New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Looking for just a little help. (3.5e)

Running a 3.5 game, and I wanted to make a necromantic-focused Sorcerer. More importantly, a minion-type necromancer.
    Problem is, I'm somewhat worried that there might be a severe issue of 'I have no real idea how to build this and I very well might suck horribly at it'.
    I'm aware I rolled extremely well, my DM absolutely insisted I not re-roll.

Human Sorcerer 1
    Stats Rolled:
    Str 8
    Dex 16
    Con 15
    Int 18
    Wis 16
    Cha 18
    Flaw rolled: Noncombatant (-2 to melee attack rolls)
    Feats: Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane, get a free 2nd level spell slot and spell. I chose Command Undead, obviously)
    Spell Focus (Necromancy)
    And one other I haven't decided upon.
    Weasel familiar.

Now, my other party members are going to be a crusader and a rogue, plus one other of a class that I don't know yet. Remember, I don't want to outclass anyone, but I don't want to be useless, either.
    Any advice I could get is of much use.
    Currently DMing: Final Fantasy RPG 3e, Pokémon Tabletop United

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for just a little help. (3.5e)

Have you considered playing the Dread Necromancer class? It's a spontaneous caster with a preselected spell list which makes it easier to play for someone who wants a necromancy focused caster.

Incidentally, suggest you switch Con and Wis.

Also, take Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell. You can snag that second level spell using two decent feats. This works because the Dread Necromancer knows every spell on his spell list, even if he can't quite cast them yet. It's also better in the long run.
    Last edited by Prodan; 2010-05-10 at 02:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prodan View Post
    Have you considered playing the Dread Necromancer class? It's a spontaneous caster with a preselected spell list which makes it easier to play for someone who wants a necromancy focused caster.
    And Charisma-focused to boot. It's basically exactly what you want in a can. Much, much better than Sorcerer in this particular job (not much else, of course, but who cares when this is what you want). It's from Heroes of Horror.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-05-10 at 02:22 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGirl

If you can, replace the Noncombatant flaw with something else. Many necromantic effects require a touch attack. Speaking of which, you may want Weapon Finesse (touch attack) for that last feat, effectively giving you +4 on touch attacks (-1 changes into +3)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I'm aware of the Dread Necromancer, but it has some things I don't want to deal with, for characterization reasons. I know it seems silly, but I'd actually like to stay away from it.

Is there any other viable method of doing this?

On another note, what would you advise me to take as far as spells known?
    Last edited by Loxagn; 2010-05-10 at 02:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

For PrC options, 2 levels of Pale Master (LM) is good for the free Animate Dead, though it'll cost you a caster level (and while you're there, you might as well take the remaining 8 levels and get a cohort along with a few nice abilities). You need Knowledge (Religion) 8 to get in though, so you'd probably have to spend a feat on either Education (PGtF) or Knowledge Devotion (CC) to get it as a class skill and get in in a timely manner.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loxagn View Post
    I'm aware of the Dread Necromancer, but it has some things I don't want to deal with, for characterization reasons. I know it seems silly, but I'd actually like to stay away from it.
    Ask the DM to let you refluff it. Mechanics-wise, Dread Necromancer is going to be the best for what you want to do. If it's an issue of flavor, see if your DM will let you change it.

Otherwise, just pick necromancy spells. If you're going to go with trying to get the touch spells off, consider the Battle Sorcerer from UA.
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, I found the Pale Master, and all I can say is 'wow'. This class may be exactly what I'm looking for. Many thanks, to all.

And yeah, I think I'll see about re-rolling that flaw. Thanks.
    Last edited by Loxagn; 2010-05-10 at 03:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Noncombatant is a great flaw for a non-gish sorcerer, matched only by Inattentive and certain Dragon flaws nobody ever mentions; no need to reroll it. You really don't want to go into melee; undead minions are there for a reason, right? The best necromancy debuffs are ranged touch anyhow: Ray of Enfeeblement/Clumsiness, Enervation, Ray of Exhaustion, etc.

Also, Battle Sorcerer is a trap; don't ever take it for any reason whatsoever. It trades away the single most important resource a sorcerer has (spells known) in exchange for negligible benefits (a bit of extra HP and base attack) that only matter even minimally if you don't PrC out (which you should). The one time I've taken it was for a gish character that used it to get early entry into Swiftblade, and even then I regretted the decision. It's just bad.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Bayaseda View Post
    If you can, replace the Noncombatant flaw with something else. Many necromantic effects require a touch attack. Speaking of which, you may want Weapon Finesse (touch attack) for that last feat, effectively giving you +4 on touch attacks (-1 changes into +3)
    Touch attacks already use dex to hit.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Touch attacks already use dex to hit.
    No, ranged touch attacks use dex to hit. Regular touch attacks use Str. But that's okay, because ranged touch attacks are superior in any case and you do not want to go into melee.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Pale master is pretty much trap-tastic. I recommend almost any other PrC.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Pale master is pretty much trap-tastic. I recommend almost any other PrC.
    It's not that bad. The entry requirements eat feats like a hungry cannibal eats missionaries, and the lost caster level sucks, but the class features aren't nearly that bad. Animate Dead for free is nice, the immunities are decent, and the free cohort is certainly not bad for a Cha-based caster. Granted, its touch attacks and Control Undead aren't worth using, but as far as PrCs go, it's flavorful, fits the concept, and is decent enough mechanically if used right. Certainly better than something like *shudder* True Necromancer.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Take the Corpsecrafter feats, from Libris Mortis. And Undead Leadership as well. When your minions say, "He made me the man death-beast I am today," THEY MEAN IT.

And don't forget the Fell metamagic feats. Fell Drain is particularly nice.

If one of your undead has levels in commoner, give it the Infested With Chickens flaw, just so you can make zombie chicken nega-bombs.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-05-10 at 04:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the spell I like the most for making undead is Create Dread Warrior, from Unapproachable East. It's a faerun book, but very famous for a couple of extremely popular PrCs, and some great feats.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Like I said, I'm partying with lower-tier classes, I'm a full caster, I've got stats that are nothing short of awesome, and I think I could stand to lose a caster level for some extra undead-ness that doesn't end in lichification. I'll be taking Pale Master.

The corpsecrafter feats look great though, I'll be taking those for sure. And at any rate, I re-rolled for a flaw that gives some more roleplay opportunity, so I'm good.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. ^_^