A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    I noticed that, as well.
    It's quite intentional. I assume so, anyway, what with Sabrina using that curse-esque move over and over and over to devastating effect. Against me, anyway. I'm in awe of how well Mirrinus handled that boss, and he didn't have three dark pokemon like I did. I was level 46~47 (and a 43 Shinki) at the time, but still. Nice one

My vote is for Hakurei. Why? Not really a fan of any of the options and I find this the most interesting mechanically speaking.

Edit: Giovanni and the Renko fight shortly afterwards have been utterly stomped, courtesty of grinding to L51 beforehand. Glee. In Victory Road now.

Also also. Heart Break. Is it a physical or special move? That kinda dictates whether it goes to Shinki or Remi.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-06-17 at 11:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dwarf in the Playground

Get out of my head, Psycho Sabrina!

My vote goes for Komachi.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, im gonna say Letty. That one looks cool.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Just beat the Elite Four and champion, good fun

Now to get the Sun Stone, decide who to use it on, visit seafoam islands/the power station and... I don't know. Where do I grind to get to a suitably high level for round 2?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Heartbreak is special, given that it's a dark type move. Don't know why it'd be any different.

Regarding Hakurei Miko ability: if you think Focus Flight is bad, do take note that Hakurei can learn Psycho Boost. Yeah...
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-06-18 at 04:48 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

6. - Top - End - #456
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't think hakurei miko works with psycho boost, or at least it doesn't in the latest version.

What is nasty is that Hakurei also learns calm mind and extrasenseory naturally as well and can get brick break from a TM.

And a bit of advice if Mirrinus wants some...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyways, I suggest that Mirrinus makes a team of 6 marisa and start stealing the things that Ctewi (lucky egg), Creisen (moon stone) and Cyukari (sun stone) hold when Mirrinus has time (if Mirrinus wants to), Mirrinus won't regret it when it comes time to grind for E4 round 2 and wants some sunstones and extra moon stones for E4 round 1. Also since this is a firered hack, people can use gameshark codes to get things like shell bells and scope lenses.
    Last edited by Shiva asori; 2010-06-18 at 01:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

Komachi is my vote.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Pixie in the Playground

It's a lost battle already, but who cares! I vote Letty! Hooray for winter! :(
    Even better if you can make her go Advent, because if I'm not mistaken she becomes pretty cool that way. No puns intended.

And what's with Poppins's icon oh god

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randfeon View Post
    And what's with Poppins's icon oh god
    Poppin's icon is the umbrella she always carries, possibly the true form of the Karakasa.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks. Only reason I thought otherwise was the clawing animation. Guess Shinki just got a replacement for Faint Attack, then.

Also, going through the power plant now. I forgot how much of a hellish experience catching Zapdos (or its replacement, as the case may be) was. I should get something with hypnosis or a move to that effect. Paralysis would work fine too. And it's definitely getting some sort of Majora's Mask reference

I admit, I was tempted to name it after a certain spiteful non-fruit object in IWBTG as well.

Edit: Sevii finished (ohgodgrinding), legendaries caught, up to the Mewtwo replacement now. That was... embarrassing.

"Wriggle used Wriggle Kick! Spoiler fainted!" One shot. Kiiiinda sad. It is a sudden massive level drop from Sevii, mind. Oh, and Cerulean Cave is amazing. Full of Final, EX and Last Word forms of all kinds of characters, including Reimu/Marisa/Sakuya. And Suwako.

Incidentally, some of the sprites - final forms in particular - are absurdly awesome. I'd put them up here, but I'm worried that that would bug Mirrinus if he eventually wants to show it. All stuff that's been voted on already, anyway. So, Mirrinus, would that be okay with you?

Anyway, wouldn't be a post or edit from me without a call for help. Does anyone have a good name for a certain character? Spoilered in case anyone finds their very existence a spoiler, but I doubt that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sariel. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-06-19 at 10:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Naming's done, legendaries are all caught.

More pertinently, I finished round two of the Elite Four. My god, that was torturous. But also fun. Won on the first try, if only just, though I did use massive amounts of max potions and revives.

Team was about level 83 at the time. Massively outmatched. Consisted of EX Sakuya, EX Marisa, Final Patchouli, Advent Yuyuko (I may have been better off bringing EX Utsuho instead), EX Wriggle and Final Remilia. Had those since the start, Viridian forest, Cerulean, Lavender, Viridian forest and Cerulean respectively. Part of what made me rethink bringing legendaries, thought I'd use the old favourites

Anyway, that was tons of fun, so thanks for introducing me to the hack, Mirrinus. And now that it's finished, I'm free at last. Freeeeeeeeee.

Good luck with the rest of the run, and thanks for the thread so far
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #462

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 7-1

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, I feel so refreshed and carefree! With that whole Team Rocket fiasco behind me, now would be a good time to finally enjoy this vacation and make it feel like, well, like a vacation. And what better place to do it than at the beach?

Unfortunately, I didn't bring a swimsuit with me when I left for this trip. Hey, I expected to be in Gensokyo, and we all know that there are no beaches in Gensokyo! So now I feel rather disappointed in not preparing for this unforeseen circumstance. I mean, it would be such a pain to get this dress wet! Do you think I wear stuff like this to the beach on purpose?

Luckily, I had another idea in mind.

By inverting Poppins' large umbrella, we could form a makeshift raft of some sort to navigate the seas. I sure hope she won't mind...

Ah, now this is the life. Lounging on a floating umbrella in the middle of the ocean, basking in the warm glow of the sun, not a care in the world...or at least, it would be relaxing, if it weren't for all the pesky trainers seeking to interrupt my time. How irritating. Next thing you know, there'll be people challenging me to a battle while I'm going to the bathroom.

The high seas were teaming with swimmers frolicking in the water. Wouldn't it be dangerous to have people swimming so far from shore, without a lifeguard nearby? Oh, look. Once again I'm expecting to see some form of supervision in a world that clearly lacks any notion of reasonable authority figures. All right, scratch what I just said.

Okay, young people. Enjoy swimming in your deathtrap of an ocean. Try not to drown or get cut by the many sharp objects floating around. (Where do you think the chibi Komachis get their scythes?)

Of course I can swim. I just choose not to swim in your ocean of treachery. That and if you splash my dress, you're footing the dry cleaning bill.

So, this is the infamous Seafoam Island? Given all the talk surrounding it, I had expected some sort of luxurious seaside resort. How lame.

Instead, I get a damp, musky cave with a rushing river flowing through its lower portions. Take one misstep, and you can drop into the raging rapids in an instant. Luckily, I managed to release Poppins and her umbrella as I fell, saving my dress just in the nick of time. It was really quite epic, and the low-quality sprite images you're seeing just can't do it justice.

This is so not a choice vacation spot. The travel brochures lied to me!

After having been swept into an unfamiliar chamber in the cave, I was able to bust my way back thanks to the strength of China-Li, who blocked off the flowing waters with large stones. As I floated in the now calm waters, I chanced upon something ancient. Something majestic. I chose to leave it be.

Well, Seafoam Island was a flop. Isn't there anywhere else I could go? Why yes, yes there is. I could head south from where this journey all started: Pallet Town. I hear there are more islands to visit over there.

Riding around on an umbrella is cumbersome though, to say the least. I figured if I'm going beachhopping again, I'm going to need something else.

As for how I'm surfing with Shinku? Uh...magic. Yes, magic. Let's just go with that explanation and never speak of this topic again.

Apparently, this particular sea route was more of a fishing hotspot than anything else. I ran into many fishermen who sought to pass the time by battling with me, which confuses me greatly. Fishing is such an interesting hobby that...you have to resort to Touhoumon battles and other means to stave off boredom while fishing? Why not just pick up a more exciting hobby, like paint drying or grass growing?

Aw...how cute. Telling your sister that she needs to lose weight. Most little brothers I know who did that usually end up with a concussion instead. Bravo to you, you brave soul!

(Land of the impossible, etc.)

See? More bored fishermen. I just can't fathom why they would spend their time doing something so boring. Maybe it's sort of an addiction, like those gambling maniacs I met a while back? Hmm...must remember to make note of this. Could be an interesting idea for my next psychology thesis paper.

I kept on surfing, passing by Cinnabar island, and continued east a while longer. This stretch of seaways held a more diverse group of residents, rather than just the typical swimmers and fishermen. Why, there was even a bird keeper! How random! Maybe they're also on vacation? I guess even bird keepers need a break now and then from their job of...hey...wait a minute, what kind of job is bird keeper anyway?

Yes. Yes, I am on vacation. Thank you for reminding me just how boring my vacation has become. I mean, what kind of vacation is it when I spend half my time relieving fishermen of their boredom? Wait, don't answer that.

And Seafoam Island again? Okay, this is now officially a complete waste of time. Let's just get back to Cinnabar and resume beating people up for badges.

But first, a souvenir. No vacation, no matter how bad, is complete without one.

(Seriously, where do these things get their scythes?)

A quick vote: Which moveset shall we get for our newest member?

A. Physical Sweeper

Shadow Ball
    Brick Break
    Razor Wind (Flying, 60 bp, cannot miss)
    Life Balance (evenly redistributes HP between both combatants)

B. Utility Annoyer

Shadow Ball
    Confuse Ray
    Slack Off
    Life Counter (halves target's HP)
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

13. - Top - End - #463
    Firbolg in the Playground

Utility Annoyer. Cuz Slack Off fits her so well. And Life counter seems more useful than Life Balance.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for the physical sweeper because her nature appears to be well suited for the role.

Changed my mind. Utility annoyer is closer to Komachi's work ethic.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-06-20 at 09:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Banned

I concur. Let's have an annoying shinigami with a large variety of mundane uses! I'm sure Maribel can come up with some use for the latter part to stave off boredom.

Also it does seem like she has gotten a fairly terrible vacation. Just walking all over the place and getting assaulted by crazy people and cute little girls all the time.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Utility. I've seen it work horribly well against me.

Also, no Kongara? Pity. Not that I ever used Kongara, mind. Just the usual capturing for completeness's sake. Cinnabar gym should be easier for you than it was for me, you seem to have a good deal more in the way of water pokemon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yay, Beach Alice.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Nice job keeping your sanity throughout Seafoam, by the way. While not as annoying as Lugia's island, I really hate that place. Cerulean Cave, too, if it wasn't a good place to catch some awesome additions to the team that I never used. But really, Seafoam. Gah. It's no Rock Tunnel, but still.

For some reason, Victory Road confused me enough when I was younger (about 6~7) that it took me several hours to figure out how to make it through, and that was basically an accident. This is also when I made some wise decisions to the effect of "railroad me, will you? Bah! Who needs Flash, anyway? I'll clear the Rock Tunnel without it!" Success ensued, after way too long, but it cost me what little mental health I may have had.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    "Railroad me, will you? Bah! Who needs Flash, anyway? I'll clear the Rock Tunnel without it!"
    Amen to that. Nobody needs Flash or Defog, either!

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

Beach Alice?

*nosebleed*
    *collapse*

21. - Top - End - #471
    Banned

A tiny sprite of a fairly young looking girl in a bikini gives you a nosebleed, Cubey? Are you into chibis or something?

22. - Top - End - #472
    Banned

I have an active imagination. That was a humorous exaggeration.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    I have an active imagination. That was a humorous exaggeration.
    Or was it? (Cue Twilight Zone Theme Music)

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

I vote for Annoyer. It just seems like a strategy Komachi would use.
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

25. - Top - End - #475

To be honest, I'm actually debating right now whether to do the Sevii Islands endgame or just complete this LP at the Elite Four round 1. The story I had planned for this LP ends at Indigo Plateau, and I haven't really come up with many good ideas for continuing beyond to the Sevii Islands. That and there's the fact that I've already started making plans with my next LP (I've narrowed it down to 3 games so far).

The big draw to going beyond is to do the Elite Four round 2, where they have pretty ridiculous teams in this hack. It'll take a lot of grinding to take them on, though (we're talking level 80+).

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    To be honest, I'm actually debating right now whether to do the Sevii Islands endgame or just complete this LP at the Elite Four round 1. The story I had planned for this LP ends at Indigo Plateau, and I haven't really come up with many good ideas for continuing beyond to the Sevii Islands. That and there's the fact that I've already started making plans with my next LP (I've narrowed it down to 3 games so far).

The big draw to going beyond is to do the Elite Four round 2, where they have pretty ridiculous teams in this hack. It'll take a lot of grinding to take them on, though (we're talking level 80+).
    Gah. Yes. Round 2 is the stuff of nightmares. For the sake of your sanity? Keep it to round 1.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

27. - Top - End - #477
    Orc in the Playground

Sigh. I head home for Father's Day and forget to check this, and the streak of naming all your Touhou ends. I was up to three in a row!

Ah, well. I would have voted for Komachi anyway. I like VIVIT, but psychopomps are too cool to ignore.

Also, I vote utility annoyer. Primarily because it has Slack Off.
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-06-21 at 09:20 PM.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

28. - Top - End - #478

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 7-2

Spoiler
    Show
    It's amazing just how fast these girls grow when under my tutelage. No one gets left behind under my watch!

So, ahem, back to business: just two more badges to go! Unfortunately, it's never as simple as just waltzing into a gym and demanding a battle, now is it? This time around, I don't even have the option, because for some reason the gym leader forgot to unlock his front door today. Why is he doing this? I don't know. It's never explained.

In fact, I'm not even sure if anyone ever so much as hints that I have to find the key myself in order to unlock the door. Is this some kind of challenge? Or does the gym leader just really hate girl scouts who try to sell him cookies? Hmm...maybe if I pretended to be a pizza delivery person, I could trick him into opening the door?

"Uh, excuse me? I've got three extra large pizzas with pepperoni and sausage toppings. Could you open the door?"

"Huh? Pizza? Awesome! Hey guys, Blaine must have ordered us some pizza! All right, just a minute, let me open the- ohsnapI'monfire!"

Hmm. The door appears to have been booby-trapped as well. So much for breaking in and entering.

So I guess I'm stuck looking for the key to the gym. And just where is this mystical key of mystery? I don't know. All the people standing by the gym won't tell me a thing about it. Apparently, I had to go all the way back to the Eirin Center before I can even find a single clue about where it's located. Of course, I didn't bother to do that. I'm genre savvy enough to know that it's probably the only other notable building here on this island: the big mansion with a familiar-sounding name.

Scarlet Devil Mansion? Where have I heard that name before?

Anyway, as you would expect from this world, I found little kids playing around in the dark, decrepit mansion filled with collapsing walls and creepy statues with glowing eyes that sealed off rooms and corridors. Because nothing says fun like mortal danger, am I right?

Yup, it's absolutely the best place in the world to go have some fun. Look, there's even a Flandre stalking the halls! How charming! You know, if everyone has to go through this ordeal just to get Blaine to open up his front door, I'd love to see how many girl scouts made it out of this alive.

But what could be more ominous than wild psychotic girls patrolling the floors? Why, what about the apocalyptic logs scattered throughout the rooms? Those are always fun to discover, aren't they?

Actually...it's not quite accurate to call them apocalyptic logs. They seem to be detailing something else entirely. Something about the creation of this world, the barriers that sustain it, and other meta-physical research that I can't really understand. Weird. I hope this isn't going to come back and bite me in some sort of heavy-handed plot device kind of way.

Plunging myself deeper into the maze-like mansion, I was stopped by some scientists who still made use of the facilities here. They gave me some vague hints as to the nature of their research concerning the creation of this world, which once again just flew over my head. I don't think even they know what they're talking about. I just hope they won't say something absurd, like how this world was created by a single Touhoumon that I would one day be able to capture and carry around with me in a convenient little orb. I mean, how ridiculous would that be?

Huh, who's this Composer they have mentioned here? You know, I really hate how these tattered logs give so little information that I can hardly glean a thing from them. It's almost as if someone deliberately tore them to pieces and left just enough for me to find that I'd become curious, but not enough as to actually answer any of my questions. It's as if some sadistic force is in control of the entire situation, and revels in the fact that I am still unaware of some vital piece of information that would change my outlook on this entire world if it were revealed to me.

Or maybe I'm just unduly paranoid. I get that sometimes. Psychology major and all, right?

Oh well, who cares. It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when you're walking side-by-side with pint-sized creatures capable of befriending anyone with superior firepower. This must be how Nanoha Takamachi feels every single day.

Maybe I'm just getting drunk off the power rush of commanding a squad of cute little death machines, but I'm feeling like I can take whatever this world plans on throwing at me. Bring it on, you nonsensical world of failure law enforcement and no adult supervision of children! I'm ready for you!

Just as soon as I find that stupid key...

Oh, there it is, just lying on the floor of the mansion's basement. How convenient. Well, that was easier than I thought. For a minute there I was afraid I had to-

Wait, what was that? It sounded like someone was whispering just now.

"...and then there were none?"

You know, what I don't like about this part of the game is this: if you're going to make an SDM-themed dungeon and even have the entire stage 3+ cast of EoSD catchable here, why is the music for the place "Satori Maiden - 3rd Eye"? Granted, I love that song, and both "U.N. Owen was Her" and "Septette for the Dead Princess" were taken for other tracks in the game, but why couldn't they at least have gone with "Voile Magic Library" or "Locked Girl" or something? Oh well...

I think I might do a music montage of this game near the end of the LP, to showcase most of the remixed songs.

Voting for who to use against Blaine will now commence. Who will withstand his mighty bald head of awesomeness?

In other news, I've been considering another Let's Play following the conclusion of this one (which hopefully won't be that far off), and I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. I still haven't decided which of the three games to play, though, and may end up opening it up to a vote soon. I regret to say that none of the three are related to Touhou Project in any way, and neither do they have anything to do with Pokemon as well. But they do all have something in common: They are each part of a popular and well-known video game series, but each of the three games I have picked out sadly never saw an official release outside of Japan. I'll be working off of fan translation patches (of varying completeness) and my own ability to make up stuff in place of what I can't read. I'm still working out the logistics on how I would LP some of them, but I hope to get this started soon.

Oh yeah, and I did say a few months ago that I would do the Plus Disk content for Labyrinth of Touhou, didn't I? Well...I still might. A new updated version of Labyrinth of Touhou was just released this past weekend. Very little new content was added, but several adjustments and fixes were made that would hopefully make the endgame more tolerable. I still might pick that up eventually and continue from where I left off at the story's conclusion.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-06-22 at 02:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Banned

I think i'll refrain from voting since i cannot watch youtube videos here, i can't see the result and it would be unfair to keep influencing who is used in a battle that only others get to enjoy. I do agree that it is weird to have an SDM dungeon and then use music from SA for it. Hopefully the next version of the mod will fix that oversight.

And it sounds interesting with those three games. And i will not-quite entirely arbitrarily guess that they are Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II and Megami Ibunroki: Persona 2: Innocent Sin and that is my belief until you prove otherwise. And any of those three would be awesome.

30. - Top - End - #480

Hmm...should have clarified that the three games are each from a different series. And sorry, it's not Megami Tensei.

One is an action RPG, one is a strategy RPG, and the last is...um...a mix of the two?