New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Lesser Aasimar

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Lesser Aasimar

Where do I find the stats for the +0 LA Lesser Aasimar? There's the excerpt on p. 191 of PGtF that says lesser planetouched are Humanoid (Planetouched), but what else is different from the standard Aasimar?
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lesser Aasimar

Quote Originally Posted by goken04 View Post
    Where do I find the stats for the +0 LA Lesser Aasimar? There's the excerpt on p. 191 of PGtF that says lesser planetouched are Humanoid (Planetouched), but what else is different from the standard Aasimar?
    Nothing else changes. That's it. Ta-da, Lesser Aasimar are exactly the same as normal ones, just the type changes.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Nothing else changes. That's it. Ta-da, Lesser Aasimar are exactly the same as normal ones, just the type changes.
    This is often more of a benefit than a problem, because as an Outsider you're immune to many Resurrection spells, which is not a good thing.

Yeah, Lesser Aasimar are pretty bloody good.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    This is often more of a benefit than a problem, because as an Outsider you're immune to many Resurrection spells, which is not a good thing.
    Not Native Outsiders. Those can be raised just the same.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Except that as Outsider (Native), those spells work just fine on normal aasimar.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

But hey, the good news... your teifling can stop fretting about all those Outsider Bane weapons the holy types are always running around with.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, Lesser Aasimar are pretty bloody good.
    You lose all the big awesome of being an Aasimar though. Outsider type is pretty awesome and it doesn't hurt that it vastly empowers Polymorph/Alter Self for most of your career (not that they weren't powerful enough already, but extra never hurts).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    But hey, the good news... your teifling can stop fretting about all those Outsider Bane weapons the holy types are always running around with.
    Tieflings never had to worry about those in the first place. There isn't a bane keyed to their type.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Doesn't "Outsider Bane (evil)" work on any outsider with an evil alignment, as well as any outsider with the Evil subtype?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Doesn't "Outsider Bane (evil)" work on any outsider with an evil alignment, as well as any outsider with the Evil subtype?
    Nope. "A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature." Outsiders can only be picked by specifying the subtype (unlike, say, dragons).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You lose all the big awesome of being an Aasimar though.
    Wisdom bonus, Charisma bonus, no ability penalties, Spot and Listen bonus, Darkvision, three separate energy resistances, and Daylight. Fairly overpowered for a +0 LA race.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Wisdom bonus, Charisma bonus, no ability penalties, Spot and Listen bonus, Darkvision, three separate energy resistances, and Daylight. Fairly overpowered for a +0 LA race.
    You retain Darkvision?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

I think so, yes.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    You retain Darkvision?
    I believe it's called out as a Aasimar racial trait, so, yes.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Specifically, you lose racial martial weapon proficiency.

Overpowered compared to what? Dwarf? A melee race with a con bonus, and penalty to a typical melee dump stat, darkvision, stonecunning, +2 on saving throws against the most dangerous things out there(Spells and spell-likes), Stability(another melee boost), a 20' land speed that doesn't take penalties for wearing heavy armor(not a boost, more like a strong suggestion), plus a laundry list of more situational abilities.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Overpowered compared to what? Dwarf? A melee race with a con bonus, and penalty to a typical melee dump stat, darkvision, stonecunning, +2 on saving throws against the most dangerous things out there(Spells and spell-likes), Stability(another melee boost), a 20' land speed that doesn't take penalties for wearing heavy armor(not a boost, more like a strong suggestion), plus a laundry list of more situational abilities.
    Yeah, I'd say the aasimar is significantly better. +2 wis and +2 cha are probably stronger than that list on their own, assuming you're playing a Wis/Cha-based caster (which was why you picked the race, right?)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can also increase your stat/resistance options for planetouched races by considering a (chaotic descent) Cansin (+2 int,+2 cha) or (lawful descent) Axani (+2 int, +2 wis ) from (Dragon #297).

You could also try to pass trough your DM a lesser version of DeathTouched (+4 Cha, +2 Wis and -2 Con) from (Dragon #313)...

...through the (PGtF p. 191) lesser planetouched redux.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Then there is also the Magic-Blooded racial varient template from (Dragon #306)

...that can be applied to any base race for (+2 Cha, -2 Wis) and a favored class of sorcerer (among other things)... for no increase in LA.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Aasimar was too weak to merit a full +1LA anyways.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

+2 wis and +2 cha are probably stronger than that list on their own, assuming you're playing a Wis/Cha-based caster (which was why you picked the race, right?)
    That's not exactly a great specific statement, though, as (many) people will play to their racial strengths. That's like saying a half-orc is a better race than a lesser aasimar because they make better barbarians.

A better argument is, does dwarf help the classes it leans towards better than a lesser aasimar does to its?

Of course, the Lesser Aasimar then stands up (for sorcerors) pretty tall even in that respect compared to (say) a grey elf for wizards, as the elves get a penalty to constitution. It's comparable, though, as dexterity is far more important to a sorceror/wizard than wisdom, and then weapon usage, prestige class options, and substitutions/feats are likely more likely to even things out a touch more. Or humans/StrongheartHalfling for feats, which I personally don't value as much as most but hey.

That still makes them (Lesser Aassimar) pretty strong, though. But they're not like many of the anthropomorphic animals who are such outstandingly good picks for their logical classes that it's practically crazy not to. :P
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Any race that makes paladins that bit more viable is fine by me...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with Saph on this one - lesser aasimar is a strong race for +0 LA. Not as broken as something ridiculous like anthropomorphic baleen whale or phaerimm, obviously, but certainly up there with water orc, whisper gnome, etc.

Nothing else gives +2 Cha/Wis for +0 LA, and with so few other racial features you could also slap Dragonborn on there for +2 Cha/Wis/Con/-2 Dex with a breath weapon or wings.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Like it or not, any race with two ability bonuses and no ability penalty is not a standard LA +0 race by WotC standards. Case in point: Hobgoblins.

FR is generally considered a high-powered setting, and lot of the feats, races etc. native to the setting are fairly high on the power curve. Not saying everything in FR is OP by any stretch, but in general, it seems to be designed with a higher power/optimization level in mind than core 3.X.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap, Dio died last week?? That's horrible...
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    FR is generally considered a high-powered setting, and lot of the feats, races etc. native to the setting are fairly high on the power curve. Not saying everything in FR is OP by any stretch, but in general, it seems to be designed with a higher power/optimization level in mind than core 3.X.
    Or just worse balanced. It's hard to imagine anyone intending a power level like that of Incantatrix/Halruaan Elder/Initiate of Mystra. It has more than its share of crap though. When's the last time you saw e.g. a Purple Dragon Knight overpowering anyone? (Okay, it does require Leadership so that's certainly possible, but still, the class features really suck.)
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

25. - Top - End - #25

Lesser Aasimar have the planetouched trait that makes them susceptible to humanoid AND outsider effects. They can be banished, and they can be hit with charm person.

That said, a trip to dragonborn fixes most of that.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Spellcasters have always been breaking the game in core.

FR was just more honest and upfront about it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Or just worse balanced. It's hard to imagine anyone intending a power level like that of Incantatrix/Halruaan Elder/Initiate of Mystra. It has more than its share of crap though. When's the last time you saw e.g. a Purple Dragon Knight overpowering anyone? (Okay, it does require Leadership so that's certainly possible, but still, the class features really suck.)
    Consider who you're talking about. WotC spent a long time making MtG before they bought D&D. By 7 years. Then consider that in MtG, there's 3 primary deckstyles, Creature(or combat), Control, and Combo. Note how only 2 of these can be translated well into D&D from MtG. Combo decks, which rely on NI resources, don't 'break' the MtG format, and in fact, can be stopped by their non-combo peers(You have infinite green creatures? Mass Calcify!). In D&D, you've got what was originally the same basic group, cutting out rocks from Rock/Scissors/Paper. There's inevitably going to be some issues where they don't realize that combo == bad in D&D.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Holy crap, Dio died last week?? That's horrible...
    Yeah, it's sad news. He was just about my favorite ever vocalist.