New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default This isn't your Dad's Childhood! This is Let's Play: Pokemon: Shiny Gold: Hard Mode!

Hello folks! I'm Raistlin, and I'm going to be running a Pokemon Shiny Gold Let's Play for you all. WITH A TWIST!

We're playing Hardball here, Ladies and Gents, and that means HARD MODE. Rules for Hard Mode are in the spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -If a Pokemon in your party faints, you must release it.
    -Every time you reach a new route, cave, etc., you must catch the very first Pokemon you see, regardless of your current number of party members. The Pokemon may sit within the box for an indeterminate amount of time as a backup.
    -If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you see, either via it fleeing, knocking it out, or having no Pokeballs, you may not catch another. Tough ****.
    -This means you can not catch a pokemon in a route you were in before you could catch pokemon. So no route 1, you were there before you had pokeballs.
    -If a town you go to contains a body of water or a gift Pokemon like Bill's Eevee in G/S/C/HG/SS, that may be considered a Pokemon of a new area.
    -You must nickname your pokemon so there is some sort of attachment. Each pokemon is a best friend to you, to see them die is heartbreaking.
    -If your entire party faints, they all must be thrown away. If you have a pokemon left in a box somewhere, you may continue, otherwise you must start your game over.
    -You are, under no circumstance, allowed to get a second pokemon from any given area.
    -You are, under no circumstance, allowed to use items outside of battle. If you were poisoned on your last turn of the battle, you better hope to god theres a pokemon center nearby.
    -You may not switch out before the enemy trainer sends in a new Pokemon.
    -You are not allowed to use legendaries in battle, which means Legendaries are to be defeated in battle and not caught.
    -All party Pokemon should be around the same level.

I will be playing with one change to Hard Mode Rules. The Starter is excepted from the Fainting=Death rule, to a point. THis one will be running at the power of the Plot.

So, first off, for those of you who don't know, Shiny Gold is a hack of FireRed that is basically HeartGold/SoulSilver in Generation III. Because it is a hack (and an incomplete one at that), I hope you can all bear with me with regards to playing it.

Second, I'm going to need names. For me, with gender, and for my rival, and my starter. Also vote on a starter. Chikorita, Totodile, and Cyndaquil, obviously, are the choices.

I hope you'll enjoy this Let's Play. Without further ado, let's take some suggestions so we can get this game underway!

Cast of Characters
    Spoiler
    Show
    Main Characters
    Janick
    Janick is the main character. He's a 21 year old conman who came to Johto with nothing but a desire to make some cash. He cares very little for other people and Pokemon, and isn't above stealing and fighting to get what he wants.

Adrian
    Adrian is Janick's rival. He idolizes Professor Elm and cares deeply for Pokemon. His best friend is his Chikorita Bayleef. His goal is to be the greatest trainer in the world.

April
    A Team Rocket Grunt that Janick has a crush on. She gave him her number when he won his battle against her.

Ripper
    Ripper is Janick's Totodile Croconaw. He's a tough fighter who doesn't stay down, but the sad look in his eye everytime Janick insults him shows that he's not as hard-hearted as he would hope.

Sir Misery
    Janick's Gastly Haunter. Sir Misery is a powerful sorcerer from a distant time. He loved a woman named Lady Rougela who was turned against him by a rival sorcerer in a mask. Sir Misery fought the Lady, but the end result of the battle was that each of them was transformed into a Pokemon.

Stoney
    Janick's Geodude Graveler. He's a dependable Pokemon who protects the weaker members of Janick's team. However, he's a bit of a rock, so to speak.

Murderface
    Janick's Ratatta Raticate. Murderface is a bloodthirsty monster warrior who fights without care for himself. Though he's the toughest attacker on Janick's team, he's a bit of a loose cannon. He once attacked Adrian when the trainer tried to stop a fight.

Poseidon
    Janick's Magikarp Gyrados. Karp. Karp. Also GYRADOOOOOOOOS!

Algernon
    Janick's Pikachu. He found it underneath his house, discarded by some other trainer. It was killed by poison.

Caspian
    Janick's Eevee Espeon. It was a gift from Bill, and it evolved itself by stealing Janick's Sun Stone.

Secondary Characters
    Elm and Oak
    Two bumbling old professors who Janick dislikes very much.

Mom
    A conwoman friend of Janick's who agreed to help him run his Pokemon League scam for 5% of his profits.

Bug
    Janick's Ledyba. He perished from poisoning.

Bela
    Janick's Zubat. Killed by a Zubat.

Hawkman
    Janick's Pidgey. Killed by a Rattata.

Ivy
    Janick's Bellsprout. Killed by a Goldeen

Ivy2
    Janick's Roselia

Invincible
    Janick's Slowpoke

Billy Idol
    Janick's Butterfree

De Sade
    Janick's Ditto

Spearow
    A Spearow Janick received from a sleepy guy.

Atropos
    Janick's Koffing

Titania
    Janick's Drowzee

Hootie
    Janick's Hoothoot

Mercutio
    Janick's Growlithe

Aragog
    Janick's Spinarak

Jellyjig
    Janick's Tentacool

Gates
    Janick's Magnemite

Shredder
    Janick's Pinsir
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2010-08-05 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: This isn't your Dad's Childhood! This is Let's Play: Pokemon: Shiny Gold: Hard Mo

Get a cynaquil and name it tapatillo.
    I killed the thread killing thread,so yeah
    I cannot be held legally responsible for injuries gained by being overcome by my epicness.
    Awesome avvie by Serpentine!
    Spoiler
    Show

my hero
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-the belkster

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: This isn't your Dad's Childhood! This is Let's Play: Pokemon: Shiny Gold: Hard Mo

For those wondering, the Hard Mode, also known as the Nuzlocke Challenge, comes from here. The original rules were simply to catch the first Pokemon of each route, and to release fainted Pokemon, but people have made up their own variations (as they should).

Anyway, pick Chikorita and name it 'Duuuuuuude'. He shall be a hippie.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pick a Chikorita and name it Ringo. Do you need a reason? Not really.

As for you, be a female named Painkiller, who is a stereotypical metalhead. Your rival will be named RobotUnicorn, or whatever contraction of that can fit in the name field. [/random]

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Here's a question: How is beating hard mode any different than the typical "Use your starter. He'll be 10 levels above everything and able to OHKO the gym leaders pokemon before they can act" method that makes beating pokemon a breeze?

In seriousness, though, the hardest challenge in pokemon is the "keep a balanced party of many types within two levels of each other" challenge.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-05-13 at 09:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The last three games I've played (SoulSilver, Pearl, and Sapphire) have all been "keep a balanced party". Actually, in my SoulSilver, my Meganium is about 6 levels below the rest of my team. The thing about Hard Mode that makes it difficult is that you're forced to use Pokemon that aren't optimum, and a lucky crit, or a type disadvantage can ruin you. It's also about being more cautious. In SS, Morty's Gengar took out my whole team before my Magmar was able to bring him down. In Hard Mode, I now have 1 usable Pokemon.
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

7. - Top - End - #7

I believe you forgot to put in the rule that says that the party must all be around the same level.

Which, can still be remedied by power leveling like crazy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Added .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    The last three games I've played (SoulSilver, Pearl, and Sapphire) have all been "keep a balanced party". Actually, in my SoulSilver, my Meganium is about 6 levels below the rest of my team. The thing about Hard Mode that makes it difficult is that you're forced to use Pokemon that aren't optimum, and a lucky crit, or a type disadvantage can ruin you. It's also about being more cautious. In SS, Morty's Gengar took out my whole team before my Magmar was able to bring him down. In Hard Mode, I now have 1 usable Pokemon.
    You have to have the even level rule (which you just added) or else it's basically "God and a few worshippers who don't do much" for your party; your starter is invincible, the rest is the highest leveled stuff you find in the wild.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooh, can I have the first inevitable Poocheyna named after me?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I've never overleveled that much in the first place, even when I first started with Blue. Yeah, my Charizard was still a monster tank, but I had at least three other used Pokemon, a Gyrados, a Vileplume, and a Poliwrath that were decently leveled. Sure, you can overlevel LIKE A BOSS, but I've never been able to sweep the Elite 4, for example, with anything short of an 80something Rayquaza or an 80something Mewtwo. Even my 87 Blaziken in my old Pearl needed some support, and fainted a time or two.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    I've never overleveled that much in the first place, even when I first started with Blue. Yeah, my Charizard was still a monster tank, but I had at least three other used Pokemon, a Gyrados, a Vileplume, and a Poliwrath that were decently leveled. Sure, you can overlevel LIKE A BOSS, but I've never been able to sweep the Elite 4, for example, with anything short of an 80something Rayquaza or an 80something Mewtwo. Even my 87 Blaziken in my old Pearl needed some support, and fainted a time or two.
    Without overlevelling (beyond simply catching pokemon and fighting everybody) I was able to solo the original games with every starter, except yellow with pikachu and that's because pikachu, excluding light ball/volt tackle shenanigans, is retardedly weak and could lose to an elite four level 60-something (IIRC) ice/water team with a 15 level and type advantage on them. I may have had to use other pokemon for the elite four, but generally they were just tanks to use a revive, although on hard mode that wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-05-13 at 10:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to start playing this either tonight or tomorrow, so if anyone has suggestions for anything before I begin, speak up now or I'll be playing with a Chikorita.

Please god no!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Totodile. I like crocodiles.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

15. - Top - End - #15

Play a cyndaquil and come up with a bunch of fire related jokes.
    Also known as Jarbis

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

Cyndaquil, because anyone who doesn't choose the fire starter is a SPY!
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Votes(I has counted!)
    Cyntaquil:2
    Chikorita:2
    Totodile:1haha wat now totodile!
    I killed the thread killing thread,so yeah
    I cannot be held legally responsible for injuries gained by being overcome by my epicness.
    Awesome avvie by Serpentine!
    Spoiler
    Show

my hero
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-the belkster

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishDragon View Post
    Votes(I has counted!)
    Cyntaquil:2
    Chikorita:2
    Totodile:1haha wat now totodile!
    In pure interest of a tie: Totodile.

19. - Top - End - #19

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

I always use Totodile. But apparently the People of the Net beleive for some reason that Cyndaquil's evolutionary chain is somehow cooler. Lies.

Totodile. Name him Fangful.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    I always use Totodile. But apparently the People of the Net beleive for some reason that Cyndaquil's evolutionary chain is somehow cooler. Lies.

Totodile. Name him FangfulSlaughterDeathKill.
    Fixed the name for you, based on what will happen when you use him.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #21

Cyndaquil. Name it Explotaro. You are now obligated to act as hot-blooded as possible while flirting with every female trainer you come across.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-05-14 at 04:26 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I have another challenge idea, so to say. You may not use wild pokemon to get xp. All xp must be from the trainer fights. No rematches with the same trainer too, while we're at it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Not 100% sure, but I think that would be near impossible.

24. - Top - End - #24

That'd be especially excruciating in the early game.

At least 2nd generation had by far the lowest relative levels for trainers and gym leaders. Did they keep that consistant with this hack?

And when you say "incomplete", what do you mean by that? Do you mean some areas haven't been implemented, that the game cannot be finished as is, or just that some parts may be buggy?
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I think its actually not second gen done in third, but fourth gen done in third. I am not sure, but that is the idea I got from the OP.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Totodile. Name him "The Maw of Azathoth."
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by legoshrimp View Post
    I think its actually not second gen done in third, but fourth gen done in third. I am not sure, but that is the idea I got from the OP.
    The 4th gen games you're thinking of (HeartGold and SoulSilver) were in turn remakes of the 2nd gen games.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but levels of trainer pokemon, I think are one of the things they changed.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by legoshrimp View Post
    Yes, but levels of trainer pokemon, I think are one of the things they changed.
    Some (not all) of the gym leaders got 1 more level on their Pokemon, which still isn't really enough to make a big difference. Clair will still be capped at level 41 when Volkner and Giovanni were packing level 49 and 50 stuff respectively. Pryce and Falkner are the only gym leaders to get a significant boost in level, while Morty and Jasmine remain unchanged. And Whitney's team actually went down in level.

Normal trainers' Pokemon levels haven't really changed much, if at all.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-05-14 at 01:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, thank you for correcting me I never played the original gold/silver, so that is where my lack of knowledge comes from

Edit: So I say not totodile, because I chose him because imo he was the cutest of the starters, and the evolved forms let me down I'll go with Cyndaquil, I'm really bad at naming things >.> (not as in the names I come up with are bad, just that I take a while/can't think of anything)
    Last edited by Legoshrimp; 2010-05-14 at 01:53 AM.