Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    The trainers are level freaking 80?
    It gets worse. Oh god, does it ever get worse.

Mirrinus: While I did grind up to the appropriate level the normal way myself, may I suggest sparing your sanity by means of quick Gameshark levelling instead of grinding?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Mirrinus: While I did grind up to the appropriate level the normal way myself, may I suggest sparing your sanity by means of quick Gameshark levelling instead of grinding?
    That would result in weaker mons than grinding, since their EVs don't increase.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

That would result in weaker mons than grinding, since their EVs don't increase.
    Not quite, there's a code where you just hold... one of the triggers, I forget, after an opponent faints, and the XP rolls in for as long as you see fit. Functionaly, I assume, identical to fighting something that just happened to give a pile of XP. That, and as far as I remember, EV doesn't increase past L50. So I'm told, anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Not quite, there's a code where you just hold... one of the triggers, I forget, after an opponent faints, and the XP rolls in for as long as you see fit. Functionaly, I assume, identical to fighting something that just happened to give a pile of XP. That, and as far as I remember, EV doesn't increase past L50. So I'm told, anyway.
    Incorrect. You always get exactly 3 EVs per fight (every mon to take part receives them, with the figures depending on the species of the opponent). The only cap is that you can have only 255 EVs in one stat, and 500 total (figures may be off, but it's something like that). Lv100s can't gain EVs (except possibly through a method which involved putting them in a box after every fight so their stats are recalculated).

Pokérus and the Macho Brace each have the effects of doubling the EVs you gain in battle, and there's a guy in one game who'll give you an Effort Ribbon for a mon who has max EVs.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-06-28 at 06:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Incorrect. You always get exactly 3 EVs per fight (every mon to take part receives them, with the figures depending on the species of the opponent). The only cap is that you can have only 255 EVs in one stat, and 500 total (figures may be off, but it's something like that). Lv100s can't gain EVs (except possibly through a method which involved putting them in a box after every fight so their stats are recalculated).

Pokérus and the Macho Brace each have the effects of doubling the EVs you gain in battle, and there's a guy in one game who'll give you an Effort Ribbon for a mon who has max EVs.
    Bah.

Humbug to you, good sir, for knowing more than I ever will.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #546
    Dwarf in the Playground

Prime is correct. Yes, even on the numbers.
    However, for what it's worth, the Effort Ribbon (or a similar badge, depending on the game) is in every game since RS, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Heh, i see that Maribel is starting to behave more like a proper Touhou character in regards to who she is crushing on. Makes sense to me.

As for who to use...

China-Li, and seriously did anybody think i wouldn't vote for Meiling?
    Magic Mary, she is your starter after all.
    Mukyue, yes, i'm totally playing favorites.
    Tachikoma, though i still think that having your tank around might be a good idea.
    Souseiseki, and having other support might help too.
    Yakitori, we won't get to see much of her otherwise.
    I agree with this setup, but substituting China-Li for Myazaki due to personal preference. Also, a ghost-type will come in handy against Agatha - especially since Myon is also a steel-type, so she doesn't suffer double damage from Ghost attacks herself.

Also, just to show how accurate the name is:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Immaterial and Missing Power
    Reimu: Gee~z, can't you listen to your target without slashing them?
    Youmu: You're wrong. Slashing will tell me who the target should be.
    Youmu: Well, when we assume that the person who produces spiritual mist stays here, there's no doubt that this is the place.
    Patchouli: So?
    Youmu: I'm here to slash it.
    Youmu: When I slashed you, did I also slash your memory? But even so, again, you're getting slashed.
    For context: Youmu has a sword that reveals the truth/"cuts through people's confusion". Must be nice combining 'ask questions' and 'smite' into one easy step, without having to worry about priorities.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-06-28 at 06:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Now read that spoiler again, but instead of reading slash as 'to cut', read it as 'to make erotic fiction of'.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Now read that spoiler again, but instead of reading slash as 'to cut', read it as 'to make erotic fiction of'.
    I lol'd. Someone should make a doujin out of this.
    It wouldn't be the strangest one by far.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-06-28 at 06:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Banned

While i like Meiling a lot more than Youmu. I mean Youmu is fine, but hardly one of my favorites, while Meiling is the one i like the most. So i stand by my vote for her over Youmu. Who can't love a hapless, lazy and at times overenthusiastic gate guard who is still very friendly, kind and helpful to those she feels close to?

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mechanics aside, it's a matter of personal preference and exposure, really. PCB was my first game, and I've tried my hand at EoSD exactly once so far, which is basically the only game she has any sort of importance in. So I'm more like "yeah, okay" towards Meiling. But then again, I don't hate the Watatsuki sisters, so obviously I'm weird.

Also, I think you might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPkU4Dhpznk (Some mildly NSFW pics in the slideshow)
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-06-28 at 07:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, i see that Maribel is starting to behave more like a proper Touhou character in regards to who she is crushing on. Makes sense to me.

As for who to use...

China-Li, and seriously did anybody think i wouldn't vote for Meiling?
    Magic Mary, she is your starter after all.
    Mukyue, yes, i'm totally playing favorites.
    Tachikoma, though i still think that having your tank around might be a good idea.
    Souseiseki, and having other support might help too.
    Yakitori, we won't get to see much of her otherwise.
    I'm also voting for this team, but I would rather give Mouku the nickname Phoenix or Signum.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Firbolg in the Playground

For a nickname, how about Lina? Or Mustang?

Who can't love a hapless, lazy and at times overenthusiastic gate guard who is still very friendly, kind and helpful to those she feels close to?
    Sakuya?

*ducks*

13. - Top - End - #553
    Banned

*ducking isn't powerful enough to avoid a harissen strengthened by the power of love rampant shipping*

Though i do support the idea of calling Mokou by the name Mustang.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Also Sakuya can stop time, ensuring that you will be hit regardless of ducking.

As for the nickname Mustang, do any of the girl in Touhou wear TINY MINISKIRTS?

15. - Top - End - #555

Ouch. Worth it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    As for the nickname Mustang, do any of the girl in Touhou wear TINY MINISKIRTS?
    Yes, and she's a soldier to boot.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Banned

Or an action hero depending on the artist in question. She also proves that a small herbivore is one of the most badass animals around.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or an action hero depending on the artist in question. She also proves that a small herbivore is one of the most badass animals around.
    Or just insane.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-06-28 at 08:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558

China-Li, Magic Mary, Mukyue, Tachikoma, Rangiku, and Yakitori. Haven't seen Rangiku in a gym fight yet and Yakitori won't likely be seen otherwise.

Phoenix and Signum sound like good alternatives to "grilled chicken".
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

I am heartily in favor of Mustang for this firestarter. This twisted firestarter.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

You always get exactly 3 EVs per fight (every mon to take part receives them, with the figures depending on the species of the opponent). The only cap is that you can have only 255 EVs in one stat, and 500 total (figures may be off, but it's something like that).
    Almost right. You get # for what stage the Poke/Touhoumon is, for example, Caterpie gives you 1, Metapod gives you 2, and Butterfree gives you 3. The max total for EVs is 510, and every 4 EVs gives you 1 point in the stat, effectively making stat max at 252, and you have two extra points for some odd reason. Most sets you'll want a 252/252/4 spread.
    Last edited by Penguinator; 2010-06-28 at 10:34 AM.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll rename Mokou "Mustang", but I've already screencapped the next segment, so the correction will have to wait.

I'm already done with EV training, actually, so that's not a problem either. I told you I was meticulous about these things.

I didn't really expect anyone to submit suggestions for who to use already, since there was still some information that I wanted to give regarding who to level up to 80+ (such as new movesets, etc.). But since you're all so kind in offering suggestions, I'll use them for the last gym battle.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hm? Oh, I was making sure everybody got their information fed to them correctly. Remember, if you ever have any questions, consult serebii.net! Or bulbapedia, that works, too.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #563

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 8-4

Spoiler
    Show
    It really baffles me how no one has figured out that the Team Rocket base for the Sevii Islands was located here on Five Island. Pretty much the only notable landmark on the whole island is this mysterious warehouse surrounded by Team Rocket members. I mean, it's not even hidden underground or anything!

I know what you're thinking, but I'm not going to say it. I'm not going to do it. I'm not...oh, all right, I will.

Worst. Law enforcement. Ever.

To my chagrin, the Rocket members stationed here seemed to have some rather beefy leveled Touhoumon. Does spouting math references somehow drop your Touhoumon's levels or something? If Team Rocket had such strong henchman all long, why didn't they throw them at me before? Don't tell me they have a sorting algorithm for this kind of nonsense.

The higher levels and lack of math puns weren't the only things new about these Rocketeers. The other difference involves longer hair and a pair of Toho orbs located higher up on the body.

You know, I would have never guessed that Team Rocket was an equal opportunity employer. They may be an evil gang of kidnappers and brainwashers, but by golly, they stand for gender equity with their hiring policies! I suppose every evil organization still has to have some standards.

Battling my way through the forest of Team Rocket grunts, I made my way to the warehouse and input the two nonsensical passwords. It suddenly occurred to me that before I go in, maybe I ought to swipe a female Rocket member's uniform and disguise myself, just in case that would help avoid any unnecessary confrontations. I entertained the notion for a while, noting that their hats were kind of cool, but in the end I decided it just wasn't worth putting on those tacky miniskirts. Tiny miniskirts as part of a uniform? Who came up with that idea? Ugh, I take back what I said about gender equity in Team Rocket.

Before, I managed to get by on the Sevii Islands by just avoiding confrontations with hostile trainers. However, the ridiculous workspace design of the Rocket Warehouse made avoiding enemies rather difficult, and forced me into some tough battles. It soon became apparent that hacking my way through with a traditional sweeping strategy just wasn't going to cut it. It works well against your run-of-the-mill trainer, as their individual Touhoumon usually went down with just a single hit. However, foes that are at a much higher level are capable of surviving and countering with a devastating blow. So rather than just relying on brute force, I figured I needed something a lot craftier.

That something was the nifty TM06 that Koga had given me earlier. Poison cares not whether the afflicted target is strong or weak, as it will take them down all the same. Once Toxic has afflicted my opponent, it was only a matter of stalling for time until they succumb to its relentless grasp. It just so happens that my team is well-suited for that task. Many possess ways to recover health, giving us plenty of resources to outwait our foes.

Avoiding what I could, I made it to what appeared to be the main office of the warehouse in one piece. However, the woman guarding the door proved to be a cut above the rest, in battle prowess if not personal wisdom.

I soon learned that Tachikoma was far too valuable to leave exposed for any significant length of time, so I must only use her to inflict Toxic before quickly fleeing so that someone else can take the brunt of my opponent's attack. Regrettably, several sacrificial lambs were needed to buy enough time for the poison to do its work. The Rocket's Dark EX Momiji was a shocking surprise, capable of countering the usual ghost types that I used for walling her previous forms. But even after I managed to outlast her, the Dark EX Suika exacerbated the situation with her potent Sandstream ability.

With a sandstorm somehow tearing it up inside the building (I really need to figure out how this one works), we were faced with residual damage on top of the Dark EX Suika's excellent spread of attack types. Thankfully, China-Li was able to withstand the punishment for a remarkable number of turns by simply slacking off (again, I need to figure out how this works).

Oddly enough, the Rocket took her loss gracefully and even allowed me a chance to return to the Eirin Center for some much-needed healing. Are all female villains this kind and considerate? Or has being forced to wear a tiny miniskirt uniform while losing to a clueless blonde finally made her realize how low she's sunk in her life? Poor girl, I almost feel sorry for her.

After a quick rest, we were ready to face the leader of the operation. Surprisingly enough, he wasn't Italian.

Eh? You mean all this was just a set-up to eliminate little ol' me? I don't know whether to be terrified or honored that I'm considered such a threat to the world itself. Surely you're exaggerating, right? I mean, I know I've littered a little, and sometimes leave the water running when I'm brushing my teeth, but that doesn't mean I'm going to destroy the world!

I went with the same strategy that brought me victory earlier: poisoning my opponent and stalling for time. As expected, it worked like a charm, except for the very same roadblock that nearly ruined me last time: Dark EX Suika. Once again, dealing with her went from "walling every attack and recovering back all health" to "throwing things in her way and hope I don't run out before she succumbs to Toxic." Yeah, packing Cross Chop, Rock Slide, Thunder Punch, and Steel Fist on top of Sandstream and very high levels tends to lead to such a situation.

It was a bitter struggle, but I eventually managed to put down even this Team Rocket admin. He bitterly said something about how this wasn't over and that Giovanni will be the one to finish this for Team Rocket, but I kind of got used to death threats by now, so I sort of just ignored him and let him run off. I was more interested in recovering Celio's sapphire anyway.

I found the scientist who stole it cowering in the back of the warehouse. With Team Rocket no longer sheltering him, it should be easy enough to kick his-

Oh, wait, my bad. Apparently he has super-high-level Touhoumon as well, just like everyone else on these blasted islands. And with my usual team exhausted from the battle against the Team Rocket admin, I should be easy pickings, right?

Wrong. So very wrong. For starters, who said that was all I had with me? Oh, did I not mention our latest member?

I picked her up while taking a bit of time off at Seven Island earlier. Not only is she at a notably higher level than the rest of my team, but she's able to apply the same strategy that Tachikoma was using to enemies that are normally immune to poison, thanks to her cute little penchant for burning things.

Thanks largely to the efforts of our newest teammate, we put the scientist in his place and snatched the coveted sapphire from him. Of course, that wasn't the only reward we had earned.

Satisfied with a good day's work, I returned to One Island exhausted but triumphant. I couldn't wait to deliver the good news to Celio and see just what the whole ruby/sapphire business was all about.

What?! You mean all that work I did was just so you could hook up with your girlfriend? What a waste of time! I feel so...used.

Angrily, I stormed out of the Eirin Center without so much as a good-bye. I was sick of these stupid islands with its ridiculously high-leveled trainers and utterly pointless sidequests. Good riddance to such rubbish.

Well...there was still one good thing I got out of it. I figured before I left, I really ought to visit Lorelei one more time. I did promise her, after all.

Huh? Where'd she go? Her house was completely devoid of all life when I dropped by, although the stares from the many dolls still made me feel unwelcome somehow. I inquired around town a bit, and found out that she left town just recently all of a sudden, but no one could tell me where she went. Weird.

I hope we'll still see each other again someday.

I wasn't sure how to end this sidequest at first, but once it occurred to me that Maribel should have no clue who Lanette was, this was just the logical outcome.

Next up is the last gym challenge, so of course I'll still be accepting requests for who to use against the gym leader, as usual.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

24. - Top - End - #564
    Banned

Yeeeep, it appears that all the guys just try to get Maribel's hopes up and then dashing them. Which is why she is doing the right thing in seeking solace in Lorelei's arms!

Also i find it quite fitting that your Mokou has a serious nature, even if serious isn't quite the word i'd use for that badass sprite.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Dwarf in the Playground

Giovanni is the Earth leader. Beach Alice is a Water/Ice touhou. I think you know where I'm going with this. Also, Alice in a swimsuit.

Oh, and...
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-06-29 at 06:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering the previous encounters with Giovanni, you will need someone effective against a Suika and any ground types. Tachikoma and Mustang should also come along for continual damage through toxic and will-o-wisp respectively.

I wonder if Roy Mustang is responsible for all female Rockets wearing tiny miniskirts.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-06-29 at 08:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeeeep, it appears that all the guys just try to get Maribel's hopes up and then dashing them. Which is why she is doing the right thing in seeking solace in Lorelei's arms!
    > Quickly retrieve arms from Lorelei.

Wait... I think I'm getting my memes mixed up.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    Considering the previous encounters with Giovanni, you will need someone effective against a Suika and any ground types. Tachikoma and Mustang should also come along for continual damage through toxic and will-o-wisp respectively.

I wonder if Roy Mustang is responsible for all female Rockets wearing tiny miniskirts.
    Well, the continual damage was mostly necessary because the Rockets' touhoumon on Five Island were ridiculously overleveled in comparison to Mari's. Since Giovanni is just a regular gym leader, he ought to be unaffected (mons in the realm of 50-60, I'd assume), so we should be able to get away with the usual tactics.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Shinku and China-Li should help with Giovanni, unless of course his touhou aren't part-rock like normal pokemon.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #570

Interesting fact about Giovanni: in this game, he seems to just ignore his own official representative type. He'll have only one ground type during the gym battle, which also happens to be the only one weak to water, given that rock lost that particular weakness in this game.