New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default All shields should have cover

example of a large shield

For all of us who have used a kiteshield or other shields that would be considered large in D&D and have hunched down behind them while someone is loosing arrows at you, you might have noticed they provide decent cover.

So what I'm suggesting is a homebrew rule, so to say, that large shields provide a cover of 50% as long as you are aware of the attacking archer and you are positioined so that you may use your shield against said archer. small shields would give a cover of 30%

any opinions, suggestions, trolling etc etc?

Technically this is a large shield as well

now this is a small shield. pic's are just for making examples.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: All shields should have cover

While it may or may not be more realistic, it's rather fiddly to be rolling percentile dice with almost every archer attack. We have an archer who absolutely spams arrows and I tell you, it would make combat a right slog to have to keep track of that kind of dice rolling. But hey, if you want to house rule that, try it and see if it works for your group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Following that logic armor should give even more cover, since it covers a larger % of the body.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

raven: good point. how about just increasing the AC vs arrows?
    Khaine: no. thats what we have AC for. my point is that a +2 to AC in melee is resonable, but vs arrows it should be higher
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shademan View Post
    Maybe that would be a good idea. I would include bolts, sling bullets and similar projectiles in this. Like I said, try it and see.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-05-11 at 04:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

yeah, I just say "arrow" for simplicitys sake. SHOULD say "projectiles"

so maybe like this:
    small shields bonus vs projectiles: 1
    large: 2
    buckler: haha! no.
    tower: you have cover so ssshhh
    Last edited by Shademan; 2010-05-11 at 04:44 AM.

on M&B:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, I just say "arrow" for simplicitys sake. SHOULD say "projectiles"
    Yes, the Snot Slingers of the Boogie Bogey Swamps shall learn to fear our shields, as will the Pea Shooters of Miss Marmins Grade 2 class!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

those pea shooters are enchanted!

on M&B:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm curious: Would you include grenade-like weapons and non-ray ranged touch attacks (such as Orb of x) in your definition of projectiles?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

thats a iffy one...
    I would say that if it ignores AC(as in...the actual armour) it ignores the shield

on M&B:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

the thing is, a shield is not a solid wall, its fairly flimsy and tends to break apart during combat.
    cover also gives a whole lot of benefits, such as immunity to AoO.

I think a better idea is that shields provide double their base bonus (before magic enhancement) to AC vs ranged attacks (eg, arrows, bullets, etc) BUT:
    1. Only if you are not in melee (they already get a -4 penalty, and the fact you are swinging it around and not necessarily facing the archer with it works to your detriment. It still gives the regular bonus.
    2. Only vs a certain direction, in a ~45 degree arc.
    3. Only when not flat footed.

When you hunker down behind your shield while pointing it AT an archer it provides extra protection... the question is, should you now lose your bonus vs archery attacks coming at you from behind? I think part of the abstraction of the AC is that you COULD be facing the opponent, or you could be facing the other way. Maybe you swung your shield in the way, maybe they snuck behind you and hit you where the shield wasn't, etc...
    But if you want to have such a rule I think the above method is the way to do it.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    the thing is, a shield is not a solid wall, its fairly flimsy and tends to break apart during combat.
    cover also gives a whole lot of benefits, such as immunity to AoO.

I think a better idea is that shields provide double their base bonus (before magic enhancement) to AC vs ranged attacks (eg, arrows, bullets, etc) BUT:
    1. Only if you are not in melee (they already get a -4 penalty, and the fact you are swinging it around and not necessarily facing the archer with it works to your detriment. It still gives the regular bonus.

When you hunker down behind your shield while pointing it AT an archer it provides extra protection... the question is, should you now lose your bonus vs archery attacks coming at you from behind? I think part of the abstraction of the AC is that you COULD be facing the opponent, or you could be facing the other way. Maybe you swung your shield in the way, maybe they snuck behind you and hit you where the shield wasn't, etc...
    But if you want to have such a rule I think the above method is the way to do it.
    I completely agree. that is very reasonable.
    and yes, if you hunker down behind your shield while a archer gets behind you, you should loose your bonus.

on M&B:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

In 3.5, cover is represented simply by an increase to your armor class, which shields provide. The armor class is derived from the idea that a combatant with a shield will be making every effort to deflect blows with their shield.

You could play an older edition in which they did this rather than looking at what is currently available and presenting it as a new idea. AD&D gave characters with higher dexterity and those with shields bonus AC against missile attacks, iirc.

If you go back to D&D's roots in Chainmail, I believe shields actually offered a chance to increase armor class.

Edit: Now, I think one should be able to take cover behind most large shields similar to how one can with a tower shield. This grants a bonus to reflex saves as well as making one practically immune to arrow fire. Add in a feat that allows one to ready an action to take cover behind the shield by expending their move action or something similar, and I think what you're looking for can be modeled simply.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-05-11 at 05:16 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

14. - Top - End - #14

Goblin

I like this extra-AC-vs.-missiles-when-not-flat-footed rule. Makes shields a bit better, which is good.

What do you think about adding it to ranged touch as well? or perhaps only with enchanted shields?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem View Post
    What do you think about adding it to ranged touch as well?
    There's a feat for that. Shield Ward (PH2) adds shield AC to touch AC AND to rolls to resist bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun and trip attempts.

I completely agree. that is very reasonable.
    and yes, if you hunker down behind your shield while a archer gets behind you, you should loose your bonus.
    (I'm still assuming we're talking 3.5) Adding facing into a game that doesn't normally model it opens up a big ol' can of worms. As K put it:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dungeonomicon
    Hiding in 3.5 D&D is Dumb

The 3.5 rules for hiding, where you need cover or concealment to hide, are retarded. That makes Rogues run around with tower shields so that they can hide themselves and their equipment behind the cover of the tower shield (including the tower shield itself, which makes my brain hurt). Yes, you can totally hide when there are no intervening objects between you and the victim. It's called "sneaking up behind people" and in a game with no facing it's handled with a hide check opposed by spot.
    It's reasonable enough to deny shield AC (and associated benefits of using a shield such as taking cover) when one is flat-footed. When an opposing archer isn't the only one to watch for, it should be equally reasonable to for such an archer to stealthily move into a more advantageous position. But I similarly believe that a shield-bearer focusing on protecting himself could easily maneuver his shield amid a 6-second round to a position that would continue to protect him from said archer.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-05-11 at 05:29 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    the thing is, a shield is not a solid wall, its fairly I think a better idea is that shields provide double their base bonus (before magic enhancement) to AC vs ranged attacks (eg, arrows, bullets, etc) BUT:
    I'd agree on 1 and 3, but not 2. Also, bucklers should have a special rule that says their effect is not doubled versus ranged attacks (giving the light shield some real advantage).

Of course, while helping fix one problem, we're compounding another, since just as sword & board is underpowered, so too is archery (at least, in terms of being a viable primary tactic), and this makes it even weaker.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Of course, while helping fix one problem, we're compounding another, since just as sword & board is underpowered, so too is archery (at least, in terms of being a viable primary tactic), and this makes it even weaker.
    Further, making a thing more complicated is generally a good way to discourage it. From the perspective of the player (not the PC), magic is far simpler.

obnoxious
    sig

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Yes, the Snot Slingers of the Boogie Bogey Swamps shall learn to fear our shields, as will the Pea Shooters of Miss Marmins Grade 2 class!
    Hey, Pea shooters kill zombies.

IT: I would say "no shield should have cover", which is a clunky mechanics, and all shields should have bonus AC vs. projectile and touch attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Schubert Guy What Wrote that Vampire Article
    In the D&D game, so much of a character’s identity is expressed by the powers that character can use.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pasko77 View Post
    Hey, Pea shooters kill zombies.
    But of course, they had not our shields.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

We fight in the shade.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

another thing is the ridiculus ammount of feats you need to do stuff a fighter (or anyone with proficiency) is expected to know, like how to do a shield-wall.
    naturally, this can be easily houseruled away.

on M&B:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    I'd agree on 1 and 3, but not 2. Also, bucklers should have a special rule that says their effect is not doubled versus ranged attacks (giving the light shield some real advantage).

a buckler get a whopping +1 vs archery under my suggestion.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Come to Hackmaster Basic, where everything is awesome.

First, and to the point, shields give cover. I don't recall how much, but it's not something I looked at.

Also, to the point, shields don't suck... not taking a shield is a big decision, especially for front-liners. Sure, that greatsword gives you nice damage... but even a small shield gives you, effectively, 8 points of defense.

At standard, your defense bonus (you roll your defense) is based on your race (elves and halflings have a bonus), your dexterity, your wisdom, your shield and your armor (which is a penalty; both armor and shields are DR).

If you choose to forgo a shield, you take a flat -4 to your defense; however, on a successful defense roll, you take 0 damage. If you use a shield, you don't take that penalty, and get a bonus from the shield (+4 for a small shield). However, a successful defense means you take half damage (or one point plus strength damage in the case of piercing weapons)... but you also get to add your shields DR to that, so you will often take no damage.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I have a houserule that all shields except Bucklars give DR 3/melee.

This represents the character using their shield as best they can while still allowing room for "lucky damage" shots. As for shots in which the defender is unaware, that's what sneak attack and Order of the Bow type things are for.

Lets assume that their are exceptions to the DR/melee such as hurled giant boulders and whatnot. As determined by the DM... me.

25. - Top - End - #25

I like Mark Hall's idea because it involves trying Hackmaster, which is a wonderful thing everyone should do at least once in their life.

another thing is the ridiculus ammount of feats you need to do stuff a fighter (or anyone with proficiency) is expected to know, like how to do a shield-wall.
    I agree that this is stupid as well. The average character's going to get a total of about seven feats. It's ridiculous to expect martial characters who already somehow know how to use every martial and simple weapon under the sun as well as fight effectively in all types of armor to not understand and be able to instruct others on combat maneuvers like a shield wall. Moreover, asking two or more characters to take feats to do such a thing is way too much.

Granted, I think some of that stuff is meant for NPCs and is certainly handy when statting out an army and more interesting than just giving everyone improved toughness and weapon focus.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-05-11 at 01:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Are you thinking of concealment? Shields already operate like cover in D20/3e, that being what the AC modifier represents.

It always comes down to the same thing with this sort of stuff, which is to say if you improve the defensive efficacy of a shield then you generally need to improve the offensive efficacy of a two-handed weapon. Unfortunately, D20/3e is pretty borked on that score, and figuring out quite where the middle ground lies is quite subjective.

However, if you are interested in making your D20 combat more "realistic" or "authentic" then you could do a lot worse than taking a look at Galloglaich's Codex Martialis.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think the easiest way to handle it is through the fighting defensively and total defense actions.

The bonus to defense is from the hunkering down, and otherwise you are to focused on your own actions to keep your sheild precisely between you and the direction the arrows are coming from

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that aside/instead upgrading defensive capabilities of a shield, one should think about improving it's offensive potential.

It's not even about "realism" (not much possible in D&D) but (un)fortunately whole system encourages destroying stuff quickly instead of worrying about AC.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Following that logic armor should give even more cover, since it covers a larger % of the body.
    Um nah, it should give damage reduction, since it absorbs blows. But a blow that goes through a shield would more likely miss you anyway. So shields should give AC and armors DR :P

I would simply say, use dr as ac optional rule and increase the amount of ac shields give. (bucklers +1, small shields +2, large +4 and tower +7 for example)
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    I think that aside/instead upgrading defensive capabilities of a shield, one should think about improving it's offensive potential.

It's not even about "realism" (not much possible in D&D) but (un)fortunately whole system encourages destroying stuff quickly instead of worrying about AC.
    whats unfortunate about it? the best defense is a good offense. And you know what? that isn't just true its also fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Come to Hackmaster Basic, where everything is awesome.

First, and to the point, shields give cover. I don't recall how much, but it's not something I looked at.

Also, to the point, shields don't suck... not taking a shield is a big decision, especially for front-liners. Sure, that greatsword gives you nice damage... but even a small shield gives you, effectively, 8 points of defense.

At standard, your defense bonus (you roll your defense) is based on your race (elves and halflings have a bonus), your dexterity, your wisdom, your shield and your armor (which is a penalty; both armor and shields are DR).

If you choose to forgo a shield, you take a flat -4 to your defense; however, on a successful defense roll, you take 0 damage. If you use a shield, you don't take that penalty, and get a bonus from the shield (+4 for a small shield). However, a successful defense means you take half damage (or one point plus strength damage in the case of piercing weapons)... but you also get to add your shields DR to that, so you will often take no damage.
    Are you proposing this as a houserule, or are you saying that by RAW shields give cover?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-05-11 at 02:35 PM.