Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Archery Resource Thread [3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I can only plead lack of sleep to explain why I missed both this and the fact that ULTIMATE ARCHER DOES currently require 3 feats, not 2.
    So what's my excuse?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

You were too busy being awesome?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #33

I'll take that!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Just a quick thought:

Sniper's Patience
    You can see the path of the arrow in your mind before it ever leaves the string. If it is not acceptable, you simply do not fire.
    Prerequisites: Far Shot (PH), +7 base attack bonus
    Benefit: Once per round if one of your ranged attack rolls would miss by 3 or more you do not actually fire that specific shot (including all arrows of a Many-Shot). This still takes the same amount of time/actions as actually firing, but conserves ammunition (and spells such as True Strike since the attack is never actually made), prevents the need for repeated hide checks, and overall preserves the element of surprise.

Like a lot of my stuff, this is really niche, but at the very least it helps save on expensive arrows, and with an ACTUAL sniper/assassin build it could be invaluable. If it is too powerful, we can throw on Precise Shot, and/or Improved Precise Shot as pre-requisites, or drop the bit about conserving True Strike.

In Jan 2013, I had the following conversation about this feat:
    Spoiler
    Show
    20:13 <DracoDei >Very niche, but also very strong.
    20:14 <DanielDraco >Yeah, incredibly niche. I see the utility in it...hrm, I wonder if there might be a way to make it an eensy bit more useful. Because it doesn't actually make you any more powerful. It just makes you less likely to get unlucky.
    20:15 <DracoDei >If you are really sniping, it means you have a 15% chance of ever missing.
    20:15 <DracoDei >If your target is somewhat stationary.
    20:16 <DracoDei >It just takes longer to line up the shot sometimes.
    20:17 <DanielDraco >Yeah, it's basically like a +7 bonus on your first attack in a surprise round. Which is...eh, really cool to have but will not actually do you very much.
    20:17 <HockeyCid >If I am gonna be investing a feat in it, I feel like you could make it any miss at all
    20:17 <HockeyCid >Especially given that there are all sorts of other ways for your shot to be messed up, thus totally ruining your whole plan
    20:17 <DracoDei >Such as?
    20:18 <DanielDraco >Being spotted.
    20:18 <HockeyCid >That's probably venturing into Very High-level material, but Protection From Arrows for one
    20:18 <HockeyCid >That
    20:18 <HockeyCid >Deflect Arrows or any equivalent
    20:18 <DracoDei >Miss chances?
    20:18 <HockeyCid >and even monks have that
    20:18 <HockeyCid >Yes, blink/blur/displacement, etc.
    20:19 <DracoDei >Protection from Arrows is bypassed by magical weapons.
    20:19 <DracoDei >And thus DOESN'T apply at high-level.
    20:19 <HockeyCid >Alright, so you got by one
    20:19 <DanielDraco >I would add onto it a damage bonus versus flat-footed foes. The problem with it now is that it near-guarantees your first attack...but that is ONE attack. One attack is /nothing/, in the grand scheme of things.
    20:19 <DracoDei >Miss chances... yeah.
    20:20 <DracoDei >DanielDraco: Depends. There are a lot of things designed to make that count, especially in homebrew.
    20:20 <HockeyCid >I'm just saying that there are other factors in play other than your attack roll, so giving yourself away because you fired and then, for whatever other reason unrelated to your attack roll, missed
    20:20 <DracoDei >I could link you to a discipline on the subject.
    20:20 <HockeyCid >Or the Tome Assassin
    20:20 <HockeyCid >An extreme example, but hey
    20:20 <DanielDraco >I can't think of terribly many. Death attacks and true strikes are all I've seen.
    20:20 <DracoDei >Haven't read that.
    20:21 <DanielDraco >But if you say they exist, then I'll relent to that.
    20:21 <DanielDraco >So yeah, if there's enough stuff out there to make the first attack actually matter, then this is a solid feat.
    20:21 <HockeyCid >Diamond Mind strikes come to mind
    20:22 <DanielDraco >Ranged attacks, cid
    20:22 <HockeyCid >Ah, right
    20:22 <HockeyCid >derp
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-01-06 at 08:26 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #35

Yay, saved! ^_^

I like it. It's nice.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I really like that! It's so logical. XD
    I now want to play a Vulcan sniper...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm reposting this stuff I made here.

True Shot
    As you shoot your arrows go past the winds and find the spot to hit regardless of circumstances.
    Prequisites: Precise Shot +3 BaB
    Benefit: Your ranged projectiles halve weather penalties and magical AC bonuses that only apply against projectiles. It also goes halves effects such as Wind Wall only inducing a 50% miss chance.

Defensive Shot
    Even as the fighters are upon you, you find the moments to fire and reload you projectile weapons.
    Prequisites: Point Blank Shot BaB +8
    Benefit: You no longer take Attacks of Opportunity for shooting, reloading or drawing ammunition when threatened.

Mobile Shooter
    Mobility and shooting your bow walk side by side with you. You can shoot while running and release a torrent of arrows mid-trip.
    Prequisites: Shot on the run
    Benefit: You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon after a move action. You may also make a standard attack with a ranged weapon after a double move action.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-06-07 at 09:22 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

New Cross-bow centered discipline (also good for bows and thrown weapons, may or may not be redundant with the other disciplines here).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shadow bow is way way way to expensive there is a magic item in Magic item compendium that dose the same job better (can go in AMF) for 1000Gp if I remember the cost right. Plus if I remember right that item lets you have an unlimited supply of magic arrows for 1000 go + the cost of a magic weapon (not ammo) with the same properties (but the second bit could just be me remembering my musings on how to abuse that item with sketchy rules interpretations (the first bit is totally legit though.))

Thomar_of_Uointer's variant rule nicely nerfs the +19 arrow cheese trick (+5 bow with +5 total properties firing +1 arrows wit +9 in properties) but replaces it with something arguably worse but then again it may be more reasonable that way eh you win somr you lose some.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

I humbly present some of my own creations:

The Crossbow Slinger

Staff Slings and Supplements

Enjoy! =D

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiZme.2 View Post
    Thomar_of_Uointer's variant rule nicely nerfs the +19 arrow cheese trick (+5 bow with +5 total properties firing +1 arrows wit +9 in properties) but replaces it with something arguably worse but then again it may be more reasonable that way eh you win some you lose some.
    That's not exactly cheesy, considering arrows tend to get expensive if you're enhancing them before you use 'em. +10 arrows are 4k a piece, a volley of them (5 if Rapid Shotting, more if you throw in things like Haste and Time Stands Still) costs you 20k+ per round, which is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, I see no reason why archers shouldn't have something nice, considering archery damage output tends to look paltry compared to melee.

Also, I remembered another full archer class that deserves mentioning by Kellus: The Sagittarius.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2010-06-10 at 01:00 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Because of their long life span...Witches revere the natural order above all else, and abhor any unnatural practices, such as necromancy or undue prejudice. They will fight vehemently to protect the natural world, holding the world at a higher level than any number of lives...Witches tend to avoid meaningful relationships or marriage, due to their long lifespan...Timeless Body (Ex): A witch’s lifespan is very long, and they do not age. At level 3, the witch no longer visibly ages, and takes no penalties from aging. In addition, the witch’s maximum lifespan is doubled
    Does anyone else note the irony of these witches supposedly revering natural order, while enjoying unnaturally lengthened lifespans, in defiance of what nature intended for their individual species/race?

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by WhiteHarness; 2010-06-10 at 03:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Made the Sublime Archer a while ago. Just to get the ball rolling again.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Here are two melee archery feats. They're also in my signature.
    Base Class Contest XXXXVII - Time is on Our Side (Yes it is)
    Chat Thread
    Contest Closes May 24th

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

There are also the Archer and the Sniper base classes. I've been thinking I might combine them into my own Homebrew, but that might be a bit awkward to post (even giving credit where it's due).
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

15. - Top - End - #45

Well, I've updated it. How about some judgements? For some context, here's a character I'm playing (note: people in VT's game shouldn't look at that). I don't know where to go with it. Any thoughts?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHarness View Post
    Does anyone else note the irony of these witches supposedly revering natural order, while enjoying unnaturally lengthened lifespans, in defiance of what nature intended for their individual species/race?

Just sayin'...
    Well, it's not my concept. They're based off of the witches in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I agree though, it is a bit contradictory, although in the novels the witches are an entirely separate race and do not gain their extended life span by choice or magic. That wouldn't make much sense with a PrC, though.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2010-07-24 at 01:59 AM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

You should also see Dreamscarred Press' Marksman base class. It's very cool!