Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Aeroblast is a Flying type move right? They didn't change that?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    "One for Mukyue, Shinku, and Tachikoma, and two for China-Li. That makes five, doesn't it?" I finally smiled, seeing that my gambit paid off. "You only had five shots of Aeroblast, am I right?"
    Know your Touhoumon's shot limit!
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Me? Went with Sakuya, eventually EX Sakuya. And yes, my Advent Yuyuko would have been very helpful there, and at several other points. Only she wasn't. Can't recall why, but she barely contributed.

Incidentally, my team consisted of EX Sakuya/Advent Yuyuko/Final Patchouli/EX Wriggle/Final Remilia/EX Marisa. Marisa was from Viridian forest, mind you. Had a couple others of similar level in the box, but they sat this one out.
    That means you faced EX Shikieiki, EX Utsuho, EX Suwako, Advent Ran, Advent Yukari, and Last Word Reimu, correct? I think I've managed to work out what your Rival's team is for each starter now, and indeed Shikieiki is the only one who's present on all 3 teams. However, Utsuho and Suwako each appear on 2 teams.

Only your Rival's starter appears on both their normal team throughout the game and in their Round 2 team, albeit in a different form.

@ Memnarch: Yes, Aeroblast is unchanged from the normal Pokemon game. The only difference is a slight buff from the fact that Rock no longer resists Flying.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Mirrinus: I believe that was the team, yes. Nowhere near as bad as Lance, actually.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #635

Let's Play Touhoumon - Finale

Spoiler
    Show
    The door opened, and out stepped my best friend, Renko Usami. My mind was racing with confused thoughts as she approached me, wondering what to ask first or how should I be responding, or even if I could still trust her right now.

"I'd like to speak to Maribel alone, Lance," she said. "Please leave us right now."

Lance stepped out without a word, leaving the two of us alone together. I wasn't going to find a better opportunity than this to get some answers.

"What's going on, Renko?" I demanded. "What are you doing here with them? Don't tell me you're going along with their plan!"

Renko shook her head earnestly, begging my permission to explain herself. "I'm sorry, I've kept so many secrets from you. But let me just say that everything I did, it was all for your sake. Please, let me explain from the very beginning. I hope you'll come to understand."

Here eyes looked brutally honest as she spoke, as if admitting the truth were causing her pain, yet she still persisted. Given how distraught she appeared to be, I decided it was worth hearing her out.

"A while before we decided to return to Gensokyo, I received a strange message from a group of scientists from this world asking for the one they called the Composer. I was in contact with them for some time, during which I learned about the true nature of this world and how it was created by you when we were last in Gensokyo. It horrified me to learn that this dreadful dimension that once nearly claimed your life still existed. Worse still, when I got to speak with the scientists of this world, I was informed of the possibility that this world could still be expanding, and eventually encroach upon its neighboring dimensions. I began to fear that this world may still be a danger to others, including us who are already tied to this place. However, the scientists told me that they had a working theory for how to reawaken the powers of the Composer and fix the potential threat. It was then that I began to make plans for us to enter this world."

"And you didn't tell me any of this?" I asked, baffled.

"Our plan was to break it to you slowly, but things soon went awry. I didn't know it at the time, but some time just before we came to this world, the Elite Four discovered the research being conducted by the scientists, and thought that they could use it in their plans. They coerced most of the scientists into helping them, and left their original lab on Cinnabar Island as nothing but a shambling ruin. I'm sure you've seen the aftermath for yourself. The Elite Four knew about the existance of the Composer, but now they had identified you and knew that you and I were coming. They tried to intercept you when we first arrived in Pallet Town, but they met me first. Claiming to be working with the people I had been in contact with, they convinced me to bring you to them, and so I did.

"Of course, it wasn't long before I had figured out their real agenda. However, I thought that I could continue to use them. They still possess all the research texts that explain the essence of this world and how you can control it. All I needed to do was convince them that I was a strong trainer willing to work with them and my best friend, and I could get close enough to find out everything that they knew. If I stuck with them, I could also keep them from laying a finger on you, letting me watch you as your silent guardian. In the end, though, I have my own plan that I want ask you to do. Please, Maribel, for your sake, you must use your powers to destroy this entire world."

"What are you saying!?" I exclaimed. If I was bewildered or surprised before, it was nothing compared to hearing those words from my best friend. "Why must I destroy this world?"

"Originally, I had thought the greatest danger was some vague concept of expanding dimensions and other mystical mumbo-jumbo, but I realize now that the biggest threat to us is the people here. You saw how you were being targetted by both Team Rocket and the Elite Four. And now that they know that you are the Composer, there are people who won't stop at anything to use and abuse you for their own purposes. The Elite Four may just be the beginning. We can't let this go on. I...I can't bear to lose you again like before."

Tears started to well up in Renko's eyes as she desperately pleaded with me. "Please, I just want to keep you safe! We don't even have to do it their way either, or continue to work with the Elite Four to harness your powers. We can just go to Gensokyo and ask Yukari for assistance if you want. Just...please, this is the only way we can erase this past mistake, and make things right again. Let's get rid of this unnatural thing that shouldn't even exist. Mari...will you do it?"

"I...I...I can't. What you're suggesting is no different from what the Elite Four want, only on an even larger scale. Maybe if you had asked the past me, I might have said yes. But now, after having spent so much time in this world, even making the many Touhoumon friends and partners that I have, I can't bring myself to agree."

I hugged Renko as I whispered to reassure her. "We can overcome whatever they throw at us, together. Trust me, we're not alone. We've got friends in Gensokyo, don't we? And we'll always have each other."

Despite my best words and intentions, Renko still didn't seem fully convinced. "Mari, I'm sorry, but I still can't let you go like this. Isn't there any way I can convince you? Maybe...we ought to settle this like how everyone else here does: with a battle. If you win, I'll trust your judgment and let you decide what to do. But if I win, we're going to Yukari to ask her to help us erase this world. How's that sound?"

"My mind's already made up," I replied, "but you're still my best friend, and I still need you to be convinced. Very well then. Let this be our final battle in this world. A fight between friends, with our ideals on the line. Let us begin."

"Do you really think you stand a chance against me, Renko?" I asked as I readied my first orb. "I mean, I did already defeat the Elite Four."

"Oh, I think I'll manage somehow," said Renko, wiping the tears from her eyes and smiling at me for the first time today. "Personally, I'd say I've discovered a knack for training Touhoumon. I think I'll start with...Miss Eiki!"

"I've seen her before, but not with you," I mused. "What other secrets have you been keeping from me? Well, time to find out. Allow me to begin with Mukyue!"

"I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by who I have with me," she teased. "Miss Eiki, let's begin with Doom Desire!"

Huh? I've never heard of that before. However, as I looked intently at Shikieiki, nothing seemed to even happen. "What was that even suppose to be, Renko? Oh, nevermind, Black Wind now!"

"Pretty good," remarked Renko, "but I'll do you one better. Miss Eiki, finish her off in one blow with Last Judgment!"

An enormous blast of light ruptured through the room, but its aim looked just a tad off. It veered to the side and narrowly missed Mukyue. "Huh," sighed Renko. "Looks like the verdict was Not Guilty. Maybe I shouldn't have bet so much on that longshot."

"Sorry, pal, but I'm not letting you off the hook for that. Mukyue, Fire Blast!"

Our red-hot scored a direct hit, scorching Shikieiki and forcing her out of the battle. Renko looked concerned more for her Touhoumon's state than for her losing position in this battle. "Don't worry, we're far from finished. Flan-chan, this is yours to win!"

Before Mukyue and I could act, an explosion burst out of nowhere and injured Mukyue. She still managed to stand after that unexpected attack, but looked worse for wear. "What was that?" I asked. "Did Flandre do that?"

"That was just a parting present from Miss Eiki," answered Renko. "Our first turn wasn't for naught, you know."

With Mukyue now injured and Flandre looking quite menacing, I hastened to make a switch. "China-Li, you can handle this!"

"I wonder about that," said Renko. "Flan-chan, pummel her with Steel Fist!"

Flandre delivered a savage beating to our stalwart gatekeeper, who valiantly struggled to hold her ground. But even with her daunting defense, the sheer might of that Flandre wielded looked to be too much. All we could do was try our best to retaliate. "China-Li, Break Break!"

The two combatants bravely tussled with one another, both proudly showing their strength, but in the end Flandre just barely emerged the winner. China-Li had put up a great fight, though, and all we needed was to exploit Flandre's now-weakened state. "Mukyue, let's come back and finish this!"

"I doubt she's fast enough to handle us," proclaimed Renko. "Flan-chan will snap her like a toothpick before she gets a chance. Steel Fist again!"

"We'll see about that. Mukyue, Ice Beam!"

A flash of pure frost ripped across the room like a clear-blue lightning bolt, striking Flandre dead-on before she could get close. Renko looked quite shocked at the turn of events, so I mercifully explained the matter. "Quick Claw, my friend. Gives even the slowest of us a chance."

Renko smiled back, undeterred. "It's what I should be expecting from you, my friend. All right then, let's even the playing field a bit with this oddity. Go, Mr. Rinnosuke! Take her down with Braver!"

While I was still recovering from the surprise of seeing a man on the Touhoumon battlefield for the first time ever, Rinnosuke had already closed in on Mukyue and delivered a tremendous slash with his scarlet-golden sword, putting her out of commission. Talk about unexpected. "All right, you've got me there. But we'll still handle you with Mustang! We'll start by weakening you with Will-o-wisp!"

The ghostly flames found their mark, searing Rinnosuke with its sickening blaze. However, Renko looked positively exstatic at this turn of events. "Now that's your mistake, Renko!" she shouted eagerly. "Mr. Rinnosuke will only fight harder when afflicted like this! And we're not giving you any more opportunities to surprise us with your speed! Mr. Rinnosuke, Extreme Speed!"

"You can go ahead and have your enhanced speed and attack," I countered. "Our reprisal will only be stronger! Mustang, channel your pain and anger back at him with Revenge!"

Rinnosuke looked like a surprisingly tough individual, but was no match for the phoenix's undying flames of vengeance. Still, he left heavy marks on our team before finally succumbing, leaving Mustang with little strength left.

"My next partner should come as no surprise to you, Mari!" Renko called out. "Well, she may look a little different, but she's still the same close partner I've had all this time. Go, Miss Sakuya! Finish them off!"

A bolt of silver whizzed through the air, striking Mustang without warning. She was already nearly expended, and her time in this battle had come to an end. "It's okay, you've earned your rest. Tachikoma will take it from here!"

"What do you plan to do with that?" inquired Renko, puzzled. "You're not going to be able to poison someone like Miss Sakuya. Now, we'll take you on with Soul Sculpture!"

A fierce barrage of knives appeared out of nowhere, pinning poor Tachikoma down on the ground like a bug. "We don't plan on using poison this time," I said, unphased by the predicament. "This spider's actually got more than one trick up her poofy sleeves. Tachikoma, Earthquake!"

Tremors shook the battlefield, dislodging the knives that pinned Tachikoma down while a fissure aimed straight for Sakuya, who had lost her footing. With Tachikoma back on her feet and advancing towards her prey, we had the upper hand once again. However, Renko wasn't going to give up yet. "Miss Sakuya, take her down with Hydro Cannon!"

An enormous blast of water gushed forth from the ground and pushed Tachikoma back, but only for a moment. With her legs digging into the ground, Tachikoma braced herself and let loose another mighty tremor, this time striking Sakuya dead-on. Our opponent collapsed amid the rubble, but Tachikoma herself looked completely spent as well.

"After all that, it still looks like we're evenly matched, huh?" observed Renko. "Miss Suwako, wash away the rest of that bug for me."

Suwako hopped out of her orb and blasted Tachikoma with a spray of water, finally knocking her over for good. Looking at what I had left, I realized that Magical Mary was of little use against a goddess who commanded both water and earth. Without much of a choice, I had to go with the other magician. "Shinku, show that you can match their waves with Surf!"

The pounding waves of water threw Suwako for a loop, but the frog goddess soon hopped back on her feet. Renko issued her next order without missing a beat. "Miss Suwako, Body Slam!"

Suwako sprung into the air with a mighty leap and came crashing down on poor Shinku. She couldn't take another hit like that, but she could still do what she can for when her last teammate took over. "Shinku, freeze that frog with Ice Beam!"

The frost solidified over Suwako, but to our dismay it was not enough to stop her movement. Renko ordered her final assault, crushing Shinku beneath their leap as I was left with my final Touhoumon.

"Magical Mary, it's all up to you! You're our last hope, so let's make it count. Mana Charge!"

Suwako remained covered in some ice shards, but still seemed able to move. Renko, taking notice of this, played right into my plan. "All right, we ought to take it easy for now. Let's both cleanse and attack with Mishaguji-sama!"

A gushing geyser of water sprung forth from under Suwako, rinsing the ice particles off of her as the deluge struck Magical Mary. If it had been any other attack, we may have bit the dust, but Mary still injured but firm. "Should have finished us off when you had the chance!" I boldly told Renko. "Magical Mary, Dragon Meteo!"

Suwako still hadn't seemed to have gotten over her bout with Shinku, for the fiery beam scorched her enough to bring her down to her knees, unable to continue battling. Panting, we awaited Renko's last Touhoumon, and our last obstacle to victory.

"Very well done, Mari. I'm truly honored to call you my friend. I guess it comes down to the wire now, doesn't it? This is all I have left: Miss Remilia, go!"

"You've fought well, Renko. However, I can't yield my will after this entire journey, after all I've been through. And now, I hope you'll understand just how strong my will has become. Let's give it everything we've got, Magical Mary!"

"MASTER SPARK!!!"

With one final ferocious blast, it was all over. My very first partner and I stood trembling but victorious, with the fate of this world decided.

Renko knelt down on the floor in silence. I reached over to her, extending my hand to lift her up. "It's okay, Renko," I assured her. "Let's go home."

Deep down, I knew that we'd still be returning someday. After all, we still needed to release the Touhoumon we had with us. When Renko chose Suwako's well-being over a swift victory, I knew that even when she had asked me to end this world, she still loved her own Touhoumon too. Maybe not as much as she loved me, but the feelings were indeed there. It gave me the confidence to believe that she too would one day come to enjoy this world as much as I have.

I glanced at my Touhou Orbs, where my proud partners were taking their well-earned rest. These brave beings had fought hard on my behalf, and not just these six, but everyone that I had the pleasure of working with on my journey. As I lifted Renko up and walked with her towards the final door, I whispered my gratitude to them, believing in my heart that I had made the right choice.

"Thank you, all of you. I'm truly glad to have met you."

THE END

Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-07-09 at 02:49 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Another awesome end to another let's play. I'm not sure where Kourin comes from in the game.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations!

I suspect that by now you've done so much grinding you're more or less a 'ground' type yourself, huh?
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

8. - Top - End - #638

Nice way to tie the LP together.

Nice ending too.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

*claps* Very nicely done. That was a warm little moment to end on.

I'm a little short on words that don't sound hokey or stupid right now, so I'll keep this brief. Even though I never made a comment in this thread that made it past my own self-censoring and deletion, I enjoyed reading this immensely, and it's a delight to see it reach its planned conclusion. Congratulations on a job well done!

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that wraps it up.
    I've enjoyed reading this thread - I've certainly have. Keep it up with your new LP (which I found in your signature only yesterday).

Now just to find a day with bad weather so I can check out your old one too.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Pixie in the Playground

Some things I wanted to comment:
    - Wow, Guts out of nowhere. Things would probably have gone a bit better if you hadn't WoW'd that FRinnosuke, I believe.
    - Stupid but lovely AI, if only you hadn't gotten too greedy with Suwako's signature attack and instead had just shaken the ground, our friend here would have to tell another tale on another day.
    - MASTER SPARK FINISH. I don't think I can say much besides "glorious".

And well... thanks for all this, I can say that I enjoyed it greatly. Good job mixing stories from different games and things like that too, I found it awesome even though I haven't played TWEWY yet for whatever reason... and I also like how I had just finished the RBY arc of Pokémon Special when this all started. Hahah.
    Thank you once again, friend.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Very interesting. My computer doesn't have sound, so I'm only left to wonder what the battle cries sound like.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Banned

And we see that calling Renko a friend was indeed an understatement, which is a very fitting ending for a Touhou game. Really, it had the three things central to Touhou: Fighting, heartwarming dialog and thinly veiled lesbianism.

14. - Top - End - #644

Thank you everyone for following this with me for over the past two months. It's been fun writing this, and all the comments, feedback, and chitchat you've given me have made it even more worthwhile.

In the meantime, I've still got my other LP to do, but I think I might still want to take a break from writing for a little bit longer. (After all, I have plenty of writing to do with my applying to medical school right now and all.)

And then there's the Labyrinth of Touhou Special Disk, which just came out recently. I've sort of been commissioned to play through the 3.01 version with a team full of the oft-neglected characters (Reisen, Rumia, Mokou, Keine, etc.) to gather data on their main-game viability for the wiki. Yeah...it's weird. Maybe I'll record some videos of that later (3.01 does have new music, and lets me use better character art in place of the default; I'm using the SWR-style portraits for everyone).

15. - Top - End - #645
    Banned

Why are they often neglected? Because they are kind of awkward and not very good in Labyrinth of Touhou?

16. - Top - End - #646

Pretty much. Here's what the team looks like:

Reisen - low damage output on anything with decent MND, relies too much on debuffs.
    Rumia - poor stat growths, kind of gimmicky.
    Nitori - also somewhat low stats, but 3.01 buffed her best attack's damage formula a lot.
    Iku - tricky to use, average damage output.
    Orin - good in normal battles, but awkward and subpar against bosses.
    Mokou - subpar damage for a heavy mage nuker compared to Patchy or Utsuho.
    Keine - the very definition of average, normally joins too late.
    Renko - zero damage output, best spell has heavy drawbacks.
    Maribel - needs buffs to be effective.
    Wriggle - completely reliant on poison for damage, which is difficult to measure, and useless on bosses that resist poison.

Rest of the party is Meiling and Minoriko, but not because they're bad characters. On the contrary, with the two of them I'm fairly confident I can clear the main game no matter who else is in the party without having to grind much.

My goal is to see how good they can be if I give them my attention, as I think some people are just put off by using them due to the stigma they have, or in some instances their late joining time. I want to see if they can be useful for other purposes, like Mokou tanking Flowing Hellfires, or Rumia as a backup healer. Maybe they'll find a niche like that.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-07-10 at 03:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #647

Didn't get a chance to vote on the team for the first play through and a team like this is great to see.

Still want to see you do a LP of the game you had voted on though.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm interested to see how the special disk works out, myself. especially an English patch >_>. Buuut I'll save that for another thread (or a PM) so this one doesn't get derailed too much. (is that even possible now that the LP is over though?)

19. - Top - End - #649

Topic derailment? Oh, I don't even care now, since we're done with the LP. You can talk about whatever you want now, as far as I'm concerned.

English patch for 3.01 is available already, actually.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Orc in the Playground

Oh man, I missed so much over the past few days. Stupid loss of internet. xD

Well, this ending, if not this whole LP in general, deserves a standing ovation, and if I wasn't typing on my laptop at 5:30 in the morning I would give you one. (I'll do it tomorrow when I have the time) This was a great LP, and I'm glad I took the time to experience it with everyone else who read it here.

...Although, the one thing that bothers me is that I still can't seem to find myself a Mannosuke. Although I was able to get a Shinki again, so that made up for it. :D
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

21. - Top - End - #651

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyFoxMan View Post
    ...Although, the one thing that bothers me is that I still can't seem to find myself a Mannosuke. Although I was able to get a Shinki again, so that made up for it. :D
    Check Pattern Bush, located on the northern half of Six Island (Fortune Island).

22. - Top - End - #652
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Topic derailment? Oh, I don't even care now, since we're done with the LP. You can talk about whatever you want now, as far as I'm concerned.

English patch for 3.01 is available already, actually.
    Really? I keep tabs on the labyrinth of touhou page on the wiki regularly, and haven't seen anything. Guess it's just not updated that often.

Could you PM me a place to get the 3.01 patch (is that the special disk?) and the english patch when you have the time? Moon runes are not my strong suit.
    Last edited by Eliirae; 2010-07-11 at 05:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #653

Here's the English Patch for 3.01.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, i have just found this thread and was browsing through it. i found you have alternate forms of Touhou, and they do not appear in the Tou Hou Dex excel file, or in the notepad i had received. do you mind listing how to get them? it would be great to know how to get them. the Wiki is extremely out dated, and is missing some you have, such as Princess/Beach Wriggle, and others.

25. - Top - End - #655

To easily look up how everything evolves, I use YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor), a ROM editting program that lets you look at evolution, moveset, stats, and other data. It works for all 3rd generation Pokemon games and their respective hacks, I believe.

In general, though, here are how alternate evolutions work:

If a character has a Final form, it's obtainable via Moon Stone (I think Final Alice is an exception)
    If a character has a Last Word form, it's obtainable via Sun Stone
    If a character has a Beach form, it's obtainable via Water Stone
    All other forms (Advent, Princess Wriggle, etc.) are gained via other elemental stones. For example, Princess Wriggle uses Leaf Stone, Advent Marisa uses Thunder Stone, Advent Mokou uses Fire Stone, etc.

Those are the general rules. There might be exceptions, in which case YAPE usually answers it for me.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Orc in the Playground

They have a new Wiki up, and while it's incomplete, the full Ayanote is there.

You can find it here. I hope this helps somewhat.

On a related note, I really like Neko Remelia's sprite. :3
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!