A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    [*]Magic
    This. It solves/explains everything! Including the f thingy!

Also from where the egg will be coming from.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 2-1

Spoiler
    Show
    Today I learned not to expect any degree of common sense to exist in this world.

Fresh from my victory over the first gym leader, it was already time for me to depart from this city of six buildings. As I left, I took a glance at the nearby newspost.

Thieves stealing fossils? Nah...I'm sure this couldn't possibly have anything to do with me. Besides, if the fossils are just sitting in a cave waiting to be discovered, how is taking them considered stealing? Then again, why was I expecting this place to make sense?

Just before I could leave town, I ran into one of Professor Oak's lab assistants. Because apparently, he's been keeping tabs on me and watching me all this time.

At least he was kind enough to give me a gift. Thanks to him, I have now learned how to run (because, ya know, I didn't know how to before).

With that, I was finally on my way to Route 3. Which, as it turns out, was overpopulated with amateur trainers.

Yes, I have eyes in the side of my head that let me look at you when facing in a completey different direction. Of course that's it. Now tell me, who's the one being harassed here?

Oh, that's right, you are now. Honestly, why do these people feel an uncontrollable compulsion to challenge everyone they see? Are all humans here this bloodthirsty? The way I see it, it's easy enough to get experience points from wild Touhoumon, so that must not be what they're after. Instead, these kids are intent on challenging others for the potential prize money, which can't be earned from wild Touhoumon.

Oh my. These kids are gambling addicts.

Look, another one of these boys from the forest.

Really? Because I remember all the trainers I fought in Viridian Forest, and none of them were named Colton. So either you got your name legally changed within the past 24 hours, or you're a stone-faced liar.

At least this experience was generous enough for Magical Mary to learn a new trick: a barrage of magic stars to pummel the opponent with. I wonder where she gets it from?

Nope, I'm pretty sure I've never beaten you before. Can I see some I.D.?

Unfortunately, a kid with identity issues was still far from the most annoying of these trainers.

OK. I don't know how much of a social train wreck you are, but let me give you some advice, kid. When meeting complete strangers for the first time, one of the most awkward things you can talk about is what you're wearing below the waist. Also, what kind of kid uses the word "delightfully"?

The shorts-loving boy showed me a Touhoumon that I've never seen before. All it did was spin and spin and spin and spin and...

Will it ever get dizzy? Perhaps Believe it! can help out with that.

Incidentally, I've been meaning to ask just why Touhoumon can only remember four moves. Is it some kind of magical restraint, or is their memory just that terrible? I pondered this for a while, but then decided to drop it once I remember that this was a world where I wasn't allowed to run until after getting a gym badge.

Next up, more gambling-obsessed kids with a fixation on short trousers.

What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you for enforcing your lack of fashion sense on others? Besides, don't you know it's scandalous in Gensokyo for a girl to be seen wearing shorts? The same holds true for the lack of a head accessory.

At least other good thing came out of all this pointless violence over money and experience points.

Huh, check that out. Shinku finally became Alice.

Yet, my trials of dealing with unreasonable children were still not at an end.

Indeed, my ability to stare at the wall was so intriguing that you just had to come over and take a look. Honestly, these kids are just grasping at straws for any excuse to battle, whether it be dress code or the direction of one's vision. And if you fail to uphold these rules, you get attacked and poisoned. This place feels more totalitarian with each passing moment. Just please don't tell me these children will report me to the thought police.

Magical Mary is such a comfort in these tough times, always picking up something new every few battles. Usually it's just a berry of some sort, but occassionally she gets some very nifty things. I'm still curious as to where she steals them from.

Oh, what a surprise. Another kid desparate for an excuse to battle.

Amazing. You see me for the first time in your life, walk all the way over to me, then have the nerve to accuse me of touching you? I'm about an inch away from pressing harassment charges and filing for a restraining order.

After what seemed like an eternity of inanity, I finally came to the end of Route 3. A convenient Eirin Center greeted me at the entrance to Mt. Moon.

Entering the Eirin Center, I stopped to chat with a few locals.

Huh, Team Rocket? Never heard of them before. Is it suppose to be a clever acronym? Nah, it probably stands for something stupid and nonsensical like "Raid On the City: Knock-out Evil Tusks".

Since I've arrived at a new region, and a particularly expansive one at that, of course I found a huge variety of new wild Touhoumon. Here are most of the new species I found in and around Mt. Moon:

On top of that, there was this shady man at the Mt. Moon Eirin Center offering to sell me something.

Wow, that's quite a lot of choices! A tough call indeed.

Yep, this is the biggest poll yet. Maybe selecting only one is a bit unfair...but then again, we've still got tons of regions and many more new Touhou characters to go anyway.

A. Tewi Inaba (Normal, very versatile, think Clefable)
    B. Reisen Udongein Inaba (Psychic, special sweeper with lots of confusion-based moves)
    C. Aya Shameimaru (Flying/Normal, very fast physical sweeper)
    D. Rumia (Dark, physical sweeper, think Absol)
    E. Koakuma (Psychic > Psychic/Flying, special sweeper/annoyer)
    F. Kisume (Water/Fire, physical wall/annoyer)
    G. Tenshi Hinanai (Rock/Ground, slow but sturdy physical sweeper, think Rhydon)
    H. Iku Nagai (Electric > Electric/Dragon, slow but sturdy special sweeper)
    I. Nameless Fairy (Normal; like Tyrogue, can evolve into:)
    >>> Lily White (Normal, tank-ish stats)
    >>> Lily Black (Dark, mixed sweeper)
    >>> Daiyousei (Grass, special sweeper/baton pass special attack boosts)
    J. None of the above (yeah, like anyone would choose this?)
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-05-10 at 05:22 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

If you don't pick Aya here, the Tengu Association will never forgive you!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

So many Touhoumons to catch... and we have to pick only one? What a sadistic choice. I'm not sure I can choose here.

Aya. Name her Winged Troll. If that's too long, then Miakis.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

This is a hard choice, but i am going to say Aya. The world needs more trolling.

Though admittedly, sex appeal is good too so i wouldn't mind too much if you pick the useless bunny.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

One vote for Tewi here. Because Aya is just a little troll apprentice by comparison to the true old master of the craft .

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

That is true. Though i am not sure i would call Tewi a troll. Pure evil is more accurate.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Just please don't tell me these children will report me to the thought police.
    Hello? Thought police? I met somebody who... insulted the shorts...

I say get the fairy. I don't know why.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

9. - Top - End - #129

Actually, after looking more thoroughly at the available options in the game, I realize that Aya does have an alternate evolution form, Final Aya (another Final Fantasy parody, I imagine). And it's good. Really, really good. Flying/Fighting type, with a fantastic stat distribution and moveset in exchange for losing Speed Boost. Way better than Aya's normal EX form, which has insane overkill speed but a much worse movelist. And it only requires a Moon Stone, not a Sun Stone either, like some of the other powerful alternate forms. My only fear is it's too good for the early game...but then again, seeing how many Aya fans there are reading this, I'm not sure if you'd all object. I think to balance this out, I'll refrain from evolving her to her Final form until much later (in fact, waiting to evolve lets me get Extreme Speed first, to help ameliorate her lower speed).
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

Ah, that sounds awesome. Let the winged troll show off just what she's made of.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm choosing Iku for her Saturday Night Fever. Nickname: Travolta.

But considering that several people have voted for Aya, might as well think up a nickname for the winged pervert/troll/newspaper solicitor. How about Kazumi, after a character from Mahou Sensei Negima?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    That is true. Though i am not sure i would call Tewi a troll. Pure evil is more accurate.
    No, see, Tewi is a troll, while Aya isn't. To be a troll you need to actually care about making your targets angry. Aya doesn't care if her news make people angry or happy, she just wants to sell newspapers, and if a few reputations or social lives have to be taken down and ruined in the meantime... eh it happens, it's her job to make news, you were on the way, I'd say sorry except I'm totally not. Now, do you have anything to say on your feelings about this situation? *takes out notebook* .

Tewi, on the other hand, simply wants to see your "CURSE YOU TEWIIIIII" face, which delights her so .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-11 at 01:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Oh, i agree. Just that Tewi go so far above and beyond what an ordinary troll will do. I mean does she have a single redeeming feature to give even a slight balance to all her attempted homicide and assorted other harm she does? So yeah, i consider her trolling to reach the level where she is pure evil

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, i agree. Just that Tewi go so far above and beyond what an ordinary troll will do. I mean does she have a single redeeming feature to give even a slight balance to all her attempted homicide and assorted other harm she does? So yeah, i consider her trolling to reach the level where she is pure evil
    Well, truth be told, outside of doujins she never actually goes through with anything liable to cause you true harm (well, except that one time when she got Reisen lost in the SDM basement, and that time wasn't just as planned, since she ended lost around there as well), and she does have her nice side. It's just it's focused on her earth rabbits, while "people" are mostly targets. Plus she does have this thing with saving people lost in the Forest of Bamboo and showing them the way out. She is highly evil, mind, but not without a couple redeeming features .

Eirin is more true evil than Tewi, really. Tewi will just throw you into a pit trap (and everyone flies in Gensokyo) or steal your things just to see you scramble for them desperately. What Eirin does to Reisen has her (again, according to the half-canon omake Inaba&Inaba) out cold for days at a time sometimes .

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

B. Reisen Udongein Inaba (Psychic, special sweeper with lots of confusion-based moves)
    C. Aya Shameimaru (Flying/Normal, very fast physical sweeper)
    CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUU

...Aya. *grumble grumble*

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

There are several times in Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth where she tries to trick Reisen into drinking Eirin's poison, as well as the time she has Reisen smear the wrong ointment on, intentionally. Though in the last case she might not have known how dangerous it was. And at least in said omake you don't see her being nice to the Earth rabbits, but you do see her scam them out of their money, using them as human shields or basketballs. But like you said it wasn't too a manga.

She is also quite fond of getting Reisen in position for punishment time. Though that doesn't change Eirin's evil either, which i will admit i didn't know about before and honestly don't like. Eirin as the one who handles everything because Kaguya is too lazy and ditzy to is fine, but Eirin as the one who jumps at any opportunity to torment Reisen isn't really.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-05-11 at 02:42 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

There are several times in Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth where she tries to trick Reisen into drinking Eirin's poison, as well as the time she has Reisen smear the wrong ointment on, intentionally. Though in the last case she might not have known how dangerous it was. And at least in said omake you don't see her being nice to the Earth rabbits, but you do see her scam them out of their money, using them as human shields or basketballs. But like you said it wasn't too a manga.

She is also quite fond of getting Reisen in position for punishment time. Though that doesn't change Eirin's evil either, which i will admit i didn't know about before and honestly don't like. Eirin as the one who handles everything because Kaguya is too lazy and ditzy to is fine, but Eirin as the one who jumps at any opportunity to torment Reisen isn't really.
    Well, I&I is an exaggerated omake, after all. Canon Tewi is given to pranks, but never lifethreatening. Canon Eirin is given to being excessively strict and very free-handed with scoldings and punishment (Reisen is mentioned in... I think it was Cage in Lunatic Runagate, to have to do a lot of cleaning and errand-doing every time she makes a mistake), but not to the point of harm. But omakes are for exaggerating traits for the sake of slapstick . I was just saying that if we were discussing I&I, Eirin's eviler than Tewi there by a wide margin .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-11 at 02:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

I guess that is likely, you know canon better than me. After all you have the patience to actually practice enough to get anywhere in the games, which i don't.

Oh, and i thought that Tewi leading lost people out wasn't really planned or intentional. At least that is the impression i've gotten from both the limited first hand evidence i have and the second hand accounts i have read.

19. - Top - End - #139

While both Tewi and Eirin have their less-than-appealing canonical or semi-canonical portrayals, I find that Eirin usually gets more redeeming features, while Tewi seems a lot less sympathetic. To give you an idea of what I mean, Eirin is like a less evil version of Redcloak, while Tewi is like Belkar pre-MoJ. I guess the analogy kind of falls through in some ways, but it sort of gets my point across.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, and i thought that Tewi leading lost people out wasn't really planned or intentional. At least that is the impression i've gotten from both the limited first hand evidence i have and the second hand accounts i have read.
    There are people who say that, yeah. But I never thought it held up to a tad of scrutiny. The argument goes "it's just they see her and that gives them enough luck to get out of the forest, it's involuntary on Tewi's end". But thinking of it: first, I doubt the luck-giving is involuntary, just on sight - because given how much Reisen's luck sucks on average, and how she sees Tewi every single day... well, either she was actually fated to explode randomly and Tewi's luck can only reduce it to having to fulfill the whims of a rather crazy princess that asks for some really outlandish and troublesome things at times, or Tewi actually decides whether she gives luck or not. Given spontaneous imploding is rare even in Gensokyo, I'm going to go for the second .

And second, even if the luck giving was involuntary, they have to see her for it to work, that part is well documented. And what hope does a lost, unfamiliar human has to actually get his eyes on the master of the forest, who both knows it like the back of her paw and is good enough at stealth to even fool magic radars (see SaBND), unless said rabbit wants him to see her? No, Tewi's apparitions to people are plenty voluntary. She apparates as a flitting white shape, and gives people enough luck to find the exit of the forest. Maybe play a couple tricks on them on the way out, because this is Tewi we're talking about .

EDIT @ Mirrinus post: Eh, I personally find Eirin far less appealing than Tewi. Eirin is just your average schemer with absolutely no regards to anyone else other than her princess, and Yukari already does the scheming bit with a lot more flair and triple the sympatheticness. Tewi's just a trickster archetype, a little buffoon that enjoys so seeing all those silly little people flail around (after all, aside from Eirin, Tewi might well be the oldest character in the cast) and tripping people out of their comfort zones then laughing until her sides hurt as they bumble. Plenty evil, but a lot less concentrated in scope and a lot less likely to end with you really bad off.

But then, to be completely honest, I mostly don't care all that much for Imperishable Night's cast as a whole. Tewi is just the one I find more memorable (as in, I could actually maybe remember she exists without stopping to think), because of how over-the-top zany she is, but still not even in my top twenty favorite characters. The game being among the, if not THE, most boring of the series (Marisa fight notwithstanding) probably has a lot to do with it, to be honest .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-11 at 03:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    But considering that several people have voted for Aya, might as well think up a nickname for the winged pervert/troll/newspaper solicitor. How about Kazumi, after a character from Mahou Sensei Negima?
    I had to check to realize you're talking about Asakura. And yeah, it fits very well.

Alternatively, Secchan, for obvious reasons. Hmm... Setsukura?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

I vote for Rumia! And nickname her "Huzzah"! Even though that's pretty much the same joke as it "Believe it", it still makes me smile.

23. - Top - End - #143

As much as I love Aya, Rumia is slightly higher in my favourite Touhou character list.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

My vote goes to Aya.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

And i agree, Aya should either be called Kazumi or Asakura, both refer to the same character anyway. They are frighteningly similar, after all.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Another completely meaningless vote for Iku, I second the use of Travolta.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

27. - Top - End - #147

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 2-2

Spoiler
    Show
    After catching my latest new member of the party, all the other Touhoumon started acting really nervous. I wonder why?

Regardless, I took our newest teammate out to train for a while and get her up to speed. (Hehehe...speed. I crack myself up.)

Soon, we were ready for the gaping cavern of Mt. Moon. It's so convenient that every mountain in this world has a tunnel leading straight through it, huh? Just imagined how hard it would be if we had to actually climb these things.

The random loot one finds in these areas doesn't hurt, either.

But the random trainers do rather get on my nerves. Asakura performed well in her first real battle, running circles around her foes with ease.

Then again, with enemies this dumb, who'd expect anything less? Take this fine specimen of human intelligence, for example:

Yes, girl. It's totally smart to wait next to a sign saying "BEWARE!" in the darkness while waiting for your friends. If this were a horror movie, I wonder how long you'd last?

See, this guy has the right idea. Paranoia helps you survive in these situations. Personally, if I were stuck in a horror movie, I'd hang out with the guy who's seen so much of the genre that he'd know everything that's coming our way.

Then again, it feels like no one here has any sense of danger. I wonder why? I mean, it's a huge, dark cave filled with creatures that can flay the flesh off your bones, yet little kids just keep wandering in here without adult supervision like it's an amusement park. Makes one wonder just how many children in this world survive until childbearing age.

And as if the wild Touhoumon living here weren't enough, there happen to be mafia gangsters roaming these parts too! And parents are negligent enough to let their children come play here on their own? Worst. Parents. Ever.

Now, these "Team Rocket" fellows are something to be afraid of. They mistreat their Touhoumon so much that they have to be given a new category, adding "Dark" to their names. And despite being just chibi Touhoumon, they still have the power to intimidate anything that goes up against them. The amateur trainers were just annoying me with their callous handling of their creatures, but these guys are something else entirely.

I don't know what they were doing here, but thankfully, they're docile enough to just stop whatever they were doing after being defeated in a Touhoumon battle. I mean, it's not like a grown man could overpower me one-on-one, right?

Hey, if they're not taking the loot here, then I will!

Continuing on deeper into the cave, it seems to me that people here expect kids to be exploring the cave. I was even mistaken for one! Is it that dark in here? I mean, I know I look young for my age, but...

Shinku finally learned a non-psychic attack now, too. At last, no more being stonewalled by dark types! Now for someone to test it on...

Oh, you did not just call me that! Do little kids take classes on analytical psychology and cognitivism? Thanks for volunteering to be Shinku's smackdown victim.

As I neared the end of the cave, even more Team Rocket gangsters appeared to challenge me. I guess they're not that threatening if they're stupid enough to tell me their plans. That, and the fact that there's more of them means they can't possibly be powerful. It's some conservation law or whatever, I think.

But strangely enough, the final trainer of this cave wasn't a Rocket member, but another nerd. So in the end, even these mafia members couldn't beat a single nerd to these fossils? Looks like someone's swimming with the fishes tonight.

Thanks to my charming personality, he offered to let me have a fossil. How nice of him! And I didn't even have to find them and dig them up myself! Apparently, you can get whatever you want in this world through liberal application of Touhoumon violence. Hmm...not sure how I ought to respond to that. Maybe humans really are just jerks like that.

The battle was also kind enough to help Magical Mary evolve. Lookin' good!

Not knowing enough about what made these fossils different, I went ahead and just picked one. Great, now I get to lug a big chunk of stone with me in my backpack. How exactly is this a reward again?

At least I got a nice haul of these pretty little stones with a moon symbol inscribed on them. It's what Mt. Moon is famous for, right?

Not to mention new entrees for my Ayanote.

All in all, a good day. I snagged lots of loot, beat up some mafia members, and exposed the perils of leaving children without adult supervision. Remember, kids: The more you know!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry about those children in the cave, they are just unimportant NPCs that are somehow unable to die.

Also the conservation of competence applies for Team Rocket.

29. - Top - End - #149

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 2-2

Spoiler
    Show
    After catching my latest new member of the party, all the other Touhoumon started acting really nervous. I wonder why?

Is that so...
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

D'awwww, Chibi Meiling's so cute.