New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 4e new update is up.

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates

They just uploaded it. Take a look, nothing big to me. Unfortunately PHB3 has only received 1 update so far.
    Last edited by Blazen; 2010-05-04 at 11:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: 4e new update is up.

What got changed?

Edit: For those of us stuck behind work firewalls that won't let us see it, I mean. I don't need details, I'm just generally interested in what sort of adjustments were made.
    Last edited by ShaggyMarco; 2010-05-04 at 11:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The link should take you to the pdf/zip files. They changed the Ardent's wormhole plunge that stops teleport spamming at level one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

It looks like they did a bit of work to "limit the potency of surgeless healing." The Cleric's Healer's Lore (+Wis to healing powers) now only applies when you let someone spend a healing surge. There are a couple other changes like that too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh, Daggermaster and Pit Fighter got nerfed. Now, they only for for rogue and fighter powers respectively. This means that the popular monk/rogue/daggermaster build and the ranger/fighter/pit fighter build are now dead.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Does Pit Fighter still add damage to melee basic attacks?

Also, what about the fighter's Victorious Surge power and other similar "as if you had spent a healing surge" powers?
    Last edited by ShaggyMarco; 2010-05-04 at 12:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm pretty disappointed by the change to Healer's Lore and Healer's Implement. Those really made for helpful features, especially in situations when the DM was pushing us to our very limits. We've had plenty of battles where the only healing I had left was my Consecrated ground and Astral Seal.

(Brutal DM, though he has yet to kill any of us)
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Silver View Post
    Oooh, Daggermaster and Pit Fighter got nerfed. Now, they only for for rogue and fighter powers respectively. This means that the popular monk/rogue/daggermaster build and the ranger/fighter/pit fighter build are now dead.
    Awww, I just finished statting up a Ranger|Fighter/Pit Fighter yesterday.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Healor's Lore requires the target to spend a healing surge. Also, I can understand the daggermaster change. Come on 18-24 20 crit range?
    edit: woops 20.
    Last edited by Blazen; 2010-05-04 at 01:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

I like the update to Infernal Wrath. I'm curious to see if it's still recommended to replace it in most cases.

@Blazen: What do you mean, 18-24? It's still 18-20 crit range, but it only applies to Rogue and Daggermaster powers now, so Sorcerers or other random classes that use Daggers can no longer end up with an 18-20 crit range by spending a feat (MC Rogue).
    Last edited by Master_Rahl22; 2010-05-04 at 01:02 PM.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blazen View Post
    The Healor's Lore requires the target to spend a healing surge. Also, I can understand the daggermaster change. Come on 18-24 crit range?
    Ummmm... how can range on d20 be anything over, you know... 20?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

How did Infernal Wrath get updated? Me and my Tiefling are interested.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ah, I see you meant 20. If figured that was the case but didn't want to assume. Anywho, it's balanced with Rogues, which is why it's now limited to them.

@Shaggy: It's now a free action with a trigger of being hit, and deals automatic fire damage with no attack roll, rather than giving a +1 to hit and extra fire damage on an attack in the future..
    Last edited by Master_Rahl22; 2010-05-04 at 01:06 PM.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

When an enemy within 10 squares hits you they take 1d6 (scaling) + int/cha fire damage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Is it an immediate reaction now? Or is the damage just bigger than the static damage before?

Does this work completely different now? What about all of the feats that adjust it?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    I'm pretty disappointed by the change to Healer's Lore and Healer's Implement. Those really made for helpful features, especially in situations when the DM was pushing us to our very limits. We've had plenty of battles where the only healing I had left was my Consecrated ground and Astral Seal.

(Brutal DM, though he has yet to kill any of us)
    To be honest, though, Astral Seal had ridiculous healing output before the nerf.

They're also letting Small guys use Medium mounts again. Hovering also got nerfed and boosted at the same time: hovering means you can't fall from stun, but everything else that hovering could do has been given to other forms of Flight as well.

Displacer armor got hit hard...
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyMarco View Post
    Is it an immediate reaction now? Or is the damage just bigger than the static damage before?

Does this work completely different now? What about all of the feats that adjust it?
    It's completely different, and the feats that play off of it have been affected as well.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-05-04 at 01:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Its a free action. The damage is bigger (1/2/3d6 + int/cha). Not sure about feats though.
    There was a change done to the weakened status.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your attacks deal half damage. However, two kinds of damage that you deal are not affected: ongoing damage and damage that isn’t generated by an attack roll.

Does this mean any damage not in a hit or miss line? I am wondering, would whirling rend, a barbarian attack where when you hit you also auto hit another target. would both hits be weakened?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The ones that jumped out at me

Aid another has been updated so that it's 10+1/2 level DC, rather than a flat DC 10.

Charging has been updated. The rules on movement in a charge are stated a bit more explicitly, as well as that you can only use Free Actions after a charge (and using an action point is considered a free action)

Feychargers got a bit of a nerf (needed, in my opinion). It's now outlined that when you use your Fey Charge power, you're not actually using your Fey Step ability, so any feats or ability bonuses that key off of using "Fey Step" don't happen when you use Fey Charge

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Blazen View Post
    There was a change done to the weakened status.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your attacks deal half damage. However, two kinds of damage that you deal are not affected: ongoing damage and damage that isn’t generated by an attack roll.

Does this mean any damage not in a hit or miss line? I am wondering, would whirling rend, a barbarian attack where when you hit you also auto hit another target. would both hits be weakened?
    I believe that would still be considered "triggering from an attack roll." Things that wouldn't be triggered from an attack roll would be something like a damaging aura, or a zone that was created before you were weakened that deals automatic damage to a creature that starts its turn in it.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-05-04 at 01:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow displacer armor was seriously broken. Are you really surprised that they changed it to a 1 turn thing now?
    @Hzur: In that case, many controllers and leaders just got a nice buff.
    Last edited by Blazen; 2010-05-04 at 01:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

WE GOT MEDIUM MOUNTS!

Well, not really, but it's a step in the right direction. Now all we need is an "Enhance Beast Companion" ritual.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just noticed: Enlarged Sword Burst got axed, as did (somewhat ironically) Enlarged Fireball. Now only Wizard At-Wills and Encounter powers can be affected by Enlarge Spell.

23. - Top - End - #23

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    Aid another has been updated so that it's 10+1/2 level DC, rather than a flat DC 10.
    So it gets harder to help someone the higher you level? That makes perfect sense [/sarcasm]
    My girlfriend(non-gamer) after watching me play an RPG on the Xbox: "So, you're just killing people and taking their stuff?"
    Me-.....Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    "You weak minded fools! If you had the strength of will to look past his illusionary fire, you would see that - OH GOD, IT BURNS! IT BURNS EVEN HOTTER THAN THE REAL THING!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintjebus View Post
    So it gets harder to help someone the higher you level? That makes perfect sense [/sarcasm]
    "I am a fighter that knows nothing about magic, but because I am high enough level, I can't fail to help the wizard use rituals" also makes perfect sense.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

25. - Top - End - #25

SwashbucklerGuy

Actually, it does. The fighter is aiding the wizard- not casting the spell itself. It may be that the fighters role in aiding is "Stand there. Hold this potion. Hand me that spoon. Hold very, very still...."

That kind of thing doesn't get harder as you get more experience- it probably gets easier(especially if you have helped that particular wizard for most of your adventuring career).
    My girlfriend(non-gamer) after watching me play an RPG on the Xbox: "So, you're just killing people and taking their stuff?"
    Me-.....Right!

"You weak minded fools! If you had the strength of will to look past his illusionary fire, you would see that - OH GOD, IT BURNS! IT BURNS EVEN HOTTER THAN THE REAL THING!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintjebus View Post
    That kind of thing doesn't get harder as you get more experience- it probably gets easier(especially if you have helped that particular wizard for most of your adventuring career).
    Of course it doesn't get harder. It stays exactly as hard as it always has from level 1 to level 30.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

The problem is that since it is 10 + 1/2 level, it simply eliminates the 1/2 level from the equation, because that's what you get added to your skill check. I just is going back to the paradigm that no matter how much you adventure, you are not going to have the min brains necessary to just "pick up" random information by virtue of being around experts in the field.
    Me-.....Right!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

So how is my Dagger Sorceror supposed to get an 18-20 Crit range now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

*gets to the DP bit*

...they nerfed Avengers

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by Saintjebus
    The problem is that since it is 10 + 1/2 level, it simply eliminates the 1/2 level from the equation, because that's what you get added to your skill check. I just is going back to the paradigm that no matter how much you adventure, you are not going to have the min brains necessary to just "pick up" random information by virtue of being around experts in the field.
    4e has always assumed that characters face skill checks appropriate to their level. If the checks are getting harder, then logically, the checks to attempt to aid somebody with one of them should be getting harder. This in turn means that if characters go up in level, the checks they should actually be facing should be getting harder. The system doesn't care about a level 20 character deciding to Aid Another on a level 4 check, and it never has. It's consistent with how 4e has been since the beginning.

...I hope that that's coherent enough to make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    So how is my Dagger Sorceror supposed to get an 18-20 Crit range now?
    I was about to say, "Student of Caiphon with a Sunblade," but then I realized they'd killed that combo months ago.

Looks like it's the Luckbender PP for you, then.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan