New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Race for a Living Suit of X and related Warforged Questions

Pretty quick request.

A suit of clothes/armor/robes/whatever comes to life and wants to take class levels.

Is there a race that covers this sort of thing? I was thinking this could be simply answered with Warforged with some specific feats (the specific bodies), but if there's a cooler way to do it let me know.

Warforged gives the Living Construct subtype which is very much the goal I'm shooting for here, but I just wanted to see if there were more creative ways to accomplish the same goal.

Somewhat related though are some Warforged questions. Although you're supposedly a "living" construct, what falls under your abilities as one? Can you (with some preparation) extensively overhaul your own body? Amputate a limb to escape a fallen pillar without additional harm (beyond the missing limb, obviously)? After all, you've already taken the damage from getting hit by it.

Does immunity to fatigue and exhaustion imply the ability to run forever?

Are Warforged immune to massive damage?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Race for a Living Suit of X and related Warforged Questions

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Somewhat related though are some Warforged questions. Although you're supposedly a "living" construct, what falls under your abilities as one? Can you (with some preparation) extensively overhaul your own body? Amputate a limb to escape a fallen pillar without additional harm (beyond the missing limb, obviously)? After all, you've already taken the damage from getting hit by it.

Does immunity to fatigue and exhaustion imply the ability to run forever?

Are Warforged immune to massive damage?
    Warforged are capable of modifying their bodies, not sure exactly how extensively, but they can do things like remodel their faces and stuff. I do know that pain is limited to actually being damaged, which is part of how they can do so. How well an amputation-type deal would work is iffy, since they are still living, with goop flowing around keeping their wooden bits alive.

They should indeed be able to run forever, and unless the living construct subtype says otherwise, would be immune to massive damage by virtue of being a construct.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2010-05-12 at 09:29 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    unless the living construct subtype says otherwise, would be immune to massive damage by virtue of being a construct.
    Living Constructs are subject to crits, effects that target Fort, massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage/drain, and death effects like other living creatures. They also lose the standard Construct's immunity to mind-affecting.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

But there's a PrC that makes a Warforged more construct-y and less living.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Raggamoffyn is a monster made of living clothes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it's weird.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Raggamoffyn is a monster made of living clothes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it's weird.
    Rats. Someone beat me to it. It's in the MM2. Even if it's not conrtolling the host, a wrapped creature gains the benefit of having damage split between it and the rags. However, they can attack the Raggamoffyn to hit you and it looks as though you're both still considered in a grapple which tends to be bad news.

If it succeeds at dominating the host, the host gains the 'Captured One' template from the appendix of the same book. The system/creature might be adapted to the OP's purposes.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Dread Guard, also in MM2, is a sentient, animated suit of armor, but not really well suited for taking class levels, or use as a PC.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Warforged don't bleed, if you wish to extrapolate from the information on 0 hit points and below given....

—A warforged responds slightly differently from
    other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points.
    A warforged with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a
    living creature. He can only take a single move action
    or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity
    does not risk further injury. When his hit points
    are less than 0 and greater than –10, a warforged is
    inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot
    perform any actions. However, an inert warforged
    does not lose additional hit points unless more
    damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that
    is stable.
    I'd take this as no bleeding for Living Constructs since they're given automatic stabilization, but it's not really spelled out as such anywhere. Note that all warforged also have Light Fortification as well, so even though they're not immune to critical hit effects, they're 25% likely to avoid them.

Now that I think about it, it means that since 3.0 (maybe 2nd Ed, didn't look) the Sword of Wounding will affect them, since it now does Con damage instead of causing a bleed effect.

Just my 2 copper pieces....
    Last edited by WorstDMEver; 2010-05-14 at 01:31 AM.