Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Byakuren. She, like Optimus Prime, died for your sins.*

*Not really. But still, the youkai Jesus thing is endlessly amusing. It is a tough decision though, as Kogasa and Shou are both very cute.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, look who I found.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm starting to think Chiyuri isn't found here, though. I know she can be seen at Icefall Cave.

It's actually a pretty close race now between Byakuren and Kogasa. Vote will still continue, because I'm moving into a new apartment today, and don't have the time to be writing another segment.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

3. - Top - End - #363

The path between Lavender and Fuchsia, Routes 12-15, are very long and very boring, filled with tons and tons of random trainers. To stave off the boredom, I had to think of...something.

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 5-3

Spoiler
    Show
    A girl flying around on an umbrella? There could only be one name for this...

Given all the experiences spread among an ever-growing team, some training between sessions is often necessary. But this is when I get to exercise my munchkin tendencies, which permits me to do whatever when it really matters.

As awesome as getting a giant purple umbrella to join my team, something even greater happened today. Yes, something that made everything that this world has shown me just click together. While traveling back up the enormous route between Fuchsia City and Lavender Town, I had a lot of time to think as I mindless hacked my way through dozens of trainers. All this thinking made me realize just what was going on in this world. At last, everything is starting to make sense.

I believe I've finally figured out what world this is. It's not the Gensokyo I once thought it was. It may be something entirely different. I think it may actually be...the afterlife.

Now, OK, I know I sound absolutely insane right now, but bear with me for a moment here. I'm not saying it's the afterlife because I have definitive proof that everyone here is dead; far from it! No, I'm saying it because everything around me reminds me of something I've seen some time ago, back in the real world. In the real world, it was regarded merely as a piece of fiction, but here, it seems like fiction has taken on a life of its own. Which, if you think about it, makes perfect sense, given the nature of Gensokyo. Of course, it's not identical to what it was like back when I knew it; a whole ton of things have been changed. But many of the principles which governed the world appear to be the same, and from that I can extrapolate more.

Earlier, I had said that this wasn't Gensokyo. Perhaps I should have clarified a bit: this isn't the main world that I knew as Gensokyo. Perhaps it's an afterlife that's connected to Gensokyo itself, and thus was able to manifest despite originally being fiction. Hey, Gensokyo already has like half a dozen different versions of the afterlife; what's one more? I'd venture to guess that when I was trying to enter Gensokyo, I just missed and accidentally stumbled upon one of its afterlives instead.

Allow me to present the reasons why I believe this world to be a fictionalized afterlife, as well as my own conjectures:

Exhibit A: The people appear to know, and even come from, specific areas of the real world (like Lt. Surge). However, they appear to be trapped here, as though this place were some sort of purgatory or limbo. In order to leave, so to speak, perhaps they have to accomplish a certain task of some sort.

Exhibit B: Only some of the people in this world appear to be what I will now refer to as "Player Characters". The rest are all "Non-Player Characters", who have minimal interaction with PCs. They still serve to assist the PCs in a limited role, or possibly antagonize them at times. Older people seem to have a much greater likelyhood of being NPCs. This explains why law enforcement is so terrible here: they're all NPCs!

(Yes, I know I sound crazy using these silly terms here. Who knew the afterlife was an RPG?)

Exhibit C: PCs have been given notable powers through tools, in the form of Touhoumon. This gives them the capacity for combat, should they desire so. This must be why there are so many children running around unattended: they have the means to protect themselves. (And, morbidly speaking, they're dead, so their parents aren't around.)

Exhibit D: I still have not heard of a single instance of anyone dying in this world anywhere, but all the way back at Lavender Town, I remember reading some sign about being "erased". Why the euphemism? Simply put: people can no longer die here, only disappear.

Exhibit E: There appears to be some sort of dark force capable of hypnotizing NPCs and brainwashing them into conformity zombies. I know just where I've seen this before.

Exhibit F: Sinister math nerds. That is all.

And here are a few more of my guesses, if the world operates according to what I'm envisioning:

Conjecture #1: The arbiters of this world must follow specific rules in order for people to disappear. They can't just go making people vanish willy-nilly. The PCs thus have some degree of control over what happens to them.

Conjecture #2: The identity of the arbiters may be none other than the gym leaders, who attempt to enforce obedience to the rules of this afterlife game. PCs are allowed to challenge them for some reason.

Conjecture #3: I myself, since I am not dead yet, must serve a different purpose here in this world. It should be my duty, then, to help those who are playing in earnest.

Oh, wait, I still haven't mentioned what I think this place is yet? Isn't it obvious? There's only one possible fictional work that satisfies all of the observations I just mentioned. Sure, it's not identical, but I feel confident in my assumption that this world at least follows the same rules. All we're missing is the amnesiac protagonist, and then we'll be good to go! As for the work itself? Well, I suppose I should just come out and say it for those who haven't figured it out yet.

I'm in the world of Angel Beats!

Now all I have to do is find an emotionally repressed girl with awesome powers and team up with her to battle the evil forces of Haruhi Suzumiya those who refuse to play by the system while helping people move on to the next step of the afterlife. Whew, that's a mouthful. Well, that's anime for you.

If my hunches are correct, then I ought to start acting the part. If this world really is a limbo where those who die young get to live out their lives to the fullest before moving on, then I should help them out. All right, let's get started!

Hey, kid. What's your dream?

An admirable dream, to be sure. Let me give you some pointers, then. First off, when facing an opponent with superior levels, you can't just take the direct approach, even if you are using super-effective attacks. I'll have the advantage in a straightforward damage race. Instead, you should value making my Touhoumon skip turns with paralysis and other effects.

There you go! That was good. But remember, you can't just rest on those laurels. What if your opponent had a cleric on their side to heal away negative status effects? Now you're in trouble again! You need to prioritize eliminating key targets before cruising to victory. For example, say your opponent has a strong physical wall. You need to lure it out, maybe trap it, then defeat it first, before sending out your physical sweeper to clean up.

Chin up, you'll get it one day. Keep at it!

All right, who's next?

You want your Touhoumon to be happy? Well, happiness is something that's easily measurable with numbers! Remember that happiness gains diminish the higher your current happiness level is, and that much of it is gained through leveling up or walking around with the Touhoumon in your party, although grooming and vitamins also work. Contrary to popular belief, winning battles, giving hold items, getting status afflictions, or putting a Touhoumon in the PC all have no bearing on happiness values. Oh, and don't worry about the fact that I just caused your Touhoumon to faint. That only decreases the value by a mere 1 point.

And you say you want Carbos? It's great for raising speed EVs, but if you can't afford it there are a multitude of ways to get the same results. EV gains are independent of level, so defeating many weak wild Touhoumon will get you lots of EVs with relatively little experience gain or effort, raising your stats quickly. If you want speed EVs, the multitude of common chibi Chens and Mystias on Route 1 are a good target.

You want a great big catch? Well, I don't really know much about fishing...I'll pass.

You want a Moon Stone? Well, I guess I do have one lying around somewhere, but...they're pretty valuable...eh...I think I'd rather keep it. Sorry.

(OK, so maybe I'm not so good at this "helping people move on" kind of thing.)

Oh, bother. Another one of these turtles blocking the way.

Thankfully, Magical Mary has just learned the perfect thing to send you packing. Eat super-effective 95 base power with STAB!

All right, back to helping people!

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to, I mean...oh, why do you have to make this so difficult? Marriage should be such a joyous thing, one that's certainly enough to make you both disappear and move on, and yet...a thousand apologies!

Wow, I'm really not very good at this, am I? OK, just one more time...

You say you want employment? Have you considered a staffing agency? OK, I don't really know if those actually exist around here, but they're a great resource for-

Oh snap!

Go Magical Mary! You're now at the pinnacle of your power, ready to annihilate all that stand before you in a blaze of glory and-

Oh, wait, the fisherman dude. Ah, uh...what were we talking about again? Something about catching a big fish?

So, it looks like Magical Mary went from being one of my weaker characters to being death on a broomstick. Fun.

Fuchsia Gym is up next. Any requests for whom I should use? A few other characters might be close to evolving now too...
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

For the Fuchsia gym, Mukyue, Shinku, Miyazaki, Poppins, Tachikoma and Magic Mary. Several of them are resistant to poison type attacks, not to mention that there might be several bug or grass type touhoumon in Koga's gym.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Mukyue learned Flamethrower": ah, the three sweetest words kinda-sorta in the English language.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

Can we get a list of the Touhoumon you have at the moment? I'm liable to forget some otherwise and that would be a shame.

Also Maribel seems to have a rather large blind spot to miss which afterlife she has ended up in a variant of. But i guess even nerdy psychology students might not catch everything.

7. - Top - End - #367

Here's what our current team looks like, in order of recruitment:

EX Marisa - Electric/Fire, special sweeper
    Alice - Ice/Psychic, special sweeper
    Ran - Ground/Psychic, physical sweeper
    Wriggle - Bug, cleric
    Aya - Normal/Flying, physical sweeper
    Patchouli - Psychic, special sweeper
    Yamame - Bug/Ground, tank
    Meiling - Fighting, physical wall
    Youmu - Ghost/Steel, physical sweeper
    Kogasa - Ghost/Flying, tank

A few notes: Steel is no longer immune to Poison; it's now only resistant to it. Also, one of Koga's strongest Touhoumon (lvl 45 EX Hina) is very fast and packs Shadowball, which will probably OHKO a good number of our team.

Bonus! Yeah, I know it sucks that I was only able to pick one member of the UFO team, especially since they actually make a very balanced and strong team on their their own. Here's what might have been:

Spoiler
    Show

This was my team from another save file...

Sorry I couldn't get poor Nazrin in there!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

I suggest being on lookout for a CSonic.

It might help you, I guess. Eventually.

And argh, EIchirin is Fighting/Normal? Fighting/Ghost would be a lot cooler. Damn. Also wow, Pure Power.

As for the next gym, I suggest CRUSHING PUNY LITTLE GIRLS WITH THE POWER OF CHINA. And firing beams at them with Marisa just because.

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Randfeon View Post
    And argh, EIchirin is Fighting/Normal? Fighting/Ghost would be a lot cooler. Damn. Also wow, Pure Power.
    I think Ichirin is Fighting/Normal because Unzan is Fighting and Ichirin is Normal (seriously, does she have any distinguishing features on her own?). And yes, Pure Power is ridiculous on that pair. 276 attack at level 55? Absolutely insane! (And I didn't even give her an attack-boosting nature! Can you imagine 300+ attack at that level?)

There is a Fighting/Ghost type in this game, though. It's actually one of the legendaries, which was name-dropped by a random trainer in the previous segment.

Also, I'll admit I chuckled at the visual pun with Kanade and Sonic.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-06-08 at 04:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

...yeah, Shadowball spam is going to be a problem with our team. Make sure to bring Tachikoma to tank and whittle the HP down (she has good enough defenses to take it, right? I haven't actually played Touhoumon to know how good a tank Yamame is), and Asakura for a finisher (being Normal type, she's immune to Shadowball, which I think is likely the enemy's biggest offensive move, right?).

Miyazaki will make a great hitter for the whole gym, being double resistant to poison, but shouldn't be faced with Hina at all. Believe it! is also likely to come in handy - psychic means supereffectiveness, and Ground means extra resistance - but again, Shadowball is death. Then, if Mary already has fire attacks on hand, we can bring her to deal with the Grass types in the place. Sixth place is up to you, though I'd personally consider Wriggle.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I just found this today. It's quite interesting.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Banned

Going completely for personal preference and not for a moment thinking about what will or will not be effective i am going to say:

Meiling, as if anybody was in doubt.
    Ran, for some reason always had a soft spot for Kitsune, but powerful, responsible ones that have to take care of lazy gods? That's just awesome.
    Patchy
    Aya
    Youmu
    And...let's just go with Marisa. She just evolved so she should get to show off and be all smug about.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

I agree with Asakura as a secret anti-Shadowball weapon.

And no, Ichirin doesn't really have any defining traits. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that even ZUN says she's pretty much there so Unzan can have a hitbox.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Mukyue should also be pretty close to evolving...

15. - Top - End - #375
    Banned

Does this require reposting? (No linking allowed, so just re-load the page that appears)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-06-09 at 02:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Does this require reposting? (No linking allowed, so just re-load the page that appears)
    It's funny because in Touhoumon, Preach is an actual move. And yes, Byakuren learns it (as well as Shikieiki, of course).

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    I think I lol'd most at the "Pulchritude" bar. Reference to MS Paint Adventures?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-06-09 at 02:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378

Oh tiny Suika bathing in Yuugi's sake bowl, I wish you were real and available as a pet or mascot or something. If we ever get laptop persocoms, you'll be mine.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Oh tiny Suika bathing in Yuugi's sake bowl, I wish you were real and available as a pet or mascot or something. If we ever get laptop persocoms, you'll be mine.
    Kara Kuro made some.

20. - Top - End - #380

This was probably my favorite gym challenge yet to do. I got to use everyone who received at least 2 votes as well.

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 5-4

Spoiler
    Show
    OK...I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. It seems those assumptions I made last time about being in the afterlife of Angel Beats! wasn't quite on the mark. No matter what I try, no one seems to be disappearing when I make them happy. Or maybe I'm just really bad at this kind of thing.

I tried again when I got back to Fuchsia. This time, the good deed was to deliver those gold teeth I found to the Safari Zone warden. But rather than moving on to the next step of the afterlife, he just gave me another HM. Lame.

Don't get me wrong; having China-Li kick boulders around like they were plushies is pretty fun. It's just that I thought I finally managed to figure this place out, but it looks like I'm way off the mark here.

Ah well. Thinking that I somehow managed to gap myself into the afterlife is kind of stupid, anyway. Like that could ever happen!

So, to blow off some steam, I thought I'd go check out the local Fuchsia Gym. I think I still need those badges if I want to complete whatever it is I set off to accomplish (it's been so long, I kind of forgot). Wouldn't you know it, though, these gyms seem to be getting more and more complicated. What happened to the single mook mixing up his astronomical units? I miss those days.

Ha, Reapers? What is this, Soul Society? Nice try, pal, but I'm not buying the whole afterlife explanation anymore. I've learned my lesson by now!

The Fuchsia Gym looked like a large simple room, but obstructing my path were a multitude of invisible barriers. In order to get past them, it looks like I'll have to deal with these flunkies first.

The flunkies seemed to have the ability to lift the barriers, but they required me to complete a challenge of some sort first. Oftentimes it was just defeating them in battle, but there were a few weirder requests.

Personally, I don't like the idea of degrading myself in front of a glorified gatekeeper just to pass through. I don't mind the battles, as I'm used to them now, but there's no way I would put up with any more of the sillier requests.

Case in point: this next guy wanted me to change in front of him. As if! Luckily, I found that regardless of the request, if I simply use brute force to beat him up, he'll have to eventually yield and let me through anyway.

It seems like the rest of the gatekeepers got word of what I was doing, and became increasingly more lenient towards me anyway.

Isn't it amazing just what the threat of violence can do to make people so much more agreeable?

And speaking of gatekeepers...

It looks like all the barriers have been cleared, and all the flunkies are now cowering before my feet. Excellent. Time to do in the main man himself.

First post of this thread has been updated with pictures of our current team, by the way.

All right! Let's start Chapter 6 off early with another vote for a new character right away! This is the big one: nearly every PC-98 character, courtesy of the Safari Zone. Although realistically, I can already narrow down who'd win to 3 choices or so (prove me wrong!). In order of their appearance in the games:

A. Mima (Dark/Ghost, mixed sweeper)
    B. Meira (Steel, physical sweeper)
    C. Ellen (Psychic, special sweeper or screen pseudo-passer)
    D. Kotohime (Normal, annoyer with gimmicky moves)
    E. Kana Anaberal (Ghost, staller/tank)
    F. Rikako Asakura (Psychic, special sweeper/support)
    G. Yumemi Okazaki (Fire/Ice, special sweeper)
    H. Orange (Normal, damage sponge)
    I. Kurumi (Dark, annoyer)
    J. Elly (Fighting, physical sweeper)
    K. Mugetu (Normal, cleric/baton passer/support in general)
    L. Gengetu (Dark/Flying, physical or mixed sweeper)
    M. Sara (Fighting, physical wall)
    N. Luize (Normal, annoyer)
    O. Yuki (Fire, special sweeper)
    P. Mai (Ice/Dark, special sweeper)
    Q. Yumeko (Steel, physical sweeper)
    R. Shinki (Dark/Psychic, special sweeper)

There...I think that's all of them from before. Hope I didn't miss anyone (Rika and Chiyuri aren't here, I think).

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

Someone please give the poor girl a couple of TWEWY, seeing her hilariously wrong assumptions about what is going on is just sad. Also it's a good game, she should get to enjoy it.

Anyway i am going to baffle you with who i vote for. I say Orange, we need to save her from the mean Reimu. Poor girl, attacked while being unrelated and not even trying to stop the main characters.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

I choose...

S. None of the Above

None of the PC-98 stuff or characters really interests me.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Orc in the Playground

Well, since I know next to nothing about any of these characters, I'll place a vote on Orange too, because I like the name.

And then let's nickname her Apple.

Also, Ex-Tachikoma looks awesome.
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-06-10 at 08:26 AM.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

So Sasha is also in this game. Does the fan character whose existence makes absolutely no sense what so ever in the context of Subterranean Animism also make an appearance?

My vote is for Orange and nickname her Meiling.

25. - Top - End - #385

I dunno any of these characters so I'll roll a die for it. 4. Kotohime it is.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Banned

Rikako.

SCIENCE!
    And meganekkos.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground

This was said before in your Labyrinth of Touhou lets play (even though she wasn't in it), but...

Mima!
    Last edited by Eliirae; 2010-06-10 at 02:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

Yumemi has a cape.
    She gets my vote.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

Personally, my vote goes for Shinki. She was my favorite boss in the PC-98 games. :3
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what this needs? Pictures of the characters to be voted on. Let them present themselves!
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)