tail [Nibi] |Stepping Behind: By waving its nibi, the Kitsune brushes at the edges of the artwork that is reality, making the seams thin and blurry. During any turn that the Kitsune waves this tail, it may Tween as though it were a true Fae with a number of HD equal to twice its total tails.

Third tail [Sanbi] |Foxfire: Foxfire is a kind of magical energy that manifests constantly as an orb balanced on the sanbi of the Kitsune [or sometimes carried in the mouth]. This can be fired as a Standard action; a ranged attack that deals 4d6 damage. Waving the sanbi accumulates additional dice at a rate of two dice per action spent waving. Additional energy dissipates if left unstimulated for a whole round. A bijuu may store no more than 2d6 per tail it possesses.

Fourth tail [Yonbi] |Illusionary Aspect: By waving its Yonbi, a Kitsune can make edits to the world around them. The Kitsune counts as casting Major Image, save that it has a duration of "sustained" and lasts as long as the kitsune maintains the image.

Fifth tail [Goubi] |Flight: By waving its Goubi, a Kitsune replaces its other movement speeds with a Fly speed equal to twice their base land speed with perfect manoeuvrability until their next turn.

Sixth tail [Rokubi] |Dream Manifestation: While it continues to wave its rokubi, a Kitsune projects itself into the dreams of a sleeping being within 30ft. While inside, it may replicate the effects of either a Nightmare or Dream. Saves apply as normal. A given target may be affected by this ability no more than once per night, whether they save or not.

Seventh tail [Shichibi] |Possession: Wrapping its Shichibi around a victim [a Standard action during a Grapple; you don't wave this one], a Kitsune is able to penetrate the mind of it's victim and take possession of it. This ability functions identically to demonic possession [see Fiendish codex 1 or BoVD], save that their body is absorbed into the victim too.

Eighth tail [Hachibi] |World-bending Illusion: By waving its hichibi, the Kitsune is able to distort reality more to its liking, or at least, reality in the eyes of those around it. This functions similarly to the Yonbi's power, but instead mimics the spell Mirage Arcana, with a duration based on how long the user concentrates.

Ninth tail [Kyuubi] |All-knowing: the Kitsune becomes able to perceive a great deal. Legend has it that they become all knowing, while in reality, this is more like a highly efficient form of clairvoyance and clairaudience. The Kitsune becomes able to sense things perfectly, without skill checks out to a 1000ft radius. Beyond this, it may make skill checks as if the distance were 1000ft shorter than it actually is.
    |In addition, the Kitsune may concentrate on a known point within 100 miles. It loses its local senses and is able to perceive a 300ft radius around the designated point via remote vision and hearing.
    |In both these cases, the Kitsune can wave its tail to grant itself the ability to ignore all magical concealment or disguise, including illusions, phantasms, veils and polymorph effects. All creatures appear in their natural form.[/table]

MV Example Ninko:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our example character is Kuroko Toubushi, one of the most elite defenders of his village in the mountains near Bukhansan, Korea. He fought against French soldiers during the war of 1866 and the mixed Japanese/Tanuki force that attempted to force a foothold on the peninsula in 1876 during the German limitations; a period when the German empire's expansion ground to a halt on the eastern front because of ongoing conflicts with both the British in Afghanistan and the Chinese along the Mongolian border.
    Kuroko has an unusual black fur colour with bright eyes and a preference for pale blue in his robes. He fights with twin blades and is more than able to wield a sword in two hands if pressed. His preferred tactic is to wrap his blades in illusionary fire to increase the damage potential and psychological impact of his attacks and then creates a pair of double bluff copies of himself to take the heat for him. Foxfire is reserved for those who attempt to stand off and use ranged weapons.

Medium Ninko Trooper 6 CP 7
    Init: + 6 , Senses: Listen + 8 , Observation +13
    Languages: Korean, Japanese, Mandarin
    Defence: 18 Flatfooted: 10 +4 Shift
    Hardness: 5 [P, officer's armour] + DR 7/Natural or Washed
    HD: 1d8 + 6d10 + 7 + 12 Hp: 86
    Massive Damage: 12
    Thresholds: Green, [ 43 ] Yellow, [ 21 ] Orange, [ 8 ] Red
    Fort: + 8 Reflex: + 6 Will: + 5 Psyche: 23 Tussle: 19
    Speed: 50ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 10 ft
    Ranged: +10 Foxfire (4d6 Electricity)
    +10 Daikyu (2d10, x3, Range 80ft)

Melee: +12 [+7/+7] Hwando (1d10+ plus 1d6 Mental Fire, 19/x2)
    +11 [+6/+6] Samindo (1d6+ plus 1d6 Mental Fire, 19/x2)

BAB: + 6 Grapple: +9
    Special Actions:
    • Aim [Move; +1 to hit, +4 damage with Hwando; +3 damage with Samindo]
    • Dual Flurry [Attack option; -2 to hit, extra attack. Applies on full attack or Strikes.]
      Gladiatorial Prowess [Standard; make attack, hit renders target either Slowed, Sickened or Fatigued]
    • Improved Dual Flurry [Full; Full attack at +6/+6 with Hwando and +5 with Samido. May use -5 for extra attack with one blade.]
    • Shift [Swift; First; shift 10ft no AoO, activate one tail, +4 defence: second+; move 10ft no AoO]

Abilities: Str: 16/+3 Dex: 19/+4 Con: 12/+1 Int: 10 Wis: 15/+2 Cha: 13/+1
    SQ: Dissolve, Human Form, Stepping Behind, Vulpine Spirit

Feats: Dual Flurry, Extra Tail x 3, Gladiatorial Prowess, Improved Dual Flurry, Shaking BoundsB, Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
    Flaw: Geas (Defy the dictates of the shogun), (Allow hint of the location of village)
    Legend: Swift

Skills: Athletics +13, Hide +15, Listen +8, Observation +13, Survival +5 [+13 tracking]

Possessions: Masterwork +2 Hwando (Bastard sword), Masterwork +2 Samindo (shortsword), Masterwork +1 Officer's Armour
    Special Abilities:
    Dissolve: If slain, Kuroko leaves behind the body of a sad looking black fox.

Foxfire: Foxfire is a kind of magical energy that manifests constantly as an orb balanced on Kuroko's sanbi. He can fire this as a Standard action. Additionally, he may spend Swift actions building additional dice for his next attack; each action adds +2d6 damage, to an eventual maximum of 8d6.

Human form: Kuroko can wave his tail to make a change in appearance to a human of his choice; he usually pretends to be a Charisma 10 government official called Hyeunong. Doing so requires a "tails check" [1d20 + 4] against the mimicked target's Charisma score. Each point of failure leaves a tell in the disguise. This power grants a +20 bonus to Disguise checks, -5 per tell. This ability lasts for ten minutes and can be renewed with further waves of the tail.

Illusionary Aspect: By waving his Yonbi, Kuroko can make edits to the world around him. He creates up to four glammer aspects when he does so. He can create no more than one creature at a time. See page 5

Stepping Behind: When he uses his Nibi, Kuroko gains the ability to Tween through Physical Boundaries, the Space Beneath, Shadows and, at times of dusk and dawn, Abstract Boundaries, until the end of turn.

Vulpine Spirit:
    Much to his chagrin, Kuroko still thinks a bit like a fox at times. He is subject to any Witchcraft, Divine or Psionic effects that specifically target animals, but receives a +5 bonus on saves against them.

MV Racial Features:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ninko [Foxfolk] Racial Traits:
    • Humanoid [Fox, Yokai]: Ninko are humanoids with the Fox and Yokai subtypes and are treated as humans for most purposes, though see Vulpine Spirit below. A Yokai is similar to a f, though they are created from other things that get very old. Yokai are treated as f and unholy for purposes of exorcisms and the like.
    • +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Ninko are quick and agile but not hugely reslient, a remnant of their flimsey vulpine bone structure
    • Medium
    • Speed: 40ft
    • Agile: Whenever it takes a Defence action, the Ninko adds its dexterity modifier to its defence.
    • Bijuu [Su/Sp]: Ninko, like all Kitsune, are Bijuu and possess one tail. They may select further tails as feats at or beyond 3rd level.
    • Bite: The Ninko has a pair of fierce jaws that deal 1d6 damage as a natural attack. If you wish to use this in combination with other attacks, it suffers a -5 penalty to hit as a secondary natural attack.
    • Vulpine Senses: The Ninko have a limited form of Scent that helps little with detection but grants a +8 bonus on Survival checks made to track other creatures when tracking by scent.
    • Vulpine Spirit: While tricksters, the ninko are still fundamentally foxish in their thinking; they just can't shake it. The ninko can be affected by any spell that can affect animals, though it gains a +5 bonus on saves against these effects unless they also affect humanoids. For similar reason, however, ninko treat all Dexterity and Wisdom based skills as class skills for all classes.
    • Yokai Resilience: the ninko has DR /Natural equal to its HD. This defence is also ignored by the first blow from freshly washed blades.
    • Null Class levels: 1 [d8 HD, +0 BAB, +0 Defence, +0 all saves, 4 + Intelligence modifier skill points, one feat]
    • Favoured Class: None. The downside of the adaptable flighty nature of a kitsune is that they suck at specialising.

The Tails:

Bijuu Tails:

The defining point about bijuu [tailed beasts such as kitsune and bakeneko] are their tails. Each of these tails carries a specific magical power that can be activated at will, usually by waving the tail. Waving the tail is either a Swift action or a Move action. The powers manifest by a tail endure until the next turn of the bijuu unless stated otherwise; at the beginning of her new turn, the bijuu was the option to immediately wave the tail again. If the creature chooses to do so, the effect remains intact and unbroken with no trace of disruption.

Obviously, there are limits to the number of tails that can be waved at any one time, based on the bijuu's actions and they cannot be waved while the bijuu is Stunned, Paralysed or Unconscious.

{table]Tail |Ability
    First tail [Ichibi] |Human form: the kitsune can wave its tail to make a change in appearance to a human of their choice; either one seen or an imaginary one. Doing so requires a "tails check" [1d20 + number of tails] against the target's Charisma score. Each point of failure leaves a tell in the disguise. This power grants a +20 bonus to Disguise checks, -5 per tell. This ability lasts for ten minutes and can be renewed with further waves of the tail.

Second tail [Nibi] |Stepping Behind: By waving its nibi, the Kitsune brushes at the edges of the artwork that is reality, making the seams thin and blurry. During any turn that the Kitsune waves this tail, it may Tween as though it were a true Fae with a number of HD equal to twice its total tails.

Third tail [Sanbi] |Foxfire: Foxfire is a kind of magical energy that manifests constantly as an orb balanced on the sanbi of the Kitsune [or sometimes carried in the mouth]. This can be fired as a Standard action; a ranged attack that deals 4d6 damage. Waving the sanbi accumulates additional dice at a rate of two dice per action spent waving. Additional energy dissipates if left unstimulated for a whole round. A bijuu may store no more than 2d6 per tail it possesses.

Fourth tail [Yonbi] |Illusionary Aspect: By waving its Yonbi, a Kitsune can make edits to the world around them. The Kitsune creates a number of glammer aspects equal to the number of tails they possess. Theirs is a limited form of illusion, however, and they can create no more than one creature at a time. For now, refer to the Fear Derrig ability Master of Glammer ability for guidelines (a section on Fae illusions will be nicluded in Fae-o-matic to make this work properly.)

Fifth tail [Goubi] |Flight: By waving its Goubi, a Kitsune replaces its other movement speeds with a Fly speed equal to twice their base land speed with perfect manoeuvrability until their next turn.

Sixth tail [Rokubi] |Dream Manifestation: While it continues to wave its rokubi, a Kitsune projects itself into the dreams of a sleeping being within 30ft. While inside, it may use its Illusionary Aspect ability as a Standard action, creating up to one glammer aspect per HD it possesses. This can be used either to create a Dreamscape or to shape and wander the dreams of the target; this latter option is used to tease facts from the minds of the victim, allowing him to make a Gather Information check on the inside of the victim's mind.

| If you would prefer not to use a Dreamscape, the Kitsune may attempt to inflict any two of Rage, Good Hope, Crushing Despair and/or Fear on the victim. A Will save, DC 10 + number of tails + Charisma modifier, negates both of these effects.

Seventh tail [Shichibi] |Possession: Wrapping its Shichibi around a victim [a Standard action during a Grapple; you don't wave this one], a Kitsune is able to penetrate the mind of it's victim and take possession of it. This ability functions identically to demonic possession [see Fiendish codex 1 or BoVD], save that their body is absorbed into the victim too.

Eighth tail [Hachibi] |World-bending Illusion: By waving its hichibi, the Kitsune is able to distort reality more to its liking, or at least, reality in the eyes of those around it. This ability functions exactly like, and may be combined with, the Yonbi ability to create illusions. In addition, the Kitsune may opt to render a number of aspects semi-real by bending material out of the Hedge to fill in the gaps. Effectively, these sections are actually solid, able to bear weight and stop motion. They have a hardness of 5 and 30 hp per 5ft section. These sections must be assigned when the illusion is maintained each round and cost 1 hp per round [one hit point to have any real sections, not one per section]. Mobile components of the illusion cannot be given substance in this manner.

Ninth tail [Kyuubi] |All-knowing: the Kitsune becomes able to perceive a great deal. Legend has it that they become all knowing, while in reality, this is more like a highly efficient form of clairvoyance and clairaudience. The Kitsune becomes able to sense things perfectly, without skill checks out to a 1000ft radius. Beyond this, it may make skill checks as if the distance were 1000ft shorter than it actually is.
    |In addition, the Kitsune may concentrate on a known point within 100 miles. It loses its local senses and is able to perceive a 300ft radius around the designated point via remote vision and hearing.
    |In both these cases, the Kitsune can wave its tail to grant itself the ability to ignore all magical concealment or disguise, including illusions, phantasms, veils and polymorph effects. All creatures appear in their natural form.[/table]

New MV Feat:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shaking Bounds [Kitsune]:
    You have learned the art of jumping around erratically in such a way that it shakes your tails to activate your powers and also makes you tricky to hit.
    Prerequisites: Kitsune, Nibi, Mobility
    Description: When you take your first Shift action of the round, you count as also Waving a tail and taking a Defence action. Further Shifts grant no additional benefits.

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV" content, along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.

Right, well, that's my take on the Kitsune. The example character featured in the MV stuff is the best two weapon build i could make, focusing on debuffs and whatever the melee equivalent of controller-mess is. I need a brave volunteer to make a decent example character for the D&D version. More details and a fuller explaination as to why, can be found in the Kitsune mechanics thread [linked in the post above]
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to say, i've not forgotten about the Bunyip, my brain is just utterly garbled at the moment.

Creature is about half finished at the moment...

16. - Top - End - #256

Have you made stats for the Ice Kraken yet?

I was out ice-fishing with my uncle when some really weird sounds started below us, like a taut cable being hit with a hammer or a Star Wars blaster. I asked him what it was and he said "That's the Ice Kraken"
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Have you made stats for the Ice Kraken yet?
    Nope. If you'd like me to add it to the pile, find some lore on it; preferably at least one source other than wikipedia...

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Aye, Mullet. I was readin' through some old cryptozoology books of mine when I stumbled on a tall order for ye'. And I mean a -tall- order. Do you think you can add Am Fear Liath Mr, the Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui to your roster? It's a giant that haunts a particularly foggy Scottish mountain. The beastie stands roughly twenty feet tall, with track nearly two feet long. Covered in a fine gray hair, the Grey Man is just one part of the mountain's spookiness. Navigational equipment like compasses don't work, and shadows are thrown against the walls strangely. Most notably is an aura of melancholy on the whole landmark. Visitors report feeling depressed, anxious, fearful, and even suicidal while on the mountain. Reeks of Fae witchery to me. Here's more info if you take the case;
    http://www.monstropedia.org/index.ph...ear_Liath_More
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_liath
    http://www.newanimal.org/biggrayman.htm
    http://www.spookystuff.co.uk/FearLiath.html
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Bunyip:

Note: Much of the references to spirits and many of the core design elements come from this AustralianLibrary website

There is a lot of conflicting lore concerning the Bunyip, but this is as far as the Royal Society Executive and their contacts of the Koori and Ngunnawal Aboriginal tribes of New South Wales have been able to determine: Bunyip appears to be a true-breeding strain of spirit creature that is, like the Questing Beast [q.v.] of British myth, came from human stock. Due to its close association with the court of Stars [those who inhabit the Dreamtime], it appears that the first of these creatures was born amongst the Pintupi peoples of the centre lands.

Legend goes that Bunyip turned from the teachings of the Rainbow Serpent and gained in spiritual power by hunting and devouring the mortal versions of his spirit animals; conjectured to be crocodiles or some form of carnivorous, now extinct marsupial.

Bunyip's primary form is that of a distorted human shade that resembles a silhouette in the form of a man filled with the twinkling stars of the sky, the core around its liver obscured by a swirl of dark clouds caught in the starry-sky of his body. His hair and fingers bleed away much like the trailing edges of clouds. In this form, Bunyip makes his primary attack, stealing thoughts from the mind of the victim and modifying his physical form to be ideal to combat them.

The secondary, physical form of Bunyip defies description because it is never the same twice. While not truly a shapeshifter, Bunyip takes on aspects of the fears that he has stolen whenever he assumes physical form, hence never being the same twice; most of his forms are aquatic and blend insect, mammal and fish qualities; very few people are terrified of birds. Fighting Bunyip is difficult as you are both facing a part of yourself that terrifies you and because his attacks are specifically able to penetrate your defences. It is hardly surprising that for all the disappearances, there are few actual reports of what Bunyip actually looks like.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

Huge Magical Beast [Long]
    Hit Dice: 10d10+80 (135 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40ft (8 squares), Swim 40ft, Burrow 20ft
    Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dexterity, -2 Size, +10 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+26
    Attack: Bite +17 melee (3d6+8 plus Grab plus Poison)
    Full Attack: Bite +17 melee (3d6+8 plus Grab plus Poison) and 2 Claws +14 melee (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 15ft/10ft
    Special Attacks: Leap, Rake (2 Claws +14 melee 2d6+4), Poison
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 10/Natural, Echolocation 500ft, Healing Shift, Spirit Form, Tweening,
    Saves: Fort +15, Ref +10, Will +6
    Abilities: Str: 26/+8 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 26/+8 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 16/+3 Cha: 16/+3
    Skills: Athletics/Jump +25, Move Silently +16
    Feats: Fearsome PresenceLibris Mortis, Power Attack, Siren, Weapon Focus [Bite]
    Environment: Australia, near water.
    Organization: Solitary, Clan [one plus 1-4 Local spirits]
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: Standard in lair
    Alignment: 11-25 Huge

Combat

Assimilate [Su]: Bunyip is more than able to bring others into his horrible fold. For the most part, he does this with females and it involves sexual contact (correlation has not been established in this). As a ritual that takes seven hours, he can invest them with a portion of his power, transforming them into a Local Spirit [q.v.]. This is irrevocable, save for with a Miracle and the willingness of the transformed to turn back.

Dissolve: If slain in physical form, Bunyip breaks up into a collection of choked water weeds and foul smelling mud, along with miscellaneous, chewed animal bones.

Mind Theft [Su]: Unlike many spirits, Bunyip does not possess a direct spiritual attack; instead, each blow he lands in spiritual form draws out a fear from the target. Each such fear he steals renders his physical form more terrifying and difficult for the victim to fight, granting his physical form a cumulative +2 Competence bonus on Damage, Armour and Grapple against that target, to a maximum of the target's HD; the greater a foe, the greater his fears become. These bonuses are lost if he returns to spirit form after becoming physical.

Bunyip may accumulate benefits against several different targets, if he wishes, and each of these modifiers is tracked separately.

Shift Healing [Ex]: When he changes, Bunyip's new form has maximum hit points. Conditions affecting one form does not apply to the new form, allowing him to shed damage and conditions simply by changing shape.

Spirit Form [Ex]: Bunyip is a member of the court of the stars and so has both real and dreamlike essences about him. He is able to switch between his corporeal beast form and his spirit form as a Full action. While in spirit form, he is Incorporeal, Medium sized and humanoid. He has no attacks but uses Ghostly Touch.
    Incorporeal AC: 16 (+3 Dexterity, +3 Deflection), Flatfooted 13
    Hit Points: 10d12 (65 hp)
    Incorporeal Touch: +13 melee touch

Tweening: Bunyip is a fully fledge f of the Starry Court and can tween through Physical Boundaries, the Space Beneath and Shadows, along with Abstract Boundaries during times of Dusk and Dawn. Additionally, he can shift himself into the Dreamtime from the Hedge as a Full round action. Doing so allows him to travel at immense speed [x100 speed for 4,000ft per action, 16,000ft per round at a Run] and also allows him to infiltrate extant Dreamscapes if he so chooses.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huge F Beast/Medium F Spirit 8 CP 11 [Court of the Stars]
    Init: + 7 , Senses: Listen + 3 , Observation +3
    Languages: All Aboriginal tongues
    Defence: 18 Flatfooted: 8
    Hardness: DR 8/Natural
    HD: 8d10 + 64 + 26 Hp: 133
    Massive Damage: 26
    Thresholds: Green, [ 66 ] Yellow, [ 33 ] Orange, [ 13 ] Red
    Resist: Aquatic
    Fort: + 14 Reflex: + 7 Will: + 7 Psyche: 28 Tussle: 32
    Speed: 40ft, Swim 40ft Space: 15 ft Reach: 10 ft

Melee: +12 Bite (3d6+8, 17/x2 plus 2d6 Poison plus Grab)
    +10 Claws (2d6+8)

BAB: + 8 Grapple: +24
    Special Actions: [*]Fearsome [Swift; make an Intimidate check against up to 6 targets within 30ft][*]Improved Grab [Bite hits; compare attack roll to target's Tussle, if higher, begin grapple without rolling][*]Pummel [Standard in Grapple; Wrestle +28 to beat Huge or smaller target against the floor for 8d6+8 damage][/list]
    Abilities: Str: 26/+8 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 26/+8 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 16/+3 Cha: 16/+3
    SQ: Assimilate, Dissolve, Tweening

Feats: Improved Critical, Improved Pummel, Intimidating Strike, Multiattack, Power Attack, Pummel

Skills: Athletics +24 (Swim +32), Hide +11, Intimidate +32
    Special Abilities:
    Assimilate [Su]: Bunyip is more than able to bring others into his horrible fold. For the most part, he does this with females and it involves sexual contact (correlation has not been established in this). As a ritual that takes seven hours, he can invest them with a portion of his power, transforming them into a Local Spirit [q.v.]. This is irrevocable, save for with a Miracle and the willingness of the transformed to turn back.

Dissolve: If slain in physical form, Bunyip breaks up into a collection of choked water weeds and foul smelling mud, along with miscellaneous, chewed animal bones.

Mind Theft [Su]: Unlike many spirits, Bunyip does not possess a direct spiritual attack; instead, each blow he lands in spiritual form draws out a fear from the target. Each such fear he steals renders his physical form more terrifying and difficult for the victim to fight, granting his physical form a +2 Competence bonus on Damage, Defence and Tussle against that target, to a maximum of the target's HD; the greater a foe, the greater his fears become. These bonuses are lost if his spiritual form is dispersed or driven off.

Bunyip may accumulate benefits against several different targets, if he wishes, and each of these modifiers is tracked separately.

Shift Healing [Ex]: When he changes, Bunyip loses his physical body and thus loses all the damage he may have suffered up to this point. Effectively, each time it emerges, Bunyip's physical form is perfect, unblemished and unique. This means that it is virtually impossible to kill this powerful entity; if his mortal body is destroyed, he is treated as being Driven Off and cannot reform for three weeks.

Spirit Form [Ex]: Bunyip is a member of the court of the stars and so has both real and dreamlike essences about him. He is able to switch between his corporeal beast form and his spirit form as a Full action. While in Spirit form, he has the following changes to his stats:
    Disperse: 7
    Drive Off: 33 Anchor: Darkness [as long as some deep shadow remains, Bunyip can reform]
    Attacks: +9 Ghostly Theft (None, see Mind Theft)

Tweening: Bunyip is a fully fledge f of the Starry Court and can tween through Physical Boundaries, the Space Beneath and Shadows, along with Abstract Boundaries during times of Dusk and Dawn. Additionally, he can shift himself into the Dreamtime from the Hedge as a Full round action. Doing so allows him to travel at immense speed [x100 speed for 4,000ft per action, 16,000ft per round at a Run] and also allows him to infiltrate extant Dreamscapes if he so chooses.

New Feats [OGL]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pummel:
    Sometimes, it's just more satisfying to smack your opponent into something instead of twisting his limbs or crushing his body.
    Prerequisites: Improved Grapple, Str 13+, Medium size or larger.
    Description: Rather than dealing damage normally with a grapple attack, you pound an opponent of equal or lesser size than yourself against something in an adjacent square. The floor may be used only if you are at least one size larger than your opponent or the target is prone. Using this feat is a Standard action and deals normal Grapple damage with a bonus based on your size, as follows: Medium 1d8, Large 2d6, Huge 3d6, Gargantuan 4d6, Colossal 6d6

Improved Pummel:
    Brutal force is always more satisfying.
    Prerequisites: Improved Grapple, Pummel, Str 17+, Medium or larger
    Description: You count as one size larger for all purposes while executing a Pummel manoeuvre, meaning that you deal damage one size larger, gain a +4 bonus on the Grapple check and may use it on upright members of your own size class.

Lore:
    {table]DC:|Information:

10|In the darkest parts of the bush and near the water holes of the desert is where Bunyip haunts. Beware the spirit women; they gather his prey to him.

15|Bunyip is a gigantic, monstrous hybrid creature, formed of parts of various different creatures; most accounts make him sound like a monstrous manatee the fangs of a snake and the eyes of a tiger.

20|Bunyip is a powerful spirit creature that has the ability to form himself a fully fledged corporeal body with great speed. It dwells in or near water courses.

25|Bunyip's form is always perfectly adapted to strike at his targets; he steals nightmares from their subconscious and takes that form in order to fight more efficiently; no matter how brave you are, this isn't a mental effect.

30|The symbolic bond between Bunyip and water is sufficient to make him a little vulnerable to the stones of the desert. If facepaint is made from the hard white clay of dried out riverbeds, it allows a wearer whose eyes are ringed with it to ignore any AC bonus he may gain from using Mind Theft on them

35|Bunyip has issues with certain creatures, lending suspicion that they were possibly predators or spiriual opponents to his original spirit guide. A spear tipped with a cluster of echidna spines prevents him from shifting forms or tweening while it remains imbedded. A weapon edged with crocodile teeth deals double damage to Bunyip.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.

Man this was hard; converting something that works well in MV back into D&D without ignoring one of the dumber pieces of D&D design is really tricky at times.

I'll go ahead and add the Am Fear Laith Mor to the "to do" pile.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Excellent work on the Bunyip, Mullet. And thanks for taking in Big Gray.

And on that note, someone's got to post this, or you'll all get a full night sleep. And we can't let that happen, now can we?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

21. - Top - End - #261

PirateGuy

This...is....Amazing... :O

22. - Top - End - #262

Are the competence boni from several hits with mind theft cumulative? The text implies this, but it's not entirely clear, and competence boni don't usually stack. You should probably also give an uppper limit.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Tygre: I'm quite pleased with it, though the D&D one is a little lacking, though overall comparable; just need to fix the issue Eldan points out [and I'd originally fixed but obviously not written down properly]. The Am Fear should be along with reasonable haste as the stuff intervening [aside from the Yowie, which doesn't have much lore, just cryptozoological speculation as far as i can tell] is reasonable well defined...

Mangles: Glad you like it. Yowie has a lot less to it...

Eldan: Thanks, you've pointed out something I'd meant to have included but haven't. The limit is the target's HD, as the mightier the target, the mightier his fears...

24. - Top - End - #264

Seems appropriate.

Just wondering... you've never done a changeling. How would you do that? I mean, they have little in common, really, other than being fey children. Could be a template, maybe.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Thing with Changelings is that there's no lore about them. They're generally story elements rather than characters; outside of that one Hellboy story, i can't remember an example of anyone speaking to one, barring a story from Briggs about boiling an old fairy, who had turned changeling, in oil.

I guess it could be a feat or something...

26. - Top - End - #266

Yeah, that's the problem, really. I know I've read a few things about how to stop fae from stealing your child, and a few ways to recognize changelings (the usual: lazy, red hair, often angry, basically any child that isn't nice and follows all orders).

27. - Top - End - #267

PirateGuy

yeah the Yowi unfortunately inst really all that interesting. Its basically a big foot story.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2011-04-07 at 02:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Huli-Jing:
    Amongst the Kitsune, the Huli-jing are the animalistic counterparts to the humanistic Ninko. Oddly, the more powerful a Huli-jing gets, the less like a fox it ends up looking; most contemporary accounts of them resemble gigantic shrews rather than foxes; apparently their increasing control of their morphology leads them to become ore flexible and sleek.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

Medium Fey (Fae, Yokai)
    Hit Dice: 14d6+42 (91 hp)
    Initiative: +6*
    Speed: 70ft (14 squares) Fly 140ft (Good] see Goubi
    Armor Class: 27* (+6* Dexterity, +7 Natural, +4 Dodge), touch 20, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+10
    Attack: Prehensile Tail +13 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: 4 Prehensile Tails +13 melee (1d6+3) and Bite +8 melee (2d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft (10ft with Tails)
    Special Attacks: Tails
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 14/Natural or Washed, Low Light Vision
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +15*, Will +13
    Abilities: Str: 16/+3 Dex: 22/+6 Con: 16/+3 Int: 16/+3 Wis: 18/+4 Cha: 20/+5
    Skills: Bluff +22*, Diplomacy +9*, Disguise +24*, Hide +23*, Jump +33, Listen +21, Move Silently +23*, Sense Motive +21, Spot +21, Tumble +23*
    Feats: Dodge, Elusive TargetComplete Warrior, Mobility, Spring Attack [Seriously, count this as Shot on the Run too]
    Environment: Asia
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: Robes [unique to each], 1 ring, 1 amulet
    Alignment: Usually Chaotic
    Advancement: 15-24 HD [Medium]

Combat
    Cunning [Ex]: Thanks to its preternatural reflexes and intellect, the Huli-jing adds its Wisdom bonus to its defence as a Dodge bonus.

Dispel Vulnerability [Sp]: Being fundamentally magical, Huli-jing instinctively improve their abilities with magic. If they are subjected to a dispel effect that can strip off protections, they lose 4 points of their Dexterity and Charisma and have their movement speed reduced to 40ft. They may recoup this as a Standard action.
    While this dispel is in effect, all values marked with an "*" are reduced by -2. Mechanically, the Huli-jing counts as having Persistent versions of Eagle's Splendor, Cat's Grace and Expedious Retreat active constantly.

Dissolve: When slain, a Huli-jing reverts to its original form, that of a mortal fox.

Dream Manifestation: While it continues to wave its rokubi, a Huli-jing projects itself into the dreams of a sleeping being within 30ft. While inside, it may replicate the effects of either a Nightmare or Dream. Saves apply as normal. A given target may be affected by this ability no more than once per night, whether they save or not.

Favoured Form [Ex]: Despite being sufficiently flighty to leave tells, most Huli-jing have the ability to adopt one specific human form without chance of leaving tells. This is their favoured form and is usually only set if the kitsune takes a human mate. Regardless, they may maintain this form for as long as they please and it is not flawed unless they are totally disrupted by failing a massive damage save.

Flight: By waving its Goubi, a Huli-jing replaces its other movement speeds with a Fly speed of 140ft (ground movement x 2) with perfect manoeuvrability until their next turn.

Foxfire: Foxfire is a kind of magical energy that manifests constantly as an orb balanced on the sanbi of the Huli-jing [or sometimes carried in the mouth]. This can be fired as a Standard action; a ranged attack that deals 4d6 damage. Waving the sanbi accumulates additional dice at a rate of two dice per action spent waving. Additional energy dissipates if left unstimulated for a whole round. A bijuu may store no more than 2d6 per tail it possesses.

Human form: The Huli-jing can wave its tail to make a change in appearance to a human of their choice; either one seen or an imaginary one. Doing so requires a "tails check" [1d20 + number of tails] against the mimicked target's Charisma score. Each point of failure leaves a tell in the disguise. This power grants a +20 bonus to Disguise checks, -5 per tell. This ability lasts for ten minutes and can be renewed with further waves of the tail.

Illusionary Aspect: By waving its Yonbi, a Huli-jing can make edits to the world around them. The Kitsune counts as casting Major Image, save that it has a duration of "sustained" and lasts as long as the kitsune maintains the image.

Possession: Wrapping its Shichibi around a victim [a Standard action during a Grapple; you don't wave this one], a Huli-jing is able to penetrate the mind of it's victim and take possession of it. This ability functions identically to demonic possession [see Fiendish codex 1 or BoVD], save that their body is absorbed into the victim too.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium F Thing 7 CP 9
    Init: + 9 , Senses: Listen + 24 , Observation +24
    Languages: Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Fuchian
    Defence: 17 Flatfooted: 10, +6* Swift action
    Hardness: DR 7/Natural or Washed
    HD: 7d6 + 21 + 16 Hp: 61
    Massive Damage: 16
    Thresholds: Green, [ 30 ] Yellow, [ 15 ] Orange, [ 3 ] Red
    Fort: + 6 Reflex: + 9* Will: + 9 Psyche: 31* Tussle: 20
    Speed: 70ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft
    Ranged: +9* Foxfire (4d6 Electricity, Range 40ft)

Melee: +9*/+9* Prehensile Tails (1d6+3 plus Disarming Claw Fist)
    +4* Bite (2d6+3 plus Disarming Claw Fist)

BAB: + 3 Grapple: +10
    Special Actions:
    • Armour Hook Fist [Standard; roll Sleight of Hand against Tussle. If succeed, reduce target's armour negation penalty by 1. Unarmed Threats allow additional rolls]
    • Charge Foxfire [Swift; Foxfire deals +2d6 damage. Used round on round, damage cap is 14d6.]
    • Disarming Claw Fist [Form; attack Threats; roll Disarm instead of critical confirmation]
    • Gluefingers [Standard; make Tail attack, if hits and exceeds Tussle, steal an item from victim.]
    • Steal Intention [Immediate; redirect attack from flanking attacker to his flanking partner]
    • Thief's Stance [Swift; enter stance. While in stance, learn 4 items possessed by target each time you hit them. +6 on Sleight of Hand checks vs targets you have hit.]

Abilities: Str: 16/+3 Dex: 22/+6 Con: 16/+3 Int: 16/+3 Wis: 18/+4 Cha: 20/+5
    SQ: Dissolve, Tweening

Feats: Extra Tail x6B, Fisticuffs, Sticky Fingers Style, Merciless Theft, Weapon Finesse

Skills: Athletics +18, Bluff +20*, Gather Information, Hide +24*, Listen +24, Move Silently +24*, Observation +22, Sleight of Hand +21*
    Special Abilities:
    Dispel Vulnerability: Being fundamentally magical, Huli-jing instinctively improve their abilities with magic. If they are subjected to a dispel effect that can strip off protections, they lose 4 points of their Dexterity and Charisma and have their movement speed reduced to 40ft. They may recoup this by using the Shake it Off action successfully.
    While this dispel is in effect, all values marked with an "*" are reduced by -2.

Dissolve: When slain, a Huli-jing reverts to its original form, that of a mortal fox.

Dream Manifestation: While it continues to wave its rokubi, a Huli-jing projects itself into the dreams of a sleeping being within 30ft. While inside, it may use its Illusionary Aspect ability as a Standard action, creating up to one glammer aspect per HD it possesses. This can be used either to create a Dreamscape or to shape and wander the dreams of the target; this latter option is used to tease facts from the minds of the victim, allowing him to make a Gather Information check on the inside of the victim's mind.
    If you would prefer not to use a Dreamscape, the Huli-jing may attempt to inflict any two of Rage, Good Hope, Crushing Despair and/or Fear on the victim. A Will save, DC 18*, negates both of these effects.

Favoured Form [Ex]: Despite being sufficiently flighty to leave tells, most Huli-jing have the ability to adopt one specific human form without chance of leaving tells. This is their favoured form and is usually only set if the kitsune takes a human mate. Regardless, they may maintain this form for as long as they please and it is not flawed unless they are totally disrupted by failing a massive damage save.

Flight: By waving its Goubi, a Huli-jing replaces its other movement speeds with a Fly speed of 140ft (ground movement x 2) with perfect manoeuvrability until their next turn.

Human form: The Huli-jing can wave its tail to make a change in appearance to a human of their choice; either one seen or an imaginary one. Doing so requires a "tails check" [1d20 + number of tails] against the mimicked target's Charisma score. Each point of failure leaves a tell in the disguise. This power grants a +20 bonus to Disguise checks, -5 per tell. This ability lasts for ten minutes and can be renewed with further waves of the tail.

Illusionary Aspect: By waving its Yonbi, a Huli-jing can make edits to the world around them. The Kitsune creates a number of glammer aspects equal to the number of tails they possess. Theirs is a limited form of illusion, however, and they can create no more than one creature at a time. See Fear Derrig

Possession: Wrapping its Shichibi around a victim [a Standard action during a Grapple; you don't wave this one], a Huli-jing is able to penetrate the mind of it's victim and take possession of it. This ability functions identically to the Spirit Possession upgrade, save that their body is absorbed into the victim too. The Huli-jing, as standard, possesses the Mutterer and Enemy/Ally abilities, but more malevolent ones possess Puppeteer and Transformer instead.
    • Ally/Enemy The Spirit can communicate with the ridden victim and can then grant a +4 bonus or -4 penalty to one of the victim's statistics for as long as it wishes and is able to revoke it as an Immediate action. This is used to encourage obedient victims and punish those that disobey.
    • Mutterer The spirit constantly bombards the victim's mind with crap, driving them towards madness. The victim must make a Will save, DC 10 + Spirit level, each round that the mutterer continues his antics or behave like he is Confused.
    • Puppeteer The spirit completely supplants the mind of the victim, placing them in a deep coma while using their body for its own purposes. Attempting to do this forces the victim to make a Fort save, DC 10 + Spirit Level, or fall unconscious. The body doesn't fall, instead the spirit animates the body and does what it wishes. The spirit may choose physical stat adjustment Quirks and apply them to its victim as well as itself should they apply.
    • Transformer The spirit forcibly imprints a form on the victim. The victim must make a Fort save, DC 16 bonus or take on an appearance specified when this Upgrade is selected. This may impose one minor penalty and one Quirk level upgrade on the victim and changes the cosmetic appearance of the body. All DCs to drive out the spirit increase by +5 and the victim reverts to their original form if the spirit is driven out or they are killed.

Stepping Behind: By waving its nibi, the disturbs the patina of reality, making the seams blurry and penetrable. In any round that it waves this tail, the Huli-jing is able to Tween through Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath, Abstract Boundaries, Shadows and at times of Dusk and Dawn, Moments.

New Feats [MV]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For more information on how Style feats work in MV, check here
    Sticky Hands Style [Style]:
    You are schooled in a ridiculous style of fighting based around taking things of others in combat while still successfully slapping them around.
    Prerequisites: Fisticuffs or Martial Arts, Sleight of Hand 5 ranks
    Description: You gain access to the following moves:
    Gluefingers [Strike]: Your unarmed attacks are set up in such a way that they snatch and grab at the flesh, along with the victim's valuables. Standard action. You make an unarmed attack against the target. If the attack roll exceeds both the target's Defence and Tussle, in addition to the normal effects of the attack, you snatch an object stored on their person, though it must be stored under no more than two layers of material. Gluefingers may be combined with itself.

Thief's Stance [Stance]: Your keen eyes allow you to find every worthwhile trinket on your opponents. While in this stance, each time you hit an opponent, you determine one object on their person, plus an additional one per 5 ranks of Observation you possess, that the taking of which will improve your lot. In combat, this generally means stripping your opponent of resources, though you may designate Spoils if you wish.

Merciless Theft [Style]:
    You are more than able to remove both the health and property of your enemies in swift, precise actions.
    Prerequisites: Fisticuffs or Martial Arts, Sticky Hands Style, Sleight of Hand 8 ranks
    Description: You gain access to the following moves:
    Armour Hook Fist [Strike]:You specifically target the opponent's armour, plucking at straps and pulling plates off. Standard action. Roll a Sleight of Hand check against the target's Tussle. If you succeed, the victim's Armour's bypass modifier [-4 to hit for Partial armour, -8 for Full, treat Total as -12] is decreased by one. If your roll would threaten a critical on your unarmed attacks, you may roll another Sleight of hand check to remove an additional point of the penalty.

Disarming Claw Fist [Form]: You have learned to target the enemy's hands so you can snatch their weapons. When you threaten a Critical Hit, you may opt to instead roll a Disarm check in place of rolling to confirm. Doing so does not provoke attacks of opportunity, nor can your opponent respond if you fail.

Steal Intention [Counter]: You have mastered the art of taking your opponent's dignity from them in combat, causing them to make mistakes lethal to their allies. When attacked by an opponent that flanks you, you may use this to cause their attack to be resolved against their friend with a penalty equal to the bonus they would have gained for flanking [so flanking improvements help protect them].

Ok...got through this and realised that the D&D version can't really use the extra feats as written, so I'm going to hae to have a bit of a think about it...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Shouldn't the Initiative and skills have some asterisks next to them?

Also, your note next to the feats should have a closing parenthesis.

Final thoughts; looks fantastic. Really like the fluff and the execution.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsuchigumo [Ground Spiders]:
    The Tsuchigumo, literally "Ground Spiders," are what folklorists refer to as a demonised precursor. Their origins seem to be with the tall, thin stock of humanity that the proto-Japanese [the Wa people] found on the islands when they invaded. Over time, they were portrayed with greater and greater spider like characteristics until they had become a living and twisted memory. By their own records, they fought Raiko and were nearly obliterated by the early Imperial Armies; their numbers were swelled by the guerrilla troublemakers that legend records as the ninja in later times and they hid, hit themselves away from the samurai and subsequent governments.

Physically, a Tsuchigumo looks rather like a human with dwarfism whose limbs have been stretched to they stand nearly six and a half feet tall with arms that reach down close to their knees. Their skin has a matt, papery quality and is dark like the colour of mud; their eyes are perfectly round and their mouth slightly downturned with very active lips, only helping to further their spider-like reputation.

Rather than attempting to remain neutral, the vast majority of the Tsuchigumo have taken sides with the traditionalists in the Oukamisenso [war of the great spirits], even though many of their allies would prefer it if they had not. Their pragmatic streak has led them to become adept with guns and foreign powered equipment, incorporating them into their ninja-like teachings, much to the consternation of the other traditionalist factions. Needless to say, however, this pragmatism is serving the cause better than any pride has elsewhere.
    D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The example here uses a level 2 Pathfinder rogue as its base.

Small Humanoid (Fae, Human)
    Hit Dice: 2d8+3 (12 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30ft (6 squares), Climb 20ft See also Quadruped Stride
    Armor Class: 18 (+4 Chain Shirt, +3 Dexterity, +1 Size), touch 14, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
    Attack: Shuriken +5 ranged (1d2+1 plus Poison, range 10ft) or Dagger +3 melee (1d4+1, 19/x2 plus Poison)
    Full Attack: Shuriken +3/+3 ranged (1d2+1 plus Poison, range 10ft)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +1d6, Bleeding Strike +1
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 2/Natural
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +1
    Abilities: Str: 12/+1 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 12/+1 Int: 8/-1 Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 10/+0
    Skills: Climb +12, Hide +10, Jump +6 [+10 quadrupedal], Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Spot +6, Tumble +6
    Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Shuriken)B, Two Weapon Fighting
    Environment: Forest
    Organization: Solitary, Team (1-4), Expedition (1-4 plus 1-2 Jorougumo plus 2-8 Kitsune plus 0-1 Huli-jing)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Gear only
    Alignment: Usually Neutral
    Advancement: by Class Favoured Class: Rogue/Ninja
    Level Adjustment: +1

Combat
    Dissolve: When killed, a Tshuchigumo reverts to its true form, that of a human with pronounced genetic dwarfism.

Quadruped Stride [Ex]: If moving on all fours with nothing in their hands, Tsuchigumo increase their movement speeds by +10ft.

Poison [ex]: Tsuchigumo treat all of their weapons with poison that is identical in game terms to Drow Poison [DC 13, Primary: unconsciousness for 1 minute, Secondary; unconsciousness for 2d4 hours].

Unseen Webs [Ex]: All members of the Tsuchigumo tribes have the skills needed to weave their webs; actually a form of powerfully adhesive f-craft thread. By gathering a handful of fibrous material such as hemp or grass and rubbing it between their hands, the tsuchigumo can create enough threads to carpet a 5ft square as a Full action. Those who enter the area are Entangled; a Reflex save, DC 10 + HD + Constitution modifier, reduces this to Slowed. A Tsuchigumo may produce a maximum number of squares so trapped at a time equal to his Constitution modifier plus his HD. If new squares are trapped, older ones dissipate in order of age.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stats below are for an experienced field agent.

Small F Humanoid (Human) 1, Agent 2 CP 2
    Init: + 6 , Senses: Listen 13 , Observation 17 Low-light Vision
    Languages: Japanese, Wa (old Japanese)
    Defence: 12 Flatfooted: 11 +3 Swift action
    Hardness: 2/8 [p] + DR 3/Natural = 5
    HD: 3d8 + 3 + 12 Hp: 28
    Massive Damage: 12
    Thresholds: Green, [ 14 ] Yellow, [ 7 ] Orange, [ 2 ] Red
    Fort: + 4 Reflex: + 6 Will: + 2 Psyche: 14 Tussle: 13
    Speed: 30ft, Climb 20ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft
    Ranged: +5 Revolver w/Hollow Points (2d10, Range 40ft)
    +5 Poisoned Shuriken (1d2+1 plus 2d6 Subdual plus 1 Subdual Bleed, Crit 18/x2, Thrown 20ft)

Melee: +5 Combat Knife (1d4+1, Crit 17/x3)
    +5 Unarmed (1d8+1, Crit 20/x2 plus 1d6 Subdual)

BAB: + 1 Grapple: +2
    Special Actions:
    • Aim [Move; +3 damage]
    • Camouflage [Free; Hide without Concealment in forest terrain]
    • Fly with Chopsticks [Swift; catch thrown weapons as AoO, throw back as Immediate action]
    • Shuriken Flurry [Standard; throw 3 shuriken to make one shuriken attack with a +8 bonus]
    • Sneak Attack [Attack hits flanked or flatfooted target; +1d6 damage]
    • Unseen Webs [Full; create a 5ft square of Entangling web, Reflex DC 12/Slowed]

Combat Gear: 6 x triple shuriken, 2 revolver reloads, 3 doses of generic antitoxin
    Abilities: Str: 12/+1 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 12/+1 Int: 8/-1 Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 10/+0
    SQ: Gangly, Quadruped Stride

Feats: ContactsB, Shurikenjutsu, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Proficiency (Shuriken)B

Skills: Athletics +6 (Climb +14), Escapistry +7, Hide +13, Listen +3, Move Silently +12, Observation +7, Sleight of Hand +6

Possessions: Combat Gear plus 6 quickdraw shuriken bandoleers, impermeable, revolver, combat knife
    Special Abilities:
    Dissolve: When killed, a Tshuchigumo reverts to its true form, that of a human with pronounced genetic dwarfism.

Quadruped Stride [Ex]: If moving on all fours with nothing in their hands, Tsuchigumo increase their movement speeds by +10ft.

Quickdraw Holster: A quickdraw shuriken holster is a simple device that has three tubes containing spike shuriken. All three are grabbed between the second joints of the fingers and thrown as a trio. When used by a Tsuchigumo with shurikenjutsu, the central spike is treated with a mix of class 1 injury sedative and class 2 weakness injury poison. Many consider these devices a waste of ammunition. Drawing from a quickdraw holster is a free action.

Unseen Webs [Ex]: All members of the Tsuchigumo tribes have the skills needed to weave their webs; actually a form of powerfully adhesive f-craft thread. By gathering a handful of fibrous material such as hemp or grass and rubbing it between their hands, the tsuchigumo can create enough threads to carpet a 5ft square as a Full action. Those who enter the area are Entangled; a Reflex save, DC 10 + HD + Constitution modifier, reduces this to Slowed. A Tsuchigumo may produce a maximum number of squares so trapped at a time equal to his Constitution modifier plus his HD. If new squares are trapped, older ones dissipate in order of age.

Tsuchigumo Racial Traits [Both]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Humanoid [Human, F]: The "first inhabitants" of Japan are human, as far as it counts, but also fairies. They have all the weaknesses and strengths of a f creature.
    • Ability Modifiers: +4 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence. Tsuchigumo are incredibly fast and brutal but not particularly able to adapt or think their way around problems.
    • Small: Tsuchigumo have a tiny body on long, spindly limbs and count as Small creatures. They gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls, Reflex saves and Defence, along with a +4 bonus on Hide and Escapistry. Due to their Gangly special ability, below, they do not suffer any of the detriments of this size category.
    • Speed: 30ft, Climb 20ft
    • Adaption to the Modern: While most Oriental spirit races, and most spirit races in general, are resistant to modernity, the Tsuchigumo have adapted and thrived. They add a +1 bonus to all damage made with guns or powered weapons and receive a +2 bonus on all Craft checks to make and maintain such things.
    • Dissolve: If slain, a Tsuchigumo returns to its true form, that of a human with congenital dwarfism [usually of the type associated with Diastrophic dysplasia]
    • DR: As f, Tsuchigumo gain DR X/Natural, where X is their total character level.
    • Gangly: Thanks to their long, thin but very strong limbs, Tsuchigumo have the normal reach, space and weapon sizes as a Medium creature. They suffer no penalty to Grapple for their size.
    • Low Light Vision: Tsuchigumo can see twice as far as humans in poor lighting conditions.
    • Quadruped Stride [Ex]: If moving on all fours with nothing in their hands, Tsuchigumo increase their movement speeds by +10ft.
    • Senses: Cave and deep forest dwellers, Tsuchigumo gain a +2 bonus to Listen and Observation/Spot checks.
    • Unseen Webs [Ex]: All members of the Tsuchigumo tribes have the skills needed to weave their webs; actually a form of powerfully adhesive f-craft thread. By gathering a handful of fibrous material such as hemp or grass and rubbing it between their hands, the tsuchigumo can create enough threads to carpet a 5ft square as a Full action. Those who enter the area are Entangled; a Reflex save, DC 10 + HD + Constitution modifier, reduces this to Slowed. A Tsuchigumo may produce a maximum number of squares so trapped at a time equal to his Constitution modifier plus his HD. If new squares are trapped, older ones dissipate in order of age.
    • Weapon Proficiency (Shuriken): Because it's basically a sport, all Tsuchigumo learn to throw Shuriken.
    • Null levels: 1 [+1d8 HD, +2 Fortitude saves, +0 on all others].
    • LA: +1

Lore:
    {table]DC|Information

2|Don't go in the woods. You won't come back

7|Tsuchigumo are servants of old and forgotten gods; they eat people

12|They hide in the woods and act like bandits but people rarely see them coming.

17|They climb so swiftly that you're lucky to be able to confront them at all, not least their poisonous Shuriken

22|Tsuchigumo poison is noticeably susceptible to Antitoxin, making the stuff a worthwhile investment.

27| Possibly as a result of long persecution by the Japanese, Tsuchigumo are very vulnerable to katana. Any non-magical masterwork weapon can bypass their DR as if it were of natural make.[/table]

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 07:02 PM.