New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 3.5 Optimization Challenge: An Elephant Who Never Forgets - TO KILL

I present to you, my fellow forum-goers, a challenge: Make the most interesting/deadly character possible, using an awakened elephant as the race. No good alignment allowed: this Elephant is a killer, not a lover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 3.5 Optimization Challenge: An Elephant Who Never Forgets - TO KILL

Option 1: Druid
    Option 2: Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker
    Option 3: Hulking Hurler/War Hulk

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

What are the stats for the Elephant? Regardless Wizard 20
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral Human Cleric (2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 14

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I can do you one better than mere Awakened Elephant.

Half-Minotaur Incarnate Warforged Were-elephant. Add levels of War Hulk to taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5

Note that I said interesting, as well as deadly, so resorting to old an standby will disappoint me greatly.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Note that I said interesting, as well as deadly, so resorting to old an standby will disappoint me greatly.
    Option 4: Cancer Mage

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Fighter 20. At level 1, the Elephant takes Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms), and uses the firearm rules from the DMG to shoot people.

There, that different enough for you?
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-05-10 at 09:58 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bear Warrior. I mean, you're an Elephant, that CAN TURN INTO A BEAR.

As for powerful? Well, you qualify for size-based feats. Use improved grab and the multigrab chain, then get drunken master/hulking hurler and bloodstorm blade in, and you can throw people at people, and have the first people come back to your hand. How awesome is that?
    Last edited by term1nally s1ck; 2010-05-10 at 10:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by term1nally s1ck View Post
    As for powerful? Well, you qualify for size-based feats. Use improved grab and the multigrab chain, then get drunken master/hulking hurler and bloodstorm blade in, and you can throw people at people, and have the first people come back to your hand. How awesome is that?
    Our current front runner.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Are Loxo, Maelephant or Thaskor allowed?

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prodan View Post
    Option 1: Druid
    Option 2: Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker
    Option 3: Hulking Hurler/War Hulk
    I won the first BG Iron Chef contest with an elephant hulking hurler...

Well, technically I had to go with centaur, but the optimized build was Druid 17/Hulking Hurler 3, noting that a standard elephant has immensely strong trunk, able to lift entire trees from its roots. Then add +16 Str to that from Bite of the Weretiger, plus the feat to quadruple carrying capacity, and the result was an incredibly damaging hulking hurler.

And with your own elephant animal companion, you always have something to hurl at opponents.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

On an off-note, thank you for reminding me of that Futurama episode.
    Hey people, I can see you signed your name. You don't need to do this. I can see it on the side, right above your avatar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

I considered making one using the Book of Erotic Fantasy for a grappler who...ahem...crushed his victims to death.*

But I don't think I will.

*That's what we call a REAL assplomancer, son.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-05-10 at 11:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Ah, this brings up memories of Dwarf Fortress. Give the elephant multiple ways to sever limbs, absurd aggression problems (barbarian?) and a penchant for burning to death in lava, along with the ability to ignore crossbow bolts through several organs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Awakened Divine Minion of Sebek (for Evil Outsider type at +1 LA) Elephant 13/Warlock 1/Fiend of Possession 6.

Every villain the PC's ever face should end up being a dastardly 5 ton elephant in disguise. It would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-05-11 at 12:18 AM. Reason: right. prerequisites. those things.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Divine minion of Set elephant totemist bear warrior with the Blessed of Tem-Et-Nu and Lich Loved feats.

Think about it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Awakened Divine Minion of Sebek (for Evil Outsider type at +1 LA) Elephant 13/Warlock 1/Fiend of Possession 6.

Every villain the PC's ever face should end up being a dastardly 5 ton elephant in disguise. It would be fantastic.
    That... I may have to use that, now. You kill the evil mayor and a demonic elephant warlock pops out.

18. - Top - End - #18

I don't want to think about that. Might be the most awesome family tree ever though.

Seconding fiend of posession. For the lulz.

19. - Top - End - #19

I prefer the complete opposite. A awakened elephant rogue/assassin. Sneaking around, dressed in tight black clothes and backstabbing his friendly neighbors. Very discreet.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

A phrenic incarnate construct effigy lycanthrope (T-Rex) elephant dragonfire adept/warlock/dread pirate.

Yes, it's a psychic t-rex transformer elephant pirate that breathes fire, with frickin' laser beams firing from its frickin' eyes.

Alternately...

A deity kaiju elephant cleric 20/druid 20.

AIEEEE! IT'S GODZILLAPHANT!
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-05-11 at 12:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    A phrenic incarnate construct effigy lycanthrope (T-Rex) elephant dragonfire adept/warlock/dread pirate.

Yes, it's a psychic t-rex transformer elephant pirate that breathes fire, with frickin' laser beams firing from its frickin' eyes.
    In other words, it's a robot dinosaur that shoots beams when it roars.

In other news, I am totally making every single villain in my next campaign an elephant. Especially the bands of kobolds.

"Okay, you dealt 11 damage to the kobold, killing him. You suddenly realise it's an elephant."
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Elephant bard with Perform (Ballet) and Leap Attack.

How about an elephant bard/loremaster, for an elephant that REALLY doesn't forget?

A pseudonatural farspawn half-aboleth weresquid elephant wizard/alienist. More tentacles than any elephant has a right to.

Half-fiend half-celestial midget dvati were-elephant. One for each shoulder.

A rare pink elephant drunken master with a ring of superior invisibility.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-05-11 at 01:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Stampy
    Awakened Elephant
    Huge Magical Beast (Augmented Animal) currently Gargantuan
    Racial HD 13/ Ur-Priest 7
    Divine Metamagic: Persistent, Ability Focus: Trample
    DMM: Persist spells:
    Divine Power
    Righteous Might
    Footsteps of the Divine (Fharlanghn) from Complete Champion
    Strength 40 +15 (30 base, +6 Enhancement, +4 Size)
    Trample damage 2d8+22, average 31

Assuming 20 hours remains on Footsteps, that's +120,000 ft. for one round, plus the initial +50 ft. it grants, on the elephant's 40 ft. land speed. That's 120,090 ft. land speed, it moves double speed when Trampling, and he occupies a 20 ft. space, or sixteen squares, so he can trample 768,576 squares in a single round. Also, I'm pretty sure nothing in the rules says you can't trample back over the same creatures multiple times. Given ideal circumstances (32 medium creatures in a 20x40 ft room), Stampy can trample out an average of 23,825,856 damage in a single round.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Insectile elephant monk. Name it Ganesh.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-05-11 at 01:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

This thread is made of win. I especially like some of Lycanthromancer's basic ideas: an Egypt-flavored Undead Totemist elephant, and a ballet-based elephant.

I would also like to nominate:

An elephant factotum with a monocle and a British accent. Maybe Factotum/Archivist?

An elephant Ranger with favored enemies Animal and Humanoid (human) and an Australian accent. Named Steve.

An elephant Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal. With a focus on the vestige Dantalion, makes a great "never forgets" theme. (Too bad Scion of Dantalion is human-only ...)

EDIT: Really, any character concept is just better when you add in "elephant."

A vengeful elephant Hexblade/Blackguard?

A Spymaster focused on Disguise? (That should go over well.)
    Last edited by Draz74; 2010-05-11 at 05:31 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    Insectile elephant monk. Name it Ganesh.
    But only if he befriends an awakened wombat.

And if you haven't read this webcomic. . .*bad Arnie voice* DO IT NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

elephant assassin?
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

wizard 20 :)

Although, every wizard needs a good meat shield, and an elephant chain tripper would rule!

joking aside, Biffoniacus_Furiou has the perfect build. with it having 13 useless RHD it is in a pretty bad place to begin with... Ur Priest is the best solution.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-05-11 at 05:04 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Fighter 20. At level 1, the Elephant takes Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms), and uses the firearm rules from the DMG to shoot people.

There, that different enough for you?
    If the firearm is an heavy machine gun instead of the DMG ones, you sold it to me.

Alternatively, an awakened elephant with a flame thrower and a permanent insanity effect...
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Step 1: take famous fictional character.

Step 2: change race to awakened elefant.

Don't believe me?

Elephana Jones: Awakened Elephant Rogue 3/Archivist 4. Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whip.

Obi-phant Kenobi: Awakened Elephant Soulknife 3/Swordsage 5.

Continue until awesome is achieved.

Alternatively: Were-rat elephant. Because I always wanted to see an elephant transform into a mouse.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-05-11 at 05:46 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist