New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What is a construct? [3.5]

I have never been entirely sure how a construct is made, and how it has the, admittedly only an imitation, of life. I understand that arcana is used to build it, but I'm not clear on how it works.
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What is a construct? [3.5]

IIRC, golems, at least, have an Earth elemental bound to them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on the construct. Generally, magic is used to bind an animating spirit to a body--nature spirit for a bogun, elemental spirit for a golem, shadow spirit for an automaton, etc. So a construct is alive in the same way a living creature would be if their soul were a separate entity.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

So its something akin to an elemental's memory being cleaned and being placed into the body as a blank slate.

Hmm, they could also be some kind of long arcane programming, detailing all sorts of if->then statements. I don't think its ever been specifically explained like this, but it makes sense, constructs are fantasy robots.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    So its something akin to an elemental's memory being cleaned and being placed into the body as a blank slate.

Hmm, they could also be some kind of long arcane programming, detailing all sorts of if->then statements. I don't think its ever been specifically explained like this, but it makes sense, constructs are fantasy robots.
    Heckles cakes, most robots of science fiction can be considered fantasy robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Except... no. Nothing happens to the elemental's mind, because it's not in control of the construct.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Except... no. Nothing happens to the elemental's mind, because it's not in control of the construct.
    Well, one has to wonder what exactly happens to the elemental then. They've got Int/Wis/Cha, so they have sentience. It would suck for them to just be stuck as some kind of power source, fully aware of what's going on.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, one has to wonder what exactly happens to the elemental then. They've got Int/Wis/Cha, so they have sentience. It would suck for them to just be stuck as some kind of power source, fully aware of what's going on.
    Ever looked at the Eberron campaign setting? Happens all the time there.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Yup. Including scientific debates a la:
    "Elementals are intelligent! We can't just imprison them!"
    "They aren't sentient, they are forces of nature."
    "But we went to their home plane and talked to them..."
    "Bah. Just look at what they do when they get free. They just burn everything down."
    "That's because they are angry."
    "You can't prove that. A storm isn't angry, and neither is a wildfire."
    "You are compromised! You accepted credit letters from the Dragonmarked houses and several Zilargo binding corporations!"
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-05-10 at 05:08 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

clay and flesh golems their is a chance that the elemental driven insane by its imprisonment break free and takes control of the golem

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd say the spirit bound to a contruct is more of a power source than a controller

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite. They aren't Elementals, capital 'e', the Monster Manual creature; they're elementals, lowercase 'e', just barely-sentient spirits from the elemental planes. While it's possible for fully sapient elementals to be bound, as they are in Eberron, that's not what golems are; elemental spirits : Elementals :: animals : humanoids, basically.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    clay and flesh golems their is a chance that the elemental driven insane by its imprisonment break free and takes control of the golem
    Basically, this.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    I'd say the spirit bound to a contruct is more of a power source than a controller
    This is pretty much what I thought too.

Note that there are other constructs that are powered by different things, but most of these are just conjecture:

1. Inevitables are likely powered by concepts of law, which is why they tend to specialize in certain aspects of law and order.
    2. Golems are powered by elementals.
    3. Animated objects are powered by raw arcane energy.
    4. Warforged are powered by PEOPLE! WARFORGED ARE MADE OF PEOPLE! no one really knows. I'd say they're also powered by raw arcane energy, but are made in such a way that they achieve sentience.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

15. - Top - End - #15

RangerGuy

What is a Golem? Nothing but a miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

OK then, in regards to a Techsmith's Gondsman, how is that sapient? I know that it has self-awareness, a personality, and can understand things like a humanoid can, but it is not specifically created via arcana, nor is the spirit of an elemental or some such bound to the internal mainframe.
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    What is a Golem? Nothing but a miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!
    Well, we are made made of meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Some constructs have more intelligence than others. Nimblewrights from MM, for example, are made using an elemental- but have intelligence, which golems do not.

There are Int 2 elemental swarms in Planar Handbook- maybe those are the basis for standard golems, being of only animal intelligence?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. Actually, once a golem is destroyed, I'd say it was only fair if the bound elemental got a chance to break free and vent some anger at that.

20. - Top - End - #20

Some constructs, such as intelligent magic items, have no animating spirit- they merely have a consciousness.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

So where do Incarnate Constructs fit into this debate? Or Awakened Constructs? Is it the elemental spirit given free will?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Incarnate Constructs actually have souls. They're Living Constructs. So maybe the elemental spirit isn't needed anymore?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Or the elemental is converted into a soul through the incarnation process.

There are methods (like Incarnum) that let you convert souls into elemental energy, so the reverse should be possible as well.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Graek Wolf-Fang View Post
    OK then, in regards to a Techsmith's Gondsman, how is that sapient?
    It's a class feature, like Evasion. It works that way because the rules say that it does. Within the context of the game world, there are, presumably, principles that make it work, but these are left unspecified. Perhaps someone who really wanted to could write up a comprehensive 200-page treatise explaining all of the fictional phenomena that account for a construct's functioning, but D&D doesn't deal with things in anything like that level of detail. The character goes through an elaborate series of gestures and incantations, but the player just says "My wizard prepares fireball". The player is insulated from such minutia through a heavy layer of abstraction.

Occasionally, one may see a bit of nerdwankery that will almost certainly never come up in play. E.g., we might be told that dragons' breath weapons are produced by a special organ that also plays a role in digestion. This sort of thing can be interesting to read. But it would be impossible to answer every possible question. Indeed, traditionally certain questions were pointedly left unanswered so as to evoke a sense of mystery and so on.

I don't think that there's a lot of official information about how constructs work. They're basically magic items whose special magical properties are that they see and hear and walk around and stuff. If you really want more fluff for them, I'm sure that there are people who'd be happy to make some up (or already have), but I don't think that there's a lot of official construct fluff.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Well, Incarnate Constructs actually have souls. They're Living Constructs. So maybe the elemental spirit isn't needed anymore?
    The description in the Soulfused Construct template says that the golem develops a soul in addition to the elemental spirit.

Incarnate Constructs lose things like the Berserk quality, so I'd say the elemental becomes their soul.