Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Floating Worlds (Community World Building Project 3.5)

Yes, another Community Project. This time the concept is a campaign setting made of all-encompassing sea and some epically big ships.

The idea is that sometime far in the past, there was a great calamity which sunk the earth under the sea, but the great powers of the time had anticipated it, and readied the construction of gigantic worldships over a century. When the calamity struck, the sentient races lived on in the worldships.
    The worldships were very much an open project, and many creatures with the power made their own to ensure their continued survival. This resulted in a hundreds of worldships being created, of varying sizes and the largest worldships still construct smaller worldships sometimes.
    Races that didn't civilize up were all but destroyed in the calamity, since land dwellers that didn't get to a worldship were essentially doomed. This means that races like orcs and goblins are mostly wiped out, but some still exist if they have managed to become pirates or actually gain a worldship.
    The shipdwellers have taken to trading with the aquatic races for the resources they now have. Most worldships still hold large gardens and farms an such for self sufficiency. Many worldship are in disrepair due to lack of resources but there has been seen light at the end of the tunnel.
    Rumours have started to gather from travellers that land is coming back. Small islands have been spotted by travellers, likely the mountains of the past. Most are quite barred, but some have apparently been there for a while, since they have vegetation like that of land.

So here is the wall of text premise.
    I haven't thought much else up, but I thought it was a cool idea so I made it a community project if anyone's going to bite.

A Compilation of submitted material.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-06-17 at 10:18 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Floating Worlds (Community World Building Project 3.5)

How big are these worldships?

I'd been thinking along similar-ish lines recently, about a setting of flying islands in the sky (with no land below).
    I set my largest flying island at about the size of England - a few hundred miles long, and a couple of hundred wide.
    That lets people live and die without seeing the edge, and creates a reasonably normal existence for the "passengers".

Now, for floating ships in a vast world ocean, it'll depend if you want these ships to act like floating cities, or floating nations.
    Cities can be just a few thousand feet, with many decks. That lets you have slums, upper class districts, and all that.
    But nations need to be bigger - like miles on a side, with several different regional headquarters, or towns.

In any case, have a look at this supplement from WotC's archive. It deals with districts in urban centres.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, I was thinking that the sizes wary quite a lot. The smaller ones can only hold a small town's worth of people, but the largest ones can be real megapolises.
    Though one thing to remember here is that space is valuable. Everything would meld into one big town pretty quickly anyway.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just to get the ball rolling.
    Jagatha
    Jagatha is one of the great worldships travelling the seas. This particular one was made by humans of the now lost land and is one of the greatest worldships on the sea. This worldship holds around 100000 people, though it was not originally meant for such large amounts of people. This has led to slow building of "rafts" on the side of the ship. These rafts are not a very wanted living area, since they are vulnerable to the sea.
    Jagatha is a large ship, but has much more surface area on the deck than height for the ship on a normal ship. This is due to the fact that the builders made it to be able to grow plants on the deck. The design doesn't look too good for a ship but the Jagatha is simply too massive to be harmed by conditions of the sea. In addition, many layers are quite tall.
    The Deck
    The deck of the Jagatha is mostly reserved for gardens, trees, farms and such. On the deck is also the government building of Jagatha, a large superstructure which also contains the steering facilities for the ship, in the rare occasions that they are needed. The deck has very little people living in it, however. The only people to be able to live are the wealthiest of nobles and some druids.
    First Layer
    The first belowdeck layer is the most wanted living space after the deck. Most nobles of the city live here and it is the cultural center of Jagatha. Other people to live here are people who have a reason to work near or with the nobles. In addition, the mages of Jagatha keep a base here, in addition to the many theaters, the great library of the ship which is partially in the same building as the mages guild.
    Second Layer
    The second layer is the shopping district of Jagatha. It has a large market and almost all tradeable goods in Jagathe go through this district. On the center is a massive market, and a lot of people live here too, many owning a shop here as well.
    3rd-6th Layers
    These are mostly the industry layers, and most of the common people live here, The upper layers are naturally more desired than the lower ones, due to better access to facilities. The 3rd and 4th layers mostly refine things while the 5th and 6th layers are the actual industry.
    Seventh Layer
    The docks. Many people live here, and fishing is done a lot from here. What ships exist on the Jagatha are made here. Some fish markets exist here, but most of it is simply taken to the second layer for selling.
    Eight Layer
    The Eight layer is the only layer to be below sea level, though some parts of the seventh are this too. It is rather disconnected from the other parts and while some dock workers live here, the layer as a whole is rather shady and a slum. Many criminal activities take place here.
    The Rafts
    Mostly accessible from the seventh layer, the rafts were born from a need for more living space. Unlike the rest of the ship, they are rather vulnerable to the sea and it is not a very nice place to live. However, the best fish often comes from the rafts.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The idea is starting to remind me of Cloral from the Pendragon series. The worldships would surely have anchors? It might be preferable to remain in one place in some cases, where like in Cloral they could have developed flora that produced fruit that could be grown underwater.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Good idea, they most definitely would have anchors. Maybe they grow stuff from the bottoms of their ship too?
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

You'll probably want to add some zoning based on distance from the hull - the further into the middle of the ship you go, the less sunlight and fresh air you get.
    This means that as well as being zones in decks, the price of housing goes down as you move toward the middle.

Here's a link to the deck plans of a big cruise ship to show what I mean.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's a good point.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's certainly very cool!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Maybe they could grow corals and use it as materials for houses and stuff, depending on the type of coral used? (Since metal would be very scarce.)
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

11. - Top - End - #11

You might take a look at the Community World Building Project for Ishka, I forget which page it's on but we've had a lengthy discussion about population density.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Ultimate worldship idea.

Put ALL of Ishka onto a single Worldship.

Go Tigers!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

That would be one epic worldship.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    Ultimate worldship idea.

Put ALL of Ishka onto a single Worldship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon
    That would be one epic worldship.
    LOL yes that would indeed be Epic. Ishka is larger than West Virginia as far as land size, with nearly 1Billion in population.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yup, I know. I'm actually one of the players in the Ishka game in the boards.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't have much to say at the moment, but you might try taking a look at the old Landfall CWBP. Also, The Land where Titans Walk was similar in having everyone live on moving masses (though in their case it was ancient war machines rather than giant ships).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Land Where the Titans Walk was actually inspiration for this. The landfall setting looks pretty similar to this one on first glance, but ah well. This has some original ideas after all.

Harnessing the Sea
    Having been forced to live on the worldships, perpetually seaborne, people grew inventive. Corals were refined into new uses. Seaborne plants were discovered. Often, worldships' inhabitants started to grow corals and sea-plants from the bottom of their ships and periodically harvest them.
    All this has helped the ship-dwellers overcome their resource plight and in essence, they simply use everything they can muster.
    Steelseed Coral
    This is another style of refined Coral, having been engineered and grown to function in the place of metal. It's the primary material for weapons on worldships, and underwater beings use Steelseed coral as well. It behaves much like metal, but still has many different qualities in it's capability to take blows and such.
    Steelseed Weapons

Substance Hardness: 8
    HP/Inch of Thickness: 60

Just the first.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-05-15 at 03:05 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

What happens when Doctors come along and start putting glasses of water on the deck?

I keed, I keed.

One thing that would almost definitely show up in this world would be a larger-than-usual community of trader/nomads for inter-worldship trade. This would also serve as good fodder for story hooks (pirates. 'Nuff said).

Of course, those folks would probably be split between those who resent the aquatic races and those who see partnership with the gillies as the only way of surviving. A good few pirate factions could probably be CE/NE traders who take their resentment to the point of physical violence-- but are usually friendly toward landlubbers.

My point is, in a world of worldships, the adventurers will likely take to smaller vessels most of the time.

Just throwing stuff out there.

EDIT: I just realized how very relative a term "landlubber" is above. Thought I'd share.
    Last edited by Jack of Spades; 2010-05-16 at 08:24 AM.
    Remember, Towel Day is May 25th!
    "X is a trope" is not a valid argument, nor is it evidence.

Disclaimer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the above post was written any time between 4AM and noon Mountain Time (10:00-20:00 GMT), it was probably written while I ought to have been sleeping. So, sorry. Unless an apology isn't necessary and whatever I wrote was awesome. In that case, you're welcome.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... flying monsters might be common in this world, no?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Hmm... flying monsters might be common in this world, no?
    Well here's the thing with most things that fly, they have to land.........and how many Worldships would willingly let a "monster" land on their decks?

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

A good point.
    Dragons? Swimming ones?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

In addition to the coral that replaces iron, I doubt the usual forms of leather or wood are around either. It is unlikely that these ships will use up valuable space for cows and trees when they could be used for small edible plants and humans.
    I'm not sure what would replace wood, but land leather could probably be replaced by the skin of sea creatures.

Go Tigers!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    A good point.
    Dragons? Swimming ones?
    Black dragons already swim...

But I think it would be a good idea to invent new dragons that are specifically of the sea.
    We'll need a fast swim speed and fly speed, a breath weapon that is effective under and over the water (or one of each)...

Special and spell-like abilities ought to be things like Fog Cloud, Water breathing, Gust of Wind, Control Weather, Control Water...

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    ... It is unlikely that these ships will use up valuable space for cows and trees when they could be used for small edible plants and humans....
    Small edible humans?
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2010-05-16 at 02:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    Small edible humans?
    And with a throwaway joke, Altair creates a new, dystopian campaign setting ruled by carnivorous creatures who farm humans...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Floating Worlds (Community World Building Project 3.5)

This is epic. Once this has some more materiel I'm going to covert it to 4e.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I might suggest something along a the lines of less magical (and hostile) naturally occurring floating groves like those from the Landfall. This would also allow for some flying monsters though not many. Likely they would be treated as a mixed blessing. Flying monsters means there is a grove nearby meaning wood, but it also means being attacked by flying monsters. It could be a somewhat simple adventure to have the PC's sent out to protects some people while they gather wood, or protect the ship while they are waiting for people to get back with wood.
    Also might have some reason the ships can't just take the groves with them.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe the plants need magic to live, an are on leylines.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Or, perhaps they are actually rooted into the sea floor. They wouldn't be "floating groves" but trees growing up and then out of the water in certain areas would do about the same I would imagine. It would also make it easier for a ship to avoid flying animals if they wanted, since they probably know all the groves around their usual haunts.

Go Tigers!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

giant seaweed that grows together from the sea floor to the surface. making large marshy like areas. special water type plants or trees could grow on them as well or i could just be larger extensions of the seaweed growing above the sea. this would make a good place to rest for air monsters and probably a one of the few places that a world ship could some what resupply a bit without relying on an aquatic races. They would also make good hunting grounds for pouchers and people looking for rare skins and foods defiantly only things nobles could afford but might make for some nice quests and trips off the boats besides the true islands in the world

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh. I was wondering what kind of quests you could do here, but maybe the 'calamity' was something like the Savage races messiah equivalent coming, uniting the tribes and driving the civilised races to the ocean?