New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default The Adventures of Knight and Rogue

My friend and I started The World's Largest Dungeon with 2 characters. A Rogue and a Knight. Our DM thinks this is impossible, but we plan to prove him wrong. If you're interested in seeing half the average party size attempt to conquer a dungeon spanning character levels 1-20, stay tuned!

Prologue: The Characters
    First, we will introduce Rogue. Rogue is a ladies man, and few have been seen who can shoot a crossbow better than him. His hobbies include disarming traps, picking pockets, and long walks on the beach.
    Feats:
    Point Blank Shot
    Precise Shot
    Preferred Weapons:
    Short Sword
    Crossbow (any).
    Now, without any further ado, Knight is here to tell you a little bit about himself.

Knight is a noble and humble man, who enjoys referring to himself in the third person. His strength is notable, and his endurance is the subject of the songs of bards! With axe and halberd, he plans to explore this dungeon, slaying monsters and gathering wealth. His feats include power attack, Cleave, and Combat reflexes, the first of which is part of his class training.

Together, they fight crime. explore dungeons.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Adventures of Knight and Rogue

This sounds incredible. I wish you two the best of luck!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

yeah I want to know how you guys face this challenge.
    Keep us posted

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by NekoJoker View Post
    yeah I want to know how you guys face this challenge.
    Keep us posted
    Double entendre FTW!

Anyways: This seems good. Will subscribe to this and watch intently.
    -Xavez
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Stand-still on the enemies and let Rogue pick them off from the shadows? Seems like a workable tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dishwatat View Post
    With axe and halberd, he plans to explore this dungeon, slaying monsters and gathering wealth.
    Be warned, unless houseruled otherwise, halberd doesn't have reach.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You guys actually posted about this? You're both ridiculous...

*sigh* Well, since it seems you've already gotten some fans, I guess I have no choice but to actually DM this. Don't say I didn't warn you, though! (I'm predicting death by stirges and darkmantles.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good luck, guys! I'm pulling for you. :3

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Should be fun. Short maybe, but fun nonetheless! Good luck.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

We shall totally accomplish this! As noble Knight, I shall ascertain that my full 15 hp stand between rogue and danger!

I...am heavy weapons guy. Tiny puny babies will all die![/thickrussianaccent]

But yeah. I think I'll be mostly using the halberd, and only bust out the shield when I need to. Unless... *plots quietly*
    Kaldan Ageus - Always available, but never free. ~~~Fallen. He shall quickly be forgotten by most, but for those he set on fire.

Halone Bladesson - The sword has its own zeal, and a firm sense of purpose. ~~~Lost. Worms have taken him. May he one day find peace.

Baz Baeaz - Teacher of the lost; may he find what he seeks. ~~~ The Ancient is fallen. In death, he finds his student once more.

Soterios Johnson - The most dangerous men are those who have nothing left to lose...

11. - Top - End - #11

If your gear includes a shield, why not carry a tower shield on your back, so you can just spin around to act as moving cover for your rogue buddy? Also you might want to look at the Shield Charge feat from Complete Warrior.... run into somebody and clotheline them with your shield, good times, good times...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmon_Sama View Post
    If your gear includes a shield, why not carry a tower shield on your back, so you can just spin around to act as moving cover for your rogue buddy?
    Heh, doesn't work that way, but it'd be amusing.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Remember, if all else fails.........run away. I once went into this particular dungeon and kept losing half my party, mainly because they couldn't remember that running is a very important tactic.

Good Luck!!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Of course, of course...It's all so clear now! I have it! *maniacal laughter*.

Also, just took a look into my PHBII and found out I was using...not the knight. I found a bad wiki...

And must restat! Well, no, not really. Just going to be trading around feats a bit, since knights do not actually get Power Attack. Which, of course, invalidates cleave. Since my DM has found this thread, this is fair warning. Trading Cleave for Armour Focus [Heavy]. And Combat reflexes is dropped for Armour Specialization [Heavy].
    Kaldan Ageus - Always available, but never free. ~~~Fallen. He shall quickly be forgotten by most, but for those he set on fire.

Halone Bladesson - The sword has its own zeal, and a firm sense of purpose. ~~~Lost. Worms have taken him. May he one day find peace.

Baz Baeaz - Teacher of the lost; may he find what he seeks. ~~~ The Ancient is fallen. In death, he finds his student once more.

Soterios Johnson - The most dangerous men are those who have nothing left to lose...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Not sure how long you'll last without a mage and a healer, but I'm supporting you! Good luck!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This sounds awesome. I will be watching this carefully!
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thanks everyone! We're gonna do this! I had no idea we'd get this big of a response! For YOU, the faithful supporters, WE WILL NOT FALL!!!!!!
    Do your worst Dungeon Master!
    Last edited by Dishwatat; 2010-05-20 at 12:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Dear lord. DM, ignore him.

Okay, friend, I know you haven't run with him as DM very much, but trust me when I say this: He accepts those challenges. With gusto. And then we die horribly.

Just...don't say that sort of thing. It's along the lines of "How can it be any worse?" or "What else can go wrong?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I have two tips for beating the first map of the dungeon: The knight should take blindfighting (I'd recommend it for the rogue as well, except you can't deal sneak attack damage if you've got any miss chance, so it's not really worth the feat). Second, if it is attached to your head, you don't have to roll against a miss chance for not being able to see it!

That is all.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Hopefully, a 20-22 AC will help, along with a very nice AoO plan, but...stirges and darkmantles. Oh, for the old days of Piercers...

21. - Top - End - #21

All these guys need to do is get to level 6, get Leadership and get casters for themselves. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

but how will the casters do trying to get to them?

the adventures of Cleric and Sorcerer
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    I have two tips for beating the first map of the dungeon: The knight should take blindfighting (I'd recommend it for the rogue as well, except you can't deal sneak attack damage if you've got any miss chance, so it's not really worth the feat). Second, if it is attached to your head, you don't have to roll against a miss chance for not being able to see it!

That is all.
    While I appreciate the help, Knight and I want to do this fairly, so I would request no information on the dungeon. Suggestions for improving our character's are completely welcome though! Leadership is a must have, and I really want combat expertise for any sticky situations.

24. - Top - End - #24

My friend and I started The World's Largest Dungeon with 2 characters. A Rogue and a Knight. Our DM thinks this is impossible, but we plan to prove him wrong. If you're interested in seeing half the average party size attempt to conquer a dungeon spanning character levels 1-20, stay tuned!
    And not the easiest half, either. Good luck

If Knight is a tank/defender (that's PHB2 knight we're talking about, right ?) with an AoO-focused build, some spiked chain abuse might be in order - and Stand Still is an evidence. But of course, it would be hard to get the proficiency without spending a feat on it, dipping into some obscure PrC, or getting it for free by DM fiat - by far my favorite solution when it comes to exotic weapons. There's also those two funny little feats, one that gives you an AoO against enemies you flank that attack someone else, and another one that lets you ignore your Combat Expertise penalty to attacks rolls for your AoOs, but I think both are Dragon Magazine material...

I don't really know the details of the World's Largest Dungeon, but it would be fair to ask your DM to modify remove any obstacle that's too much dependant of magic for its resolution, at least until you reach level 6 and become absolutely obsolete get your spellcasting cohorts.

Also, if it doesn't work with only a Rogue and a Knight, it might be interesting to try it again as a Gestalt game. There's some low-powered combinations that doesn't really modify the character concept (much less so than most PrCs) while adding quite a lot of much-needed capabilities. Rogue//Ranger (full BAB, archery feats, favored enemy, ranger spells) and Knight//Fighter (fortitude save, bonus feats) comes immediately to mind.
    Last edited by Murdim; 2010-05-21 at 12:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    If Knight is a tank/defender (that's PHB2 knight we're talking about, right ?) with an AoO-focused build, some spiked chain abuse might be in order - and Stand Still is an evidence. But of course, it would be hard to get the proficiency without spending a feat on it, dipping into some obscure PrC, or getting it for free by DM fiat - by far my favorite solution when it comes to exotic weapons.
    Spiked Chain is sometimes worth the feat, but often you'll do as well with a guisarme and armour spikes.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

A two-man, low-op party trying to solo the WLD? Yeah, I'm not sure that's going to turn out so well. Pray your DM is the kind that bends the rules a bit. Or allows Gestalt.

27. - Top - End - #27

Stab the rogue. Thats all I need to say

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I'm definitely taking combat reflexes for my level three feat. Probably. Or I'll take Armour Mastery [Heavy], and finish that feat line. Hm.

Decisions, Decisions.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    Stab the rogue. Thats all I need to say
    Great, thanks for contributing. Really helpful.

I know it will be hard, but I think that's part of the fun. We're gonna prove that you don't NEED magic in an extensive game.
    I am Rogue.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "The guards overpower you and throw you in jail for the night. Your hands are manacled."
    Blade Daylis: "I attempt to break the manacles."
    DM: "Your inebriation prevents you from focusing your strength enough to perform such a feat."
    BD: "I head-butt the door."
    *Roll roll*
    DM: "You crash your head against the door, shuddering the frame and almost throwing it off it's hinges."
    BD: "SWEET!"
    *Roll roll*
    DM: "Oh, also you're unconscious."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Great, thanks for contributing. Really helpful.
    It was, actually - chances are, the rogue will stab you!
    Unless you are the rogue... in which case I'm watching you...