Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 2-4

Spoiler
    Show
    After seeing Renko's adorable chibi Patchouli, I knew that I just had to have one! (Calm down now, Mari. Suppress those fangirlish urges. Deep breaths...)

She sure is a tricky one to catch, though.

As per my usual routine, I filled up a few more pages of the Ayanote as I was here. In particular, I needed those two grass-type sisters whose names keep escaping me for some reason.

My newest partner, Mukyue (so much fun to say!), has got to be the most specialized Touhoumon I've seen yet. She has abysmally low physical stats, but incredible special stats. Despite being just freshly caught and unevolved, her special stats were already comparable to those of Shinku and Magical Mary! Mukyue will certainly be an interesting one to use properly.

As usual, while I was training with Mukyue, Magical Mary was off looting something again. It's mine to keep, right? I hope no one misses this.

And I might as well take advantage of Mukyue's Teleport while I still have it.

How convenient! I'm already back in town. And since I'm here, might as well go check out what's available here.

Apparently, Cerulean City is famous for having a bike shop. In fact, I believe it's the only one of its kind in this entire world. And simple economics dictates that when there's only one supplier of something, then a dangerous monopoly could develop, resulting in incredible price gouging. But surely these people aren't that evil, are they?

OK, that's just wrong. Adam Smith must really hate my guts or something.

Then again, what was I going to do with a bike? Not like there was anywhere for me to go.

The path down south was blocked off by a tree and a girl messing around with her Cirno. Why? I have no clue. Maybe she was trying to cut down the tree...although I don't know what she's thinking using a Cirno to do it. Idiot much?

Meanwhile, the other path that would lead east requires passage through a house. Now, I suppose it would be rude enough for me to just tresspass on someone else's property, but I don't even have the option to do that, as the entire place was blocked off for a police investigation. Apparently, the police department is having some major issues with Team Rocket. Wait...those fools I met at Mt. Moon? How do the citizens of this fair town sleep soundly at night with a police force that incompetant?

With nowhere else to go, I once again headed north path Nugget Bridge, going up the peninsula as Renko had instructed me.

Some creepy stalker-type kid stopped me as I crossed the bridge, recounting how I had conquered the trainers of Nugget Bridge. Well, it's nice to see that I have an admirer, but trust me, I'm not your type. And I think I'm 8 or 9 years older than you too. Not that I'm saying I'm old or anything. Of course not.

Which once again brings up the point I had pondered earlier: why are there so many children wandering around in the wilderness without any adult supervision? Aren't their parents afraid they'd get kidnapped, or worse? Sure, I suppose one can defend oneself with a few Touhoumon, but what's a chibi Chen or Mystia going to do if an assailant is smart and dangerous enough to bring a good team? What an uncomfortable thought...

Putting aside such disturbing questions for a while, Believe it! put up a great fight against an opponent higher in both level and evolutionary stage.

After teaching that kid an important lesson in approaching older women, I continued on through Route 24 to Route 25.

Lo and behold, what do I see before me but a whole mess of trainers! Typical. I don't suppose I'm running around with a "Battle me!" sign taped to my back, am I?

So this is suppose to be a popular training ground? I think I might buy that plausible explanation, if it weren't for the fact that I don't see any of you guys fighting each other. Why pick on just me? Come to think of it, the same was true for every single route yet.

Oh well. It's your funeral.

At least these trainers are willing to divulge some relevant information as I battle them. Some talked about ZUN, having nothing but praise for the man. Others told me about a great ship currently docked in the southern port of Vermilion City, which has been holding parties for Touhoumon trainers. And still others...talked about their boyfriends. How shallow.

Incidentally, these battles were a good way for me to learn more about how to effectively lead Mukyue in battle. Her greatest hindrance is her very low speed, which gives even an amateur trainer's fodder the opportunity to attack first. This drawback is compounded further with annoying status effects.

Because she's more liable to take damage in battle than her teammates, opportunistic switches are oftentimes needed to keep her safe, at least at this level. But this is just another aspect of teamwork to learn.

Souseiseki didn't mind the assists. In fact, the experience she gained taught her a great new move, Sonic Boom. Not only does it have decent power, but it's also boosted by her bug type, a first for her. What a marvelously useful boon! I mean, can you imagine if it was something much lamer, like always doing a meager set 20 damage?

Breezing through the remaining trainers of Route 25, I had to endure more boasting about their respective love lives. What's up with that? I mean, it's not like I'm jealous or anything. No, of course not! Why would I be?

Ahem...anyway, I doubt such puppy love at that age could last long.

Let's just move on to the end of the route. Spotting a house at the edge of the peninsula, I figured this was ZUN's house. However, inside I couldn't find anyone but a chibi Reisen. which, of course, started speaking to me.

Oh gosh, this isn't going to end up like The Fly, is it? That was an incredibly creepy movie. You...don't happen to have a third telepod hidden somewhere, do you?

Good. For a moment there, I was afraid you'd become a hideous insect monster when you stepped out. Or, I guess in this case, a useless little bunny only good for sex appeal.

Grateful for my assistance, ZUN offered me a ticket to the S.S. Anne in Vermilion City. Of course I wouldn't say no to anything free, so I gladly took him up on that offer. But how am I suppose to get there with all the other routes blocked off?

As I started heading back while pondering that question, I found a young couple making out near ZUN's house. Yeah, sure way to rub it in, guys.

Well, thanks for the gossip! I had almost forgotten about Cerulean City's gym leader. Looks like it's time to pay her a visit now.

No new characters to vote on until we get to Vermilion...but there's still plenty to talk about in the meantime! Here's something else my readers can help me decide: evolutions and movesets! We'll begin with Magical Mary!

Marisa is a very versatile character. Like most other popular characters, she has several stage 3 forms, although for my purposes I'll only be choosing between two of them (due to lack of Sun Stones and stuff). Marisa's EX form is very well-built for special sweeping. Gaining Fire as a secondary type and trading in Pick Up for Speed Boost, she has both the speed and the power to special sweep well. Her alternate form is Advent Marisa, based on her portrayal in the popular doujin Advent Cirno (Final Fantasy VII parody), where she plays the role of Yuffie Kisaragi. This form of hers doesn't have nearly as much firepower, but possesses much higher HP and greater utility moves, albeit with an arguably worse ability (ADVENT, basically same as Shield Dust). She's also a pure Electric type in this form.

Because of her versatility, I can think of no less that 6 useful movesets for her:

A) Standard Special Sweeper

Thunderbolt
    Fire Blast
    Water Pulse
    Mana Charge (raises Special Attack by 2 stages; see Nasty Plot)

This is the most basic sweeping set for Marisa. Nothing fancy or complicated, just boosting your special attack and speed, then destroying everything with STAB moves. This moveset is for EX Marisa.

B) Suicide Sweeper

Blazing Star (Electric, 120 power, 100% accuracy, 1/3 damage recoil; see Volt Tackle)
    Fire Blast
    Water Pulse
    Mana Charge

This setup uses the incredibly strong and accurate Blazing Star to deal heavy damage at a heavy price. Don't expect Marisa to survive tough battles with this setup, but you can expect her to take things down with her. This moveset is for EX Marisa.

C) Sunnybeamer

Thunderbolt
    Fire Blast
    Solarbeam
    Sunny Day

Offering fantastic type coverage, this set takes advantage of Sunny Day's boost to fire moves and instant Solarbeam for a versatile sweeper, as long as you're willing to set up. This moveset is for EX Marisa.

D) One-shot Wonder

Overheat
    Master Spark (Electric-type version of Overheat)
    Mana Charge
    Protect

This is a set that I'd never use against human opponents, but against the particular challenges posed by the most powerful in-game opponents, this set could be of some use. The idea is to demolish an opponent in 1 shot before they have a chance to use their Full Restores and other insane items (lots of trainers in the late game carry such items). Protect is there to get a "free" speed boost in case I'm up against a faster opponent. This set is built to just hit and run, since it can't stay in for any length of time due to the huge drawbacks from Overheat and Master Spark. Now I really wish Choice Specs was in this game. Anyway, this moveset is for EX Marisa.

E) Annoyer

Thunderbolt
    Flash (Psychic, 60 power, 90 accuracy, lowers accuracy)
    Spore (Causes Confusion, 80% accuracy)
    Spikes

Trading away firepower for really annoying moves, this set seeks to mess with opponents and make it difficult for opponents to stay in. Flash in this game has been given 60 base power and a Psychic element, in addition to its accuracy-decreasing effect, making it remarkably useful and annoying. Spore isn't as broken as before, but it further contributes to the plan. It's a very luck-based moveset, but it's something different to consider. This moveset is for Advent Marisa.

F) Baton Passer

Thunderbolt
    Agility
    Mana Charge
    Baton Pass

Instead of hogging the damage dealer role, this moveset plays a totally supportive role. Baton Pass lets her give massive Speed and Special Attack boosts to another special sweeper, like Alice or Patchouli. This moveset is for Advent Marisa.

One thing to keep in mind for these movesets is that Mana Charge is a TM move, and I won't be able to legally get more than one, so I can't use it for anyone else if I commit it to Marisa. Alice and Patchy both luckily learn Mana Charge on their own, though.

So...what'll it be? Which version of Magical Mary shall I go for?
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

I say go for the standard special sweeper, although Master Sparking everyone and stealing their precious things is more of Marissa's style.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

I vote B) Suicide Sweeper. Sounds fun.

Also: great LP!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

I actually wouldn't mind seeing baton passing in action. It's something i know about being important in Touhou, but i'm not exactly certain how to pull it off so it could be interesting to see. Also not like you don't have special sweepers already.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

You need to ask? Magical Mary isn't magical mary without massive beam explosion. Master Spark all the way.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    You need to ask? Magical Mary isn't magical mary without massive beam explosion. Master Spark all the way.
    I'll second that.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

7. - Top - End - #187

I don't like the idea of relegating her to a niche role, and I don't know enough about the system to evaluate entire movesets, but I agree that Magical Mary must have Master Spark.

All else aside, how's she going to make snowmen without it?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, it's not Marisa without a freaking huge magical laser. D all the way.

Also, quick question, but where are you getting your info on who can learn what moves and so forth? All I've been able to find for Aqua+Yui is a half-finished wiki and a list of T'mon locations from about two patches ago.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

And it turns out i was wrong when i said i am too clumsy to play Touhou games before. Just managed to get Bad End #3 in Perfect Cherry Blossom on my 15'ish try. Halucinating spellcards and gathering of points now.

Also skip Yuyuko when you get a chance to catch her, she's a disgrace to final bosses. Both Youmu and the Prismriver Sisters are harder than her.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    Also, quick question, but where are you getting your info on who can learn what moves and so forth? All I've been able to find for Aqua+Yui is a half-finished wiki and a list of T'mon locations from about two patches ago.
    Google YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor). It's a program that lets you view Pokemon ROM information. Since Touhoumon is a hack of Fire Red, it works with YAPE, which lets you view stats, learned moves and TM lists, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    And it turns out i was wrong when i said i am too clumsy to play Touhou games before. Just managed to get Bad End #3 in Perfect Cherry Blossom on my 15'ish try. Halucinating spellcards and gathering of points now.

Also skip Yuyuko when you get a chance to catch her, she's a disgrace to final bosses. Both Youmu and the Prismriver Sisters are harder than her.
    Congratulations on getting through PCB. It usually does take several tries before you can 1CC it, and PCB is already one of the hardest on the lower difficulties anyway (other games have a steeper difficulty curve, but I find PCB starts off its curve harder).

Personally, I actually find Yuyuko to be harder than most other final bosses, while Youmu's pretty easy compared to the likes of Orin, and Prismrivers are probably the easiest stage 4 boss in the whole Windows series for me. Usually people will have varying experiences and strengths anyway, so there's usually not much of a consensus on these issues (except Orin, whom everyone agrees is ridiculously hard for a stage 5 boss).

Ironically enough, all 5 characters you've named (Yuyuko, Youmu, and the 3 Prismrivers) all appear in the same zone in this game, so they will actually be competing with each other.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

This is probably just me being ignorant, but 1CC?

Also i guess it makes sense that people have different experiences, but in any case i found Yuyuko to be pretty easy compared to what had gone before. The Prismriver Sisters on the other hand just murder me every time i reach them. I'll be honest though, the game wasn't quite as hard as the reputation of the series warrants, at least not on Normal.

And joking about Yuyuko aside, she is one of my favorites so unless Meiling is also on that route she'll get my vote once we get to her.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

This is probably just me being ignorant, but 1CC?

Also i guess it makes sense that people have different experiences, but in any case i found Yuyuko to be pretty easy compared to what had gone before. The Prismriver Sisters on the other hand just murder me every time i reach them. I'll be honest though, the game wasn't quite as hard as the reputation of the series warrants, at least not on Normal.

And joking about Yuyuko aside, she is one of my favorites so unless Meiling is also on that route she'll get my vote once we get to her.
    1CC means one credit clear, so no continues. Also the Prismriver Sisters have a null pointer exception.

As for my personal experiences with the Touhou games on Normal, while attempting 1cc unless otherwise stated:
    Story of East Wonderland: Rika's not much of a problem, but Meira is problematic.
    Phantasmagoria of Dimensional Dream: Can 1cc on easy, haven't attempted normal difficulty.
    Lotus Land Story: Elly gives me problems
    Mystic Square: Problems with Alice
    Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: can't get past stage 4
    Perfect Cherry Blossom: Problems with Ch(e x 100)n. Can't get past stage 3.
    Imperishable Night: Got to stage 5 with continues, can't get past stage 4 otherwise.
    Phantasmagoria of Flower View: 1cc with Youmu on easy, can't 1cc on any difficulty otherwise either due to either Aya, Shikieiki, or sometime Komachi.
    Mountain of Faith: Can't get past stage 4, even with Marissa B.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-05-16 at 09:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

My experiences are much the same, despite not having played the PC-98 games.

PCB: Finished, 1 CC. Only if it's Sakuya A, mind you. Anything else gives me difficulties even on easy. Oddly enough, I can 1CC this on Lunatic, though this was more of a fluke than anything. No idea how that happened.

IN: 1CC on Easy is pitifully easy. On Normal, I can't get past the suddenly uberbuffed Reisen.

There is no ninth game. None I say.

MoF: No. I can get as far as Aya on the last spellcard, assuming Marisa B cheatery. And even then, the spellcard where she flies around all over the place completely slaughters me.

SA: Let's not go there, hm?

UFO: Kogasa is hell. Generally, I can just about hang on long enough to get taken down by Murasa.

No, I'm not exactly good at these games
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #194

EoSD; Can CC1 normal some of the time; Remilia's hard. (unless I use Reimu)
    EoSD-ex; Can clear sometimes; Reimu makes it much easier.

IN; Haven't finished off Kayuga normal quite yet.
    IN-ex; 2 Mokou spellcards is what I can get to so far.

(can't believe I missed the Labyrinth LP)

Vote > One-Shot wonder.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

15. - Top - End - #195

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 2-5

Spoiler
    Show
    Cerulean Gym...is certainly not what I had in mind when I pictured the word "gym". The entire place was just one big swimming pool with a narrow walkway running through it. As I entered, an annoying man ran up to me and started pestering me with "advice". Oh no! I think I found a fanboy!

Okay, okay, that's great. I mean, it's not like I didn't know that already. Aren't you also going to tell me that fire is weak to water? Because I totally never figured that out for myself.

It's not like I have the chance to just go out and train up a fresh team, right?

Ew...the trainers at this gym are showing way more flesh than I cared to see. At least put on some swim shorts instead of those Speedos.

Well, I guess it might be a slight step up from misquoting astronomical units.

Mukyue has proven herself to be a fine special wall for my team, shrugging off water and other special attacks with minimal harm. Even if she can't hit for super effective damage all the time, she can outlast her foes like this.

Then, of course, there are the times when I can hit a weakness. Good times. Incidentally, I wonder what a melted fairy tastes like? Hmm, maybe it's best not to dwell on that.

OK...if it weren't for the fact that you look like you still haven't had your first period yet, I might actually have been a bit creeped out by what you just said. Wow Mari...bad thoughts, bad thoughts!

I started the fight with Mukyue, but then promptly switched her out. Magical Mary was happy to deal with the little kappa. It could have gone even faster if I had between 3 and 3.95 power, and was using lasers, and...nevermind.

Divvying up the experience from that last battle was a good idea, as Mukyue needed just that to gain a critical level and catch up exactly with the rest of the gang. And not only did she learn a new technique...

But she grew into a new form! With such power by my side, how will I fare against the gym leader herself? No time for guessing, let's find out.

Keep discussing Magical Mary's moveset if you'd like. It seems Master Spark is now an auto-include, given its immense popularity. I think I might use Fire Blast instead of Overheat, though, since I might feel iffy about having no moves that lack massive drawbacks.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

Evil Maribel, don't melt Cirno!

And i'll just pretend to not hear what the last trainer before Misty said. Because that never happened.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Congratulations, Terra!

And yeah, Yuyu is probably the second easiest Final boss in Windows games. Easiest goes to Byakuren, which is way up among my favorite characters but evidently in her thousand-year imprisonment they didn't cover the topic of danmaku, because she sucks at it .

As for my own experiences with the games... (spoilered for WORDS)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lotus Land Story: ...this passes for a final boss? Damn, Yuka, I'm dissapointed, you're easier than the average Stage 4 boss. 1CCd Normal.
    Mystic Square: Can't even remember who was in here other than Alice and Shinki. I think I managed to beat it because I opened up the Extra (note: Grimoire Alice is made of DEATH), but can't remember much more than that.
    EoSD: My first game. First times I plyed, didn't even know you could focus, and kept dying at Cirno. Now I can 1CC Normal reliably. Can sometimes beat Extra, if Maze of Love doesn't completely screw me up.
    PCB: Easiest Windows game, really. Hardest thing is Youmu. 1CCd Normal, 1CCd Hard, almost managed to 1CC Lunatic except I get shanked by - you guessed it - Youmu. Beat the Extra, too, but getting past Yukari is harder.
    IN: People keep saying it's the easiest. Given the Marisa fight and how dangerous Eirin is, I'm calling BS on those people. Still managed to 1CC it, though, after a hell of a lot of tries.
    PoFV: The Computer Is A Cheating Bastard. That is all.
    StB: Let's just say this game made me actually like Aya, that's how awesome it is. Knuckle-breakingly difficult at times, though. Managed to get to EX! (also? Damn, Shiki and Komachi are scary when they mean business)
    MoF: Actually found it pretty hard. Nitori messes me up a lot because I barely can see her lasers, and Aya is real dangerous. Took me ages to realize the trick on Kanako's pillars of Onbashira, and Mountain of Faith is not to be underestimated.
    SA: AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! . This thing is my Kryptonite. Barely ever I manage to get past Orin, and then Utsuho finishes me off. The fact Marisa doesn't have a single decent shot type doesn't help. Still not 1CCd, doubt I ever will.
    UFO: Loved it. Murasa is harder than any Stage 4 boss has any right to be, And Shou has a couple really nasty tricks, but other than that, the game's not all that hard. Byakuren in particular has the easiest Final Spellcard in the history of ever. You just dodge up and down vertically. 1CCd Normal, haven't beat Extra yet because of the accursed Danmaku Chimera.
    DS: Working on it right now, four cards to go to get to EX. Easier than Shoot the Bullet, but still every bit as awesome. ZUN really gets out the best spellcards for the Aya games!

Anyway, as for Mary's moveset, yeah, go for Special Sweeper. This is Marisa we're talking about. You know, the one who is actually on record in canon works saying, paraphrased, "firepower solves everything". Anything else just wouldn't do her justice!
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-17 at 04:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198

I'd prefer Youmu over Yuyuko. I guess I'm weak against swords. (And servants. I like Sakuya, Meiling, Reisen...)

We'll have a chance to pick up a Cirno, right? Because that was a pretty adorable sprite. Not quite The Smuggest as she should be, though...

I don't get what the trainer said that was so creepy...? Maybe I'm better off not knowing.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Not surprised that Mukyue was the first to faint. Bringing Patchy anywhere outside her library, especially a place that requires physical effort like a gym, is recipe for trouble.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Evil Maribel, don't melt Cirno!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

I think a melted ice fairy tastes like a Popsicle, but that is no reason for Maribel to melt Cirno: the Strongest, the first member of the atai squad, the nineball and leader of team nine.

If we are going to catch Cirno sometime later, will she be given the nickname of Suiseiseki to fellow member of team nine Wriggle's Souseiseki?

22. - Top - End - #202

I second this motion to catch a cirno.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

NGHHH

Veins clogging... self... narrating... all your*... fault....

*Prime32 and Fri
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-05-17 at 08:59 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    NGHHH

Veins clogging... self... narrating... all your*... fault....

*Prime32 and Fri
    You better be glad that was Cirno rather than Yuyuko, because if it was Yuyuko, you would suffer Death by Moe.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-05-17 at 12:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

In Gensenkyo, Yuyuko eats you. In Soviet Russia, you eat Yuyuko. Wait... that doesn't sound right. In several different, non-work-safe ways.

My experiences with the games (I suck):
    Spoiler
    Show
    EoSD: I need continues to beat Meiling and Cirno keeps handing me my ass. Sigh.
    PCB: First one I played. Can't get past Youmu without continues and Alice is tough. With continues, I can beat Yuyuko and get one of the bad endings.
    IN: This is the only one of the games I can get the good ending for on normal. I might have 1cc'd it once or twice, I honestly can't remember. I still suck at it.
    IMM: I have little recollection of how I beat it, just that I saw the endings eventually.
    PFV: I really just tried breezing through on easy. All I really cared about was unlocking everyone. Which I can't thanks to Extra, dammit.
    STB: I can't beat a single level in stage 3. Or is that a single stage in level 3? Either way, Alice and Keine are tough.
    MoF: I can't beat level 4, even with Marisa Bugged. There's gotta be something wrong with Momiji, as she never fails to take at least one of my lives. Also, Aya made me experience firsthand the fact that you can still die after the last spellcard in MoF. It was the only time I managed to defeat Aya and I still lost because of a stupid change in the programming.
    SWR: Beat it on normal. And thus began my obsession with Suika. Sure she was in the last fighting game, but she isn't a difficult recurring final boss in this one.
    SA: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! (breathes) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    UFO: Only played the demo. I can't beat Kogasa consistently and I can't even get halfway through Unzen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    IN: People keep saying it's the easiest. Given the Marisa fight and how dangerous Eirin is, I'm calling BS on those people. Still managed to 1CC it, though, after a hell of a lot of tries.
    It's still the easiest to beat, however. Five or six lives, slow mode, extra time for survival bombing*, and you can earn the right to continue while still getting the good ending.

*I have no idea what it's really called.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2010-05-17 at 01:18 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    It's still the easiest to beat, however. Five or six lives, slow mode, extra time for survival bombing*, and you can earn the right to continue while still getting the good ending.

*I have no idea what it's really called.
    Last Spells.

Also, Marisa could have Master Spark replace one of the moves in the Sweeper setups.

(Repost for reference)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A) Standard Special Sweeper

Thunderbolt
    Fire Blast
    Water Pulse
    Mana Charge (raises Special Attack by 2 stages; see Nasty Plot)

This is the most basic sweeping set for Marisa. Nothing fancy or complicated, just boosting your special attack and speed, then destroying everything with STAB moves. This moveset is for EX Marisa.

B) Suicide Sweeper

Blazing Star (Electric, 120 power, 100% accuracy, 1/3 damage recoil; see Volt Tackle)
    Fire Blast
    Water Pulse
    Mana Charge

This setup uses the incredibly strong and accurate Blazing Star to deal heavy damage at a heavy price. Don't expect Marisa to survive tough battles with this setup, but you can expect her to take things down with her. This moveset is for EX Marisa.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

All this talk made me replay SA again. With Reimu B (Suika, for reference). Not the best choice, sure, but I already played Reimu A once. Plus, I missed my homing shots, even if this is a poor substitute.

Needed two continues on Easy. Both on stage 6, oddly enough. I lost some lives to stupid mistakes, but mainly, it was one to the stage 5 boss (honestly, I found Shou worse. And Sanae.) At least, that was the one point bar stage 6 where losing lives was actually appropriate Stage 4, since I somehow avoided dying, was incredibly fun. Even if Satori's last Suika-spellcard is just vicious. Why would anyone take cards from the fighting games? Far too cruel.

Anyway, was fun, so thanks for that. I blame my sudden leap in skill recently - not to mention the drop in sanity - on StB. Evil, evil game.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Well since Master Spark is now automatic, I'm actually going to vote for a modified Sunnybeam setup (in other words, Master Spark, Fire Blast, Solarbeam and Sunny Day). Why? Because too much beam spam is never enough.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    Well since Master Spark is now automatic, I'm actually going to vote for a modified Sunnybeam setup (in other words, Master Spark, Fire Blast, Solarbeam and Sunny Day). Why? Because too much beam spam is never enough.
    Your statement implies that there can be such a thing as too much beam spam. This is factually incorrect.

That aside, Solarbeam/Sunny Day has been one of my favourite combos in a lot of games.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

I second the beam spam set, because if it moves, Marissa will spark it. If it doesn't she will attempt to steal it.