New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

I vote for A, but replacing T-bolt with Master Spark. Because, as people have reiterated, Mary needs her Master Spark.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 3-1

Spoiler
    Show
    With the Cerulean Gym conquered, I turned my sights to leaving this fair city. But with the southern exit still blocked, I had to find another way. I guess it's time to pay that crime scene a visit.

Maribel Han, private investigator, at your service!

Yes, yes, so your TM was stolen? Have the police started searching for the culprit yet? If so, where have they looked? Perhaps they should look...

...in your backyard?

I'd like to reiterate my statement of Worst. Law Enforcement. Ever.

The whole "innocent bystander" routine may have fooled the police, but the big red "R" on your shirt kind of gives you away.

A ferocious battle soon occurred. While the dark chibi Wriggle was no match for Magical Mary, the dark chibi Momiji busted out the very painful Double-Edge attack to wreck havoc. Exceptional base power on top of a level advantage and STAB is pretty deadly.

Vengeance was mine as Believe it! stepped up to finish the job. Thankfully, these full-grown men are polite enough to desist from physically attacking a 95-pound girl as soon as run out of of Touhoumon. I wish all criminals were this considerate.

Huh, so I went through all this trouble to get this TM back for you, and now you don't even want it? Eh...I don't know whether to feel insulted or thankful.

At least the path down to Route 5 is now open for business.

The gate to Saffron City, though, was not. Why? I have no idea. I mean, it's not like the city could be under siege right now by an evil criminal organization, right?

Taking the detour around Saffron city, I ventured into the Underground Path towards Vermilion instead.

After what seemed like ages, I finally emerged out on the other side of Saffron City, on Route 6. A new Touhoumon greeted me here: a bird reading a book. Imagine that.

As usual, prepubescent boys rushed to greet me as well.

It's like as if all the little boys in this world have never seen a girl before. Which, of course, doesn't make any sense at all in the world of Touhoumon.

Oh, wait, here's a boy who does know what a girl looks like. It's me who didn't want to see what two kids making out looks like. Excuse me while I reach for the brain bleach.

Yeah yeah, if you're going to do that, at least do it behind a tree instead of out in the open road.

After that excursion, I think I prefer the old familiar company of fairy catchers with no sense of personal space.

Route 6 wasn't a very long route, so with Vermilion City soon in sight, I took to quickly sweeping the few trainers blocking my way with Asakura. Of course, there was a good reason why I chose her.

With a newly evolved Asakura by my side and a fresh anticipation for the unknown, I arrive at the charming city of Vermilion.

It's a lovely seaside town, with the warm afternoon sun drifting lazily over the peaceful docks. If this were a vacation for me, I'd love to spend it here. Hey, wait a minute, isn't this suppose to be a vacation for me?

Oh, right, I still have a mission to accomplish.

Is this how they do things in America? Just let random plants grow wherever and block off the entrance? How repulsive. Looks like first I'll have to find some way to get around this arbitrary obstacle...in America.

While stopping by this city's Eirin Center, I met yet another random stranger handing out free stuff. The VS Seeker lets me re-challenge as many pre-pubescent kids as I want. A mixed blessing, to say the least.

I chatted with the locals for a while, and was told that if I wanted to see new Touhoumon, I ought to head to Yamame's Cave, located just outside of town. I figured this was as good a lead as any.

The cave certainly did not disappoint, with so many new species to choose from! While I already have a team of 6, I see nothing wrong with expanding the roster even more, rotating in and out members as necessary. After all, the more the merrier, right?

Once again, we've got a large batch to choose from. Nearly all Subterranean Animism characters can be found in Yamame's Cave. Utsuho is there too, but we already voted on her. And for some reason, I just couldn't find a chibi Parsee, so I just gave up. She's still up for vote, though.

A. Tokiko (Flying/Normal, physical sweeper)
    B. Yamame Kurodani (Bug/Ground, tank)
    C. Parsee Mizuhashi (Dark/Ghost, tank)
    D. Yuugi Hoshiguma (Fighting/Ground, physical sweeper)
    E. Satori Komeiji (Psychic, can learn every TM move)
    F. Koishi Komeiji (Normal, special sweeper)
    G. Rin Kaenbyou (Fire/Ghost, sweeper/annoyer)
    H. (None of the above)

Oh, and another question: where to next? Route 11 or S.S. Anne?
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Either Yamame or Yuugi. Preferably Yamame, because I love the little rowdy spider.

As for route, I say let's go on a cruise!
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-18 at 05:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote Parsee or Orin.

As for nicknames for everyone:
    Tokiko: Nameless (she has no canonical name)
    Yamame Kurodani: Konoka
    Parsee: She doesn't get one, and is therefore jealous of the others. Or Beatroll.
    Yuugi Hoshiguma: Joestar (See Touhou's character sheet)
    Satori Komeiji: Nodoka (A mind reader whose name fits in with Mukyue )
    Koishi Komeiji: Freud (I blame the Embers of Love for this nickname)
    Rin Kaenbyou: Satoko (Orin's a real friend because she will help you move a body)

I choose going on the S.S Anne so you can fight Renko another time and get the HM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

My votes;

Character; nickname.
    Yamame: Portia
    Koishi Komeiji: Freud (a good name Assassin)

I'll say go with S.S. Anne because then the Gym opens up sooner.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Since i cannot claim to know the SA characters at all, i was going to refrain from voting. Assassin has convinced me, however, we need a Nodoka to go with Mukyue, so Satori it is.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

I vote Yuugi, with the name of McHuge. (Big McLargehuge being, ironically, too big.)

Other nickname suggestions:
    Yamame: Charlotte
    Koishi: lanimilbuS (This one just barely fits) that's what she said
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-05-19 at 06:16 AM.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

The "Satori named Nodoka" idea has my support.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

9. - Top - End - #219
    Halfling in the Playground

I would like to say that in the version of the game Mirrinus linked to on page 1, that it's possible to buy sun stones after you beat the E4 the first time from the shop on island two.

Add a vote for yamame for me.
    Last edited by Shiva asori; 2010-05-19 at 08:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220

Interestingly enough, this is possibly the closest vote yet. Keep it up.

My graduation ceremony is tomorrow morning, so I might have some time to work on the Let's Play afterward, but if not, I might not get back to it until Friday or Saturday. My apologies for any potential delays.

(And no one remembers poor Tokiko...)
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

How many letters were the nicknames again? Because if we're going to use Yamame, who is a spider, is a tank, and is cute... I'm voting for Tachikoma as a nickname .

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

Tachikoma should be within the character limit, i believe.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    How many letters were the nicknames again? Because if we're going to use Yamame, who is a spider, is a tank, and is cute... I'm voting for Tachikoma as a nickname .
    Tachikomas are love, so I am fully in support of this even though I don't know jack about Yamame and her competition is being named Nodoka. That's an accomplishment.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

I also vote for Tachikoma. She's even got the right sunny disposition!
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Oh and if it is alright i ask, where did you find the version of the game that you are playing, Mirrinus? The only ones i've been able to find have been old.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

On the one hand, Tachikoma. On the other, Nodoka.

Damn, I don't know which to choose now.
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-05-20 at 08:09 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Yamame all the way.

I'll also mention that like Terra, I can't seem to find the precise version you're playing.

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Oh and if it is alright i ask, where did you find the version of the game that you are playing, Mirrinus? The only ones i've been able to find have been old.
    It's on Aquamentis' Mediafire page, file thmon15e1-19(3)(4).gba. Actually, that one might be slightly more up-to-date than the one I'm using, come to think of it.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

Ah, awesome. Except that China blocks Mediafire. Guess i need to hold off on getting it until go back to Denmark this summer. I can definitely live with that.

20. - Top - End - #230

Ah, awesome. Except that China blocks Mediafire. Guess i need to hold off on getting it until go back to Denmark this summer. I can definitely live with that.
    Tried using proxies?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

I tried, but my technical skills are not quite up to figuring out how it works. Especially not with most sites dealing with it also being blocked here.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Prime32; 2010-05-20 at 10:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    It's on Aquamentis' Mediafire page, file thmon15e1-19(3)(4).gba. Actually, that one might be slightly more up-to-date than the one I'm using, come to think of it.
    That's the version I've been using, and there seem to be some differences between it and the one you're using, and not just in the updated sense.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

I'm officially switching my vote to Tachikoma Yamame. Finally, an obscure anime reference I recognize!

Ah, awesome. Except that China blocks Mediafire.
    I can't be the only one who read that and immediately thought, "Yet Marisa still gets past her on a regular basis..."
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

25. - Top - End - #235

It was a close race between Tachikoma and Nodoka at first, but looks like the spider-tank pulled through in the end. While Satori is my favorite Touhou character, I can't say I'm displeased with having to use Yamame. Not only did her stats get a significant buff in Aqua's more recent patches, but she has one of the coolest EX form sprites, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, longest segment yet. Enjoy.

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 3-2

Spoiler
    Show
    If Yamame is capable of digging a structure as grand as this tunnel, then surely it deserves a good spot on my team. It was easy to lure them to come out with my Souseiseki. Weird, eh?

With so many other species available here, my Ayanote had a field day taking down observations.

So many cute species...but of course, given the rising levels of the creatures I've been encountering, it's no surprise that they won't remain as chibi little beings for long. Just take my newest member, Tachikoma. With just one more level...

...she evolved! Can't wait to see that happen again!

Now that I've amassed such a lively and exciting team of Touhoumon, I really do feel like showing them off. But where would I do such a thing? Why, what about that party aboard the ship that ZUN talked about earlier? Yes, that would be simply splendid!

To my dismay, by the time I had arrived, the party was already over. But that doesn't mean this trip would go to waste. Oh no, there are still plenty of things to do on a luxury cruise liner. For instance...

Dancing on the front deck...(Asakura displayed some sweet moves)

Or dumpster diving snacking in the dining hall...

Or taking a nap in someone else's bed...

Or simply lounging in the other passengers' cabins.

But no, I came here with a specific mission in mind. You see, being on this ship is a great opportunity for me! Even though my adventure as a new Touhoumon trainer has been going quite well so far, if I do say so myself, I admit that I'm still unfamiliar with the ways of this world. In particular, I need to see just how other trainers interact with their Touhoumon, and with each other. Are most other trainers just pricks with undeserved firepower, like that guy from the Viridian Forest claimed? Or are they sensible folk who are kind and loving towards their Touhoumon, not using them to attack random strangers on sight? Hmm, come to think of it, that last part of the latter description...nah.

Even though the party was over, plenty of trainers were still on board. But rather than looking to enjoy a spot of tea as we discuss Touhoumon issues, it seems like they were more eager to engage in combat. Sigh...I guess that answers part of my question.

Of course, I start my journey of discovery in the worst possible place: the lower deck cabins, where gruff sailors and eccentric fishermen make their abode.

As if that weren't enough, some of them fancied themselves to be pirates.

Pirates, on board a luxury liner in this day and age? How ridiculous. I suppose next he's going to tell me that the gym leader of this city is secretly an executive of an expansive crime ring secretly using this ship to smuggle pirated goods? Sure...

The fishermen on this boat aren't really much better, though.

Apparently, the only thing they could catch are buckets. Lots and lots of buckets.

Still, I would most definitely prefer inept fishermen to burly sailers that try to harass passengers like me.

I don't know whether to be more indignant over your calling me a kid, or your attempt to hit on me. Actually, come to think of it, combining the two together would be four times as disturbing.

Disgusted by the behavior of these unruly men, I tried to quickly wrap up my stay here below deck.

No, I don't know what they say about sailors and battling, but I do know what they say about sailors and their preferences, if you know what I mean.

Glad to be free of that rat-infested hellhole, I returned to the first floor of the passengers' cabins, where I was able to find some more civilized company.

Here was a seemingly kind and lonely man, who had a strong bond with his Touhoumon. It almost pained me to have to battle him, and he seemed quite devastated when he lost. I guess that would be the equivalent of seeing your best friend getting beat up. I wonder, do his Touhoumon feel the same way towards him? Do they fight and even risk their lives for the sake of his honor, regardless of reason?

If only everyone on board this ship were that interesting. Some were just plain rude.

Gosh, how was I suppose to know you didn't want any visitors, when you keep your door unlocked like that? What kind of world doesn't allow a protagonist to just freely enter the dwelling place of others and ransack through their items? Gensokyo makes less and less sense by the minute.

Seeing that the elderly don't seem to want my company, I instead sought to speak with the traveling families on board this ship. The parents were quite courteous, chatting with me and seeing no problem with my wanting to enter and inspect their items.

However, their children were a lot less composed. Like me, they were quite eager to show off their impressive teams of Touhoumon.

Except, they weren't impressive at all. You went all around the world to catch a chibi Mystia, which could be found on almost any route? Excuse me while I introduce my face to my palm.

Still, I guess it was nice to see their enthusiasm and love for even the most common of Touhoumon, simply because of the bond they share. That's an important sentiment to have. I guess one Mystia in hand is worth two in the bush.

Of course, not all cabins had trainers who wanted to battle with me. Some just wanted to reveal their secret undercover identity to anyone passing by.

Once again, I have to say it: Worst. Law enforcement. Ever.

A different passenger told me an interesting tale: one about a great big Touhoumon who sleeps peacefully, his presence no longer required by the world. His sleeping form guards the path between present and future.

It'd be pretty cool to see that for myself someday.

On the second floor of the passengers' cabins, more incompetant fishermen challenged me with their buckets. I only wish I were making this up.

At least the elderly gents of this floor were a lot more civil. One even posed to me the same question I pondered earlier: what makes a Touhoumon worthy to me? Is it strength? Beauty?

No, it's the understanding that we are partners. Only those that are members of my team can claim this, and that automatically makes them more valuable to me than any I do not own. At least, that's what I think. There's probably holes in this somewhere, but hey, I'm majoring in psychology, not philosophy.

The gentleman was very understanding of my belief, but his daughter was a bit more...peculiar. After our battle, she said something to me that made me shiver for a moment.

I wonder why was that?

In other news, all throughout the ship I've been hearing people talk about this technique called Cut, which could help me get past those overgrown weeds at the Vermilion Gym. Supposedly, this technique is something totally gossip-worthy, and not just a simple hack with a machete (come to think of it, where would I get one?). It's special because it's a Touhoumon doing it. As opposed to humans. I think that's how it works...right?

Eh, I never claimed to understand how this world thinks.

To earn this technique, I needed to talk with the captain of the ship. Unfortunately, he suffers from extreme seasickness. Sounds like someone needs to reconsider his choice of profession.

As I was on my way to the captain's cabin, though, who should I run into but Renko! (Who was apparently studying up for her French class.)

Always up for a friendly match, eh? Dueling complete strangers for money feels totally sketchy, but a joust between friends is a whole different matter.

It hasn't been that long since we last saw each other, though, and she's admitted that she's been working more on the Ayanote than on her Touhoumon's levels. Looks like she's setting up for a repeat of last time.

I think I was able to show her just how much stronger Magical Mary has grown since the beginning of our journey together. Mary shocked Renko's Aya out of the sky in an instant, although her priority moves were an annoyance.

Next up was her chibi Patchy, whom of course doesn't hold a candle to Mukyue. Having raised one myself, I know all about her abysmal defense. A clean physical strike, and she was already gasping for air. Since she posed such a minor threat, I let Magical Mary have some fun and pilfer her opponent instead. I wonder what sort of precious thing she stole?

Turnabout was fair play, though, and Renko exploited the same physical weakness to take down Magical Mary with her priority moves. I had Souseiseki repay the favor. Gosh, it looked like she hit really hard. I hope Renko's chibi Momiji will be OK after that...

Now, doesn't this scene look familiar? Souseiseki and Renko's Sakuya had such a standoff last time as well. This time was different, though. Sakuya did not create an insect popsicle this time around, and while her Perfect Square was a lot stronger than our attack, we had the initiative, and could still 2-shot her just the same, unlike before.

As Renko rushed off to the Eirin center after our battle, she told me more about the captain. If I'm going to learn Cut from him...I'm going to need to do something that I may regret later.

Ugh! Do you know how awkward and disgusting it is to rub a man that reeks of vomit for who knows how long? I just hope the next HM doesn't require me to give out sponge baths.

At least I got what I came for. And out of curiosity...no, I really shouldn't...but...

Excuse me while I open a window...

No new characters to vote on right now, so why don't we consider another character's moveset? This time we'll be looking at the One-Week Wizard, Patchouli Knowledge. A master of spellcraft, she possesses an extraordinary library of elemental attacks. To make her even more awesome, we can use her Final Fantasy form, which trades some of her special attack for a significant boost to HP and defense, making her more durable while still possessing an excellent special attack score. Her normal form has overkill special attack, but falls if anything physical so much as sneezes at her. And with her terrible speed, she could use some survivability.

The other reason to use her Final form over her EX form, though, is her expanded learnable movelist. Here are just four of the effective sets we could give her:

A. Five Elements Sign "Philosopher's Stone"

Fire Blast
    Ice Beam
    Morning Sun (Grass, 80 base power, 10% chance of lowering target's special defense)
    Five Elements (Psychic, 100 base power, 5 PP, 20% chance of Freeze, Burn, or Paralysis)

This set takes advantage of Patchy's enormous movepool to get fantastic type coverage, with a super-effective attack against an amazing 11 different types. Too bad Expert Belt wasn't around in this generation.

B. Moon Sign "Silent Selene"

Psychic
    Fire Blast / Black Wind (Dark, 70 base power, may raise all stats just like Ancientpower)
    Thunder Wave
    Mana Charge (+2 stages of Special Attack)

A somewhat "standard" set for Patchy. Thunder Wave slows down opponents to compensate for her terrible speed, and Mana Charge raises her already impressive special attack. Black Wind gets STAB and can raise all stats, but Fire Blast has better type coverage. Psychic can be Five Elements when she reaches the (really high) level to learn it, but Psychic does have the advantage of more PP for comparable power.

C. Sun Sign "Royal Flare"

Sunny Day
    Fire Blast
    Solarbeam
    Psychic / Five Elements

Yes, Patchy can also use the Sunnybeam combo. The only reservation I have is that she's too slow to sweep an entire team, but with her Final form's defenses she can afford to take a few hits while blasting away with enormously powerful attacks. Does require setup, though.

D. Sun Moon Sign "Royal Diamond Ring"

Psychic
    Calm Mind / Flamethrower
    Will-O-Wisp
    Bride Study (5 PP Recover-type move)

Believe it or not, Final Patchy makes a pretty decent tank. She's already got absurdly high special defense, and Will-O-Wisp will burn an opponent to cut their attack power in half. Throw in a recovery move, and she'll be hard to take down. The attacking move could be anything, really. Psychic gets STAB and 10 PP (beats Five Elements), but Flamethrower gets more PP and doesn't get walled by Dark types.

So...what do you think?
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-05-21 at 03:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

Poor Maribel. This version of Gensokyo is seriously twisted with lolicon sailors and a need to massage seasick old men...

Also i think that there is something wrong with the pictures, some of them got shown in two different places.

As for the moveset, i vote for Philosopher's Stone. Always having someone on hand who can make a super effective attack seems handy. Also it is the one that seems the most Patchy to me. I also support going for her Final form.

27. - Top - End - #237

Also i think that there is something wrong with the pictures, some of them got shown in two different places.
    Yeah...too many pictures in this one to keep track of. It's been fixed. Thanks.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

So. The biggest jerk you encountered onboard used a Tewi touhoumon.

Further comments - redundant.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    A. Five Elements Sign "Philosopher's Stone"
    Five elements, four moves. Is the hidden fifth ingredient Alice's Precious Thing? :P

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm voting for the philosopher's stone move set. Patchouli could always use that set to attempt a defense against Marisa's thefts.