Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Good luck!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

Throughout this Let's Play, I've been changing the game's text and dropping hints everywhere, as shortly after I started I already had an ending in mind. It's changed a bit over time (*coughTWEWYcough*), but the core of it has remained intact. At last, it's time for the payoff where everything finally comes together. Things will be a bit different from now on, but I hope you all will enjoy the rest of this last chapter as I try my hardest to make it as epic and interesting as possible.

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 9-2

Spoiler
    Show
    So this is it. All the silliness, all the banter, all the contemplation about this world has somehow lead to this final challenge. I took a deep breath, and stepped on in past the last door separating me from the legendary Elite Four. As I entered the room, I gasped, inhaling a lungful of chilled air that nearly made me cough. However, it wasn't the temperature that made me gasp. It was the person who stood before me.

"Lorelei?" I choked out, struggling to adjust to the frosty climate.

She greeted me with the same warm smile from before. "I had high hopes for you back when we first met, Maribel. You've truly exceeded my expectations, and saved my hometown from Team Rocket in the process. You have my utmost thanks for that."

Wow, so she was a member of the Elite Four all along? Looks like I was right to idolize her. Glancing around the room, I noticed that I was standing in an arena with ice columns surrounding us. "So...aren't we suppose to battle now, I guess?"

"There's no need for that," she replied, still showing that winning smile. "You've already passed the tests we've laid out for you to measure your abilities, and we'd like to ask you to join us. I'm sure you'll be a great part of our plan."

I couldn't believe my ears. "Awesome!" I cried. But suddenly, a little voice of suspicion in the back of my mind made me inquire a bit further. "Er, what do you mean by tests? Do you mean the eight gym badges?"

"There was that, yes, but there was also the extermination of Team Rocket, of course. Those criminals lead by Giovanni have been opposing our plan from the very beginning. Truthfully speaking, we of the Elite Four are powerful enough to have destroyed their plots on our own, but our leader wisely chose to let you handle it instead. We've marked you out as our top candidate ever since the start of your journey, and closely monitored your progress."

As she spoke she reached out for my hand, grasping it to reassure me. "You've done so well, it's only fair that I explain what you've been through. We of the Elite Four were with you each step of the way in the battle against Team Rocket. Remember Team Rocket's hideout in Celadon City? The elderly lady who contacted you afterwards and pointed you in the right direction was one of us. The members of Saffron's Fighting Dojo were also disciples of another one of our members, keeping an eye on the developments at Silph Company." She laughed a bit when she said that. "Of course, I heard they weren't very courteous with you."

"And then there was my role in the Sevii Islands. I admit, I was pretty underhanded there. I feared that you were so preoccupied with your quest for those silly gemstones that you'd ignore Team Rocket's activities, since they weren't directly related to you. So I took matters into my own hands." Lorelei flashed a playfully devious smirk as she continued. "Ever wondered how that scientist knew just where to find the sapphire, and got there right when you did? Who do you think told him where to find it, and who to sell it to?"

I admit, at this point my heart sank a little. "That was you?"

"Indeed it was. I even collected the other half of the password to Team Rocket's base, and fed it to the scientist to pass on to you. I'm pleased to say that worked out perfectly." She tilted her head down a bit while still fixing her gaze on me. I could almost swear she was going for the puppy dog look. "Will you forgive me for deceiving you?"

"Of course," I said with the slightest amount of hesitation. "I mean, everything turned out okay, right? And I suppose I'm now part of your plan, then, which is..."

"I'm glad you asked." The smile faded from her face as she put on a serious expression. "Our leader mentioned it when he first met you, but I suppose this is the first time we could it to you straight. We of the Elite Four will eradicate all those who mistreat Touhoumon."

"Wait, what?! By 'eradicate,' you mean..."

Lorelei spoke in a tone that assured me this was no joke. "I mean to destroy, wipe out, kill. The same thing that unscrupulous so-called trainers do to Touhoumon every day. I know you've met the dredges of our society during your journey, and I hope you can come to see it our way. The Elite Four is dedicated to the welfare of all Touhoumon. All we desire is for these wonderful creatures to live in peace and safety, with the best of our race harmoniously co-existing with them. And we can't do this without you."

"H-hold on just a minute," I stuttered in reply. "I didn't sign on for any genocide here. As admirable as your goals are, I really don't think I can be any part of that. I mean, where I come from, that'd be considered murder."

"Means and methods are insignificant in the eyes of justice, dear," she said as she made some gesture with her arm. Her disappointment with me showed as her voice quivered a little. "I do hope you'll one day come to see it our way."

Suddenly, the two doors on either side of the room closed shut.

"I respect you as a trainer, Maribel, so how about a little wager? Let's have a Touhoumon battle right here. If I win, you join us."

"And if I win, you'll reconsider your plan?" I asked.

She laughed at my naive insolence. "Of course not. But you will be one step closer to leaving this place. Now, let's begin!"

"You probably aren't very familiar with my Touhoumon," she said as she released her first orb. "We of the Elite Four like to use some very rare and powerful breeds."

Lorelei started off with a Cirno, or so I thought, but her Touhoumon grasped an enormous sword. Given the decor of the room as well as her starting choice, it was easy to figure out her preferential element. I lead with my own fiery tomboy. "Go, Mustang!"

"Cirno! Cut her down with Braver!"

"Not good enough! Mustang, Fujiyama Volcano! Incinerate all!"

With her energy still high, Mustang unleashed an enormous explosion that shook the whole room, even bringing down an ice column or two. Lorelei's Cirno was no match for this epic firestorm.

Lorelei wiped some sweat off her brow after recovering from the intense heat. "Looks like I underestimated you. I really should have known better, given all you've accomplished so far. Sakuya, you're next! Earthquake!"

This I've definitely seen before from Renko, even if she does look somewhat different. I knew just how to handle the situation. "Mustang, keep up the fireworks! Fujiyama Volcano, again!"

"Of course, I didn't expect to win with just that," said Lorelei as her Sakuya and Mustang exchanged heavy blows. "The power of the attack you chose fluctuates wildly with your Touhoumon's strength. Sakuya was a necessary loss to weaken Mokou enough for me to finish off with little difficulty. Now you face one of my best: Alice!"

This version of Alice was certainly very different from my Shinku, but I knew just what she was capable of all the same. Sensing no need to fight a losing battle, a change of Touhoumon was in order here.

"Alice, show no mercy! Psychic!"

I acted just in the nick of time. "Enough of this. Mustang, return! Let's see how well our mages fare against one another. Mukyue, let's go!"

Mukyue, with her unsurpassed mystical defenses, shruggled off Alice's attack like it was nothing. I smirked at Lorelei, trying to show her that she still didn't have me beat. "Let's return the favor with Fire Blast!"

Lorelei sighed as another one of her Touhoumon went down in flames. "It seems I can't hope to beat you in a direct confrontation. Then let's try something different. Sanae, it's time!"

It soon became apparent that I couldn't rely on striking hard with effective attacks against this defensive monstrosity of hers. Even Mukyue's best attacks could only just dent her. If this was Lorelei's best tank, then let's see how she stacks up against another immovable force.

"Let's just see who's the better tank. Tachikoma, wear her down with Toxic!"

"It seems the tide now favors me," Lorelei retorted. "Your little spider will succumb to the chill of Ice Beam. Surely you know that your bug cannot stand the cold?"

Tachikoma bravely weathered multiple blasts of ice, still hanging in there despite her disadvantage. "She can take it. She's handled worse. Tachikoma, Rest!"

"Then it seems we need to step up our own game. The blessings of the goddesses will strengthen us and grant us victory. Miracle Wind!"

A swelling gale filled the room, raising Sanae up and invigorating her body. Lorelei smiled, believing herself to have finally trumped me. "Now, let's try this again. Ice Beam!"

The blasts of ice were larger and more forceful than ever before. Tachikoma staggered under the sheets of frost that pummeled her poor body. Silently, I prayed that she would hold on and endure, when suddenly...

"What?!" exclaimed Lorelei as Sanae collapsed onto the floor, writhing in pain.

"Looks like our strategy won this race," I calmly stated. "Tachikoma, return. You've earned your rest."

Lorelei glared at me, her expression a mix of fury and apprehension. "This may be my last Touhoumon, but I'm not backing down yet! Let's finish this, Yumemi!"

"I agree, it ends here. Shinku, let's wrap this up!"

"You're not going to defeat Yumemi with the little firecrackers you've shown so far," warned Lorelei. "She's the paradox of fire and ice, two diametric opposites, combined into one relentless force. Mana Charge, and prepare to blast apart all our opposition!"

"True, I can't beat you with the same old tactics I've used so far," I mused, "but here's a new trick for you. Shinku, douse her last flame with Surf!"

Before Yumemi could unleash all the magical energy she had stored up, she was swept away in a surge of water, her concentration dissipating in the waves that smothered her. Lorelei could only look on in despair, dejected and beaten.

"You win. But don't think this is over. The Elite Four has still stronger trainers, and they certainly won't be as kind as I. They will make you see things our way."

The door behind her opened as if on cue, and she beckoned me forth. I walked passed her in a daze, still uneasy over what just transpired between me and my idol. As I crossed the threshold, I looked back to see her watching me, forcing herself to smile.

"But if you could do me a favor, Maribel, do try and knock some sense into your next opponent for me. Thanks."
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ngh. I daren't open the spoiler. Guess I'll have to hold off on reading this LP until I've finished TWEWY.

On the other hand, the final team looks pretty badass.

Good luck!

4. - Top - End - #604

Oh, don't worry. I don't spoil a single thing from TWEWY in this update, at least. The Pokemon Special manga, on the other hand...

In all honesty, my own envisioned ending for this story is not the same as TWEWY's. I just borrowed the terminology, the red pin subplot, some of the earlier jokes (like Fuschia and Cinnabar Gym), and the awesomeness of Sho Minamimoto. I'll warn you if there's anything from TWEWY that I might spoil (it might come with either Agatha or Lance, haven't decided yet).
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

5. - Top - End - #605
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suppose it's too late now, but I think your supporters could really benefit from Spikes or a similar attack in there. Between Will-o-Wisp, Toxic, and Roar, you could devastate even teams that are severely overleveled in comparison to yours (such ass the level 100 one you've foreshadowed). Of course, your supporters' movesets are already very tight, so it would be hard to fit in without losing Spider Web from Tachikoma, which you've said you don't want to do.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder how Agatha will turn out because I expect Bruno to be curbstomped. Also it would be an interesting thing to point out that the actions of the Elite Four have brought more harm to Touhoumon.

Edit: Also is it just me, or does that YHSanae look more like a pallet swap of Reimu? And what does YH mean anyway?
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-07-05 at 07:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Banned

Let's just say that the Elite Four might hold a somewhat extreme position, even if saving all those poor touhoumon who get mistreated by their trainers is a worthy goal.

Also Lorelei looks pretty badass, i'd say. Even if i wonder what YH means as well.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

I read somewhere that the YH prefix is used instead of the L prefix because Sanae doesn't have a last word spellcard in the original games. Or it might be instead of the A prefix because she doesn't appear in Marisa Fantasy or Advent Cirno. Something like that.

Where the letters YH come from, though, no idea.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    I read somewhere that the YH prefix is used instead of the L prefix because Sanae doesn't have a last word spellcard in the original games. Or it might be instead of the A prefix because she doesn't appear in Marisa Fantasy or Advent Cirno. Something like that.

Where the letters YH come from, though, no idea.
    According to the video description, that'd be Youkai Hunter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #610

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Oh, don't worry. I don't spoil a single thing from TWEWY in this update, at least. The Pokemon Special manga, on the other hand...
    I caught that by the second picture.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

11. - Top - End - #611

This is absolutely ridiculous.

I just got totally HAX'd by Bruno. It's like he knew that I disliked him, and prayed to the Random Number God to fix the fight so that everything that could go wrong for me and right for him did. There was exactly a 1.25% chance that he could defeat my Alice with his Final Mokou, when otherwise she might have swept his entire team single-handedly. But it happened, somehow. And then it got worse from there.

You'll see what I mean as soon as I get the video ready and type up the next part of the story.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I just got totally HAX'd by Bruno. It's like he knew that I disliked him, and prayed to the Random Number God to fix the fight so that everything that could go wrong for me and right for him did.
    That happens. At least this isn't a Nuzlocke.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Orc in the Playground

Now I'm kinda scared to see what Bruno has in store. D:
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Let's just say he had one character who's... not exactly in keeping with the theme of his team. Gave me a lot of trouble.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

15. - Top - End - #615

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 9-3

Spoiler
    Show
    The next room was a bare sparring arena, occupied by a musclebound maniac that looked like he desparately needed a shower. Immediately, I could tell that this was going to be an unpleasant experience.

"So, you dare reject our offer?!" the man bellowed. "Then it is my duty to crush you beneath our supreme power! You will stand with us, or grovel below us! Kneel before our might!"

He spat on the floor in disgust. "I am Bruno of the Elite Four! Let me make it clear to you that I've never understood what the others saw in you! To me, you are just a weak little girl who does not deserve to join our glorious revolution. And yet you still reject the honor that the others have bestowed upon you! For that, I shall punish your insolence!"

Any fear I may have felt since entering quickly changed into anger at what he was saying. I'm beginning to see just why Lorelei herself couldn't even stand this man.

"If that's how you feel about me, then let's skip the exposition and get straight to the battle," I said, letting my rage fuel my courage.

"Humph, very well! I don't profess to understand the schemes that the others go on and on about, but the one thing I do know is the power of brute force! Maribel! Let's see if you can withstand it!"

Bruno continued to shout, as he didn't seem to have much of an indoor voice. "My Hong Meiling will smash you to pieces! You who shame yourself by giving the name of China cannot hope to compare to our undefiled strength!"

I groaned a little at his over-the-top antics. This was definitely someone who needed to be taught a lesson, and I intended to humiliate him thoroughly. "Let's just see who can overwhelm who. Shinku, Mana Charge!"

I had little doubt that Bruno's team could outmatch mine in a physical confrontation, so I had little incentive to play his game. Instead, I decided to set up for a relentless sweep of his party with our sheer magical might.

"Shinku, let's get ready to lay waste everyone we come across. Ice Beam!"

Despite being heavily outmatched even with his superior levels, Bruno stubbornly chose to stick to his guns. He kept sending out one brute after another, only to fall prey each time to Shinku's effective and enhanced spells.

"Just give it up, Bruno. This little girl's got you outclassed in a different kind of brute force!"

Bruno refused to listen, still sending more of his Touhoumon to their defeat at the hands of Shinku.

"I do not know how to give up, for my strength shall still overcome you! Mokou, Fujiyama Volcano!"

A familiar attack greeted Shinku and I, but I wasn't afraid. After all, unlike Lorelei's, my Shinku was part water type, and shouldn't be defeated by the same fiery tactic. All we had to do was weather that one blast and-

"What?! How did you..." I staggered as Shinku collapsed after just that one blow.

Bruno grinned in triumph. "This is the kind of overwhelming power that I have dedicated my whole life to! With our sheer determination, we will land the critical blows that turn the tide of battle! Maribel, I hope you're prepared for this!"

Shocked at the loss, I recalled Shinku and silently swore to avenge her. "Mukyue, let's return the favor! Five Elements!"

Mukyue and Mokou traded blows for several rounds, each refusing to succumb to the other. Eventually, we were victorious, although not without cost.

"There's still one more for you to face, Maribel! Here's my last and most powerful Touhoumon! Youmu, annihilate your foe! Sakura Splendor!"

With a brilliant flash of cherry petals, Youmu delivered a painful slash across poor Mukyue, who was far to slow to react. I knew she had had enough, and recalled her for a well-earned rest. I still had one more magician in my arsenal, and knew just what to do to end this.

"Magical Mary! Let's finish this with Dragon Meteo!"

As Mary launched her fiery beam to incinerate Youmu, I could practically taste our victory. But just before the blast could roast its target, Youmu just vanished from its path, dashing so fast that I couldn't even see her movement.

"Wait, what? We missed?!"

"And here's the counterattack! Shadow Ball!"

Youmu's attack struck hard, but Mary managed to hang in there, injured yet still standing. Thanks to her Speed Boost, I knew we still had one more shot at this. "We're not missing this time! Mary, Dragon Meteo again!"

"Not fast enough! Youmu, Extreme Speed!"

To my horror, Bruno's Youmu moved even faster than before. Even though we began our attack first, it was like she practically teleported to Mary's side and struck her. Hard.

"No! Mary!" I cried, frantically trying to think of what to do next. The three fallen mages were vital to my strategy. China-Li couldn't do much against a half-ghost like Youmu, and the still-sleeping Tachikoma can't poison her either. All I had left was Mustang, but she had expended much of her firepower against Lorelei, and had maybe only one more shot of Fujiyama Volcano left in her. We had to make it count. "It's all up to you, Mustang!"

"I know Mokou's tricks well," Bruno retorted. "She needs tremendous stamina to use her best attack properly, and we shall deprive you of that very resource! Youmu, obliterate her with Shadow Ball!"

With the strength of Youmu's powerful blows keeping Fujiwara Volcano from reaching its peak performance, we couldn't hope to defeat her with our one remaining blast like that. We needed an alternate plan first. "Mustang, use Will-o-wisp!"

The blazing ghostfire encircled the half-ghost and left hideous burn scars over the physical half of her body. I wanted to cringe at the sight, but I needed to see this through.

"What do you hope to accomplish with this cowardly act?!" demanded Bruno.

"Enough to cripple your offense and buy us time! Now, Mustang, Recover!"

With Youmu's strength diminished and Mustang quickly outpacing any damage with her regeneration ability, we stood poised to take back this contest. There was no way that I was going to lose to this man. And besides, even after what we've been through, I still had fulfill Lorelei's favor.

"Let's see you dodge this. Mustang, torch up the whole place! Fujiwara Volcano!"

The firey blast from the now-healed Mustang rocked the whole room as I dove for cover behind a stone pillar. Our last-ditch attack struck Youmu dead-on, and knocked Bruno himself down on the floor. Right on cue, the door behind him opened. I did not hesitate to recall Mustang and make a run for it.

"Welcome to Gensokyo!" I shouted back as I crossed the next threshold. "Here, you'd do well not to insult any little girls!"

Yeah, the battle with him didn't go anything like I had planned it would, thanks to his Final Mokou's crazy Quick Claw (20% chance) x critical hit (6.25% chance) hax to ruin my sweeping strategy. The good thing about the whole incident was that it made for a much more exciting battle to write about. In hindsight, I think I'm fortunate that it happened the way it did, because otherwise I don't know how else I'd have made this segment more interesting. I mean, Bruno doesn't strike me as the expository type, so I didn't really want him spending the whole time developing the plot, you know?
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-07-05 at 07:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #616

Pretty cool.

Of course, your team is looking quite beat up now. No healing to fix stuff like Sleep in between battles?

17. - Top - End - #617
    Banned

Hard to take a big, buff, very Japanese martial artist named Bruno seriously. Well, of course it is hard to take anybody named Bruno seriously, but this just makes it harder.

His skill at smashing your team does make it easier though.

18. - Top - End - #618

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Pretty cool.

Of course, your team is looking quite beat up now. No healing to fix stuff like Sleep in between battles?
    I'll heal before the next match, of course. I was just feeling too confident about Bruno, and, well, you know what happened.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll heal before the next match, of course. I was just feeling too confident about Bruno, and, well, you know what happened.
    So I guess you have several full restores and elixirs/ethers in your inventory. I guess for the next battle, China will be useless as always.

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    So I guess you have several full restores and elixirs/ethers in your inventory. I guess for the next battle, China will be useless as always.
    You'd think that, but...

21. - Top - End - #621

WARNING: This segment does contain references that may spoil parts of the last chapter of The World Ends With You, particularly the master plan of the main antagonist and his motives behind it. If you don't want to spoil this good game for yourself, you've now been warned.

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 9-4

Spoiler
    Show
    The next room was another barren arena, with a thin veil of fog obscuring the air. Looking ahead, I saw the old woman who contacted me back in Celadon city. Thanks to what Lorelei told me, I wasn't surprised at all.

"I am very disappointed in you, dear child." The old crone spoke slowly, but her voice sounded like it was tempered with steel. Unlike the previous trainer, who brandished his strength loudly, this woman kept hers like a closely guarded secret.

"Lance often spoke of you as the bright star of the future. It is truly a shame that your ideals do not conform to ours. Oh, but I suppose such is to be expected when one puts their hope in the younger generation."

She stepped towards me and gestured with her cane. "You remind me of one of my former pupils. Like yourself, he showed so much potential when it came to raising and battling Touhoumon. He also believed that this world was corrupt, and needed to be cleansed. Back when the Elite Four was still little more than Lance and myself, we offered that man a chance to join us in our quest to purge this world. Yet like you, that man chose to betray us, and has chosen to pursue his own agenda against us all this time. But none of this should come as a surprise to you; after all, you've met the man yourself. His name was Giovanni."

Actually, that did come as a surprise to me. It just occurred to me that despite our many confrontations, I still had not understood just what Giovanni was after.

"My former pupil wanted to change the world just like we did, but he loathed the idea of killing even the scum of society. He broke all ties to us, and founded his own clandestine organization of whatever grunts he could scavenge. It was some time later before we discovered that he had a plan to gain control of the masses and force them to conform to his view of an ideal society. I am speaking, of course, of the red skull pins, of which even you yourself possess. The poor fool thought that if all individuality was erased, then people would obey and become good, so that our plan to eradicate them would no longer be necessary. He actually believed that slavery was preferable over death! What silly nonsense."

She laughed a coarse laugh before regaining her stern composure. "Oh, but I have been so rude to you so far, not even properly introducing myself! I am Agatha of the Elite Four. Do not be afraid of me; after all, I am far more civilized than that brute you've just had the pleasure of meeting. If you wish, go ahead and take the time to heal your Touhoumon. Call me old-fashioned, but being enemies is no excuse for being discourteous."

I obeyed her suggestion, thankful that at least she had some honor to her. I reached for the potions that I had stockpiled but never used, but I admit I was distracted while performing the task. My mind still reeling over the revelation of what Team Rocket had been doing, I could scarcely speak, but tried to anyway. "S-so, all this time you've been having me do your own dirty work?"

"Oh-ho, yes, dear child," said Agatha. "You were our prized piece in our bid to win Giovanni's little game, and you played the role wonderfully! But cheer up, child. I'm sure you wouldn't think that Giovanni's plan to enslave the world is any more virtuous than ours, correct?"

I had to pause for a moment before answering. "Maybe not, but that still doesn't justify either of your sides. And I refuse to be your pawn any longer."

"We'll see about that, dear. I will be your next opponent."

"Let's see how a young upstart like you measures up against a wizened veteran like myself. I'll begin with my invitation to the darkness. Come forth, Rumia!"

I've seen many forms of Rumia before, but none quite like this one. Still, if she's anything like the others, then I knew just who to handle her. "China-Li, let's do this!"

Our representative Touhoumon began their brawl by trading blows. It soon became clear that both favored defense, and neither one could overwhelm the other. However, I was confident that I had the advantage.

"It seems this will be far too boring if we left this battle like this, so allow me to turn this to my favor by turning your own strength against you. Rumia, use Swagger!"

Rumia let loose a cloud of murky darkness that enveloped China-Li, strengthening her significantly, but enraging her so that she would no longer obey my commands. Agatha smirked as she commanded Rumia to go in for the kill, but I wasn't lacking in tricks of my own.

"China-Li, dispel your confusion, and use Brick Break!" Instantly, China-Li snapped out of her berserk trance and delivered a massive blow to Rumia, backed by the enhanced strength that she had been granted.

Agatha gasped in shock. "How did you..."

"Persim berries," I replied, vindicated by my victory. "Magical Mary's been picking up berries ever since I first met her, and I've got a bag full of them. They're just the thing to clear the mind and bring anyone back to their senses."

Her cunning smile returned to her face, as if acknowledging that I would be a worthy opponent. "Impressive, dear child. I won't underestimate you again. In fact, here's an opponent that I prepared just for you. Yuyuko, appear and use Amnesia."

Agatha's Yuyuko took on an expression of emptiness, letting herself achieve a blank state of mind. "I've seen your battles with Lorelei and Bruno," said Agatha, "and I know that you rely too much on your magical sweepers. With Yuyuko's Amnesia protecting her from your magic, you cannot hope to defeat her."

Not wishing to find out if what she said was true or not, I decided not to risk it. "China-Li, let loose your Roar!"

China-Li released a mighty cry that could scare away any intruder. Even Agatha's Yuyuko could not resist the deafening warcry, leaping back into her orb and forcing a fellow comrade out instead.

"You're only delaying the inevitable, child," warned Agatha. "Kana, Hypnosis."

With China-Li now drifting off to sleep, I quickly recalled her before Agatha could do any more damage. She had exceeded my expectations already for this match, though, so it was now time for the rest of my team to take over. "Mukyue, show her our brand of darkness! Black Wind!"

A powerful gale of magic swept through the room, blowing away much of the fog that lingered and weakened Kana substantially. Agatha gracefully accepted her loss.

"It was a worthy endeavor to seal away your only chance to erase the enhancement gained from Amnesia. But with your crutch sound asleep, how will you plan on dealing with my Yuyuko now?"

"Like this. Tachikoma, you know what to do!"

Just as she always has done, Tachikoma arrived to inflict her brand of deadly poison on our ghostly opponent. The poison didn't seem to take effect at first, but I knew from experience that its strength will intensify at the most crucial moment. I just hoped Agatha wouldn't notice until it was too late. Tachikoma was doing a great job of enduring Yuyuko's attacks, but leaving her out too long without doing anything would only make Agatha more suspicious. I needed to distract her.

"Your earth spider is unable to injure Yuyuko with any direct attacks, is it not? My ghosts' ability to levitate will restrict your options greatly."

I reached for an orb and got ready to switch. "Perhaps you're right. Let's have a change them. Magical Mary will take over this fight!"

"Oh? You plan to try to overcome our immense defenses?" inquired Agatha, amused.

"Of course!" I bluffed. "Magical Mary, Mana Charge!"

"We won't be giving you enough time to prepare. Yuyuko, Shadow Ball!"

Mary could only trust me as I let her take the attack. Her faith did not go unrewarded, though, as after the attack Yuyuko drooped lower and lower in the air before finally collapsing to the ground.

Agatha's sarcastic displeasure seeped into her voice as she spoke. "Well played, child. Even this old teacher can appreciate a good pupil. If only you would agree to join us. Oh, how thankless the young are towards the older generation! Perhaps my Mima could persuade you."

Seeing the strange new Touhoumon before us, Mary hesitated. I, however, was undaunted by Agatha's speech and could not be deterred. "Magical Mary, show her what this pupil can do! MASTER SPARK!!!"

With all the magical energy that Mary had built up against Yuyuko, she unleashed an enormous blast of raw energy, delivering a crushing direct hit. Her opponent didn't even stand a chance against that single attack.

"I've been an old fool all this time, thinking I could slowly savor this battle," said Agatha, shaking her head. "You've overcome so many of my defenses that I've painstakingly built over the years, and it had all been for naught. In light of this, all I can do now is unleash my own best offense. You've defeated one of my precious Yuyuko partners, but now I'll have my revenge with the other."

Agatha released another Yuyuko, but this one looked different. While the former was easy-going, this one looked serious. I beckoned for Magical Mary to return, knowing that she had expended much of her energy with her last attack, and was in no condition to remain in battle. But to my surprise, she refused to return, wanting to see this through to the bitter end.

"A-are you sure about this?" I asked, not expecting her to answer me straight. "Uh...all right then, Dragon Meteo!"

Mary delivered another solid blow, but it was not enough to down Yuyuko. Agatha still had her revenge. "Leaf Blade," she whispered. A barrage of razor-sharp leaves spread forth from Yuyuko's fan, striking Mary dead-on. I couldn't bear to let this continue any longer, and recalled her immediately.

"This ends here, Agatha!" I cried. "You may mock my mages all you'd like, but we've got more than enough firepower to defeat a senile old coot! Shinku, Ice Beam!"

Agatha's last Touhoumon fell to the ground amidst a flurry of ice, the chill of winter smothering her ghost's cherry blossoms. Agatha only nodded her head slowly, as if nothing could phase her anymore. "Even victory is no excuse for name-calling, child. But I digress; you win this round. However, the worst is still to come. Go on, and face the strongest of the Elite Four."

As I treated Magical Mary's wounds while walking to the newly-opened corridor, Agatha still had one last thing to say to me.

"You poor, ignorant child. Do you still not know why we chose you and you alone for our plan? No matter; you will find out soon enough."

Well, so much for all the easy battles. Now it really gets difficult. From here on out, I'd consider myself lucky if I survive with just a single character left standing.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

So China was useful for once, but I was expecting all of Agatha's team to be resistant to fighting. And we finally see Master Spark in action.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-07-07 at 07:21 AM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Banned

She's been useful before in this let's play and she is quite frequently not useless in doujins of various kinds.

Also what a nice old lady. Not genocidal or mean spirited or arrogant or anything! Having two Yuyukos seem like a sure way of ruining yourself, though. Think about all the food they are going to need.

24. - Top - End - #624

To be fair, the last one looks like it isn't a lazy bum who eats all day.

25. - Top - End - #625

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 9-5

Spoiler
    Show
    When I first began this journey, I met a red-haired young man who told me to become an exemplary trainer. Now, at the very end of this journey, with all the skills, tactics, and instincts that I've learned, how fitting it is that I would be tested by this very man. For indeed, the final member of the Elite Four was none other than he.

"It has been a long time since we've met in Viridian Forest, Maribel. As I'm sure you've realized by now, I am Lance, the leader of the Elite Four."

Ever since Lorelei dropped the bombshell of the Elite Four's plans on me, I had been hesitant to confront them directly about it. But now, with three of their members left defeated in my wake, I felt as though I finally had the courage to ask the questions that had plagued me.

"You're the only one left, and I want answers!" I demanded. "Why am I so important to you? Couldn't you have picked any other random trainer as your promoted pawn?"

"Come on now, you're a smart girl. I'm sure you've had at least some inkling of why we chose you. Of course, for starters we know your little secret: that you aren't from this world."

That little statement stunned me; I had been careful not to tell people about that, hadn't I? But how did he know? I mean, I know there was Lt. Surge, but other than that...

"Oh, do not be concerned with your own petty mistakes. I knew before I first met you that you were from another world. But more importantly, I knew that you played a special role in this world. Would you like to know what that is?"

I nodded slowly, my gaze intent on watching his every move as he spoke.

"Music requires many things. Melody, performers, instruments...but the key element in the most divine music is a Conductor, to hold it all together. This world is very much the same. As the most powerful trainer of this world, I have held it for years, managing and delegating everything from the gyms to the Eirin Centers. Those who work closely with me refer to me as the Conductor, who will bring all under the sway of my direction. And under one Conductor, one ideal, this world will march toward bliss."

Lance gestured around as he spoke, as if instructing his own invisible orchestra. "But you of all people fall outside of my control! No, it is not solely because you are not from this world. Rather, it is because you possess power far greater than my own. As mighty as the Conductor is, in the end he still remains bound to the score written on his sheet. The one person who can change this score to remake this wretched world is the Composer. And the Composer of this world is you."

Like a key in a lock, suddenly everything clicked together. The mysterious research logs left in the ruined Scarlet Devil Mansion, the fact that this world called itself Gensokyo yet was a twisted mockery of the real realm, and my past visit to Gensokyo: it all fit together.

"It all began with the Strange Space incident that plagued Gensokyo. When you last passed through the Hakurei Barrier, your incredible dormant reality warping powers were unleashed and quickly spiraled out of control, producing an entire world from your fevered imagination. Eventually, your wild powers were contained by a group of Gensokyo's heroes, who brought you back to your senses and sent you home with your powers sealed. However, the world that you created did not just disappear. Yukari Yakumo could not destroy it; only seal it away from Gensokyo, where it grew and mutated into what you see today. The wildlife took on the visage of the explorers who had ventured into the Strange Space, the diverse landscapes fused into a single coherent region, and the lost humans who had been trapped in here before the incident was resolved managed to create their own civilization. As the passage of time here hastened in comparison to the other worlds, all that you see before you came into being from your own creation. You are the Composer that wrote the score for this world."

Lance examined me, as if trying to discern the impact his startling revelation had on my psyche. I did my best to refrain from betraying my own tempestuous feelings.

"I know your powers have returned to their dormancy since you created this world," he continued, "yet I know you are on the brink of unlocking them again. After all, how else could you have entered this world again from your own? And now, with the Composer of this world finally before me, I humbly ask as your Conductor to remake this world for the good of Touhoumon and humanity. What kind of irresponsible creator could refuse this petition?"

Silence and stillness followed his speech. Choosing my words carefully, I paused for a long moment before finally giving my reply.

"I might be the creator of this world, but to me it looks like this world has done well enough without me for this long. Sure, it's not perfect: parental neglect and law enforcement could use a lot of work, after all, but at its core it has still held together, has it not? You call me irresponsible, but you yourself already command so much power. So are you going to make me clean up your mess, or are you going to do it yourself?"

It looked like I struck a nerve with him. Lance scowled as he dropped the subject. "It doesn't really matter, because it looks like I'll have to coerce you anyway. I'm done with talking, I have a revolution to lead. Maribel! I shall test my will against yours! Let's finish this!"

Fine with me. This man was all that stood between me and freedom from their oppressive plan. Whispering a prayer of courage to my team, I began with the loyal partner who has been with me since the very beginning. "Magical Mary, you can do this! Go!"

Lance looked at me and my partner with contempt. "Yes, I am quite well aware of your very first Touhoumon. What better way to show you your place against Elite Four? I'll start with Marisa as well."

He too released a Marisa, but his was very different. She sported a pair of white wings, and adopted the same expression of contempt shared by her trainer. Lance laughed and gave his command. "Marisa, Blazing Star!"

I was familiar enough with the attack, but familiarity offered little protection from the lightning-quick tackle of Lance's Marisa. She was even faster than Magical Mary at her peak. I knew we couldn't win if we played his game, so I decided to take a major gamble. "Mary, prepare for assault with Mana Charge!"

"I'm not giving you the chance!" shouted Lance. "Marisa, one more Blazing Star ought to do it!"

To be honest, I didn't know if we could take another hit like that. All I could do was watch and hope. But as the energy from the collision settled, there still stood Magical Mary, barely able to maintain her stance, but still standing proud.

"All right, now's our chance!" I cried, tears starting to well up. "MASTER SPARK!!!"

I don't know how we managed it, but the mana-charged blast of magic combined with the damage Lance's Marisa had suffered with her repeated ramming attacks was just enough to bring down our opponent. In the fight between David and Goliath, David just barely won with a laser beam to the forehead.

Lance's shock was understandable. "Unbelievable! So this is the power of the Composer, is it? Well, as the most powerful trainer of this world, I cannot let this slide. I'll have my revenge with Yorihime!"

Lance released his next Touhoumon, another serious-looking contender with that arrogant gaze of contempt, as if goading us on to wipe that look off her face. Lance didn't seem to mind. "With your Marisa so critically weakened, we can take our time playing with you and set up for a severe pounding."

Indeed, he was right. Marisa had expended too much energy with her last attack, and couldn't pull off that same trick again. If she continued to fight, she surely wouldn't be able to win this. But if we didn't attack and switched out instead, Lance knew to use the time to strengthen one of his best Touhoumon without any interference. There was a third option...but would Mary be willing to make the sacrifice? Looking at her, panting and exhausted but still fighting to remain conscious, she looked at me and gave me a knowing glance. I knew what we had to do, however difficult it may be. "Magical Mary, Blazing Star!"

To the surprise of all, Mary collided with Yorihime in a most explosive manner, sacrificing the last of her stamina to severely injure her opponent and prevent her from acting, while still giving me the opportunity to field my next partner. I will not let her bravery be spent in vain. "Mukyue, take it away from here!"

Seeing his prized Touhoumon on the verge of collapse, Lance quickly made a substitution of his own. "Iku, it's your show now! Thunder!"

"We're not losing in a contest of magic!" I retorted. "Ice Beam, now!"

The back and forth volley of thunder and ice sent shards of ice crystals flying everywhere, but we proved our magical mettle as Mukyue forced her foe to succumb to the encroaching frost of defeat. Lance did not seem to take the cold particularly well. "Yorihime, get back out here!"

"Why? Can't you see she's already nearly out of health?"

"A mistake and a sacrifice can often look similar, but they produce very different results. Any revolutionairy must be prepared to make sacrifices," he sneered. "But of course, you would know all about that, wouldn't you?"

I bit my lower lip in anger, as Lance continued his assault. "Yorihime, Earthquake!"

Mukyue endured the hit, but she looked like she couldn't take much more punishment. Her counterattack defeated her opponent, but more was still to come.

"With each sacrifice, victory comes ever closer," said Lance, still maintaining his confidence. "Sasha, your foe's weak! Get her!"

With Mukyue's sluggish speed and low remaining stamina, I didn't think we could take another opponent. That is...unless a little miracle happened. "Mukyue, Ice Beam again!"

"What?! How could that be?!" roared Lance as Sasha went down before she could even act. "That can't be right!"

"Just a little trick I picked up from one of your colleagues," I gloated. "A little burst of speed in at a timely moment. If it could work for Bruno, it could work for me."

Feeling just a little too confident now that Lance was down to his last Touhoumon while I still had five standing on my side, I continued the verbal beatdown. "What's the matter, Lance? Is this the best the Conductor of the world can do? Is your title really nothing more than that?"

Lance let his rage simmer while still keeping his composure. Obviously, he still did not consider the battle lost. "I only need this one last Touhoumon to finish you off, Maribel. Keep talking; it'll only make my final victory all the sweeter. I'll show you why I'm the greatest trainer of this world! Go, Remilia! Aeroblast!"

A piercing blast of razor-sharp wind ripped right through Mukyue before either of us could act, throwing her like a rag doll. All I could do was quickly recall her, knowing that she had no more fight left in her.

"This is the most powerful attack in our arsenal," boasted Lance. "I know your party has no defenses against it either. This will be the end for you. Now, let's see who you'll offer up next!"

His words cut to my heart, but I couldn't give up now. That would desecrate the sacrifices we've already made. "Shinku, you can do this!"

"You absolutely will not. Aeroblast!"

With just that one command, Shinku too faced the relentless blades of winded death. That alone was too much to bear, and she too fell trembling and spent.

"What's next?" asked Lance, clearly enjoying his newfound control over the battle.

"Tachikoma, let's go!"

"A mere bug cannot weather this windstorm. Aeroblast again!"

Even the normally stalwart spider tank couldn't take too much of Remilia's incredible attack. Tachikoma tried her best, but was woefully out of her league as she was sent flying by the sheer power of the blast.

"This is too much," said Lance. "You're almost out of options, aren't you? Can even one of your Touhoumon survive my assault?"

I knew that Mustang couldn't hope to survive what even Tachikoma couldn't. But...what about the other?

"China-Li, stand strong!"

"We'll see about that. Remilia, Aeroblast!"

The blades of wind cut and slashed, but miraculously, China-Li stood her ground, almost ready to pass out yet still holding on. In hopeful joy, I cheered her on. "China-Li, quick! Recover back your health!"

"Maribel, you know well enough that you cannot hope to win if you will never even attack my Remilia," taunted Lance. "And nothing prevents me from doing this again. Aeroblast!"

The second raid proved too much to handle. China-Li dropped down, with no more energy left to remain in the fight. I was down to my very last Touhoumon, with my opponent still standing strong and healthy.

"What was the point of all that?" asked Lance. "I thought you were a better trainer than this. Is this the best the Composer of the world can do?"

"You tell me," I responded. "A mistake and a sacrifice can often look similar, but they produce very different results, or so I've heard. Mustang, make your teammates proud, and make use of their sacrifice!"

"This won't take much longer," said Lance. "Remilia, Aerobl-"

He stopped himself, suddenly realizing what was going on.

"One for Mukyue, Shinku, and Tachikoma, and two for China-Li. That makes five, doesn't it?" I finally smiled, seeing that my gambit paid off. "You only had five shots of Aeroblast, am I right?"

"You conniving witch!" he shouted, realizing that I had been leaving decoys for him all along. "We can still win this. Remilia, Poison Bomb!"

"Not this time. We're going to neuter the rest of your attacks. Mustang, Will-o-wisp!"

The vengeful fires found their mark, crippling Remilia's strength and sapping her of her stamina. Despite this, Lance was still undeterred from ordering the final advance. "This ends now! Remilia, use Overheat!"

"My thoughts exactly. Mustang, vindicate the sacrifices made by all your teammates! Revenge!"

With one final ferocious blow that carried the courage of all our allies, Mustang clobbered her opponent and dashed Lance's remaining hope for his twisted new world order. Our victory now secure, I prepared to treat our fallen friends before leaving this dreadful place for good.

"There, Lance, I hope you've learned your lesson," I said. "You've got the power and resources to make a difference your own way, without needing me to do your dirty work for you. I just hope your next plan doesn't involve genocide."

"Oh, but Maribel, this still isn't over. There's still one more person who wishes to see you."

"What do you mean? I beat you, the most powerful trainer. What more could you possibly throw at me?"

"The most powerful trainer of this world, yes. But you know as well as I that you're not the only one who's not from this world."

For a man who had just lost his most important duel, he continued to speak as though he still had an ace up his sleeve. "Maribel, how do you think you first came into this world? Who do you think first made contact with the outside world to bring you here? And who was the first person to ever tell you about us, the Elite Four?"

I thought back, all the way back to when this whole journey first started. The first time I heard about the Elite Four...that was right after I came to Viridian City, right after I met Shinku, when I had a battle with...

My heart sank like a stone dropped into a pond.

"Yes, you realize it now, don't you? There's no way we could have known so much about you and gotten so close to you if we didn't have someone helping us this whole time. Before you can leave and return back to home to your world, there's someone you need meet, isn't there?"

"Maribel, your good friend Renko would like to have a word with you now."

Okay, some some of that backstory might not have made much sense if you haven't read my previous LP of Labyrinth of Touhou, but from the beginning I had wanted to tie the story back to it. I even had a plan for a Plus Disk story to cover the events in between, but that's currently in limbo...

I got lucky so many times in my battle with Lance, and he still nearly beat me in the end. But everyone played their role perfectly, however seemingly small and insignificant it was, and everything came together in the end to seal this victory. I truly enjoy it when the game helps write the story for me.

Fun fact: As of this battle, I have now used every single attack of every single member of my party at least once during the Elite Four challenge. Yes, even Spider Web served a purpose (Agatha is one of the few trainers in the game who DOES normally switch on her own).

Next update will be the last one. I hope it'll be satisfying to all.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-07-08 at 05:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Banned

So if i understand this correctly, you swept every Touhoumon up to Remilia, losing Magic Mary in the process. Then Remilia has an insta-kill attack that is negated by Gate Guard, but still deals heavy damage and which knocked everyone else out before Mustang could finally take her down by the power of Will-o-wisp. Would this be a correct understanding of the rules of the game?

Also Renko is apparently an utter butch who just flat-out betrayed Maribel. Good to know, i guess.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

Well played. Wasn't expecting most of that.

Also? Congratulations on your ridiculous luck against Yorihime. I didn't have much trouble against Remi (entirely different team from yours, so I didn't have to fall back on strategic genius like you did), but Yorihime completely annihilated my team about five times with items.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

28. - Top - End - #628

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    So if i understand this correctly, you swept every Touhoumon up to Remilia, losing Magic Mary in the process. Then Remilia has an insta-kill attack that is negated by Gate Guard, but still deals heavy damage and which knocked everyone else out before Mustang could finally take her down by the power of Will-o-wisp. Would this be a correct understanding of the rules of the game?
    Close. Aeroblast isn't a guarenteed insta-kill; it's just a 100 base power move coming from a monstrosity with STAB, 135 base attack, and 19 levels higher than me, which makes it strong enough to OHKO most of my team on its own. Meiling survived because she's got by far the best defense of my entire party, even though the attack is super-effective against her (and half my team, incidentally). Aeroblast only has 5 uses, so it was essential that I make Lance use it all up before letting Mokou out for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also? Congratulations on your ridiculous luck against Yorihime. I didn't have much trouble against Remi (entirely different team from yours, so I didn't have to fall back on strategic genius like you did), but Yorihime completely annihilated my team about five times with items.
    Yeah, Bulk Up tends to do that. Best things to use against her, I believe, are Yuyuko and Kogasa. They're both immune to all of Yorihime's physical attacks, and have high enough special defense to survive Outrage, which only has 5 PP anyway, and runs off of Yorihime's weaker attack stat.

Out of curiosity, which starter did you choose? Your rival's team changes almost completely depending on who you picked, of course, so I was just wondering which team you got to face. Because as it turns out, with Marisa as my starter I get to face a certain user of Bulk Up that I personally believe to be even tougher than Yorihime. Yes, he's certainly giving me by far the most trouble out of all the opponents. And no, my usual fallback strategy of burn/toxic does NOT work on this one.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-07-08 at 06:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

Me? Went with Sakuya, eventually EX Sakuya. And yes, my Advent Yuyuko would have been very helpful there, and at several other points. Only she wasn't. Can't recall why, but she barely contributed.

Incidentally, my team consisted of EX Sakuya/Advent Yuyuko/Final Patchouli/EX Wriggle/Final Remilia/EX Marisa. Marisa was from Viridian forest, mind you. Had a couple others of similar level in the box, but they sat this one out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

If I could guess Renko's team, it would consist of some form of Sakuya, Aya, Patchouli, Youmu, Meiling, and Momiji. However, that would most likely apply for the first round.