New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Why aren't mounts/ride/handle animal/small size more important for optimization?

I'll see a few threads specifically about this type of optimization but rarely do I see it mixed in with normal optimization threads. It seems like it should be a standard for an optimized character, no? The things you can do with handle animal and mounts and such is pretty crazy, seems like every character should want to be good at it. Its almost as good (or maybe just as good) as leadership, but with less stigma.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Why aren't mounts/ride/handle animal/small size more important for optimization?

It's fiddly and requires a reasonable amount of skill to get to work, so it's not widespread. Most D&D games tend to assume that each player gets one PC and that's it, with maybe an animal companion or familiar. There are also practical issues with taking other creatures with you wherever you go.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why aren't mounts/ride/handle animal/small size more important for optimization?

Another issue is that, without investment, mounts tend to be rather fragile. And any investment in a better mount is less investment in a single character, which tends to limit mounts to dedicated builds, which are generally more niche.

Ride and Handle Animal both have mostly low static DC's and relatively few bonuses from class features/items as compared to other skills like Hide and Move Silently.

And size is one of the myriad considerations for a decent race choice.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The practicality issue is really the one that strikes me most important. Yes, you can use a skill check (and possibly a large amount of money) to get yourself an extra, credible melee threat to deploy against your foes. But that creature often can't meaningfully participate in dungeon crawls due to size, consumes a fair amount of your resources to train, equip and field, and can be defeated instantly by a fair number of attacks. Animals are kind of the extreme end of min-maxed fighters: incredibly good at melee, able to soak a lot of damage, and stupendously vulnerable to anti-melee tactics (glitterdust, ray of stupidity, whatever).

Also, a large amount of what you can do with an animal, you can do with a summons. Cost of a spell, rather than a notable portion of your build.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I find the Wild Cohort feat is non magical way of getting past some of that fragility. They are still not going to be all that powerful, but they will at least have some hit points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6

Thumbs up Re: Why aren't mounts/ride/handle animal/small size more important for optimization?

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    The things you can do with ... mounts and such is pretty crazy
    Why thank you

I'm aware my creation is pretty nuts.
    Last edited by PlzBreakMyCmpAn; 2010-05-03 at 02:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

It's simply not a part of standard optimization; what you do with e.g. Handle Animal has little bearing on what you do with animals or such. Handle Animal Guide does exist as does Mount Handbook, but the idea is that people can mix-and-match if they want a character with animal friends.

And small-sized races tend to be default suggestion for sneaks; just, sneak optimization isn't really all that common a question. But yeah, they come up, just it's that in optimization, people tend to want to deal with the optimization question at hands and help Person X to gain the character they want, and the "Beastmaster" is a rare question indeed.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.