New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Bard Synergy?

So the subject of multiple bards came up in conversation this Friday. Last I checked, core Bardsongs don't stack with themselves (by which I mean Inspire Competence + Inspire Competence does nothing).

But I'm quite sure there are ways for an army of bards to not step on each other's toes, even at low level. And I don't mean by ignoring Bardsong completely (which negates the point of being a bard), but by subtly altering it through ACFs or whathaveyou to stack effects. An example I can think of Dragonfire Inspiration, which replaces Inspire Courage (and therefore stacks with it)

That's the only example I could come up with, though. What others exist, with the caveat that they must not be completely pointless (by which I mean not worth taking in the event you might have to naturally Bardsong yourself)?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Bard Synergy?

If you had multiple bards with Dragonfire Inspiration and Draconic Heritage linked to dragons of different flavors, you could have 5 elemental DFIs running concurrently with a standard IC.

An army wouldn't do you much good, but six badass bards of selective birth could stack up to devistating results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had a sudden image of Power Rangers there.

And that is a LOT of d6 pumps. Thanks for pointing out Dragonfire Inspiration can stack with different element types. You'll have to get those different Draconic Heritages, but this turns even Commoners into legitimate threats.

Although housecats would still be better here, given their higher to-hit.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Although housecats would still be better here, given their higher to-hit.
    And greater number of attacks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    And greater number of attacks.
    and these ease of throwing them like projectiles
    Check out my horrible homebrews

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you can stand the cheese factor, a Bard can get into the Anima mage PrC without needing a level of Binder (due to the PrC's loose wording, the Bind Vestige feat alone is enough to qualify, and then give full fledged soul binding for 10 levels, as well as full arcane casting progression).

If you don't like cheese, then the same can be achieved with but one level of binder.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    If you can stand the cheese factor, a Bard can get into the Anima mage PrC without need a level of Binder (due to the PrC's loose wording, the Bind Vestige feat alone is enough to qualify, and then give full fledged soul binding for 10 levels, as well as full arcane casting progression).

If you don't like cheese, then the same can be achieved with but one level of binder.
    Why even bother with Bard though? Binders can be a better party face just on their own, and you lose the skills and song advancement by going Anima Mage. If it's spells + binding you want, sorcerer is a much better route.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Why even bother with Bard though? Binders can be a better party face just on their own, and you lose the skills and song advancement by going Anima Mage. If it's spells + binding you want, sorcerer is a much better route.
    Yes, indeed. However, I thought this thread was about Bards?