New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar

So I want to get an imp as an improved familiar, but the build I have in mind doesn't have the requisite Arcane Spellcaster level 7.

Practiced Spellcaster (CD82) says, "Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by +4).

I know that this feat has its limitations (doesn't affect spells known, for instance), but the wording implies that if my character was, say, a Wiz 3 / Rogue 4 with Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar, I would be able to have a little demon buddy.

Does anyone know if this is actually the case?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar

By RAW, it affects everything BUT spells known/spells per day, so I'd say go for it; when in doubt ask your DM. My DM said it counted for item creation feats as well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, and what about classes like the hexblade and paladin, who gain the ability to cast spells later on in their career? That is, at level 4 (when both of these classes gain the ability to cast spells) do they technically have a spellcaster level of 1 or 4?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuesdayscoming View Post
    Oh, and what about classes like the hexblade and paladin, who gain the ability to cast spells later on in their career? That is, at level 4 (when both of these classes gain the ability to cast spells) do they technically have a spellcaster level of 1 or 4?
    They don't have a caster level before they gain their spellcasting ability.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Arcane spellcaster lv refers to the actual number of lvs in that spellcasting class you have. This is not affected by practiced spellcaster.

Caster lv is well, simply your caster lv.

For example, a paladin4 would have spellcaster lv4, but a caster lv of only 2.

So practiced spellcaster would not affect when you qualify for an improved familiar.