New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default TWF and arcane casting

Quick question, what is the penalty for arcane caster using two weapons? If someone was using two weapons then would they even be able to cast whle using them without using the still metamagic?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: TWF and arcane casting

Wiggling your fingers doesn't require hands to be empty, except for shields. Noone knows why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

You have to have a hand free to supply somatic components. If both your hands are holding weapons (or anything else), you can't supply somatic components and can only cast spells that either a) don't have any to start with or b) have been stilled.

(Here's a question for any ninjas that I couldn't find a clear answer for, though. How do material components and foci play in to it? Do you need one hand free to hold them and one to gesture with, or can a single hand take out the material components and supply the somatic components all at once?)

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wiggling your fingers doesn't require hands to be empty, except for shields. Noone knows why.
    That's exactly the opposite of my understanding - can you clarify your reasoning?
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2010-05-12 at 09:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

You must have a hand free to use somatic components. Using two weapons means you usually don't have a hand free. This is one of the few times when double weapons are worth it, because it's a free action to take one hand off while you're casting and put it back when you're done. There's also a feat (Somatic Weaponry, either CArc or CMag) which lets you make somatic components with weapons, but feats are expensive and I think there's a catch. I don't recall the exact text offhand.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    You must have a hand free to use somatic components. Using two weapons means you usually don't have a hand free. This is one of the few times when double weapons are worth it, because it's a free action to take one hand off while you're casting and put it back when you're done. There's also a feat (Somatic Weaponry, either CArc or CMag) which lets you make somatic components with weapons, but feats are expensive and I think there's a catch. I don't recall the exact text offhand.
    Complete Mage. You can't do it an grapple, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Expensive yes, but still rather cool, especially for a gish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    That's exactly the opposite of my understanding - can you clarify your reasoning?
    That would be because I completely forgot that you need at least one hand free. I thought that was only for material components.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ok, found the feat. Awesome. On a side note the PHB has shields with arcane spell faliure implying that your hand is sort of free, my question then becomes can you use two weapons and a shield (not a buckler)? To take it further with the somatic weaponary feat and something to reduce arcane spell faliure on the shield could you have 2 weapons, 1 shield and STILL cast arcane spells?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Orannis View Post
    Ok, found the feat. Awesome. On a side note the PHB has shields with arcane spell faliure implying that your hand is sort of free, my question then becomes can you use two weapons and a shield (not a buckler)? To take it further with the somatic weaponary feat and something to reduce arcane spell faliure on the shield could you have 2 weapons, 1 shield and STILL cast arcane spells?
    ... Sure, if you can find a way to wield 2 weapons, and a non-buckler shield. I think Thri-keen is the easiest way to have 4 arms, or persisted girralon arms.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Orannis View Post
    On a side note the PHB has shields with arcane spell faliure implying that your hand is sort of free...
    How does it do that? Having a shield in your left hand gives you arcane spell failure even if your right hand is completely free, just as wearing armor that puts nothing in your hands at all does the same. It doesn't suggest anything either way about whether your hands are free. (Since you can't wield a weapon if you have a light or heavy shield in hand, and can't even hold anything else in that hand at all with a heavy shield, I'd say in neither case should the hand count as free for casting.)

11. - Top - End - #11

This thread needs more Lightning Warrior.

What book is Somatic Weaponry from, again?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post

I did say earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    Complete Mage. You can't do it an grapple, though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post

Complete Mage. Quite useful, in the end. Too bad it falls on the wrong side of the "don't have enough feats for basics, no way I'm fitting that"-line.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

What you need is a chain running of the end of one of your weapons hilts and attached to your bracer.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

And how do you want to grasp something that is violently dangling from your wrist without using a second hand to stabilize it?
    It can be done, but I don't think as a free action.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Or: Be a warforged and use the Somatic Tentacle upgrade. Third hand for Somatic Components!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Gnomish quickrazor seems to recommend itself. You can draw and/or sheath it as a free action. Races of Stone, I believe. Cool little toy.

Although you have a free hand when wielding a light shield, the shield is too unwieldy for you to be able to attack with a weapon held in that hand. Heavy shields have a handgrip, so you don't have a free hand when wielding a heavy shield. If all sources are open to you, look into the dastana or kote. These are essentially armored bracers or shirtsleeves that function like shields, but leave your hands free. You'll find the dastana in the Arms and Equipment Guide, and the Kote in one of the Oriental Adventures books, I forget which. All 3.0 sources, unfortunately.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Since nobody answered...

Usually, the material component is flung/held up/displayed during the somantic gestures of casting a spell.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could be a daggerspell mage which cast spells from two daggers.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    You could be a daggerspell mage which cast spells from two daggers.
    Which is really awesome. Probably not optimized, but it sure is stylish.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay