New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Red wizard in trouble

I'm in dire need of forum assistance. I built a lvl20 red wizard for an oncoming super optimized campaign and I was relying on 5 simulacrums of myself, to use all their spell slots to power my circle magic, but my DM has ruled, that simulacrums don't have spellcasting abilities. Is there any other way for me to get my daily dose of circle levels? Leadership is apparently also out

Oh, books allowed are PhB, MM1, DMG and SpC.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Red wizard in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    I'm in dire need of forum assistance. I built a lvl20 red wizard for an oncoming super optimized campaign and I was relying on 5 simulacrums of myself, to use all their spell slots to power my circle magic, but my DM has ruled, that simulacrums don't have spellcasting abilities. Is there any other way for me to get my daily dose of circle levels? Leadership is apparently also out

Oh, books allowed are PhB, MM1, DMG and SpC.
    Gate/Planar Binding, with doses of Programmed Amnesia or similars as necessary. PAO into Human to qualify, and make 'em take Tattoo Focus through Psychic Reformation or whatever.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-05-10 at 05:21 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Planar binding.

(It solves everything ever, by the way.)
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

4. - Top - End - #4

Ok, but which monsters should I bind? The only one I could find with wizard spellcasting in the mm1 is the aboleth mage. And if i polymorph him into a human, won't his int drop to 10?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)."

Ask him if he's going to houserule any of the other characters' shick to not work, or if he's only going to pick on you.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    "It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)."

Ask him if he's going to houserule any of the other characters' shick to not work, or if he's only going to pick on you.
    I don't believe he's being unfair on purpose, he probably just doesn't want me creating an army of pseudo tarasques and destroy the world..

Ok, how about this: Instead of killing enemy wizards, I could capture a few mid-leveled ones(so they don't pose a threat if they escape), dominate them, and juice them for spells every morning. This should work, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ok, how about this: Instead of killing enemy wizards, I could capture a few mid-leveled ones(so they don't pose a threat if they escape), dominate them, and juice them for spells every morning. This should work, right?
    Definitely. Dominate person: when planar binding is just overkill.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't believe he's being unfair on purpose, he probably just doesn't want me creating an army of pseudo tarasques and destroy the world.
    If he's nerfing simulacrum to stop you using circle magic, he might stop you finding other ways around it. Just tell him you won't break the game on purpose, and that if it happens by accident, you'll play as a monk next campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Just tell him you won't break the game on purpose, and that if it happens by accident, you'll play as a monk next campaign.
    You have a sick mind, my friend, for suggesting that punishment.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!